ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Long to Grand View

Heard that was a possibility. Was told he had been in the Iowa State room a few times working out.

I don't think KJ wanted him to leave in the 1st place. But we know that story.

I don't think KJ wanted him to leave in the 1st place. But we know that story.

There is that but then what happened at PSU I wouldn't think he'd be welcomed.

I'm OK with Long getting a 2nd chance. Just surprised ISU played this kind of role. And by 2nd chance I mean 3rd chance.

I think KJ has kept in contact with Andrew and as been mentioned he is getting his life together and KJ will help him out almost any way he can.

If Long ends up there, that truly means Meeks is likely staying in Ames. Meeks needs to move down a level or two. I'm guessing Daddy Meeks won't want any transfer where a guaranteed spot doesn't await.

Why would Meeks ever go anywhere?! Like it or not he probably got a full ride and gets to leave college with possibly no debt!

Andrew is Long-since out of Division I eligibility anyway. If I recall correctly, his five-year clock expired in the spring of 2013.

Correct, just working out, never joining iowa state. Heard talk of Grand View though, not sure if true

The clock in NAIA doesn't run out until you've competed 4 years. I could go back and compete for 3 more years if I could find a school that would let a 65 year old in their room.

Reactions: rival_me
Can someone please confirm that:
1) NAIA (e.g. Grand View) counts only the seasons of used eligibility and not the 5-year clock rule?
2) Long therefore has 2 more seasons of NAIA wrestling eligibility?
3) Despite being NAIA, Grand View is a full university that offers not only BA degrees but masters degrees? (So Long could finish his BA there without having to transfer yet again.)

Clearly he wants to finish his college athletic (and academic) career on a positive note. I think that's a good plan. Anyone know if he plans to wrestle freestyle? Coach? Maybe those decisions are down the road. This is a good, positive first step. Kudos to whoever's advising him.

If Andrew decides to wrestle again... I'll be the 1st person through the gate to watch him show his talents again.

Reactions: WEH8ST8HAWK
Why would Meeks ever go anywhere?! Like it or not he probably got a full ride and gets to leave college with possibly no debt!
It was a sarcastic remark given in regards to his ability to be competitive at the Division 1 level. I think it's absolutely fantastic that a college student can potentially leave school with little, if any, student debt. More power to him.

But can anyone argue that he has not showed the ability to be relevant after three years at ISU? Before the apologists bring up the idea of injuries... all wrestlers, at one time or the other, deal with them. He lost his spot to a true freshman last season. When he lost Mr. Garrison as a personal coach, he lost the BIG advantage he had as a high schooler. Now he is wrestling against guys with equal talent.

Can someone please confirm that:
1) NAIA (e.g. Grand View) counts only the seasons of used eligibility and not the 5-year clock rule?
2) Long therefore has 2 more seasons of NAIA wrestling eligibility?
3) Despite being NAIA, Grand View is a full university that offers not only BA degrees but masters degrees? (So Long could finish his BA there without having to transfer yet again.)

Clearly he wants to finish his college athletic (and academic) career on a positive note. I think that's a good plan. Anyone know if he plans to wrestle freestyle? Coach? Maybe those decisions are down the road. This is a good, positive first step. Kudos to whoever's advising him.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
He has big plans and immense talent. He wants to go to the Olympics. Nick is a great coach with a great staff. We shall see if he can get it done.

Reactions: FanOHawk
Good luck at Grandview but I hope he never sniffs a spot on a US national team. I will spend my time rooting for Ramos and McDonough.

Great...there goes the neighborhood

I've been awarded four trophies since coming on HR with the new format. The neighborhood here at HR... is a giving one. ;) Iowa's board giving trophies to a Penn State fan. Who would have thought? :rolleyes:

Reactions: whejoe
A reasonable approach would be for him to continue his successful rehab and to finish school and/or enter the workforce in some capacity. Due to his criminal record, his work prospects may be limited initially regardless if he gets his degree. He will need several good things to happen for this story to truly have a happy ending. I suppose 3rd/4th chances are fine when it comes to wrestling again and the NAIA is full of unconventional athletic stories....but the whole wrestling comeback thing appears a bit misguided. Easy for me to say.....am guessing he may have a tough time walking away from something he has trained his whole life for.

Why is it unreasonable for him to try and continue to wrestle? Going to college and wrestling does not preclude you from entering the workforce later does it? In fact, I believe you are even allowed to do all three at once if you can manage it. If wrestling gives him an outlet to keep focused and on a straight line then he should be wrestling every freaking day he can to stay on track.

Reactions: hawkeyejr
I wish the young man the best. . . and I'll probably head across town to Grand View a few times to watch him wrestle if he does, indeed, end up there.

ADVERTISEMENT