ADVERTISEMENT

Appeals left

CASS has only had trouble with bigger stronger wrestlers. He beat KerKin easy then KerKin gained 30-40 or more pounds. Not understanding and NEVER understood WHY our guys can not bulk up especially at Heavy.

If CASS is indeed down at 213 and gets to wrestle for IOWA again, his best hope is 3rd without Steveson.

Although there are legit reasons to temper expectations, it IS also absolutley reasonable to believe someone that won a pretty solid weight class as a freshman is capable of winning it all again...
There is no doubt he's "capable" of winning it all again. My point is that it's probably pragmatic to temper expectations right out of the gate. I would be shocked if he beats Brooks at all this season, especially in the dual match which will be more or less a month after he's back in competition after a two year layoff. We'll have to see how close he can get to peak competition shape by the time the B1Gs and NCAAs roll around, but it's much more likely that he will be a title contender in future years (and not just because Brooks will be gone).

There is no doubt he's "capable" of winning it all again. My point is that it's probably pragmatic to temper expectations right out of the gate. I would be shocked if he beats Brooks at all this season, especially in the dual match which will be more or less a month after he's back in competition after a two year layoff. We'll have to see how close he can get to peak competition shape by the time the B1Gs and NCAAs roll around, but it's much more likely that he will be a title contender in future years (and not just because Brooks will be gone).

It is much easier to request pragmatism from an opposing team’s fanbase, when you are in no way invested in their success. Hell, it is even easier than that, when you are a fan of a rival team overflowing with success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Libertylover
CASS has only had trouble with bigger stronger wrestlers. He beat KerKin easy then KerKin gained 30-40 or more pounds. Not understanding and NEVER understood WHY our guys can not bulk up especially at Heavy.

If CASS is indeed down at 213 and gets to wrestle for IOWA again, his best hope is 3rd without Steveson.
No opinion on pre Cass heavies but Cass is fairly short for a Heavy compared to Kerk Paris Hendrickson and even Steveson.

According to the PSU radio announcer, Kerkvliet weighed in at 254.4 lbs, his heaviest weight at PSU, for the Dec 3rd match with Lehigh. I doubt that Greg put on 30-40lbs between the 21-22 & 22-23 season.

It is much easier to request pragmatism from an opposing team’s fanbase, when you are in no way invested in their success. Hell, it is even easier than that, when you are a fan of a rival team overflowing with success.
Penn State fans fans struggled with the same thing with Robbie Howard (although obviously at a different level since he didn't win a championship right out of the gate), but we've seen in him that 2 years off isn't easy to jump right back in at the same level you were.

Penn State fans fans struggled with the same thing with Robbie Howard (although obviously at a different level since he didn't win a championship right out of the gate), but we've seen in him that 2 years off isn't easy to jump right back in at the same level you were.
Not even a remotely reasonable analogy. I am not sure Robbie was EVERY fully DI ready to be more than a fringe AA at best. I would equate him to Teske. It would be fair to keep "hoping" for AA production from either based on how well they did in High School, but "expecting" it, when we NEVER saw it at the DI level, is completely different, altogether...

Reactions: GoHawks1996
Not even a remotely reasonable analogy. I am not sure Robbie was EVERY fully DI ready to be more than a fringe AA at best. I would equate him to Teske. It would be fair to keep "hoping" for AA production from either based on how well they did in High School, but "expecting" it, when we NEVER saw it at the DI level, is completely different, altogether...
I said it’s a different level, but the analogy holds. He came in as a true freshman with one semester of experience and got to the R16. I don’t think expecting him to develop into a consistent AA based on that plus his HS record is unreasonable, but after two years away, his level isn’t even close as he’s not in competition shape.

Again, it’s a different level, so I’m not saying AJ isn’t going to be able to even make that lineup like Robbie, but he’s not likely to be able to step back in as a national champ, either.

I said it’s a different level, but the analogy holds. He came in as a true freshman with one semester of experience and got to the R16. I don’t think expecting him to develop into a consistent AA based on that plus his HS record is unreasonable, but after two years away, his level isn’t even close as he’s not in competition shape.

Again, it’s a different level, so I’m not saying AJ isn’t going to be able to even make that lineup like Robbie, but he’s not likely to be able to step back in as a national champ, either.
One guy is 29-1 and convincingly won a NCAA Championship where 4 of his 5 wins were over NCAA Finalists(Sloan, Warner, Amine and Bonaccorsi). The other is 10-10 and 1 of his 2 wins at NCAA's was over Fabian Gutierrez and the other was Heinselman(to whom he has also lost to multiple times) who is now a combined 3-6 at NCAA's........

Expecting a guy as proven and good as AJ to still be close enough to the top is not even REMOTELY comparable to expecting a guy with a 10-10 record to be an AA after time off...

One guy is 29-1 and convincingly won a NCAA Championship where 4 of his 5 wins were over NCAA Finalists(Sloan, Warner, Amine and Bonaccorsi). The other is 10-10 and 1 of his 2 wins at NCAA's was over Fabian Gutierrez and the other was Heinselman(to whom he has also lost to multiple times) who is now a combined 3-6 at NCAA's........

Expecting a guy as proven and good as AJ to still be close enough to the top is not even REMOTELY comparable to expecting a guy with a 10-10 record to be an AA after time off...
That's not even bringing up the fact that AJ has been training hard this entire time whereas Robbie has been plagued with injuries which would obviously stunt his progression.

Yep, not even a close comparison. Howard has had horrible shoulder problems.

Reactions: hlstone
According to the PSU radio announcer, Kerkvliet weighed in at 254.4 lbs, his heaviest weight at PSU, for the Dec 3rd match with Lehigh. I doubt that Greg put on 30-40lbs between the 21-22 & 22-23 season.
In one year he turned all his soft weight into ripped muscle with significant strength and quickness gains, regardless of the actual weight gain.

Concur. I think he’s going to make the finals and give Kerk all he wants plus some. He’s equally athletic if not a bit better but will be giving up some size as it appears on my computer screen and looked on ESPN.
The Cuban has looked good but he’s still suspect from bottom. I think he reaches the podium but I’d wager it’s on the bottom 1/2.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
Concur. I think he’s going to make the finals and give Kerk all he wants plus some. He’s equally athletic if not a bit better but will be giving up some size as it appears on my computer screen and looked on ESPN.
Agree he is looking downright exceptional from neutral, but I think it will come down to the status of his mat game. It has been a relative weak point for him but he definitely seems to be improving in that regard for someone with no folk background before college. He will need all three phases to challenge for a title vs Kerk, Hendrickson, and probably Schultz too.

Wouldn't mind seeing it either. More and more, I am growing to appreciate that monster head gear spike.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
The 3 point TD really helps him out. Go ahead and ride him for 2 mins, get the RT point and an escape when his opponent chooses down but they are likely going to have to play catch up because he is good on his feet and creates a lot of action. If he gets two TDs, mat wrestling won’t be a factor unless a couple of stall calls.

IMO, it’s going to come down to his tank in the third against the better guys.

Although there are legit reasons to temper expectations, it IS also absolutley reasonable to believe someone that won a pretty solid weight class as a freshman is capable of winning it all again...
How can it be reasonable to believe he can win it all if there are legit reasons to temper expectations?

...and YOU spelled absolutely wrong...

How can it be reasonable to believe he can win it all if there are legit reasons to temper expectations?
I guess in the same way a naughty child reasonably believes Santa will not leave their spot under the tree barren on Christmas morning.

For morale's sake it seems very reasonable just to keep such faith rather than consider the alternative and wring one's hands in the meantime.

Reactions: TNTwrestle

This reads like PSU hopium to me. If he does indeed come back, he will be Brooks’ biggest competition come March.

• Love
Reactions: Vic Vaselino

...and YOU spelled absolutely wrong...

Lol, digging a little too deep and desperate to find something against me when using an obvious typo as a spelling mistake, aren’t we?

And to answer your question, it is reasonable to temper expectations (the word temper literally has a considerable range doesn’t it?) while still thinking an NCAA Champ has a chance to win again. As an example, instead of thinking he wins every match all the way through NCAA’s in dominant fashion, you see him take a loss or 2 during the season and winning a couple of very close matches at NCAA’s.

Man, since you have started posting on here again lately, your posting IQ has really dropped. Not that it was ever that high to begin with, but did you have a stroke recently or something similarly debilitating?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT