ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Class

bhelm22

HR All-State
Aug 25, 2007
One of the most exciting parts to me about this class...

Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (De La Salle)
Oak Hill Academy

That's some good ground to establish some recruiting roots in.

Reactions: hooper56

Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (De La Salle)
Oak Hill Academy

Yep. The coaches have made great progress gaining interest from some of the powerhouse HS programs. If Iowa can keep winning, we should have a great shot at getting players from these teams, which regularly produce future college stars...

Yep, the staff's efforts recruiting the Chicago area are thankfully starting to pay-off. Hopefully, Hutton and Moss are just the first wave in an open Chicago pipeline to Iowa.

That is one of the exciting things to me as well. Especially considering that after Jok (2013) we haven't seen a strictly Iowa guy in two classes (Jones comes closest). I think we not only expanded our footprint, our sphere of influence, but did so while surviving a local drought of talent.

:) Fair warning Big Ten, Iowa isn't finished improving! It may not be without the occasional heartbreak of missing on a kid. But then all programs suffer that. But one thing we know we've got is a coach that can: recruit the state, retain and develop talent, and will battle it out with anyone for a player, in any market big (Chicago) or small (Tyler CC).

Reactions: KeyWest Tim
Getting guys from Illinois for the sake of getting guys from a different state isn't a win in and of itself. We want Chicago guys that the rest of the Big 10 coaches want. Beating MAC schools for Chicago kids is something any coach (Lick and Alford included) can do.

Getting guys from Illinois for the sake of getting guys from a different state isn't a win in and of itself. We want Chicago guys that the rest of the Big 10 coaches want. Beating MAC schools for Chicago kids is something any coach (Lick and Alford included) can do.

Great point if it ever comes to that. Hutton was offered by Wisconsin, drawing interest from Indiana. Moss was offered by Iowa State, among others. And the Dekatur, Illinois kid, Williams, was offered by St. Louis and drawing interest from Illinois.

I hate mixing rankings, and would prefer to just say that all three are unranked three stars according to Rivals. But if we're looking for trivial good bits...lets call them "Hope Snacks", Williams and Moss made a midseason top ten list from Joe Henricksen, sports writer and high school basketball in Illinois freak for the Chicago Sun Times. Moss was an ESPN four star, and Hutton was a four star for that most useless (in my opinion) of sites 247sports.

re: Chicago recruits. Anyone know what ever happened to former Iowa target Malik Yarborough?

re: Chicago recruits. Anyone know what ever happened to former Iowa target Malik Yarborough?

Guess which is true. :)

He opened up a Shopping Square. Kind of a mall. Called "Yarborough Square", on Saturdays the Farmer's Market sells parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Sounds good, are you going?
or....
He plays St. Louis.

Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (De La Salle)
Oak Hill Academy

Certainly some good pedigree from those schools. I love the guys we have...this yr incoming and the returning roster. I spend all summer wishing the season could start. So many variables...injuries, grades, transfers, chemistry, on and on.

I follow an mlb team that hadn't won a world series during my lifetime. They learned how to win, and now they expect it. That is the day i'm anxious to see for the Hawkeyes.Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Championships can be won with exceptional defense, sound fundamentals, and clutch performances.

That being said, I hope someone on the roster is capable. I think there are a couple. Won't lay any undue pressure on them, but the names are conspicuous. I can't wait to see this team.

I have my IClub banquet tickets. Anyone else going?

Wayne Huber Heights is no slouch either....not only state champs this year but also runners up in Ohio D1 football and the alma mater of Braxton Miller and many others...

Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (De La Salle)
Oak Hill Academy

I think getting guys from All-Ohio Red and Mac Irvin Fire are huge. These programs produce really good recruits each year, going after 1 from All Ohio Red this year (Nick Ward), and 3 from Mac Irvin Fire (Moore, Rakocevic, and Santos). If Fran and staff can consistently get a recruit from these programs we'll be in good shape.

Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (De La Salle)
Oak Hill Academy

I think this is going to be a hard nosed class coming in. These players already playing at a high level and against the best competition.

(Fleming) can launch a barrage of 3 pointers at any given time. Very good passer.
(Moss) is another 3 point threat and can also get to the rim.
(Hutton) is very good on the defensive end and very underrated on his short jumpers.
(Wagner) can be strong under the basket and pull down rebounds.
(Williams) could very well be a Marble protege.
(Jones) will be the piece to take over for white the next two years. Another 3 point threat.

Agree, now find a way somehow to keep winning, then start getting the BETTER rated recruits out of Chicago.

Oh to only have Ulis, that would have truly started a great snowball effect IMHO.

Fran is STILL paying for it a bit. I think if he gets that recruit, we are on a the verge of being a perennial top 10 program right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT