ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Field Turf

cg8284

HR MVP
Nov 1, 2010
Just tweeted picture of turf in process:

Baq8VKrCcAIHlgp.jpg:large

This post was edited on 12/4 5:42 PM by cg8284

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing all the positives coming out of the Heller hiring, including him telling D.A. Barta what NEEDS to be done, since that guy is clueless.

He will do some great things, it's just too bad he didn't get started in Iowa City 10 years ago.

Wow, they've made a lot of progress. I was there just a week and a half ago, and they were just starting to put down the turf around the mound area. Everything else was dirt, and I was wondering if they were out of good working weather.

Yes, the mound is, too. I've been on a few fields like that now. It's weird at first but not a big deal.

Originally posted by LunchBox50:
Yes, the mound is, too. I've been on a few fields like that now. It's weird at first but not a big deal.
I didn't realize that this was a thing. I always assumed they kept dirt on the basepaths. Kind of interesting to see.

I understand the basepaths and the infield cutouts being turf, but I'm not particularly fond of a turf mound.

Originally posted by HerkyHopeful:
I didn't realize that this was a thing. I always assumed they kept dirt on the basepaths. Kind of interesting to see.
As did I......what is the reasoning for not having dirt basepaths? So as to not get dirt into turf? I imagine the ball plays differently bouncing off of turf than dirt.

Not only do you have less maintenance (actually a great deal less maintenance.) it will now allow them to practice anytime the temps allow you to be outside without worrying about the field at all. It's huge.

but mainly, the maintenance went from a ton every day you are on it to hardly anything. The mound is a lot of work as well. This certainly makes it more favorable for freshmen!

Originally posted by Alum-Ni:

As did I......what is the reasoning for not having dirt basepaths? So as to not get dirt into turf? I imagine the ball plays differently bouncing off of turf than dirt.
Different in the sense you're playing true hops rather than unnatural bounces created by an uneven surface (i.e. grass divots and uneven base paths). It certainly plays faster but the trade off is worth it. Also, as another poster noted it will sure save the freshmen a lot of work!

Originally posted by 2bagger22:
Originally posted by Alum-Ni:

Different in the sense you're playing true hops rather than unnatural bounces created by an uneven surface (i.e. grass divots and uneven base paths). It certainly plays faster but the trade off is worth it. Also, as another poster noted it will sure save the freshmen a lot of work!
Looks like Michigan is going the same route

1452373_10151788869756074_513388660_n.jpg

This post was edited on 12/12 3:27 PM by Alum-Ni

Offhand, I think Illinios and OSU have gone FieldTurf also. Even Texas has it despite no winter weather worries. For northern teams I think it's become a no-brainer; only question is do you install it on a practice field or your stadium.

I am in full support of the field turf and the benefits of, but the pitcher mound needs to be dirt.

Originally posted by Row55:
Offhand, I think Illinios and OSU have gone FieldTurf also. Even Texas has it despite no winter weather worries. For northern teams I think it's become a no-brainer; only question is do you install it on a practice field or your stadium.
Indiana installed it in their new stadium as did Minnesota when renovating Siebert Field. The only practice field most teams have is their respective indoor facility, which I'd imagine all have turf.

Here's the latest look put online today:

1475871_683640135002967_2049555531_n.jpg
If you look close, you can see my UCL from my elbow still laying next to the pitchers mound. You would think after 15 years someone would have picked it up by now.

I wonder what is the signifcance of the turf behind home plate being different shades of green (lighter on the first base side, darker on the third base side)? I noticed that on the Iowa field and thought, "Uh oh, looks like someone messed up and didn't put the correct rolls next to each other..." But, the Michigan field looks the exact same way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT