ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Challenge: Florida State

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
At home, December 2nd. Florida State has a really good incoming class including Dwayne Bacon, who played with Fleming this last year.

They've been decent the past few years. Hopefully a boring trip to Iowa for them.

Good matchup vs a team that will probably make the Dance...barely. Should help our SOS.

Iowa will win going away, by 12-15. The only suspense leading up to this game is whether Dwayne Bacon's head will fit into the arena.

It's worth a look at last seasons Florida State games. They finished 8-10 in the ACC, and lost a tough game to Duke by only three points. But there ends the good news for an FSU fan. Their road record was 3-7. It appears to me that seven of their seventeen wins were by OT or four points or less. That's pulling out quite a few squeakers just to end up 17-16. Meanwhile, I count eight losses by nine or more points.

They finished the year ranked 97th on KenPom. For comparison, Michigan finished 75 and Penn State 82. As a TEAM they shot just .667 from the line! Knowing they have their top six scorers back is interesting, as they have four four star or better (Bacon) players coming in so catching them early could mean catching them trying to figure out an identity. I have to think that if Bacon starts they'll have problems, not enough basketballs to go around.

Oddly, though as a team they shot a decent .457 and scored a low but not horrible 67 ppg, they lost two games to Virginia where they managed a TOTAL of just 85 points! They also managed to lose to Nebraska, in a home game. If I could spot any trends it is that they win more than they lose in up-tempo games. But make them play in the half court, they struggle.

I like this draw as their name probably carries a little more weight than it should. I like getting them on our court.

Reactions: rillo 62 and nu2u
Amazing how the rich get richer. How in the hell does North Carolina get a home game 2 years in a row. Why wouldn't Miami, FSU or Clemson get home games 2 years in a row.

Iowa will win going away, by 12-15. The only suspense leading up to this game is whether Dwayne Bacon's head will fit into the arena.
Looking at FSU's roster and results, they remind me of Illinois in some ways: dangerous because of all the talent but often underachieving. From what I've heard of Bacon, he should fit right in. The surprising thing looking at that roster is the number of 7-footers they have. Including incoming frosh, I counted 3 guys listed at 7'1" or better. But all the 4-5* talent is in the guard court. It should be a tough but good match-up for our seniors.

That will suck when Maryland beats the poop heels at their place. When are their sanctions going to come down? Never?

Amazing how the rich get richer. How in the hell does North Carolina get a home game 2 years in a row. Why wouldn't Miami, FSU or Clemson get home games 2 years in a row.

They also played away in two consecutive years in 2012 and 2013. So now they are playing 2 consecutive home games. Makes sense to me

They also played away in two consecutive years in 2012 and 2013. So now they are playing 2 consecutive home games. Makes sense to me

Clemson had back to back home games in 2009 and 2010.
Miami (FL) had back to back home games in 2008 and 2009.

Kinda odd he'd wonder why they didn't get such treatment again.

It'll be an interesting game. I'll break down the players for you. One thing to note, the SF/SG are interchangeable in this "offense".

PG: Xavier Rathan-Mayes is probably playing out of position. He's better suited as a SG, but plays a lot of PG because of his ability to make plays and create shots. He can score points in a hurry (scored 30 points in 4 1/2 minutes vs Miami last year), but there have also been games that he's disappeared. I think he'll step up this year, as it was Aaron Thomas's (returning team leader in points that was dismissed in December) team to begin the year and it's tough for a freshman to step into a leadership role. He needs to be more aggressive, because he's head and shoulders the best offensive player FSU has.

Devon Bookert will be a backup to start the season, and will play SG at times as well. Bookert is probably more of a true PG, but he's limited athletically. Can spot up and knock down jumpers, but won't be a player who will burn by you or create his own shot.

SG: Devon Bookert will probably start off as the SG, but FSU would like to get Benji Gill (Juco SG) or Freshman Malik Beasley more involved as the season progresses. If I had to guess, Benji Gill will see some PT by the time the Iowa game rolls around. Hamilton is not afraid to play young players, but idk that he will trust a freshman in a road game that early in the season. Robbie Berwick can come in and provides a decent outside threat, but his game is limited to that.

SF: Montay Brandon has been a mainstay for 3 years now. Limited on offense, but is athletic. He is a slasher and a decent rebounder from the SF position. Good size (6'8") for a SF. Dwayne Bacon is a 5*, and wasn't brought in to redshirt or sit on the bench. Hamilton values defense (hasn't shown the last two years), so it playing time will be dictated by how quickly he catches on to that. Terrance Mann is also a true freshman with a big upside who could also slide into a SG role.

PF: Jarquez Smith is long and athletic, has good size. He played last year around 6'8", 220 lbs. Has some good range, but can also take some 3 pointers at ill advised times. Would like to see him play on the block more. Phil Cofer is very similar to Smith in that he's long and athletic. He's smaller (200 lbs), but may have a little higher upside. Started playing better down the stretch.

C: Boris Bojanovsky is long (7'3") but is a prototypical European big man. Isn't physical, has a good midrange game, but his length is an asset on defense. Michael Ojo is the exact opposite. He's big and physical (7'1", 300), but is very limited on the offensive side. Liability on the defensive end on pick and rolls.

Coaching: Hamilton stresses defense, but has been lacking with such a young team last year. Offensively, poor is all I can say. Stan Jones is a horrible offensive coach, no real rhyme or reason to his "philosophy."

Weaknesses: Offensive sets. Rathan-Mayes was most effective on isolation and the lone brightspot last year. FSU struggles against pressure in the backcourt. Rebounding is an issue, rely too much on athleticism and too little on position and boxing out.

Strengths: Athleticism. This will be one of the most athletic teams Iowa will play. If you knew nothing about the teams and just watched warmups, you wouldn't think Iowa stood a chance. Rathan-Mayes will be the best player on the court if he plays aggressively.

I'm torn on this one, because I'm not a huge fan of Gessell/Clemmons and normally good guards give FSU the most trouble. Iowa's big unknown will be the frontcourt. Nothing with known experience behind Woodbury. Luckily for Iowa, idk that FSU can take advantage of that. Iowa clearly has the coaching advantage and the homecourt might tip it in favor of the Hawks

Reactions: nu2u
It'll be an interesting game. I'll break down the players for you. One thing to note, the SF/SG are interchangeable in this "offense".

PG: Xavier Rathan-Mayes is probably playing out of position. He's better suited as a SG, but plays a lot of PG because of his ability to make plays and create shots. He can score points in a hurry (scored 30 points in 4 1/2 minutes vs Miami last year), but there have also been games that he's disappeared. I think he'll step up this year, as it was Aaron Thomas's (returning team leader in points that was dismissed in December) team to begin the year and it's tough for a freshman to step into a leadership role. He needs to be more aggressive, because he's head and shoulders the best offensive player FSU has.

Devon Bookert will be a backup to start the season, and will play SG at times as well. Bookert is probably more of a true PG, but he's limited athletically. Can spot up and knock down jumpers, but won't be a player who will burn by you or create his own shot.

SG: Devon Bookert will probably start off as the SG, but FSU would like to get Benji Gill (Juco SG) or Freshman Malik Beasley more involved as the season progresses. If I had to guess, Benji Gill will see some PT by the time the Iowa game rolls around. Hamilton is not afraid to play young players, but idk that he will trust a freshman in a road game that early in the season. Robbie Berwick can come in and provides a decent outside threat, but his game is limited to that.

SF: Montay Brandon has been a mainstay for 3 years now. Limited on offense, but is athletic. He is a slasher and a decent rebounder from the SF position. Good size (6'8") for a SF. Dwayne Bacon is a 5*, and wasn't brought in to redshirt or sit on the bench. Hamilton values defense (hasn't shown the last two years), so it playing time will be dictated by how quickly he catches on to that. Terrance Mann is also a true freshman with a big upside who could also slide into a SG role.

PF: Jarquez Smith is long and athletic, has good size. He played last year around 6'8", 220 lbs. Has some good range, but can also take some 3 pointers at ill advised times. Would like to see him play on the block more. Phil Cofer is very similar to Smith in that he's long and athletic. He's smaller (200 lbs), but may have a little higher upside. Started playing better down the stretch.

C: Boris Bojanovsky is long (7'3") but is a prototypical European big man. Isn't physical, has a good midrange game, but his length is an asset on defense. Michael Ojo is the exact opposite. He's big and physical (7'1", 300), but is very limited on the offensive side. Liability on the defensive end on pick and rolls.

Coaching: Hamilton stresses defense, but has been lacking with such a young team last year. Offensively, poor is all I can say. Stan Jones is a horrible offensive coach, no real rhyme or reason to his "philosophy."

Weaknesses: Offensive sets. Rathan-Mayes was most effective on isolation and the lone brightspot last year. FSU struggles against pressure in the backcourt. Rebounding is an issue, rely too much on athleticism and too little on position and boxing out.

Strengths: Athleticism. This will be one of the most athletic teams Iowa will play. If you knew nothing about the teams and just watched warmups, you wouldn't think Iowa stood a chance. Rathan-Mayes will be the best player on the court if he plays aggressively.

I'm torn on this one, because I'm not a huge fan of Gessell/Clemmons and normally good guards give FSU the most trouble. Iowa's big unknown will be the frontcourt. Nothing with known experience behind Woodbury. Luckily for Iowa, idk that FSU can take advantage of that. Iowa clearly has the coaching advantage and the homecourt might tip it in favor of the Hawks

Benji Bell is a possibility at PG as well for FSU. That was his primary position for Northwest Florida State JC this past season (the NJCAA DI champs). I only know this because he was considering Purdue at one point.

It seems like the ACC makes these games. These are some tough matchups for the B1G.

"....PG: Xavier Rathan-Mayes .....(scored 30 points in 4 1/2 minutes vs Miami last year)....."

Say what? haha ..wow...... that's more than 2X the scoring pace of Wilt Chamberlain when he scored 100 points in one game 50 years ago.

Strength: Recruiting Great incoming class

Weakness: Player development and bench coaching

FSU has consistently underachieved under their current coach

strength: Recruiting

weakness: Player development and bench coaching.

FSU has consistently underachieved under their current coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT