ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona signs Damond Powell

Feb 5, 2015
I guess Arizona doesn't know Powell can't block, is a one-trick pony with bad hands who wasn't good enough to get on the field much for a weak Iowa team.

OR was it that KF and GD were wrong again and wasted another player's talent?

I believe what Kirt said about him was that he couldn't learn the (complex) hawkeye playbook, which consists of about 8 plays. Perhaps the Cardinals are better evaluators of talent than the Iowa staff.

I guess Arizona doesn't know Powell can't block, is a one-trick pony with bad hands who wasn't good enough to get on the field much for a weak Iowa team.

Reactions: HRiscool
It took him 3 years to learn the playbook at Iowa but didn't master it. Arizona must not have gotten the message. How far are we going to let this coaching staff sink the program? We won't have an easy schedule to hide behind after this year and they will be further exposed.

Let's wait and see how long Powell stays on roster. His speed will get him chance but will his hands let him stay on

Reactions: Herkmeister
I believe what Kirt said about him was that he couldn't learn the (complex) hawkeye playbook, which consists of about 8 plays. Perhaps the Cardinals are better evaluators of talent than the Iowa staff.

He was signed on as a free agent. Little risk to the Cardinals. Hopefully he finds a spot on the roster but statistics show its highly unlikely. He had speed which is why they are taking a chance.

The pissing and moaning about our coaching staff is getting old. The bitching has no boundaries. Hell some were bitching that we arent getting a food truck for the players. Are you freaking kidding me. I dont agree with everything that's happened with the program but I am smart enough to know that bitching about everything doesn't change or help anything. If anything recruits will rrad this and stay away from a fan base full of adult babies that will turn on the minute they dont like something. I am pretty sure that has more of an effect than uniforms or whatever else you tools complain about.

He was signed on as a free agent. Little risk to the Cardinals. Hopefully he finds a spot on the roster but statistics show its highly unlikely. He had speed which is why they are taking a chance.

The pissing and moaning about our coaching staff is getting old. The bitching has no boundaries. Hell some were bitching that we arent getting a food truck for the players. Are you freaking kidding me. I dont agree with everything that's happened with the program but I am smart enough to know that bitching about everything doesn't change or help anything. If anything recruits will rrad this and stay away from a fan base full of adult babies that will turn on the minute they dont like something. I am pretty sure that has more of an effect than uniforms or whatever else you tools complain about.
This needed to be said and everyone needs to read it

And signing a FA contract before any type of practice changes what?

1) Despite how poorly worded these sentences are, I believe I know what you are trying to say.
2) You are incorrect

I would love for you to link something that shows that fans upset on a rivals message board cause recruits to stay away from Iowa. Much easier to blame our poor recruiting on that as opposed to on-field results and the state of the program huh?

Reactions: Sterling_Wildcat
Let's just treat the Powell and Lowdermilk signings the same (for now). Other than QB, those were probably the two most controversial playing time decisions last year.

The Powell signing may show that he should have played more, and the Lowdermilk signing may show that the coaching staff was right in playing him as a starter these last 2 years. So each camp (pro- and anti-Ferentz) gets one guy to talk about. But in my opinion, neither signing, by itself, proves all that much. If one of them makes it onto a 53 man roster, or even a practice squad, then one side will have something to talk about.

Except that if Powell was as deficient as the Iowa coaching staff claimed, why bother signing Powell at all? Speed? I don't think speed at the NFL level is so difficult to find that they'd bother with a kid who only brought that to the table. And whether he makes a roster or not, it's interesting that an NFL team would see more upside in a kid than his college coaching staff who DID need WR speed in the worst way.

Except that if Powell was as deficient as the Iowa coaching staff claimed, why bother signing Powell at all? Speed? I don't think speed at the NFL level is so difficult to find that they'd bother with a kid who only brought that to the table. And whether he makes a roster or not, it's interesting that an NFL team would see more upside in a kid than his college coaching staff who DID need WR speed in the worst way.
How so? If he doesn't make the roster with Arizona, he did less than he did at Iowa.

1) Despite how poorly worded these sentences are, I believe I know what you are trying to say.
2) You are incorrect

I would love for you to link something that shows that fans upset on a rivals message board cause recruits to stay away from Iowa. Much easier to blame our poor recruiting on that as opposed to on-field results and the state of the program huh?

While I think it's healthy for fans, UI coaching staff, and UI leaders to discuss the team's performance (both positive and negative), I, too, believe that the negativism expressed by many on this board has gone beyond educated opinion. If the authors' purpose is to get the UI to make a change in leadership, then I believe they need to direct their concerns (as many have) to UI leaders and coaches.

I am an optimist, and I believe that UI coaching staff have listened to the fan base and are working hard to improve the performance of the program. The players are certainly working very hard. I hope that that 2015 Hawks will have a successful year, but realize that, if they don't, changes should appropriately be considered. It is clear that UI coaching staff have undergone a major re-focus on recruitment, as evidenced by: 1) reorganization of coaching staff assignments to recruiting and the addition of Seth Wallace as recruitment coordinator; 2) the increased number of offers to the 2016 class, including a geographically broader distribution to states traditionally rich in football talent; 3) the increased number of offers to classes beyond the 2016 class.

Posters that continually write negative, often un-informed, and occasionally purely inflammatory comments may consider seeking more positive ways to effect change.

While I think it's healthy for fans, UI coaching staff, and UI leaders to discuss the team's performance (both positive and negative), I, too, believe that the negativism expressed by many on this board has gone beyond educated opinion. If the authors' purpose is to get the UI to make a change in leadership, then I believe they need to direct their concerns (as many have) to UI leaders and coaches.

I am an optimist, and I believe that UI coaching staff have listened to the fan base and are working hard to improve the performance of the program. The players are certainly working very hard. I hope that that 2015 Hawks will have a successful year, but realize that, if they don't, changes should appropriately be considered. It is clear that UI coaching staff have undergone a major re-focus on recruitment, as evidenced by: 1) reorganization of coaching staff assignments to recruiting and the addition of Seth Wallace as recruitment coordinator; 2) the increased number of offers to the 2016 class, including a geographically broader distribution to states traditionally rich in football talent; 3) the increased number of offers to classes beyond the 2016 class.

Posters that continually write negative, often un-informed, and occasionally purely inflammatory comments may consider seeking more positive ways to effect change.

From the amount of space I had around me last year in Kinnick, I would say they are finding other ways. Would it be a positive way to do it? Guess that would be subjective.

Although I don't agree with a majority of your post (how fans can be ok, let alone excited, with our coach basically rededicating himself to the program/recruiting in year 16 of his tenure is beyond me, I personally don't think it should have ever slipped), I at least respect your opinion. But I must point out that it really doesn't have anything to do with my assertion that recruits are not flocking to IC because fans are upset on a Rivals message board.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
Can't wait for the "Arizona cuts Damond Powell" thread. I'm sure you will be quite as proud of that thread as this one.

Reactions: ichawk24

I have no doubt the coaches and players are working hard. The problem is the head coach isn't capable of leading a winning program. He lucked out with Norm and even than did his best to blow games with his clock management and frightening game coaching.

Let's just treat the Powell and Lowdermilk signings the same (for now). Other than QB, those were probably the two most controversial playing time decisions last year.

The Powell signing may show that he should have played more, and the Lowdermilk signing may show that the coaching staff was right in playing him as a starter these last 2 years. So each camp (pro- and anti-Ferentz) gets one guy to talk about. But in my opinion, neither signing, by itself, proves all that much. If one of them makes it onto a 53 man roster, or even a practice squad, then one side will have something to talk about.
All it proves is someone is willing to give them a shot to prove they are capable. At the end of the day, the LARGE majority of these undrafted free agents will be working stiffs like the rest of us, just with better "glory day" stories...................

2) You are incorrect

I wrote this from a mobile phone. Its not exactly easy to proof read. If you got my point why make mention of my sentence structure at all. Clearly I touched a nerve.

Reactions: doughudd
2) You are incorrect

I didn't say we had poor recruiting nor did I say negative posters were responsible for it.

It doesn't take rocket scientist to figure out that most people like to avoid negativity. I would like you to link something that shows good recruiting as a result of a negative fanbase. This goes well beyond posting on the internet.

I didn't say we had poor recruiting nor did I say negative posters were responsible for it.

It doesn't take rocket scientist to figure out that most people like to avoid negativity. I would like you to link something that shows good recruiting as a result of a negative fanbase. This goes well beyond posting on the internet.
Is this post for real or in jest?

I have no doubt the coaches and players are working hard. The problem is the head coach isn't capable of leading a winning program. He lucked out with Norm and even than did his best to blow games with his clock management and frightening game coaching.

Lucked out because Norm just came walking in and said "I'm coaching here, and you're gonna like it"?

He signed a free agent contract. Who cares? Tons of seniors do and it's not like he is going to last. Speed doesn't mean anything if you can't run good routes and don't have good hands. Some people on here have no brains

How do you know they see more upside than Iowa did? If Iowa didn't see any upside with him then why did they recruit him? Why did someone sign Greg Castillo? Was it because they saw more upside than Iowa did? or how about Tanner Miller or John Lowdermilk?

1. If a team would've spent an actual draft pick on Powell I would agree more with the OP's sentiment. They are taking a flyer on him as a speedster. When he catches 50 balls in the NFL I will have concerns. Until that, it's nothing. This signing is blown way out of proportion unless something comes of it.
2. Give Kirk some credit. There were bad years with Norm, too. Does Norm only get credit for the good years but no blame for the bad years? It can't work both ways.
3. People bashed Kirk before the Orange Bowl win over Georgia Tech. He can't coach, etc. etc. The season went great and people jumped back on the bandwagon.

1. If a team would've spent an actual draft pick on Powell I would agree more with the OP's sentiment. They are taking a flyer on him as a speedster. When he catches 50 balls in the NFL I will have concerns. Until that, it's nothing. This signing is blown way out of proportion unless something comes of it.
2. Give Kirk some credit. There were bad years with Norm, too. Does Norm only get credit for the good years but no blame for the bad years? It can't work both ways.
3. People bashed Kirk before the Orange Bowl win over Georgia Tech. He can't coach, etc. etc. The season went great and people jumped back on the bandwagon.

I think most people recognize the Orange Bowl season as a great season where a lot of luck went our way. Getting to face Georgia Tech was almost as much of a gift as the 2 blocked FG's against N. Iowa.

Reactions: WeWantDiaco
they must not have gotten the memo from Kirk that Powell is "just a young guy" despite being a Senior.

oblivious is the comment that comes to mind when i think of that gem by Kirk.

Do people actually believe this?
I
I think most people recognize the Orange Bowl season as a great season where a lot of luck went our way. Getting to face Georgia Tech was almost as much of a gift as the 2 blocked FG's against N. Iowa.

So Iowa was lucky to draw Georgia Tech as an opponent, who defeated Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Clemson (twice), and had an offense that averaged almost 40 points a game (and had Demaryius Thomas). Iowa's defense held them to 14. Makes sense.

I just have to laugh at some of the replies on this board.
Over 50 undrafted F/A made NFL rosters last year.
Heck The Seahawks had 21 undrafted F/A on the super bowl team.
I suppose people like Kurt Warner.Arain Foster,Wes Welker,Antonio Gates ect...should of listen to there fan base and said the hell with football when not drafted.

I

So Iowa was lucky to draw Georgia Tech as an opponent, who defeated Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Clemson (twice), and had an offense that averaged almost 40 points a game (and had Demaryius Thomas). Iowa's defense held them to 14. Makes sense.
Can almost guarantee that he's going to reply, "GT was one dimensional the entire year!!!"

Please post a quote where Kirk said he couldn't learn the play book.

Do people actually believe this?

I certainly dont. Those who are saying it don't believe it. They say it because its a way to pick away at anything that KF may have accomplished that's positive. Didn't you get the memo? KF sucks and everything he does sucks. He likes losing and being mediocre.

Reactions: ichawk24
I just have to laugh at some of the replies on this board.
Over 50 undrafted F/A made NFL rosters last year.
Heck The Seahawks had 21 undrafted F/A on the super bowl team.
I suppose people like Kurt Warner.Arain Foster,Wes Welker,Antonio Gates ect...should of listen to there fan base and said the hell with football when not drafted.

No one said it doesn't happen. Most undrafted free agents don't make it. That is a fact.

I certainly dont. Those who are saying it don't believe it. They say it because its a way to pick away at anything that KF may have accomplished that's positive. Didn't you get the memo? KF sucks and everything he does sucks. He likes losing and being mediocre.

Tell me who the other teams in BCS bowls were that year and I will tell you if we got s good draw.

This guy is the reason we won the Orange Bowl.
Orange+Bowl+Iowa+v+Georgia+Tech+UC_lC_3IfExl.jpg

Can almost guarantee that he's going to reply, "GT was one dimensional the entire year!!!"

Anyone who knows Iowa football was licking their chops when we got matched up with Ga Tech. I am sorry if you are a new fan and don't understand how great it was to face a team only capable of running the ball.

Anyone who knows Iowa football was licking their chops when we got matched up with Ga Tech. I am sorry if you are a new fan and don't understand how great it was to face a team only capable of running the ball.

"Only" capable. It wasn't that they were only capable, it's that they were so capable they didn't have to do anything else.

I understand how it's easy to prepare for a team that only does one thing, sure. Look at all the teams that beat us. Doesn't mean that Georgia Tech would've been an easier win than any other team. Anything else about that is a matter of opinion and not backed by fact.

cannot believe there isn't a Cody Sokol thread yet along these lines......" he is good enough to sign with an NFL team but not good enough for the Hawkeyes?.....blah, blah, blah"

Figured that would be low-hanging fruit for some of you all..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT