ADVERTISEMENT

Barrington Wade Announcing Today

hawkeyefanatic84

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2010
Looks like Barrington Wade will be announcing his college choice today at 11:30. Based off of his offer list and previous comments about Iowa I'm guessing he'll be our next commit.

Looks like his school's athletic department ruined the surprise and announced that he'll be committing to Iowa.

Show of hands, who here has watched him? I assume everyone since everyone has an opinion of him. Disregard his measurables (6'1", 210, 4.5 40; 3 stars). Since he's so terrible that only Kirk and MAC schools would offer (not true but ok), what needs to be improved based on what you've seen?

Reactions: NomisHawk
Congrats to Mr Wade. Like to hear he is versatile and can play either LB or RB. Same thing said about Hitchens when he came here and has same size too.

When read thread early this morning I knew there would be the people on here whining about his offers or if he had chosen else where would be complaining how we lost him to non power conf school. So would be bitching one way or another and sure enough there they are. One doesn't have to go all Kilroy on recruits but dear lord no reason to write someone off before they ever step foot on campus and hate on the kid this early. One thing to remember on this kid he missed some games last year with an injury and can easily be someone who receives more offers from bigger schools as time goes on. But sure if he leaves to another power 5 conf school these same posters be complaining how we let another great recruit get away to another school.

Reactions: ichawk24
@iahawkeyes17 I agree with you 100%. Good post. Give the kid a chance. Just made a big decision in his life and he is probably excited along with the rest of his family. HE's A HAWK. Good luck Mr. Wade.

Reactions: ichawk24
2 and 3 star recruits always suck. Just ask the uninformed.

Signed,
Brandon Scherff
Carl Davis
Anthony Hitchens
Christian Kirksey
Marvin McNutt
and others

Its funny how people forget Dez King only had offers from MAC schools..he really sucks wish we didn't recruit that guy..oh wait, Starter from Day 1 and has the potential this year to be 1st team All-Big Ten and get drafted.

People need to accept the fact WE ARE IOWA! We are not tOSU or Michigan or the other big boys in the Big Ten. We don't get the attention that a 4 or 5 star player wants at a University. Iowa prides themselves on developing talent. That is what every recruiting class is for Iowa or you get a bust of a class 2004. Don't be so picky, there are plenty of guys that turn out to be studs that only have "MAC Offers"

Havent even had the kid for a couple hrs and this is what happens, get a grip fellas..

This is a good commitment. Welcome aboard Mr. Wade. If you bother to look at his profile and highlights beyond just his offer list, you can see that not only does he have the measureables, but he has more than enough ability. Also, even in his highlight reel, you can tell from the first 5 minutes that the offensive line that he is running behind at his school is small and, to put it lightly, sieve-like. Wade never has a solid contain block and gets yards after contact despite running fairly tall. The blocking lasts for part of a second before the plays dissolve into the line collapsing and Wade making the most of it.

Also, take a look at the measurables - 6'1, 207 (with plenty room left on his frame), low 40 time, as well as 10.9 100 meter, 49.79 400m - this kid is a long-strider and you see what happens in a couple of plays when he doesn't get touched for 10-15 yards - home run speed.

This is a kid that Iowa offered very early and got. It has been a long time since we got a commitments from our first few targets at that position.

Additionally, for those who complain nothing is changing about recruiting, take a look at this article that quotes Josh Hemholdt, midwest recruiting analyst. http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...yes-class-of-2016-recruiting-update/71187340/

There are changes that are being made, both in approach and I would argue that the early results are indicative of a shift as well. For myself, I will will wait and err on the side of optimism and encouragement.

Congrats Barrington Wade Jr. - Welcome to the Hawkeye family!

Reactions: icu81222
Iowa is going to develop 3-4 two and three star players each class into NFL talent but you need way more B1G caliber players throughout the 2 deeps to win games. Simple as that. Will this kid be one of the few in the class to make an impact???? Perhaps.

Iowa is going to develop 3-4 two and three star players each class into NFL talent but you need way more B1G caliber players throughout the 2 deeps to win games. Simple as that. Will this kid be one of the few in the class to make an impact???? Perhaps.
Why, all of a sudden, is 3 stars not considered B1G caliber? 2 stars I get, but outside of the top 15 teams or so, classes at every power 5 program are made up predominantly of 3 stars. I get that people are frustrated with Kirk and the recent woes and what has been admittedly rough recruiting, but this is not a bad commit at all. This is exactly the type of commit B1G classes are made of and what will hopefully keep the staff from adding a 2 star or no star kid the day before signing day. So his offer list wasn't 3 pages long, but he was getting looks by other power 5 schools and had been on campus at several (Wisconsin included). Very solid pickup imo.

Its funny how people forget Dez King only had offers from MAC schools..he really sucks wish we didn't recruit that guy..oh wait, Starter from Day 1 and has the potential this year to be 1st team All-Big Ten and get drafted.

People need to accept the fact WE ARE IOWA! We are not tOSU or Michigan or the other big boys in the Big Ten. We don't get the attention that a 4 or 5 star player wants at a University. Iowa prides themselves on developing talent. That is what every recruiting class is for Iowa or you get a bust of a class 2004. Don't be so picky, there are plenty of guys that turn out to be studs that only have "MAC Offers"

Havent even had the kid for a couple hrs and this is what happens, get a grip fellas..
King had offers from Wisconsin and Indiana.

Why, all of a sudden, is 3 stars not considered B1G caliber? 2 stars I get, but outside of the top 15 teams or so, classes at every power 5 program are made up predominantly of 3 stars. I get that people are frustrated with Kirk and the recent woes and what has been admittedly rough recruiting, but this is not a bad commit at all. This is exactly the type of commit B1G classes are made of and what will hopefully keep the staff from adding a 2 star or no star kid the day before signing day. So his offer list wasn't 3 pages long, but he was getting looks by other power 5 schools and had been on campus at several (Wisconsin included). Very solid pickup imo.

What many folks ignore is that two of the top 5 ranked classes from last year had 2 and 3 star players that they signed. Funny if Iowa does it it is wrong but a top 5 ranked class that takes a 2 or 3 star player is A OK.

Just for info, Iowa just offered a 2 star with offers from Presbyterian and Western Kentucky

Just for info, Iowa just offered a 2 star with offers from Presbyterian and Western Kentucky
Was his name Barrington Wade? I've said I agree Iowa recruiting has been suspect (although I think there is at least a sign of life with the change in philosophy, better than I can say with regard to the offense), but I don't get the faux outrage at this recruit in particular. He looks very solid from what I've seen.

Well that settles it, then.

No other major coaching staff in the country agrees with you, but as long as YOU think he can play, that's all that matters.
I understand you're just trolling, but since you're obviously just as easily trolled, I'll play along.

Please define major coaching staff. I think Iowa is a major conference program and their staff qualifies. I think, despite you're faux outrage and belief that ANYTHING this staff does must be wrong, they've actually shown a decent ability to identify talent thats a bit more under the radar. I'm going going to play the name game with you, but the list of unheard of players with offers from Iowa and MAC schools or nobody is quite extensive. A decent number of those guys are now multi-millionaires having played in the NFL.

I assume you'll respond with your own hypocrisy telling me now how YOU don't think those players are any good because they played on teams that lost games, but strangely NFL front offices didn't give a damn and seemed to think they were good players. I'm sure you know better though.

Please, tell me how stupid I am, throw a creative name at me. Hopefully we'll be able to get some back and forth in on this user name.

I understand you're just trolling, but since you're obviously just as easily trolled, I'll play along.

Please define major coaching staff. I think Iowa is a major conference program and their staff qualifies. I think, despite you're faux outrage and belief that ANYTHING this staff does must be wrong, they've actually shown a decent ability to identify talent thats a bit more under the radar. I'm going going to play the name game with you, but the list of unheard of players with offers from Iowa and MAC schools or nobody is quite extensive. A decent number of those guys are now multi-millionaires having played in the NFL.

I assume you'll respond with your own hypocrisy telling me now how YOU don't think those players are any good because they played on teams that lost games, but strangely NFL front offices didn't give a damn and seemed to think they were good players. I'm sure you know better though.

Please, tell me how stupid I am, throw a creative name at me. Hopefully we'll be able to get some back and forth in on this user name.

Steve is an isu fan that wouldn't know a great coaching staff if it bit him. Let alone a great football program.

Was his name Barrington Wade? I've said I agree Iowa recruiting has been suspect (although I think there is at least a sign of life with the change in philosophy, better than I can say with regard to the offense), but I don't get the faux outrage at this recruit in particular. He looks very solid from what I've seen.
Iowa obviously needs all the athletic talent they can get. Wade is an athlete, that over time, with proper coaching (which I think he will get under Coach Reid) has the potential to develop into a good player at Iowa
My comment was in reference to your statement about 2 star players and hoping they won't be forced to sign many/anymore, of them.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Iowa obviously needs all the athletic talent they can get. Wade is an athlete, that over time, with proper coaching (which I think he will get under Coach Reid) has the potential to develop into a good player at Iowa
My comment was in reference to your statement about 2 star players and hoping they won't be forced to sign many/anymore, of them.
Got it. My reply was more directed at those more vocal in the thread who now seem to have been removed.

I do think the offers to 2 star types should be limited, but one here or there are ok and honestly I'd rather have them come now when at least I feel likes there's a chance the staff sees something others haven't. My concern is more about he guys that get an offer on signing day when someone decommits. I think the RB out of bama has a chance to be good, but was clearly a fallback. At least a kid added now isn't a fallback yet. For comparison, MSU also has a commitment from a 2 star who only had MAC offers. I think most would be pretty happy if all of a sudden we were getting classes like they have. The difference, imo, comes at the top of the class where MSU is hitting on more of their tier one targets. I think the new strategy of casting a wide net and getting on kids early may help but it's too early to tell.

Nah, just another MAC level recruit who will help Kirk win 7 games a year....that is until he is fired and we bring in another coach who will take us to where we, as fans, want to be....

I think some posters let their KF hatred leak over to recruiting on some players. Wade isn't a small town 2* player from Iowa. He's versatile 3* athlete from Near Chicago who could easily have bigger schools offer even after today. I bet if KF left and someone like Bielema took over And offered him they'd be praising Wade's commitment today. Kids an athlete something Iowa needs more of and can play multiple spots.

I think some posters let their KF hatred leak over to recruiting on some players. Wade isn't a small town 2* player from Iowa. He's versatile 3* athlete from Near Chicago who could easily have bigger schools offer even after today. I bet if KF left and someone like Bielema took over And offered him they'd be praising Wade's commitment today. Kids an athlete something Iowa needs more of and can play multiple spots.
Everything about this kid size and speed reminds me of David Johnson wouldn't that be nice.

I think Steve is busy setting up a new account.

Everything about this kid size and speed reminds me of David Johnson wouldn't that be nice.

After watching the film, I think that is a good comparison. Could be a versatile RB or with a little more size, a LB. Looks like a good athlete. I would guess he will see some other offers but hope we keep him.

Nah, just another MAC level recruit who will help Kirk win 7 games a year....that is until he is fired and we bring in another coach who will take us to where we, as fans, want to be....

Dare I ask where do "we" want to be, and who is the magic coach that's going to defy 100+ of past results.

This is exactly the mentality that pisses so many other fans off. Great recruiters get great recruits. MSU has been a damn good program for quite a few years now, as Wisconsin is. They compete and beat the likes of OSU. Remember when they were just average, like Iowa is now. They recruited better and the results are obvious. With that said, I'm not knocking any of the recruits that committed to Iowa. I'm knocking those that actually believe we can't get 4 or 5 star talent because "we are Iowa".

Reactions: gryzz14
I like the commit. There is always a reason for the ranking that a player has. In Wade's case, I would think that the injury which caused him to 3 games with a foot injury, kept his stats below 1000 rushing yards and cost him some publicity. Add another 3 games, and he would likely have been well over a thousand yards. I like the season best of 49.79 in the 400, and qualifying for state in the 4 x 100, at 6'1 and 207. I like the 19 rushing TDs.

I'm no expert, but he does seem to run pretty upright. Reminded me a little of Levron Williams, the IU running back when IU had Antwaan Randle-El. It worked for Levron Williams, who was tall for a RB and had good speed, but it is not how you would prefer your RB to run. I would guess that if he stays at RB, they will be working on him to lower his pad level.

I have always thought that the thing to do, when looking at Iowa's recruiting classes, is to compare them against each other. It is hard to deny that the last couple of classes have been missing the couple of "jewels" at the top of the recruiting class. You want to win more of those high profile battles than Iowa has. But I think Wade is a solid addition to this class.

I still don't want recruits or coaches that act like MSU's have in the past, faking injuries and unsportsmanlike conduct. I hate it when Iowa players do it.

But I want more wins.

Beat UNI and New Mexico for another one today. I personally love this new strategy of offering other B1G teams fallback recruits. Don't waste time going after sure thing difference makers that you have to battle Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Minnesota for 8 months straight. Instead just secure all your competition's fallback recruits and use your time and energy studying film so you can out coach and out scheme all of your opponents.

This is exactly the mentality that pisses so many other fans off. Great recruiters get great recruits. MSU has been a damn good program for quite a few years now, as Wisconsin is. They compete and beat the likes of OSU. Remember when they were just average, like Iowa is now. They recruited better and the results are obvious. With that said, I'm not knocking any of the recruits that committed to Iowa. I'm knocking those that actually believe we can't get 4 or 5 star talent because "we are Iowa".

Actually, if you go back and look, Wisconsin's recruiting classes are usually right around were we are. The highest ranked class they've had since 2006 is 33. They've had classes ranked 57, 57, & 88 since then with most in the mid 40's. Hmmm....that sounds familiar (except for the 88).

MSU has done better, but still had 4 classes in the 40's since then. They've largely feasted off of Michigan's misfortune over the last decade plus. Talk about a wet dream...target rich recruiting environment and the other more prominent program was a steaming pile of dog crap.

Look, I am not trying to say we are Iowa we will never get good solid players because that is proven. But you have to admit Wisconsin and MSU have much different talent pools in state to recruit from. Everything goes in a cycle in the Big Ten, soon enough MSU will be right back where we are and same with Wisconsin. Reality of it is when we do get a 4 or 5 star recruit class like we have had in the past fans rip on them when they don't perform, I would rather get the 3 star guys that come in with a chip on their shoulder, that is what the Iowa program is about, HELL IT IS WHAT THE STATE OF IOWA IS ABOUT.

Reactions: Buckwatcher
Kid is a good athlete. It will be interesting to see if he ends up as a LB. He reminds me of Hitchens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT