ADVERTISEMENT

"Are we Iowa Fans for Pete's Sake?" You could only hope (another N thread)

Does anybody even understand the point he's trying to make concerning Iowa fans? That one is eluding me. Is the suggestion that we don't have high expectations for the program? If so ... why put the line right after commenting about Riley and Pedersen?

By and large, I'd say that the Huskers have a fine fan base. A number of years back, my best friend (a fellow Hawkeye fan) took in the Iowa vs Nebraska game at Memorial stadium ... and he was truly impressed with the experience. The opposing fans were, by and large, tremendously respectful and polite ... great welcoming hosts. All the while, just a few years back - his wife was nearly sexually assaulted by a drunkard at Kinnick.

However, it is true that a large portion of Husker faithful do tend to have rather unreasonable expectations for the program. They don't seem to admit and/or recognize the state of college football when the program was built under Devaney and Osborn. There is that tendency to "live in the past" ... because those memories are so fond (to them).

Put the blame where it belongs, which is on the administration and the 20-year power struggle between athletics and the academic administration.

What's the power struggle? Asking Nebraska football players to attend college classes? Now come on, what is the University of Nebraska, the University of Iowa? Obviously, no is the answer and we thank the almighty God for that.

Put the blame where it belongs, which is on the administration and the 20-year power struggle between athletics and the academic administration.

What's the power struggle? Asking Nebraska football players to attend college classes? Now come on, what is the University of Nebraska, the University of Iowa? Obviously, no is the answer and we thank the almighty God for that.

I thought the same thing when reading it. Its not like Nebraska is freaking Northwestern for gods sake. Is it that much of a power struggle to expect them to at least attend and pass class, and heaven forbid, punish them if they dont meet those standards?

Does anybody even understand the point he's trying to make concerning Iowa fans? That one is eluding me. Is the suggestion that we don't have high expectations for the program? If so ... why put the line right after commenting about Riley and Pedersen?

By and large, I'd say that the Huskers have a fine fan base. A number of years back, my best friend (a fellow Hawkeye fan) took in the Iowa vs Nebraska game at Memorial stadium ... and he was truly impressed with the experience. The opposing fans were, by and large, tremendously respectful and polite ... great welcoming hosts. All the while, just a few years back - his wife was nearly sexually assaulted by a drunkard at Kinnick.

However, it is true that a large portion of Husker faithful do tend to have rather unreasonable expectations for the program. They don't seem to admit and/or recognize the state of college football when the program was built under Devaney and Osborn. There is that tendency to "live in the past" ... because those memories are so fond (to them).

Yes, I think he is saying Iowa fans expect and accept lesser results as I don't see how that correlates to Riley and Pedersen either. I don't know many Husker fans but the few I do know don't have what I call a football sense of humor. Try to tease them or discuss football and they get defensive very quickly and go right to a "how many championships has your team one" mentality. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. I agree that is based on the fact they are spoiled from the past. I don't blame them for that, just the way they handle it sometimes.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and predict Scooter is out of Nebby in 4-5 years. This year he will fight to make a bowl next year will be the high point of 8ish wins. 2020 and 2021 are brutal and eventually he willget tired of the spoiled fanbase, they will 7 or 8 games and his wife will remember what 70 degrees in January is like. The fanbase is already up in arms about a statement he made this week and let's not forget his comments in the first interview about leaving his family alone. They just dont know how to stay out of thier own way.

Reactions: OnlyKnown4Waving
I'm going to go way out on a limb and predict Scooter is out of Nebby in 4-5 years. This year he will fight to make a bowl next year will be the high point of 8ish wins. 2020 and 2021 are brutal and eventually he willget tired of the spoiled fanbase, they will 7 or 8 games and his wife will remember what 70 degrees in January is like. The fanbase is already up in arms about a statement he made this week and let's not forget his comments in the first interview about leaving his family alone. They just dont know how to stay out of thier own way.

He probably won't leave. I'm willing to bet there will be a closet in his office, though.

I thought the same thing when reading it. Its not like Nebraska is freaking Northwestern for gods sake. Is it that much of a power struggle to expect them to at least attend and pass class, and heaven forbid, punish them if they dont meet those standards?
Why do u think Nebraska has more academic All-Americans than any other school in the country. I would like to know how many they have since 97.

Why do u think Nebraska has more academic All-Americans than any other school in the country. I would like to know how many they have since 97.
Because, Neb academics isn't Big Ten worthy. Would have rather had Mizzou in the conf. There's been kids (athletes) turned down by other Big Ten schools that can get in to Neb. Fact. Gerry wasn't really a rocket scientist....how did he slip thru the cracks? Basket weaving and PE.

Yes, I went to JUCO...lol.

Because, Neb academics isn't Big Ten worthy. Would have rather had Mizzou in the conf. There's been kids (athletes) turned down by other Big Ten schools that can get in to Neb. Fact. Gerry wasn't really a rocket scientist....how did he slip thru the cracks? Basket weaving and PE.

Yes, I went to JUCO...lol.

Wasn't Gerry heavily recruit by Iowa.

Just the facts.o_O

My first thought would be the excellent high standards at Nebraska. Must have been rough taking intro to library and "rocks for jocks " type courses to achieve such high GPAs. I don't know how all of those dedicated student athletes managed while playing football for the Huskers.

l1eRlD
"Nebraska nuggets"

https://goo.gl/images/l1eRlD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT