ADVERTISEMENT

baseball staff.

BRANDONJ8

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 23, 2010
Will any of ricks staff get looked at in the off season for head coaching jobs.

I seriously doubt it unless they go to the D2 or lower ranks. Neither of them appear to be ladder climbers based on their career paths thus far. Maybe just soldiers.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jeff Clement (volunteer assistant) isn't around too much longer. obviously he made good money as a big leaguer but I don't know if it was good enough to never have to work again.

It looks like he had a $480,000 1 year contract in 2013 and his contracts before that were in the mid to upper $300k's. Not sure what his minor league contracts were like or how much his signing bonuses were. Bottom line is, that isn't enough to be able to retire forever on most likely.

I seriously doubt it unless they go to the D2 or lower ranks. Neither of them appear to be ladder climbers based on their career paths thus far. Maybe just soldiers.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jeff Clement (volunteer assistant) isn't around too much longer. obviously he made good money as a big leaguer but I don't know if it was good enough to never have to work again.

It looks like he had a $480,000 1 year contract in 2013 and his contracts before that were in the mid to upper $300k's. Not sure what his minor league contracts were like or how much his signing bonuses were. Bottom line is, that isn't enough to be able to retire forever on most likely.
3.4 mill signing bonus

I'm still curious if Clement will be content to be the volunteer for a period of time. I certainly hope so. (I think)

However, from talking to Heller before about it, in the past, people have been surprised at the sheer time and commitment it takes to be a D1 assistant today. Even if you are a volunteer making no baseball money it's a great deal of work and time. So it would be difficult to hold another job at the same time.

While it would be great to think Clement will be content being involved and living off of his investments, it might not be realistic if he has higher aspirations or just wants to make SOME money.

But, maybe he just bides his time until someone moves on and he can slide into one of the full time slots.

I guess the other factor is, who knows if he is a poor, average, good or excellent coach? Sure, he was a good player but we all know that doesn't always translate. He has the family genes though.

Clement is surely interested in a full time assistant job. His past earnings may allow him to be selective for such a job, so maybe he'll be at Iowa a little longer.

Sorry, that I don't know this, but who is Jeff Clement? Saw one game at Banks Field this year and it was great!

Marshalltown legend. Holds the national high school record for home runs. Had a few years in the bigs. Is now an unpaid assistant for us.

Clement is great but his catchers are the weakest point of our defense. They struggle greatly from a receiving standpoint.
They sure appear overweight. Particularly the "#1" guy. He needs to lose 20lbs at least.

Thought I read they signed a really good catcher in class of 2015.

Dametri Evans is the catcher from California. They also have J.T. Sole from Cedar Rapids, I believe he red shirted this year.
i'd be very surprised if a 5'8 180 lb catcher from Iowa amounts to much offensively. Not trying to trash him but ...

Yeah, there's quite a bit of depth at catcher. Could be really hard to see any playing time for Sole.
guessing he is getting scholarship money too. With the ridiculously low scholarship level for D1 baseball, along with the horrible roster limitations, you cannot afford to aim too low or "miss" on a scholarship.

Have to wonder if there is some slight regret with maybe having had recruiting sights set a tad lower before the success of this season.

There's always the threat of a signee going in the draft too high and never setting foot on campus but you wonder if an even better recruiting class could have been had now that we have the benefit of hindsight.

With all that said, Heller has said they are done for 2015 and I believe they are done or mostly done for 2016.

Curious if the recruiting board has been "upgraded" in the last month or 2.....

I think someone said don't expect Jeff Clement to be back next season. He's got other jobs line up. Anyone hearing anything on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT