ADVERTISEMENT

74KG

Azchief32

HR Heisman
Dec 20, 2012
If you love the sport of wrestling, then tomorrow is going to be a great day.

DT
Bye

Valencia
Caldwell

Dake
Sponsellar

Godley
Howe

65KG isn't going to be too shabby. Hate to see the guy who has to wrestle a fresh Metcalf at the end of that. I think Valencia gets past Caldwell to face DT. If this were folk, I wouldn't give Valencia a shot in hell but after seeing what he did to Caldwell, think he has a chance however minor. Should be a fun one.

I have been absolutely blown away by the Valencias but I still don't see Anthony keeping it close with Taylor. However, I wouldn't be shocked if he did get DT with the double a time or two

Reactions: Gink
Taylor pins Valencia and likely uses Valencia's aggression to do it. AV is very gifted but reckless while his brother is very gifted but more calculating.

I look for DT to do what he tries to do against JB...but with success. Will suffocate AV and not let him shoot that double from space. You make a good point...the bros are opposite sides of the same coin. AV is all offense while ZV is so hard to score on.

Am I crazy to think DT takes one of the best of the three from goldmemember???

From Burroughs? DT has to get through Dake first...which will be interesting to see how Dake is after a year off. If there was any time for DT to finally get a win, this is it.

I would like for DT to get a win just to make it interesting. However, JB is our best chance for World and Olympic Gold. I think Jordan is going to be the best U.S. wrestler ever on the international stage once he's done.

Although the transitive property doesn't necessarily apply in wrestling, it might give us a hint in this case. Taylor hung very tough with Burroughs last year, and Dake beat him handily today. I think Burroughs takes care of business, but I think Dake will push him to elevate his game in order to get it done. It's hard to bet against JB -- especially 2 out of 3 -- but I think it's pretty clear that Dake is his strongest competitor, and there's no doubt he believes he can do it, which makes him scary and is more than half of the battle in this sport. The guy sincerely believes he can beat anyone -- and usually does. One thing's certain -- Burroughs will have to wrestle well, even by his crazy standards, to take out Dake. I expect it to be very competitive.

I can see JB getting a bye to the finals, but for pete's sake, give the mini-tournament winner a day of rest! Either that or stick the champ in the tournament with a top seed. The World Games/Olympics make everyone wrestle it out.

JB is great, no doubt about it, but Dake ran a heckuva gauntlet. He was almost toast in the Howe match ( one of the greatest ones I've seen, ever). But there's something so blantantly unfair giving the Open Champ a bye to the finals on the same day as the tournament.

Metcalf, too and others, for that matter.

Also, this business of leg laces not exposing the back and still earning points is ridiculous. And...have I vented yet on the hose job that Reader got vs Ruth? Changed the whole match.

Reactions: Jaybird319
Freestyle rules are 100 times better than they were a few years ago when 1-1-ball-grab snoozefests were the norm. I like the 2 periods with cumulative scoring, the pushout, the 2-point TD, the ability to challenge and go to the replay.

I don't like:

1. The ability to TF someone in 10 seconds from a single leg lace. Should limit to 1 turn from each leg lace.
2. 10-point TF. Should be 15.
3. Calling passivity and going to shot clock when neither guy appears to be stalling.
4. The wild inconsistency in referees and judges in scoring.

Reactions: slicone
Freestyle rules are 100 times better than they were a few years ago when 1-1-ball-grab snoozefests were the norm. I like the 2 periods with cumulative scoring, the pushout, the 2-point TD, the ability to challenge and go to the replay.

I don't like:

1. The ability to TF someone in 10 seconds from a single leg lace. Should limit to 1 turn from each leg lace.
3. Calling passivity and going to shot clock when neither guy appears to be stalling.

^^^This. The 8 point leg lace is absolutely miserable... And on top of that, almost every competitor who was caught in a series of leg laces came out of it injured or gimpy.

I don't like:

While I agree that the leg lace can end a match quickly, I'm not sure limiting it is the answer. If you get a trap arm gut, you're not going to want to be limited to only one turn. I don't think they would limit the amount of turns for one move and not the others.

I don't like:

I get confused on how they determine who to call passivity on sometimes.

Reactions: sweatybetty
Wasn't hand-to-hand exposure only worth one point at one time? Would it be a good idea to return to that? - or learn how to defend the leg lace?

I get confused on how they determine who to call passivity on sometimes.

Especially when they mandate passivity on both guys with no score. One guy can shoot a crapload and still be called passive. In the large scheme, forcing action is great...we need something like it in folk but I was watching a match yesterday (can't remember who) where both got called yet one guy had at least four legitimate shots plus he was really forcing the ties. Just couldn't score.

Reactions: sweatybetty
Especially when they mandate passivity on both guys with no score. One guy can shoot a crapload and still be called passive. In the large scheme, forcing action is great...we need something like it in folk but I was watching a match yesterday (can't remember who) where both got called yet one guy had at least four legitimate shots plus he was really forcing the ties. Just couldn't score.
As explained by a ref, passivity calls are more for a lack of scoring than lack of action. Even if both guys or 1 guy is taking a ton of shots they both should have a legitimate expectation of being hit with passivity if neither is scoring.

Wasn't hand-to-hand exposure only worth one point at one time? Would it be a good idea to return to that? - or learn how to defend the leg lace?
Both I suppose. I don't care for the leg lace because it seems counterintuitive. There is often no exposure involved in going from hand to hand.

While I'm at it, a double leg takedown with a little exposure to the back ought to be worth 3, not 4. Ridiculous. Unless there's amplitude involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT