ADVERTISEMENT

Baer, the 8th Spaghetti Noodle

1BigGalloot

Rookie
Sep 3, 2013
Everybody is deservedly excited about the 5 incoming players. The 2014 recruiting class has only two scholarship players, Uhl and Ellingson. Some might find it weird that I added a walk on into the mix (Baer), when I wrote in yesterday's "Jok the X-Factor next season?" thread regarding Iowa's bench, "Throw 8 spaghetti noodles on the wall, and I like the chances that 2 or 3 will stick."

The first inkling that Baer belongs in the discussion is the fact Fran red shirted him. You don't red shirt a walk on unless he figures in your plans.

Quotes from the awards dinner have Fran saying, "Nicholas Baer is going to leave a mark on the program when he's done."

Insiders tell me the only things keeping Baer from getting some of Uhl's minutes last year were his lean frame, and the fact he wasn't on scholarship, so there was no need to burn a year. The media guide listed him last fall as 6-7, 187. People tell me he'll be 6-8, and have a 2 in his first weight number next year. The staff sees him as a Uthoff body type, and wants him between 210 and 215 by 2016/17.

I didn't see a practice this year. Many who did say Baer was the best of the recruiting class of 2014.

The story goes, when Iowa lost to Northwestern in last year's first conference tourney game, Fran was freed up to watch Connor and Iowa City West in the 4A state semifinal the next day in Des Moines. (Yes, Patrick had just been identified as having a tumor in his neck, and family time was important, but, this would be similar to Fran watching Williams in the Illinois state semi's this year after the loss to Penn State) The Trojans led Bettendorf by 14 at half. Bettendorf's guards and wings were cold, and ignored feeding Baer, the team's center, who had just 3 shots and 3 points. Baer had 19 of his game high 22 in the second half (Mr. Iowa Basketball Wyatt Lohaus finished with 13), and as Fran said, "Nicholas almost single handedly beat Iowa City West." Bettendorf had the ball, down 2, and missed a 3 in the last 20 seconds, as the Trojans escaped.

Baer had 6 dunks on his way to 25 points in his final high school appearance the next day in the 3rd place game.

Baer has advantages over the Freshmen. He's been in the system. He's been through everything once, including a year of school, and road trips to rowdy Big Ten environs. He already fits in with the staff and teammates. He's under the radar, has little pressure, and any production from a non-scholarship player in 2015/16 has to be considered gravy. If he gets more time and turns out to be more integral than any of his fellow 7 noodles, he's a scholarship player in 2016/17.

Uthof sat a year at Wisconsin, and then his transfer year, before taking the floor at the age of 20. His 3rd year was good. His 4th, outstanding, and his 5th will be even better. Baer could be on the same trajectory. Privately, that's what the Iowa staff is hoping.

Understandably, the fan base only pays attention to the scholarship names. That's to be expected. However, those close to the program expect Baer to eventually be one of those names, and because of his familiarity with everybody and everything, has a good chance early this season to actually see the floor at the same time as some of his newbie scholarship teammates, and probably even before some of them.

Let's check him out in PrimeTime and see for ourselves. Randy Larson is a purported Baer believer because he saw him last year.

I'm not saying Baer is God's gift. I'm saying the coaching staff knows what they have in him more than the fan base does because they've seen him every day for a year, and in their mind, he's an 8th noodle they will be throwing on the wall as they search for bench production to augment the experienced upperclassmen.

The recruiting classes of 2014 and 2015 are the great unknowns that will tip the scale in 2015/16.

In a year of the secret weapon, Baer is the most secret weapon of all.

I spoke to Fran last fall about Baer. He was excited about him. He came in really thin and Fran said they had to "put some meat on his bones" before he could contribute but he liked what Baer could do. He has some skills and can play. I feel like he will contribute down the road, probably not this year. He still needs to get stronger. He has a knack for noodling his way inside and scoring amongst the trees. he can jump and he can convert. He might be the steal of the decade, who knows. I suspect it will be next season before we really find out.

Can/do basketball walk-ons travel to every road game?
Ellingson and Baer were in street clothes at all games, home and away, when Ellingson didn't suit up those few games in December. Charlie Rose and Okey Ukah were in uniform at all games. Rose made the assist to Kyle Denning on the last basket vs. Davidson in Seattle.

This is making want to go eat spaghetti.

Great thread, though. I've also heard that he is a GREAT kid with a GREAT attitude.

Baer is active. A good kind of active. The kind that drives opponents nuts.

He's also a good egg....noodle.

Baer played for my nephew at Bettendorf...posted such before.
...time will tell but he certainly has the talent to play...somewhere.

Baer is active. A good kind of active. The kind that drives opponents nuts.

He's also a good egg....noodle.

He definitely plays with intensity and can get it done on the low block. Not sure how he does it really but he manages to get the ball in the hole and he rebounds as well.

Thanks for the rundown. I thought Baer looked impressive in his preseason exhibition game. I didn't see an outside game like Utoff, but I thought he was long and creative around the hoop. Lets hope.

Everybody is deservedly excited about the 5 incoming players. The 2014 recruiting class has only two scholarship players, Uhl and Ellingson. Some might find it weird that I added a walk on into the mix (Baer), when I wrote in yesterday's "Jok the X-Factor next season?" thread regarding Iowa's bench, "Throw 8 spaghetti noodles on the wall, and I like the chances that 2 or 3 will stick."

The first inkling that Baer belongs in the discussion is the fact Fran red shirted him. You don't red shirt a walk on unless he figures in your plans.

Quotes from the awards dinner have Fran saying, "Nicholas Baer is going to leave a mark on the program when he's done."

Insiders tell me the only things keeping Baer from getting some of Uhl's minutes last year were his lean frame, and the fact he wasn't on scholarship, so there was no need to burn a year. The media guide listed him last fall as 6-7, 187. People tell me he'll be 6-8, and have a 2 in his first weight number next year. The staff sees him as a Uthoff body type, and wants him between 210 and 215 by 2016/17.

I didn't see a practice this year. Many who did say Baer was the best of the recruiting class of 2014.

The story goes, when Iowa lost to Northwestern in last year's first conference tourney game, Fran was freed up to watch Connor and Iowa City West in the 4A state semifinal the next day in Des Moines. (Yes, Patrick had just been identified as having a tumor in his neck, and family time was important, but, this would be similar to Fran watching Williams in the Illinois state semi's this year after the loss to Penn State) The Trojans led Bettendorf by 14 at half. Bettendorf's guards and wings were cold, and ignored feeding Baer, the team's center, who had just 3 shots and 3 points. Baer had 19 of his game high 22 in the second half (Mr. Iowa Basketball Wyatt Lohaus finished with 13), and as Fran said, "Nicholas almost single handedly beat Iowa City West." Bettendorf had the ball, down 2, and missed a 3 in the last 20 seconds, as the Trojans escaped.

Baer had 6 dunks on his way to 25 points in his final high school appearance the next day in the 3rd place game.

Baer has advantages over the Freshmen. He's been in the system. He's been through everything once, including a year of school, and road trips to rowdy Big Ten environs. He already fits in with the staff and teammates. He's under the radar, has little pressure, and any production from a non-scholarship player in 2015/16 has to be considered gravy. If he gets more time and turns out to be more integral than any of his fellow 7 noodles, he's a scholarship player in 2016/17.

Uthof sat a year at Wisconsin, and then his transfer year, before taking the floor at the age of 20. His 3rd year was good. His 4th, outstanding, and his 5th will be even better. Baer could be on the same trajectory. Privately, that's what the Iowa staff is hoping.

Understandably, the fan base only pays attention to the scholarship names. That's to be expected. However, those close to the program expect Baer to eventually be one of those names, and because of his familiarity with everybody and everything, has a good chance early this season to actually see the floor at the same time as some of his newbie scholarship teammates, and probably even before some of them.

Let's check him out in PrimeTime and see for ourselves. Randy Larson is a purported Baer believer because he saw him last year.

I'm not saying Baer is God's gift. I'm saying the coaching staff knows what they have in him more than the fan base does because they've seen him every day for a year, and in their mind, he's an 8th noodle they will be throwing on the wall as they search for bench production to augment the experienced upperclassmen.

The recruiting classes of 2014 and 2015 are the great unknowns that will tip the scale in 2015/16.

I'm with you all the way. I've been high on Nick for quite some time. All along I thought he could end up being a solid player for the Hawks in the mold of a player like Duez Henderson. Versatile, athletic, good defender, enough offense to warrant consideration by the opponent when he's on the floor, and great teammate.

Word on the street is that this kid is a real Baer down in the post. Hopefully he can really Baer down in the weight room this summer and put on some muscle.

So should we assume that eventually he will be given a scholarship?
I would imagine if he gets more playing time than teammates with scholarships, he'd have to. It's up to him to make it obvious to everybody (coaches, media, fans) that he's deserving. At the very least, he'll likely get one his senior year, similar to Denning this year, and Stokes the year before. However, since neither of those Scout teamers red shirted or were in his league as a player (Baer was 1st team 4A All State for a team that was 47-3 his last 2 years), he is probably either a 3 year walk on/2 year scholly, or 2 year walk on/3 year scholly.

There hasn't been an Iowa walk on with the buzz Baer has, maybe ever. Not sure what that means. Perhaps merely a product of social media, such as websites like this, and the fact he's an eastern Iowa kid.

In the days of Tom Davis and 15 scholarships, he'd already have one. Remember Jim Bartels?
Ironically, while not as financially beneficial, Baer's situation is better than circa early '90's from a basketball standpoint. Back then, the fan base tended to grow exasperated and anxious wondering if a late bloomer would ever develop, after all, there was an investment requiring a return. Bartels started one year. His 5th. By then, some fans, me included, thought, "For the love of God, Bartels, have that baby."

Baer has no pressure. Nobody is clamoring for him, or asking the coach if he's ever going to pan out. He's under the radar (at least he was before I initiated this thread).

The proof will be in the pudding, either by this Christmas, or the next. If he gets legitimate minutes and makes contributions that can't be ignored, he'll earn one. I'd imagine his parents are riding him to take care of business this year, and get one of the 4 coming available with the exit of Gessell, Clemmons, Woodbury and Uthoff. Barring transfers, the math is less favorable in 2016/17, as I believe Jok is the only scheduled departure, although Baer is a 3/4 combo.

Hawk fans will come to like him when they get to know him. He's a Hawkeye, through and through. He could've played right away last year, in D2, and had Missouri Valley walk on opportunities (UNI/Drake) that likely guaranteed him court time this year. But, wearing the black and gold was evidently his priority.

The proof will be in the pudding, either by this Christmas, or the next. If he gets legitimate minutes and makes contributions that can't be ignored, he'll earn one. I'd imagine his parents are riding him to take care of business this year, and get one of the 4 coming available with the exit of Gessell, Clemmons, Woodbury and Uthoff. Barring transfers, the math is less favorable in 2016/17, as I believe Jok is the only scheduled departure, although Baer is a 3/4 combo.

I thought I knew who you were until you made the highlighted comment. ;)

Great write-up of young Mr. Baer. He's going to be a very valuable Hawkeye.

In the days of Tom Davis and 15 scholarships, he'd already have one. Remember Jim Bartels?
Ironically, while not as financially beneficial, Baer's situation is better than circa early '90's from a basketball standpoint. Back then, the fan base tended to grow exasperated and anxious wondering if a late bloomer would ever develop, after all, there was an investment requiring a return. Bartels started one year. His 5th. By then, some fans, me included, thought, "For the love of God, Bartels, have that baby.".

Do you mean the Jim Bartels whose career started in 1990....a full 2 years after the number of available scholarships was reduced from 15 to 13?

And by "started one year" I assume you meant "started 55 of 60 games during his junior and senior years while averaging over 11 PPG in both seasons"?

Got it.

Reactions: wondergrape
Do you mean the Jim Bartels whose career started in 1990....a full 2 years after the number of available scholarships was reduced from 15 to 13?

And by "started one year" I assume you meant "started 55 of 60 games during his junior and senior years while averaging over 11 PPG in both seasons"?

Got it.

Bartels was kind of a neat player to watch. It was like watching a high jumper play basketball. I might be misremembering, but I have this recollection of a game against Wisconsin in which Bartels was guarding Rashard Griffith for a time during the game. The poor kid disappeared when he went behind Griffith. I can't remember if that was the same game he got undercut on an alley-oop or not, but I think it might've been.

I would imagine if he gets more playing time than teammates with scholarships, he'd have to. It's up to him to make it obvious to everybody (coaches, media, fans) that he's deserving. At the very least, he'll likely get one his senior year, similar to Denning this year, and Stokes the year before. However, since neither of those Scout teamers red shirted or were in his league as a player (Baer was 1st team 4A All State for a team that was 47-3 his last 2 years), he is probably either a 3 year walk on/2 year scholly, or 2 year walk on/3 year scholly.

There hasn't been an Iowa walk on with the buzz Baer has, maybe ever. Not sure what that means. Perhaps merely a product of social media, such as websites like this, and the fact he's an eastern Iowa kid.

Ironically, while not as financially beneficial, Baer's situation is better than circa early '90's from a basketball standpoint. Back then, the fan base tended to grow exasperated and anxious wondering if a late bloomer would ever develop, after all, there was an investment requiring a return. Bartels started one year. His 5th. By then, some fans, me included, thought, "For the love of God, Bartels, have that baby."

Baer has no pressure. Nobody is clamoring for him, or asking the coach if he's ever going to pan out. He's under the radar (at least he was before I initiated this thread).

Hawk fans will come to like him when they get to know him. He's a Hawkeye, through and through. He could've played right away last year, in D2, and had Missouri Valley walk on opportunities (UNI/Drake) that likely guaranteed him court time this year. But, wearing the black and gold was evidently his priority.

I believe departures at conclusion of 2016/17 season should include Jok & Jones....

Stokes red-shirted his freshman year. That didn't mean he was going to be an integral part of the offense by his junior year. You are "red-shirted" because you didn't play. You play too much and you can't count the year as a "red-shirt". Fran didn't choose to red-shirt Baer, there was no way he was going to see the court his first year.

Baer will be on scholarship some year and will play.

Stokes red-shirted his freshman year. That didn't mean he was going to be an integral part of the offense by his junior year. You are "red-shirted" because you didn't play. You play too much and you can't count the year as a "red-shirt". Fran didn't choose to red-shirt Baer, there was no way he was going to see the court his first year.

Baer will be on scholarship some year and will play.

Not sure that's true. I think Fran said before the season he wanted to redshirt Baer because he had a "plan" for him. That's why we saw him in the exhibition game but street clothes afterwards. Looked pretty saavy in the exhibition game too IIRC.

If he contributes in any way, I would expect him to receive a scholarship if a player transfers or leaves.

I can only post what I was told , recently... but we will see...chances are even less that he finishes the next 4 years at Iowa...for sure he has too much talent to sit on the bench.

By many accounts, Kyle Denning "left his mark" on the program, in a very positive way. Let's keep things in perspective here and see how it plays out. I won't complain if he turns out to be a master of the scout team, we need those guys too.

lets be clear about one thing...Baer elected to redshirt last year...not Fran....Baer did so to take advantage of Iowa's strength & conditioning program without wasting a year of eligibility by playing in games in mop of mode.

his career will be interesting to follow....I would be all in if it was at Iowa.

[
lets be clear about one thing...Baer elected to redshirt last year...not Fran....Baer did so to take advantage of Iowa's strength & conditioning program without wasting a year of eligibility by playing in games in mop of mode.

his career will be interesting to follow....I would be all in if it was at Iowa.

Thanks Bob. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Baer. Everything about the walk-on is a win/win. Baer gets the tutelage of a great staff and fantastic facilities, and Iowa gets a player that can provide solid competition in practice.

[

Thanks Bob. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Baer. Everything about the walk-on is a win/win. Baer gets the tutelage of a great staff and fantastic facilities, and Iowa gets a player that can provide solid competition in practice.
And now free food, too, at least in-season.

Reactions: DC#5
Redshirting for someone like Baer also is a good idea if he decides to move on to a lower level school in the future, like Stokes did. It's great for the program to have players like Baer be willing to sacrifice some of the glamour of PT for being part of something bigger, especially at their own expense (both financially and other). But there may come a time when he decides he wants more and by redshirting this last season it may allow him some more freedom (if he were to graduate in 4 years and be able to go anywhere he wants for a 5th year) and also have more to offer the next school (if he decides to go to a D2 school he would have an extra season for that school).

I always thought that Baer wasn't a typical walkon and will be playing at some point. I think we will see him get a few minutes this upcoming season.

Did he have any D 1 scholly offers? Surprised Drake or Western Illinois didn't come calling.

Timing is everything. Baer's was awful. He was like a 4AM meteor shower, when everybody has gone to bed, and has yet to wake.

Those familiar with Bettendorf know the story. Baer was a late bloomer in a very talented class. Had a classmate who started as a Freshman and left as the leading scorer in school history with over 1,000 career points and as two-time, 2nd team All State selection. Had 2 additional classmates on the varsity as Sophomores. One made 3rd team all state as a Junior, and honorable mention as a Senior. The other played quite a bit this year as a Freshman for Augustana, IL, which finished 2nd in D3 and was ranked #1 most of the season.

Baer didn't make a varsity start until his 5th game as a Junior. Averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds on a 26-1 team whose only loss was in the 4A title game to Iowa City West, which was 52-0 over 2 years.

Was best player on a 25-2 team as a Senior. Two classmates signed D2's before the season (Missouri Western and Wayne State, NE). Baer averaged 15 points, 9 rebounds in maybe 23 minutes a game on a team with 4 double figure scorers. Was Conference Player of the Year, Quad City Metro Co-Player of the Year, and 1st Team All State despite not even being honorable mention All State the year before. That is very rare. Hence the meteor shower simile. Belatedly bursting on the scene when the recruiting crowd has gone home has no advantages.

In a day when players are identified as 8th graders and offered in April as Freshman and Sophomores, Baer's sin was coming of age his senior year. By then, all the scholarship goodies had been handed out, many to far inferior players.

I spend a lot of time in the Quad Cities and am fond of the family. He'd never say, but I imagine it chapped him when Pepperdine came to Carver this December with a Freshman scholarship player from Waukee who was never all state, but had been offered a free ride in 2011.

Drake, UNI and Iowa essentially had no scholarships last spring (Iowa needed a point guard, giving one to Dickerson, and another to 4 year scout squader, Kyle Denning). All D1 state schools saw Baer at state, and offered him a preferred walk on opportunity. Western Illinois had a coaching change when Molinari retired. I'm not sure anyone can explain what's going on in Macomb.

D2 Northwest Missouri State offered a scholarship. Baer's faith in his expanding upside, a family willing to invest in his dream, and a sister already on campus are reasons he's a Hawkeye.

My days as Nicholas Baer's publicist are over. I only stepped in because threads were deservedly excited about the scholarship newcomers, but, I've learned those in the program expect big things from Baer, and Bettendorfers won't be surprised to see a reprise of his high school career, where highly touted teammates do well, but in time, he's even more productive.

He'll earn all the notoriety and attention he gets. He's very humble, and my impression of him is that he'd be appalled all of us have devoted this much time and space to him.

In short, he's a D1 skill set in a D2 body. The D1 body is on its way.

Numbers notwithstanding, Baer looks like a big man's Steph Curry in that he's thin and fragile, but competes and can play. His motor allows him to be more productive than you'd expect. In time, he'll remind Hawk fans of a Ryan Bowen who can shoot.

My only purpose was to get Hawk eyes on the look out for him.

You'll enjoy learning more about him over time. He'll make Hawk fans proud. He's going to be a fan favorite over the course of the next four years. You heard it here, first.

lets be clear about one thing...Baer elected to redshirt last year...not Fran....
Not sure that's true. Here's an excerpt from a Quad City Times article written in October:

"He said he and head coach Fran McCaffery will have a conversation at some point about whether or not he will redshirt, thereby preserving four years of eligibility beyond this season. He said it’s McCaffery’s call.

“At the end of the day, he’ll make the decision that’s best for me and best for the team,’’ Baer said."

Timing is everything. Baer's was awful. He was like a 4AM meteor shower, when everybody has gone to bed, and has yet to wake.

Those familiar with Bettendorf know the story. Baer was a late bloomer in a very talented class. Had a classmate who started as a Freshman and left as the leading scorer in school history with over 1,000 career points and as two-time, 2nd team All State selection. Had 2 additional classmates on the varsity as Sophomores. One made 3rd team all state as a Junior, and honorable mention as a Senior. The other played quite a bit this year as a Freshman for Augustana, IL, which finished 2nd in D3 and was ranked #1 most of the season.

Baer didn't make a varsity start until his 5th game as a Junior. Averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds on a 26-1 team whose only loss was in the 4A title game to Iowa City West, which was 52-0 over 2 years.

Was best player on a 25-2 team as a Senior. Two classmates signed D2's before the season (Missouri Western and Wayne State, NE). Baer averaged 15 points, 9 rebounds in maybe 23 minutes a game on a team with 4 double figure scorers. Was Conference Player of the Year, Quad City Metro Co-Player of the Year, and 1st Team All State despite not even being honorable mention All State the year before. That is very rare. Hence the meteor shower simile. Belatedly bursting on the scene when the recruiting crowd has gone home has no advantages.

In a day when players are identified as 8th graders and offered in April as Freshman and Sophomores, Baer's sin was coming of age his senior year. By then, all the scholarship goodies had been handed out, many to far inferior players.

I spend a lot of time in the Quad Cities and am fond of the family. He'd never say, but I imagine it chapped him when Pepperdine came to Carver this December with a Freshman scholarship player from Waukee who was never all state, but had been offered a free ride in 2011.

Drake, UNI and Iowa essentially had no scholarships last spring (Iowa needed a point guard, giving one to Dickerson, and another to 4 year scout squader, Kyle Denning). All D1 state schools saw Baer at state, and offered him a preferred walk on opportunity. Western Illinois had a coaching change when Molinari retired. I'm not sure anyone can explain what's going on in Macomb.

D2 Northwest Missouri State offered a scholarship. Baer's faith in his expanding upside, a family willing to invest in his dream, and a sister already on campus are reasons he's a Hawkeye.

My days as Nicholas Baer's publicist are over. I only stepped in because threads were deservedly excited about the scholarship newcomers, but, I've learned those in the program expect big things from Baer, and Bettendorfers won't be surprised to see a reprise of his high school career, where highly touted teammates do well, but in time, he's even more productive.

He'll earn all the notoriety and attention he gets. He's very humble, and my impression of him is that he'd be appalled all of us have devoted this much time and space to him.

In short, he's a D1 skill set in a D2 body. The D1 body is on its way.

Numbers notwithstanding, Baer looks like a big man's Steph Curry in that he's thin and fragile, but competes and can play. His motor allows him to be more productive than you'd expect. In time, he'll remind Hawk fans of a Ryan Bowen who can shoot.

My only purpose was to get Hawk eyes on the look out for him.

You'll enjoy learning more about him over time. He'll make Hawk fans proud. He's going to be a fan favorite over the course of the next four years. You heard it here, first.

Can't let this pass without sayin, "excellent post". This is the kind of info everyone (except the trolls) loves to read.

I don't think Gall
Not sure that's true. Here's an excerpt from a Quad City Times article written in October:

"He said he and head coach Fran McCaffery will have a conversation at some point about whether or not he will redshirt, thereby preserving four years of eligibility beyond this season. He said it’s McCaffery’s call.

“At the end of the day, he’ll make the decision that’s best for me and best for the team,’’ Baer said."

that was back in October...I can only state what his high school head coach told me...Baer did not want to waste a year playing a few minutes here or there...I'm sure if Fran had told him he wanted him to play..he would have. Fran didn't..therefore Baer decided to use the year to get a little stronger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT