ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Baseball Tournament

Mar 14, 2003
I realize there is still one game left in the regular season. However, Iowa being the 2 seed will play at approximately 1pm CST in Minneapolis on Wednesday. If they win, they play at approximately 5pm on Thursday, if they lose it will be 9am on Thursday.

It looks like our first game could be very tough and at this point could be against Indiana, Ohio State or Maryland. None of those are going to be very easy at all.

Not sure how the tiebreakers work but Hawkeye Heaven says we're playing OSU. Would much rather play a team that's reeling than one like Indiana that's been red hot lately

OSU is going to be an EXTREMELY tough matchup. Keep in mind they were right on our heels until they lost their last few series. Their offense has some pop and their pitching is solid. Tanner Tully is their Friday starter (he is a lefty) and he did not pitch this weekend. So it's a 100% guarantee we will see him on Wednesday and his pitch count will be 100+ unless we can run him. OSU did this last year and Tully threw solid vs Nebby, he went 7 innings and was pulled after 121 pitches. OSU imploded in the last two innings once he was out. Iowa didn't have much success vs Tully last year as he went six or seven I believe and the only two runs scored against him were unearned. Iowa lost that game 9-4.

The good news, OSU has a very good RPI so you can only win that category. Our side of the bracket could very well be Iowa, OSU, MSU, and Maryland. That is a stacked side of the bracket.

Iowa had some BADDD at bats, especially in todays game. Lets hope they have those out of their system. Going to need to be very sharp to beat a guy like Tanner Tully if that is who we face.

Iowa's side of the bracket is

2. Iowa vs 7. Ohio State
3. Michigan vs 6. Indiana

Losers play at 9am on Thursday in an elimination game, winners play at 5pm on Thursday

None of the first pair of games will be on BTN which sucks. If we win, the second game would be on BTN. BTN's baseball coverage is BAD, especially when you consider the fact that they love to show us every game of lacrosse they can and tOSU's spring game.

OSU is going to be an EXTREMELY tough matchup. Keep in mind they were right on our heels until they lost their last few series. Their offense has some pop and their pitching is solid. Tanner Tully is their Friday starter (he is a lefty) and he did not pitch this weekend. So it's a 100% guarantee we will see him on Wednesday and his pitch count will be 100+ unless we can run him. OSU did this last year and Tully threw solid vs Nebby, he went 7 innings and was pulled after 121 pitches. OSU imploded in the last two innings once he was out. Iowa didn't have much success vs Tully last year as he went six or seven I believe and the only two runs scored against him were unearned. Iowa lost that game 9-4.

The good news, OSU has a very good RPI so you can only win that category. Our side of the bracket could very well be Iowa, OSU, MSU, and Maryland. That is a stacked side of the bracket.

Not a guarantee on Tully at all. There's a reason he didn't pitch this weekend.

Last edited:
A side note about the brackets: The field is set up in 2 pod brackets. But the teams that merge from the losers brackets WILL switch places in the bracket to create new match ups.

According to the Ohio State going with Travis Lakins (over Tully) on four days rest (he threw 87 pitches on Friday) so that is interesting. He has a good arm.

Just don't understand how you cannot have the tourney on your conference TV network! Epic fail by the B1G network.

Here is the BTN's explanation. Granted it's a sucky one, but it makes a little sense I guess. I suspect that the schools will demand better exposure next year considering the vast improvement in the conference this year.

LINK

Don't worry everyone, I did my part. I sent a re-tweet expressing the same thing directly to the BTN twitter handle. I bet that will get it taken care of.;);)

But on a serious note, I do find it ridiculous they don't cover the whole tourney and I agree with denmar that they gave a pretty sorry excuse. But that's just one man's opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT