ADVERTISEMENT

Are you for an increase in nuclear fission reactors for more carbon reducing electricity generation?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I am for the US and other countries building, testing, and developing new, safer reactor designs. The biggest danger with older, current reactors is they are all High Pressure, High Temperature water/steam reactors. The safer designs being tested right now are called 4th and 5th Generation reactors. They can run on High Temp Helium cooled systems that are not at nearly as high pressures as Water reactors.

There are Small Modular Designs that can be built quicker and run on molten salt as the heat transfer and coolant and molten salt is high temperature but equal to regular atmospheric temperature thus being safer.

Anyway, please explain your voting reasons. Thanks.

Yep. Be awesome if could find a way to send nuclear waste into space and on its way someday as well.

I posted about the modular scale nuclear a couple years ago

We should also be building the molten salt reactors that produce no fissile material for bombs. Sensor technology for safe monitoring these types of facilities is light-years ahead of what it was in the 1970s.

A thousand times yes. Nuclear energy is the clear and obvious bridge to greener forms of energy. Unfortunately through short sighted fear-mongering, politics about where to store the waste, overzealous environmentalists and an outdated view of reactor cost we have missed a major opportunity. The far left wants to go green straight away (which is impractical) and the far right is beholden to the coal/oil/gas lobby.

Yes. They should get all the eggheads together and agree on a blueprint. This should reduce costs since everything will be covered the first time.

Don’t need to reinvent the wheel with each plant.

Yes. They should get all the eggheads together and agree on a blueprint. This should reduce costs since everything will be covered the first time.

Yes, one design and just crank them out.

Think it would be great, but the expense is holding companies back from investing. New nuclear units are 5x the cost of solar + storage. Once they get it simplified enough to get costs down to be competitive, they will surely take off.

Well, now, THAT's boring.

Every place with a nuke plant needs the exact same plant!!???

Next thing you know, they'll be making us all drive the exact same cars!!!😡

Yes, but they need to figure out a way to cost effectively build these. The new reactors in Georgia took seven years longer than expected and ran over projected cost by 7 billion.

I am for the US and other countries building, testing, and developing new, safer reactor designs. The biggest danger with older, current reactors is they are all High Pressure, High Temperature water/steam reactors. The safer designs being tested right now are called 4th and 5th Generation reactors. They can run on High Temp Helium cooled systems that are not at nearly as high pressures as Water reactors.

There are Small Modular Designs that can be built quicker and run on molten salt as the heat transfer and coolant and molten salt is high temperature but equal to regular atmospheric temperature thus being safer.

Anyway, please explain your voting reasons. Thanks.
Doesn't matter what you want, Kemo Sabe, it already happening. I've been buying uranium for two years this April > https://oilprice.com/Alternative-En...ces-Soar-As-World-Turns-to-Nuclear-Power.html

Doesn't matter what you want, Kemo Sabe, it already happening. I've been buying uranium for two years this April > https://oilprice.com/Alternative-En...ces-Soar-As-World-Turns-to-Nuclear-Power.html
Oh I know it has been happening. I have been reading about the new generation reactor designs for 5+ years. I just thought I would ask the forum the question. Most people do not realise that the US Govt had sustained molten salt reactors working for thousands of hours back in the 50's and 60's. Designs with frozen plugs etc that automatically shutdown when electricity is cutoff to the unit.

Oh I know it has been happening. I have been reading about the new generation reactor designs for 5+ years. I just thought I would ask the forum the question. Most people do not realise that the US Govt had sustained molten salt reactors working for thousands of hours back in the 50's and 60's. Designs with frozen plugs etc that automatically shutdown when electricity is cutoff to the unit.
Most people don't know anything about anything! lol The move to small scale plants is what is really going to bust this out.

Nuclear power was successful in the past and will be in the future. 3 Mile Island spooked everyone and the oil companies pushed that fear hard. The number of deaths and injuries from nuclear power generation is miniscule compared to traditional methods People are just now starting to realize that those fears have been unwarranted so the nuclear option is being more widely considered.

Nuclear power was successful in the past and will be in the future. 3 Mile Island spooked everyone and the oil companies pushed that fear hard. The number of deaths and injuries from nuclear power generation is miniscule compared to traditional methods People are just now starting to realize that those fears have been unwarranted so the nuclear option is being more widely considered.
I think you mean Fukushima. The apex on this U price chart is when that occurred > https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/uranium

Most people don't know anything about anything! lol The move to small scale plants is what is really going to bust this out.
Yes, Terrapower is building a small reactor, which may later have more modules, out in Kemmerer WY near the old coal fired electric plant, just to add a little irony. They hope to have it running in a few years.

The small plants will enable a small city, county or rural electric company the chance to scale to what they need.

Yes, but they need to figure out a way to cost effectively build these. The new reactors in Georgia took seven years longer than expected and ran over projected cost by 7 billion.
I will look it up again but I think those Votgle Georgia plants are large reactors maybe still using boiling water but with more safety features.

The problem with high pressure boiling water is you need to build the very thick walled containment building for the core and reactor and all the welds etc have to hold up to pressure.

The molten salt reactors still need study as to the corrosive effects of the salts on metal piping etc

Way more people have died from coal burning plants that nuclear, by far and away

Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT