ADVERTISEMENT

B.S.

I don't care who represents this weight class one way or the other so.......................... since no one here truly knows what happened, you either have to trust the process, or you change it. He was denied at one level, followed the bylaws and the rules, and was eventually granted an opportunity. This may be an unusual circumstance compared to others in the past, but it isn't necessarily a first. Someone is going to be pissed and someone isn't. Green takes care of business, problem solved. If not, get the rules changed to address it.

Unless Marable is some kind of "shady character" and has a history of this sort of thing, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. Plus isn't he 1 of only 2 folks to beat Burroughs in Freestyle? Sounds like a good guy to have on the team to me.

Reactions: whejoe
I don't care who represents this weight class one way or the other so.......................... since no one here truly knows what happened, you either have to trust the process, or you change it. He was denied at one level, followed the bylaws and the rules, and was eventually granted an opportunity. This may be an unusual circumstance compared to others in the past, but it isn't necessarily a first. Someone is going to be pissed and someone isn't. Green takes care of business, problem solved. If not, get the rules changed to address it.

Unless Marable is some kind of "shady character" and has a history of this sort of thing, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. Plus isn't he 1 of only 2 folks to beat Burroughs in Freestyle? Sounds like a good guy to have on the team to me.

The wrestling site we do not mention on this "dumpster fire" of a forum has a list of US World Team members including Hawks Metcalf and Ramos who unanimously support James Green and think the decision is BS. The list is long and distinguished and includes David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Dylan Ness, (who points out that he was injured one year at NCAA and would like his rematch now) Reese Humphrey, Keith Gavin, Jay Borshel etc. I didn't read one post in support of Marable. If Marable were to win the wrestle off I would imagine it would put a bit of a damper on the amazing team atmosphere the coaching staff has going with the World Team. I also like Green style much more than Marable's. Marable was able to stifle Burroughs up a weight class, but hasn't had much international success at the lower weight class. He is incredibly defensive and boring to watch. He either wins a close match or loses a close match. Green has a lot of upside and is still getting better. I picked Schlatter to beat him at the US Open and Green absolutely murdered him. I'm pulling for James Green in this one. BTW I was injured while the US Open was being wrestled, do I get a shot at taking out Jake Herbert? At least I'd get a free trip to watch Fargo!

The wrestling site we do not mention on this "dumpster fire" of a forum has a list of US World Team members including Hawks Metcalf and Ramos who unanimously support James Green and think the decision is BS. The list is long and distinguished and includes David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Dylan Ness, (who points out that he was injured one year at NCAA and would like his rematch now) Reese Humphrey, Keith Gavin, Jay Borshel etc. I didn't read one post in support of Marable. If Marable were to win the wrestle off I would imagine it would put a bit of a damper on the amazing team atmosphere the coaching staff has going with the World Team. I also like Green style much more than Marable's. Marable was able to stifle Burroughs up a weight class, but hasn't had much international success at the lower weight class. He is incredibly defensive and boring to watch. He either wins a close match or loses a close match. Green has a lot of upside and is still getting better. I picked Schlatter to beat him at the US Open and Green absolutely murdered him. I'm pulling for James Green in this one. BTW I was injured while the US Open was being wrestled, do I get a shot at taking out Jake Herbert? At least I'd get a free trip to watch Fargo!
Thanks for the info.

But as stated, sounds like Marable is playing by the rules, and all the guys who have expressed an opinion one way or another would have the same opportunity to do what Marable did if the circumstances were the same (whether they choose to or not is another story). If it's an issue with so many people, they need to change the process (and maybe they will). So apparently it's more of an "ethical" thing for the guys who oppose Marable (or they just don't like him for one reason or another).

Nothing against Marable, and I don't think the guys listed on Flo have anything against him either....if it's as you say Sloe, then there needed to be some transparency in the process. Green just got back from Spain and has to make scratch weight again in five days. While we don't know the particulars, it does have a strong whiff of B.S. (and that's not Brandon Sorensen I'm talking about AF...hehe)

Reactions: whejoe
I think the question of whether Marable is playing by the rules turns on whether he had a legitimate injury at the time. I don't know the answer to that, but, like Socal, I find it remarkable that many of Marable's peers are questioning the fairness of the process, which makes me wonder whether whatever injury he had was sufficiently severe to have kept him out of the world team trials tournament. These guys are always dinged up. It's the nature of the sport. Given that the trials were a little over one month ago, the injury was not so severe that it kept him from recovering in just four weeks. I'm skeptical. Just one person's opinion. Would like to see Green win to put the controversy to rest. Plus I like the way he wrestles.

Reading those rules it appeared he was still required to make weight but didn't. Am I missing something?

I believe Marable appealed using the Amateur Sports Act and the independent arbitrator granted the wrestle-off with Green. So he kind of ran an end-around the USA Wrestling rules. I don't necessarily blame him for doing it if that was his only shot, but it sucks for Green.

Last edited:
Flo just put up a podcast that included these basic highlights:

The arbitration was done via conference call

-Marable was 1lb over, fell and suffered a concussion

-USAW contended that this was a foreseen circumstance from not properly cutting weight

-USAW says they believe Marable was injured and backtracks during conference call

-Green's attorney requested Marable's medical records from being weighed at the doctor (apparently he was 171lbs)

I would assume that IF(key word) he was truly concussed there was no way he could physically comply with making weight in the required 18 hour window.........

If he indeed was 17 pounds over at the doctors office, there is no way they should have granted him a wrestle off. USAW got it right, the arbitrator got it wrong.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT