ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone been to the B1G Tourney in Minneapolis?

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Brother and I were tossing around the idea of maybe heading up for the weekend games (if Iowa gets through the first two rounds of course). I see tickets are a steal at $10/game or $30/tournament so that's not a problem. What is the normal attendance like? I assume everything is general admission and if Minny doesn't make it, then it might be really empty. Anything else we should know about? Do they sell beer since it's a pro stadium?

When the tournament was up there two years ago, the attendance was really bad. The total attendance for the five-day tourney in 2013 was just 6,000 (the stadium holds nearly 40,000).

The low attendance won't bother me at all. Just means good seats and good parking :)

Anything else good to know?

I plan on attending the opening game and hopefully the championship Sunday. Like Alum-Ni mentioned, don't expect a big crowd. Target Field is a tremendous stadium but it's way too big for a college tournament. CHS Field, the new home of the St. Paul Saints, would be a much better fit than Target.

Anyway, if you need any drinking/parking/eating tips around Target Field I may be able to provide.

Reactions: icu81222
Sure, have at it. I remember there was a pretty nice little brewery like 3/4 mile from it when I went up there a few years ago.

Would the Kernel's stadium be a good venue for the B1G tourney? I think a minor league park would be more attractive\college-esque.

How about Modern Woodmen Park in QC. Seats just over 4k. Voted best minor league park in the US in 2013.

Reactions: Couppee
Back to Omaha next year which is a great ballpark. The rumor is that the B1G tournament will be out east somewhere in 2017. Maybe even Yankee Stadium. That would be HUGE!

Sure, have at it. I remember there was a pretty nice little brewery like 3/4 mile from it when I went up there a few years ago.

Yeah, that would be Fulton Brewery which is very close to Target Field. Cowboy Jack's has a great rooftop if it's a nice day and Kieran's Pub has great outdoor seating. The Loop is about six blocks from the stadium on north Washington and it's an Iowa bar so there could be a great crowd there.

Would the Kernel's stadium be a good venue for the B1G tourney? I think a minor league park would be more attractive\college-esque.

Last year the conference tournament was at TD Ameritrade and the championship game between Indiana and Nebraska drew 20,000+. Memorial Stadium and Modern Woodman are probably on the smallish side even when compared to Target Field. TD Ameritrade is probably the best place for the tournament for attendance purposes.

Back to Omaha next year which is a great ballpark. The rumor is that the B1G tournament will be out east somewhere in 2017. Maybe even Yankee Stadium. That would be HUGE!

I've also heard the B1G is trying to possibly acquire Yankee Stadium for a future tourney. Would be a neat setting, but like Target Field I wouldn't imagine that the fan turnout would be very good.

I've also heard the B1G is trying to possibly acquire Yankee Stadium for a future tourney. Would be a neat setting, but like Target Field I wouldn't imagine that the fan turnout would be very good.

Agreed. The idea of Yankee Stadium is cool but I much prefer a smaller venue for the crowd for the homey full.

Playing in a big league ballpark is awesome, but I'm not sure the Big Ten--surprise--does much to promote the event in Minny's Target Field. Among the things they could do to get people into the seats:

* Give free tickets to the entire tournament to every Minnesota Twins season ticket holder. Those people could either use the tickets or give them away.

* Give tickets to every elementary, middle school, and high school student in the Twin Cities. Kids would be admitted free with any paid adult admission. So a family of four could see a baseball game in the MLB park for $20. So could a family of six or 12.

* Or let Little Leaguers in uniform in free with their entire families. Make money off concessions.

If I were the BIG, I'd want to get as many people into the place as possible, and I'd be as creative as necessary to do it. But that's not the BIG's strength.

So for cache, an MLB park is great--especially the iconic Yankee Stadium, of course. And since the BIG already is tied into the Pinstripe Bowl football game at the stadium, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to picture the BIG baseball tournament there. But again, they should promote the hell out of it and get at least 10,000 people in there for every session.

I'd love for the B1G tournament to permanently be placed in Omaha. It just makes sense.

Problem is Big East tourney wants it there also with Creighton and they compete for weekends.

Personally I would love this! Also watching the Hawks there in mid-June would be amazing!

Reactions: Cougar63
ADVERTISEMENT