ADVERTISEMENT

A plurality of Americans believe God created humans without evolution

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Unbelievable:

House Speaker Mike Johnson’s (R-La.) sudden and unexpected elevation to the top job in the chamber last week meant that a lot of political observers (and more than a few politicians) were left playing catch-up. In the hours and days that followed his election as speaker, Americans learned a lot more about Johnson’s past rhetoric and advocacy, a background that sits squarely within the overlap of conservative and religious beliefs.

Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

One particular vignette came up repeatedly. Over the past decade, Johnson worked and advocated for a religious theme park in Kentucky, one centered around a recreation of the ark described in the Bible. The theme park elevates the idea that the world was created in its present form by God several thousand years ago; that there was no evolution involved in the emergence of different life forms, including humans.
Polling released this week by Suffolk University for USA Today indicates that this comports with the views of nearly 4 in 10 Americans — more than say either that human evolution was steered by God or that humans evolved without any divine intervention.
As you might expect — particularly given the beginning of this article — Republicans are much more likely to say humanity was the result of divine creation than are Democrats. A majority of Republicans say divine creation created humans; just under half of Democrats say that there was no divine role.

This overlaps with other demographic characteristics that mirror partisanship. Younger Americans are less likely to adopt the strictly creationist view of human existence; older Americans are more likely to. People with master’s degrees or other advanced degrees are more likely to believe in evolution, as are people who most trust NPR and PBS as news sources. Those without college degrees and who watch Fox News are more likely to be creationists.

ADVERTISING

Those who indicate that they plan to support former president Donald Trump in the Republican primary in their state are more likely to be creationists, in keeping with his strong support from White evangelical Christians over time. There are too few supporters of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) to be statistically significant, but among those who responded, their views were more moderate than those of Trump supporters.

What’s particularly interesting about the Suffolk data is that a separate question about religious service attendance doesn’t quite line up as neatly. Here are the percentages of each of the above groups that say they go to services or events at other religious congregations at least once a week (shades of purple) and those who go less frequently or never (orange).

Notice that, with a few exceptions, like age, the divisions aren’t as dramatic. There’s a 30-point gap between Democrats and Republicans on the evolution-creation question and only a 20-point gap on weekly church attendance. There’s a 50-point gap on evolution between those who trust NPR and those who trust Fox News but only a 25-point gap on attendance.
Perhaps the most striking comparison is education. Creationism is embraced by twice as many people with no more than a high school degree than those with a master’s or other advanced degree — but they report going to church weekly at relatively equal rates. There isn’t even a big gulf in the percentage of each group that says they never attend a religious service.

Johnson, an attorney, appears to fit into that left-most point, a reminder that these patterns aren’t universal. But there is a correlation between educational attainment and politics, with more-educated Americans tending to vote more Democratic. It’s therefore difficult from this poll to disentangle the causality between education, belief in the principle of evolution and partisan identity.
But the overlap tracks with Johnson’s background: he’s a more-conservative legislator who backed (if only indirectly) the more-conservative position on human emergence. It’s a position that has more adherents across the country than the idea that human evolution occurred independent of any divine actor.

First, believing that there was a divine role in human creation is not the same as believing the Earth is only 6000 years old.

That said, I am not shocked that the same percentage of people who believe the Earth is 6000 years old also happens to be about the same percentage of Americans that will vote for Donald Trump in the next election.

Please, not another religion thread. Brian and others can simply cut and paste the same crap......

No one's inspired or convinced. Biblical gobble-de-goop no one gives a shit about except Brian and others.

First, believing that there was a divine role in human creation is not the same as believing the Earth is only 6000 years old.

That said, I am not shocked that the same percentage of people who believe the Earth is 6000 years old also happens to be about the same percentage of Americans that will vote for Donald Trump in the next election.

Maybe not a direct correlation but an inability to apply logic. "Divine creation" - how stupid is it for an adult to buy into this nonsense?

Reactions: h-hawk and BioHawk
Please, not another religion thread. Brian and others can simply cut and paste the same crap......

No one's inspired or convinced. Biblical gobble-de-goop no one gives a shit about except Brian and others.

Discussing politics and religion doesn't really work to change minds, does it?

Not really, though it can have entertainment value. Whether it's controversial or adversarial, debate and conversation is what it's about. I knew my comment would trigger a response from you, which was my intent.

i am old enough to have observed much. Being liberal means to be open minded, open to new ideas. Who and why would not be? What kind of person shuts down free thought? To be young(er) and accept the spoon-fed propaganda conservative media pumps out is downright unintelligent. Not simply reject conservative propaganda, recognize and accept actual news and factual accounts.

This is not implying you are in this camp (other than the religious aspect) but I'm using this opportunity to raise the point.

Maybe not a direct correlation but an inability to apply logic. "Divine creation" - how stupid is it for an adult to buy into this nonsense?
Is luck just random chance or is it divine intervention? The idea that the random occurrences that led to humans evolving may have either been because of subtle manipulations by some mysterious outside force who has been manipulating life on Earth for billions of years or the idea that it was just random mutations combined with adaptation to environments and behaviors that led to humans are equally mind blowing in my opinion. Ultimately, as long as you acknowledge that it took mutations to create new traits that were either selected for or against by environment or behaviors, does it really matter on the "why" of it? Or to put it another way, you can think it happened for a reason or you can think we are just really, really lucky, but as long as it doesn't override the reality of the world we live in then it shouldn't matter how a person thinks about the why of life.

Not really, though it can have entertainment value. Whether it's controversial or adversarial, debate and conversation is what it's about. I knew my comment would trigger a response from you, which was my intent.

i am old enough to have observed much. Being liberal means to be open minded, open to new ideas. Who and why would not be? What kind of person shuts down free thought? To be young(er) and accept the spoon-fed propaganda conservative media pumps out is downright unintelligent. Not simply reject conservative propaganda, recognize and accept actual news and factual accounts.

This is not implying you are in this camp (other than the religious aspect) but I'm using this opportunity to raise the point.
I find having discussions like this also helps to clarify my own feelings, and actually helps me in communicating them to other people. Because unless you go with the simplest, "The world is 6000 years old because ma pastor says so" this is not an easy topic to discuss. It's very complicated.

This thread needs pictures. How about this one from the OP article.

Evolution-Politics-Poll-20231031.jpg

Unbelievable:

House Speaker Mike Johnson’s (R-La.) sudden and unexpected elevation to the top job in the chamber last week meant that a lot of political observers (and more than a few politicians) were left playing catch-up. In the hours and days that followed his election as speaker, Americans learned a lot more about Johnson’s past rhetoric and advocacy, a background that sits squarely within the overlap of conservative and religious beliefs.

Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

One particular vignette came up repeatedly. Over the past decade, Johnson worked and advocated for a religious theme park in Kentucky, one centered around a recreation of the ark described in the Bible. The theme park elevates the idea that the world was created in its present form by God several thousand years ago; that there was no evolution involved in the emergence of different life forms, including humans.
Polling released this week by Suffolk University for USA Today indicates that this comports with the views of nearly 4 in 10 Americans — more than say either that human evolution was steered by God or that humans evolved without any divine intervention.
As you might expect — particularly given the beginning of this article — Republicans are much more likely to say humanity was the result of divine creation than are Democrats. A majority of Republicans say divine creation created humans; just under half of Democrats say that there was no divine role.

This overlaps with other demographic characteristics that mirror partisanship. Younger Americans are less likely to adopt the strictly creationist view of human existence; older Americans are more likely to. People with master’s degrees or other advanced degrees are more likely to believe in evolution, as are people who most trust NPR and PBS as news sources. Those without college degrees and who watch Fox News are more likely to be creationists.

ADVERTISING

Those who indicate that they plan to support former president Donald Trump in the Republican primary in their state are more likely to be creationists, in keeping with his strong support from White evangelical Christians over time. There are too few supporters of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) to be statistically significant, but among those who responded, their views were more moderate than those of Trump supporters.

What’s particularly interesting about the Suffolk data is that a separate question about religious service attendance doesn’t quite line up as neatly. Here are the percentages of each of the above groups that say they go to services or events at other religious congregations at least once a week (shades of purple) and those who go less frequently or never (orange).

Notice that, with a few exceptions, like age, the divisions aren’t as dramatic. There’s a 30-point gap between Democrats and Republicans on the evolution-creation question and only a 20-point gap on weekly church attendance. There’s a 50-point gap on evolution between those who trust NPR and those who trust Fox News but only a 25-point gap on attendance.
Perhaps the most striking comparison is education. Creationism is embraced by twice as many people with no more than a high school degree than those with a master’s or other advanced degree — but they report going to church weekly at relatively equal rates. There isn’t even a big gulf in the percentage of each group that says they never attend a religious service.

Johnson, an attorney, appears to fit into that left-most point, a reminder that these patterns aren’t universal. But there is a correlation between educational attainment and politics, with more-educated Americans tending to vote more Democratic. It’s therefore difficult from this poll to disentangle the causality between education, belief in the principle of evolution and partisan identity.
But the overlap tracks with Johnson’s background: he’s a more-conservative legislator who backed (if only indirectly) the more-conservative position on human emergence. It’s a position that has more adherents across the country than the idea that human evolution occurred independent of any divine actor.

Please for the sanity of us all clean up your spam before you post it?

We're always hearing about people who lose their faith, change their religion, or return to the fold. Hard to know how many such changes involved discussion or whether politics played a role, but clearly people do change their minds on religion. Ditto for politics.

We're always hearing about people who lose their faith, change their religion, or return to the fold. Hard to know how many such changes involved discussion or whether politics played a role, but clearly people do change their minds on religion. Ditto for politics.

I'm guessing leas than 1% are changed by internet debates.

IMO..

I've got a good one for ya, about 50% of the world believes man can change the entire world climate even though everyone knows the climate has changed dozens of times in the world's history! I know, crazy right?:p

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
I find having discussions like this also helps to clarify my own feelings, and actually helps me in communicating them to other people. Because unless you go with the simplest, "The world is 6000 years old because ma pastor says so" this is not an easy topic to discuss. It's very complicated.
Sometimes, broads do be havin' cocks!

It's complicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustSayOV
I've got a good one for ya, about 50% of the world believes man can change the entire world climate even though everyone knows the climate has changed dozens of times in the world's history! I know, crazy right?:p
:rolleyes:

Well, they’d be one rather dumb plurality then.

There’s no such thing as strength in numbers when it comes to intelligence.

Is luck just random chance or is it divine intervention? The idea that the random occurrences that led to humans evolving may have either been because of subtle manipulations by some mysterious outside force who has been manipulating life on Earth for billions of years or the idea that it was just random mutations combined with adaptation to environments and behaviors that led to humans are equally mind blowing in my opinion. Ultimately, as long as you acknowledge that it took mutations to create new traits that were either selected for or against by environment or behaviors, does it really matter on the "why" of it? Or to put it another way, you can think it happened for a reason or you can think we are just really, really lucky, but as long as it doesn't override the reality of the world we live in then it shouldn't matter how a person thinks about the why of life.

I have always had similar thoughts....I am drastically over-simplifying this but from a scientific perspective I have always wondered that out of the billions of years from the assumed big bang to current day how are we as humans the only ones as advanced as we are on Earth? The only ones with conscious thought, etc etc (spare me the "dogs have emotion" and that stuff, I think you know what I mean by this)

I guess if every single living organism in the world today ranging from a single blade of grass to a human being is essentially evolved from the exact same very first few living atoms post big bang, how are we the only ones that have "excelled" to where we are at today when all living things essentially had the same equal chance from day 1?

I guess I don't think each side of the argument has to be mutually exclusive to the other....Science vs Christianity/Higher Power.

I have always had similar thoughts....I am drastically over-simplifying this but from a scientific perspective I have always wondered that out of the billions of years from the assumed big bang to current day how are we as humans the only ones as advanced as we are on Earth? The only ones with conscious thought, etc etc (spare me the "dogs have emotion" and that stuff, I think you know what I mean by this)

I guess if every single living organism in the world today ranging from a single blade of grass to a human being is essentially evolved from the exact same very first few living atoms post big bang, how are we the only ones that have "excelled" to where we are at today when all living things essentially had the same equal chance from day 1?

I guess I don't think each side of the argument has to be mutually exclusive to the other....Science vs Christianity/Higher Power.
Well, the answer to that is natural selection and evolution. However, it doesn't answer why that happened. And like the question of "Does heaven exist", there is only one way to find out the answer to that one and unfortunately nobody is coming back to report their findings once they get it. That's what faith is and it's my feeling that it is irrelevant to how you answer that question as long as you don't deny the science part of it.

Reactions: JustSayOV
Well, the answer to that is natural selection and evolution. However, it doesn't answer why that happened. And like the question of "Does heaven exist", there is only one way to find out the answer to that one and unfortunately nobody is coming back to report their findings once they get it. That's what faith is and it's my feeling that it is irrelevant to how you answer that question as long as you don't deny the science part of it.

And I get that somewhat too as far as the natural selection and evolution.....what I am more sayin is the whole frickin' Earth though....its big place. There is not room for maybe 2 species that are capable of a written language for example instead of just 1?

Just think its crazy that out of all those billions of years and literally everything having the same resources, the next closest thing to us is a chimp using a stick to get ants out of a hole to eat.

Not saying there isn't a concrete legit reason for it, just think its wild to comprehend.

And I get that somewhat too as far as the natural selection and evolution.....what I am more sayin is the whole frickin' Earth though....its big place. There is not room for maybe 2 species that are capable of a written language for example instead of just 1?

Just think its crazy that out of all those billions of years and literally everything having the same resources, the next closest thing to us is a chimp using a stick to get ants out of a hole to eat.

Not saying there isn't a concrete legit reason for it, just think its wild to comprehend.
I took an (and HROT'll never believe this because they can't wrap their heads around the subject) evolutionary biology class with a cutie of a nursing student (I'm assuming she was female, but how would anyone even know?!) who also happened to be a Creationist from Missouri.

She asked the professor where, if evolution were fact, were all of the Neanderthals.

Anyway, she's probably a gender doctor now.

There used to be more than one species that did that. Then we bred them out of existence. Neandrethals would have fit that bill. There were others too like the Devonians. Homo sapiens just don't share very well, although it is unlikely there was a concerted effort to eliminate them. The earth got warmer and Homo sapiens were better adapted for a warmer earth than Homo neanderthalensis so they out numbered the neandrethals and in many cases would incorporate them into their societies. Cross breading did occur which is why if you are of European or Asian decent roughly 1 to 2% of your DNA has Neanderthal origins.

Pacific islander, southeast Asian, and melanesian populations have Devonian DNA, although far less is known about them. The only reason we know about them is from DNA analysis.

There used to be more than one species that did that. Then we bred them out of existence. Neandrethals would have fit that bill. There were others too like the Devonians. Homo sapiens just don't share very well, although it is unlikely there was a concerted effort to eliminate them. The earth got warmer and Homo sapiens were better adapted for a warmer earth than Homo neanderthalensis so they out numbered the neandrethals and in many cases would incorporate them into their societies. Cross breading did occur which is why if you are of European or Asian decent roughly 1 to 2% of your DNA has Neanderthal origins.

Pacific islander, southeast Asian, and melanesian populations have Devonian DNA, although far less is known about them. The only reason we know about them is from DNA analysis.
Something not well know, homo neanderthalensis was misgendered out of existence.

They were just trying to exist and then POOF!

Idiocracy is a documentary

For the record future President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho is a FAR better president than past president Donnie Benedict Baby Hands Drumpf. President Camacho actually cared about his people and when he saw a major issue he quickly appointed the literal smartest man on the planet to solve it for the betterment of all mankind not just himself. The Traitorous Russian Slime who masqueraded as our president only appointed “the best people” which were sycophants and losers desperate enough to be in the spotlight that they would stoop to be tarred by his presence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT