ADVERTISEMENT

93hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 19, 2004
Why are we not bringing in a 197 for next fall to RS during Burak's senior season? Unless it's already decided to wrestle Klapp next year, and sit Burak until 2016-17?

Patrick Downey was the 197 pound junior college National Champ at Iowa Central this year. He will be taking an Olympic Redshirt this year at the OTC and the have 3 years left after Burak graduates. He would be a great option.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

What if we are throwing that weight away to save $$$ for Lee/suriano/hall...PSU already proved you only need 2-3 studs and moderate supporting cast to win..we have the supporting cast and maybe 1 stud (Clark)

Originally posted by zeko:
Cash wilke?
I was just going to say the same thing. Wilcke is coming in to wrestle at 195. He will be the heir apparent to Nathan Burak....

Suriano is an absolute stud and would be a great get. Yates is a stud also so I will trust Tom on this one. Wilcke has said he will be at 184, that could change though.

Wilke looked like a 184 more than a 197 to me to not surprised he is saying 184.

I'm in favor of Brooks going on that Heflin workout plan and bumping up to 197 for his senior year. He has the frame for it IMO.

Originally posted by clhawks00:
I'm in favor of Brooks going on that Heflin workout plan and bumping up to 197 for his senior year. He has the frame for it IMO.
I agree, he looks gased at times at 184 I have noticed . He would be much quicker vs 197 pounders as well.

An Iowan 197 lber still avalible is Steven Holloway. I don't know where he sits with Iowa, but I'd say he defiantly the best in-state option maybe the best option left for this class.

As much as I like Downey I'm not sure it would be smart to have him be our only option.

Originally posted by Chopper25:
An Iowan 197 lber still avalible is Steven Holloway. I don't know where he sits with Iowa, but I'd say he defiantly the best in-state option maybe the best option left for this class.

As much as I like Downey I'm not sure it would be smart to have him be our only option.
I like him too, not sure if he is going football of what. Seems like a quality wrestler at a need weight. We better have a real good sure fire plan if we are not going after him.

Be good Mr. Downey and make it happen. Colbray would be nice but cost might be a problem with what we have potentially in our sight.

Nobody loves line up talk more than me, but there seems to be no easy answer to the 197 riddle.
A) Klapp then Burak (Burak shirts next year)
B) Burak then Brooks (everyboy moves up)
C) Burak then Downing
Seems a little like "Let's make a Deal".

What's behind "Curtain D" ?

Work with a guy who is very connected to the MD wrestling scene. Based on his stories about Downey, he would be a pretty risky play unless he has really matured recently. Not saying that this can't happen and that kids don't deserve second chances from time to time. Or maybe third chances. He has talent, that's not debatable.

I would love to see the Hawks look at Timothy Young from Aurora. 3a Illinois Champ that is long athletic and raw. Could be good in the future, no idea what his plans currently are.

Klapp has less talent than Kelly. We don't want him in the line-up.

Why does Burak need to redshirt, the champ clears out, and Schiller is out. You wait another year and McEntosh clears. Other that the 5 other AA's will still be there.

That comment about Klapprodt is unfair and inaccurate, IMO. The kid came in at 174 and bumped two weight classes to help the team, much like Chad Beatty did. He held his own pretty well at 197 this year. Yes, Gadson stuck him, but he went toe to toe with him for about 4 minutes before getting cradled. And Snyder will attest that even a stud can get stuck by Gadson.

I'm not saying Klapprodt is AA material, but the kid has busted his butt for 4 years and done OK, especially considering how he's bumped up two weight classes. I don't think we need to be slamming his talent on here. He's a great kid, he lives the lifestyle, and all he's done since he got to Iowa City has been to work hard and keep his nose clean. Would love to see him make you eat your words.

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:
That comment about Klapprodt is unfair and inaccurate, IMO. The kid came in at 174 and bumped two weight classes to help the team, much like Chad Beatty did. He held his own pretty well at 197 this year. Yes, Gadson stuck him, but he went toe to toe with him for about 4 minutes before getting cradled. And Snyder will attest that even a stud can get stuck by Gadson.

I'm not saying Klapprodt is AA material, but the kid has busted his butt for 4 years and done OK, especially considering how he's bumped up two weight classes. I don't think we need to be slamming his talent on here. He's a great kid, he lives the lifestyle, and all he's done since he got to Iowa City has been to work hard and keep his nose clean. Would love to see him make you eat your words.
Klap has made nice strides and has represented the program well. I wouldn't count him out as a round of 12 guy if he can make another jump this offseason.

Almost everyone in that room is living the lifestyle, working incredibly hard and keeping their nose clean. I would never question someone's passion/character/effort (like people loved to do with Jeva and Moore) due to their wrestling results. I simply don't think he is a very good wrestler. If he proves me wrong, good for us.

When you sit out a year, it's usually to wait out a superstar (like Retherford and Megaludis). This isn't the case for Nathan.

I also think we're in the hunt for the championship next NCAA's and I'd hate to do the "what if" (like Penn State).

You have no objective way to support your assertion that Klapprodt is less talented than Kelly. So why even throw that crap around on here? I suggest you keep that kind of garbage to yourself. It accomplishes nothing except insulting a great young man. That's productive.

My own personal eyeball test is all I need.

If you want results though, the lose to the D2 Siefert in the first round of Midlands was ugly, Polizzi stuck him, he couldn't beat an out of shape Campolattano, and he lost to the ISU backup Harrington.

You seem to be high on him, what results do you think point to him as being of solid talent or simply your own eyeball test? Either way, I respect your opinion and hope you're right.

Plenty of guys have had losses that are less than pretty over the course of a season. That said, out of shape or not, Campolattano is still an excellent wrestler, and Harrington may be a back-up but he's still a tremendous talent, if you want to talk about talent. He was redshirting as most freshmen -- even the very best ones -- do, and as you know, he was backing up the national champ. You probably realize that Harrington will probably be one of the best guys in the ISU lineup starting next season, and I fully expect him to be a multiple AA. Polizzi is funky and dangerous and has given Burak fits over the years. I wouldn't say those losses are all that bad. If you're talking about Shane Siefert of UW Whitewater, he's actually DIII -- not DII -- but he's also a 2x national finalist. You might remember that Burak has taken some losses to DIII guys in the past, and he's a 2x AA in D1 with a R12 finish as a freshman. So these "ugly" losses really aren't all that ugly, after all.

Of course I'm high on Kris, but that's mainly because of the kind of person he is. Countless Iowa wrestlers have made steady strides over the years and ended up AA quality by their senior years. I wouldn't expect Kris to AA at 197 next year, but I'm not going to say it's completely out of the question after he has another year to grow into 197. I do think he'd have had more success down at his natural weight, and I think it's unfair to knock his talent considering that he's up two weight classes. Chad Beatty didn't exactly light the world on fire at 197, but nobody was knocking his talent, nor should they have done so.

My main point is that there's no need to be criticizing any Iowa wrestler's talent, especially when he's wrestling up two weight classes, busting his butt to do his best to help the team, and serving as an excellent role model for Iowa's kids. He's also doing things right in the classroom, as he earned Academic All Big Ten honors this year. This is the kind of kid who deserves our praise.

Originally posted by rival_me:
apparently wilcke has other ideas of where he's wrestling in college....

"Despite Wilcke wrestling 195 for the past year, the wrestler says he intends to wrestle at 184 when he gets to Iowa as opposed to wrestling 197 for the Hawks."
He wrestled 195 this season, did so to enjoy his last season not having to worry about cutting.

Originally posted by MVPFAN:

Originally posted by clhawks00:
I agree, he looks gased at times at 184 I have noticed . He would be much quicker vs 197 pounders as well.
If Brooks goes 197, he'd better lay off the upper body stuff till he's full on 197.

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:
Plenty of guys have had losses that are less than pretty over the course of a season. That said, out of shape or not, Campolattano is still an excellent wrestler, and Harrington may be a back-up but he's still a tremendous talent, if you want to talk about talent. He was redshirting as most freshmen -- even the very best ones -- do, and as you know, he was backing up the national champ. You probably realize that Harrington will probably be one of the best guys in the ISU lineup starting next season, and I fully expect him to be a multiple AA. Polizzi is funky and dangerous and has given Burak fits over the years. I wouldn't say those losses are all that bad. If you're talking about Shane Siefert of UW Whitewater, he's actually DIII -- not DII -- but he's also a 2x national finalist. You might remember that Burak has taken some losses to DIII guys in the past, and he's a 2x AA in D1 with a R12 finish as a freshman. So these "ugly" losses really aren't all that ugly, after all.

Of course I'm high on Kris, but that's mainly because of the kind of person he is. Countless Iowa wrestlers have made steady strides over the years and ended up AA quality by their senior years. I wouldn't expect Kris to AA at 197 next year, but I'm not going to say it's completely out of the question after he has another year to grow into 197. I do think he'd have had more success down at his natural weight, and I think it's unfair to knock his talent considering that he's up two weight classes. Chad Beatty didn't exactly light the world on fire at 197, but nobody was knocking his talent, nor should they have done so.

My main point is that there's no need to be criticizing any Iowa wrestler's talent, especially when he's wrestling up two weight classes, busting his butt to do his best to help the team, and serving as an excellent role model for Iowa's kids. He's also doing things right in the classroom, as he earned Academic All Big Ten honors this year. This is the kind of kid who deserves our praise.
About as well put as it could be.

Giving an opinion on a wrestler's talent level I think is very much inbounds on a wrestling message board. Much more so than the interpretation of a book written two-thousand years ago about a man in the sky.

no shame losing to Harrington, that kid could open some eyes next year.can anyone tell me where the burak red shirt idea is coming from, is there a basis for it or is it strictly speculation.

I don't think Sidenotes opinion is that ludacris. Yes Camp is good yes Harrington is good, but they aren't Cox, McIntosh or Snyder. So if we can already chalk him up to losing to the Camps and the Harrintons of the weight what will happen against the top tier guys. Do we really put guys in the line up on a hope they go 2-2 or are round of 12 guys?

I think he would be better off gaining 20 more lbs and challenging Stoll.

Sometimes the guys who post all the time are quick to jump on people for having an honest opinion.

Originally posted by Chopper25:
I don't think Sidenotes opinion is that ludacris. Yes Camp is good yes Harrington is good, but they aren't Cox, McIntosh or Snyder. So if we can already chalk him up to losing to the Camps and the Harrintons of the weight what will happen against the top tier guys. Do we really put guys in the line up on a hope they go 2-2 or are round of 12 guys?

I think he would be better off gaining 20 more lbs and challenging Stoll.

Sometimes the guys who post all the time are quick to jump on people for having an honest opinion.
I wouldn't say I jumped on anyone. I'd say I stuck up for a kid who didn't deserve to have his talent level denigrated on an anonymous message board. I was sharing my own honest opinion in response to one with which I disagreed. I thought I backed it up pretty rationally. Doesn't seem too. . . ludicrous. . . to me.

Sometimes posters are too quick to jump on people who have an honest opinion that disagrees with someone else's opinion.

This post was edited on 3/30 9:08 PM by WWDMHawkeye

Originally posted by wasdt21:

no shame losing to Harrington, that kid could open some eyes next year.can anyone tell me where the burak red shirt idea is coming from, is there a basis for it or is it strictly speculation.
I believe the Burak redshirt idea started this year after Nate hurt his knee at the Luther open. I think it was only discussed because he was out for awhile and missed some time. If Bowman or Wilcke are our 97 pounder after Nate graduates our staff has left us a hole in the lineup once again.

For the record, I didn't mean to imply that sidenote's post was ludicrous. The only part with which I disagreed was the part about Klapprodt's talent. Just sticking up for my guy. Sidenote's certainly entitled to his opinion -- I just disagreed.

In addition, I don't have any illusions that Kris is a likely AA, and I don't mean to imply that he should be starting next year. If he did, for whatever reason, I'd sure root hard for him and hope for the best, and if he did AA, he'd be far from the first unheralded Iowa guy to overachieve. No doubt it would be a surprise, however.

And chopper, your point is well-taken -- just having a little fun there.

After reading the thread, I certainly can see where WWDM is coming from. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. That said, while certain wrestlers don't live up to OUR expectations of them the two wrestlers "cut down" in the one sentence have never been in trouble (that I know of) have combined for 9 years in the Iowa room and were each All B1G Academic (multiple?) selections. Great young men to have on the Iowa team.

We don't have an R12-caliber 197-pounder behind Burak, much less a high AA. That's TnT's fault, and it's 8+ NCAA points we're going to lose, in addition to the 20 we're already missing.

Wilcke is a self-proclaimed 184-pounder who's not ranked among the top 8 195-pounders in HS by either Intermat or Flo.

Klapprodt is a hard worker. Don't wanna piss off WWMD, not gonna say anything else.

I'd take a chance on Downey if he doesn't tie up too much money, but is he really high-AA caliber or is he an R12 guy that scores 3 team points? If the latter, stick with Klapp, score 0-1 point, invest in getting a future NCAA champ like Hall or Lee who can score 25, and stop farting around.

No malice intended toward anyone. Just counting NCAA points and being a realist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT