ADVERTISEMENT

5 random thoughts from outsider

A

anon_snp6dc585nnj4

KHAK article. Number 5 is directed towards Iowans attitudes towards college sports.

"Only going to say this once -- They are college students. The pressure you people put on these student athletes is so insane to me. You don't have pro sports teams in Iowa, I understand that and I'm sorry for you but that doesn't mean it's appropriate for you to treat these kids like they have the same multi-million dollar contracts the pros do. Not only do they have to worry about playing their best so they don't disappoint you, but they also have to worry about practices on top of classes and homework and trying to have a normal college student social life. Go easy on them, I'm sure they're doing the best they can."

Seems accurate to me. Thoughts?

http://khak.com/5-things-people-who-live-in-cedar-rapids-need-to-stop-complaining-about/

Reactions: Coyote8
ekm26w.jpg

This is absolutely spot on. Problem is the meatheads that bash these kids to no end will not get it. They spew the fact that if they "pay their way through school" by buying tickets then it comes with the territory. Sad

Reactions: Coyote8
The writer needs to move to the south and then reconsider how much pressure us Iowans put on these kids

Reactions: yiana
Love this post...not sure what bashing the players who are trying to turn around the program does for anyone. They get up early...leave late...determined to make a difference. But the positive is the players are young...actually have a life...and don't come here. And down south...the pressure is higher and the weather and pay are better.

I haven't really been involved in the bickering as you all can see by my post history.

I feel though, most of the bashing is directed toward the coaching staff. No?

Sub par recrecruiting, huge holes on both sides of the ball, Kirk handing out titles, ect..

I haven't really been involved in the bickering as you all can see by my post history.

Sub par recrecruiting, huge holes on both sides of the ball, Kirk handing out titles, ect..
You feel sorry for the people in Iowa for not having a pro team. Now that's the best I've heard in a long time. I live in Illinois and sure don't feel any great love for any of the pro teams in this state. I personally have always wondered how someone can get so involved with those over paid athletes.

But they were really just booing the coaches. Honest, I swear......

Oh and #4. Finally, someone who agrees with me. If there's something I want to do that I couldn't do in Iowa...then I would drive there and do it....and then go back home and enjoy myself in my mostly non-poisonous snake and mostly non-poisonous spider and completely non-alligator-infested state.

I'd rather live in a state where I'd have to go completely out of my way, and then a few miles more, to find a dangerous wild or poisonous animal than harboring them in my back yard. F*** snakes.

That and I prefer to be a person who would defend the state of Iowa rather than a person who makes fun of it, usually out of sheer ignorance.

Which is why there is also this comment in the article for those people..................:

"In fact, most days it seems that people, in general, are not happy unless they have something to complain about. That being said, you can only “beat a drum” for so long before other people start wanting to beat you over the head so you’ll be quiet."

There are lots of casual fans who get to hear the negative noise day after day just like they do the positive noise....wonder which they prefer to listen to after, say, 5 months of it.

You feel sorry for the people in Iowa for not having a pro team. Now that's the best I've heard in a long time. I live in Illinois and sure don't feel any great love for any of the pro teams in this state. I personally have always wondered how someone can get so involved with those over paid athletes.

Lol, I'm hoping you incorrectly quoted my post.

Which is why there is also this comment in the article for those people..................:

"In fact, most days it seems that people, in general, are not happy unless they have something to complain about. That being said, you can only “beat a drum” for so long before other people start wanting to beat you over the head so you’ll be quiet."

There are lots of casual fans who get to hear the negative noise day after day just like they do the positive noise....wonder which they prefer to listen to after, say, 5 months of it.

You all should have told Michigan fans/students that... People that want change are going to express it, and most of the time is the only way these issues get solved.

People are Fed up with Iowa football under this staff and are going to express themselves until something is done about it. Fu(king deal with it.

KHAK article. Number 5 is directed towards Iowans attitudes towards college sports.

"Only going to say this once -- They are college students. The pressure you people put on these student athletes is so insane to me. You don't have pro sports teams in Iowa, I understand that and I'm sorry for you but that doesn't mean it's appropriate for you to treat these kids like they have the same multi-million dollar contracts the pros do. Not only do they have to worry about playing their best so they don't disappoint you, but they also have to worry about practices on top of classes and homework and trying to have a normal college student social life. Go easy on them, I'm sure they're doing the best they can."

Seems accurate to me. Thoughts?

http://khak.com/5-things-people-who-live-in-cedar-rapids-need-to-stop-complaining-about/
if only we some pro teams that a state like South Carolina, Alabama or Mississippi have!

The writer's points are well taken. There is WAY too much pressure put on student athletes these days but when all is said and done, who's to blame? The fans for "earning the right" to criticize and complain by buying costly tickets or paying for expensive TV packages? The student athletes who buy into the myths surrounding the importance of football versus the value of a well-earned course of academic study? The internet site owners who profit from the "everyone has a right to criticize" entertainment of today's brand of college football? The universities for allowing college athletics to get out of control, dominated by wealthy donors and ridiculous amounts of TV money? The coaches for negotiating obscenely huge salaries, all for the privilege of extracting huge amounts of time and out-of-the-classroom commitment (not to mention injuries) from scholarship athletes, the vast majority of whom will never realize their NFL dreams? The NFL for shamelessly promoting the business of football as some sort of Sunday religion where, behind the scenes, players are pieces of meat and head injuries are just unfortunate side-effects of a violent but extremely profitable enterprise? A bit of all of the above, perhaps?

1. The author is a woman from the Northeast who is writing a blog on a country music radio station. Who cares what the heck she thinks?

2. Being from the NE, what is her frame of reference for good college football? Rutgers? Syracuse? Boston College? She is like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie.

3. She also tells people to stop complaining about traffic cameras, Cedar Rapids odors, and winters. Maybe she'll talk next about kids and cell phones or waiting in line at the DMV.

4. Next weekend, a bunch of the boys are going to drive down to IC and heckle Hillyer and Vandeberg to let them know we business. No, we are not. What pressure are these "kids" getting from the average fan? The only interaction they have with 97% of the fans are those in the stands. Do they get psyched out by these message boards? Do they tape call-in shows after football games and listen to them over and over?

5. Using a "top 5 stop complaining Iowans" article from KHAK (Eastern Iowa's Best Country Music!). Man, the shills are getting desperate to find any, and I mean any, cover for the administration.

ADVERTISEMENT