ADVERTISEMENT

Before the PTL: My Guesswork on the Newbies

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
I've been watching so much video on our new guys, everything I can find. I thought I'd give my real early thoughts just for fun. May 23rd, McCaffery's birthday. Happy birthday Coach!

Starting with our first commit last season, Brandon Hutton.

Brandon committed to Iowa the first week in March, 2014. He already had an offer from Wisconsin, Indiana was sniffing around and based on his play in the summer AAU which earned him a four star ranking on 247Sports, I suspect that had he not committed the offer list would have been impressive.

6'5" and right at 200 lbs, Hutton is an athletic leaper with good speed. I'm sure I'm not saying anything not already known to say in AAU ball he was guarding the best opponent whether they be a one or up to a four. And he is known as a committed defensive stopper, a heart that doesn't quit. A common football term for this kid as a recruit would have been "athlete". Where he will play for Iowa is about how he develops. There is no questioning the raw talent he was blessed with, or his work ethic. By the way, he is a good student as well.

The negative is more the surroundings he played in. I watched a De La Salle game, full game, not highlights. Brandon was introduced last in the starting lineup. They called him a guard. But they called the other four guys guards as well. Brandon was clearly the best post player on the team. That was last year, 2014/15 season. De La Salle played a lot of zone, with Hutton alternating between under the basket and top of the key. It was clear they needed more of him, about two or three more of him. But they put him where he could effect the game the most. Defensively it was like they'd put up a dam across part of a river.

I can see how a guy like Joe Henricksen, Chicago Sun Times sports reporter and all around Illinois Hoops guru had at one time listed Hutton as the sixth best player in the state (2015) but dropped him out of his top fifteen this past year. Evaluating one guy playing out of position on a team that seldom did much more than see their ball handlers either shoot or drive to the hoop? Good luck.

So, one is left looking at the athlete. And we've got one. To be quite honest I think this is a kid who could come in and impress at the four as a kind of Brandon Dawson type right off the bat. But his future is to continue to work on his ball handling, which I don't think has improved as much as reported, and his offense.

Redshirt? I could believe it. It might be hard though keeping that kind of energy off the court. IF Brandon redshirts I don't recommend letting it indicate some lack of ability. This kid is the pure, true definition of recruit, retain, develop. The kind of guy that wins games for teams, without touching the ball. It was a great win to land Brandon Hutton for the future of the program.

Last edited:
Also with Hutton you have a kid who WANTS to compete. He has said that. He has a strong desire to play defense and to do whatever his coach wants. I don't think you can place too much emphasis on the right attitude and he seems to have it.

Reactions: supahawk
Andrew "the Ambassador" Fleming. I don't think I've seen a recruit at Iowa talk up the Iowa program more than Mr. Fleming. Hence my nickname for him. But it goes beyond just what he says about the Hawkeyes, or his efforts to recruit other players to the Hawkeyes. I sneak a peak at twitter accounts and Fleming is one guy who always appreciates the fans, his teammates, I'm pretty sure he'd shake a ref's hand and really mean it. But despite the flaw of being nice to ref's....I like this kid.

6'5" and around 200lbs, he was one of (if not the) strongest players on his Oak Hill squad. And that included some big bodies. As to offers, he had quite a few, and early. Here is a sample:

Auburn, 4/10/2013
Nebraska, 6/18/2013
Vandy, 4/10/2013
Florida, 4/10/2013
Memphis, 4/29/2013
And Iowa, Fleming committed on 5/12/2014

So if that says anything it is that Fleming was a known commodity early, a desired one, and despite not having a high ranking some coaches were seeing something pretty desirable. And he took the additional step of moving out of his comfort zone at home in Tennessee to play for Oak Hill Academy his senior year! Now, the knock on Andrew (besides the silly lateral quickness concern which IS SILLY considering good defense is more heart and effort than anything) was that he was a poor to streaky three point shooter. Great range, but low percentage. As far as I can tell, and this is partly guesswork as Oak Hill did a terrible job of keep stats after Dec. 13th, 2014, anyway as far as I can tell Fleming started out horrible for his first five games at Oak Hill, but by his fifteenth game had raised his percentage to around 40% from three. And I think he maintained it.

I saw at least five games (television) throughout his time at Oak Hill and I thought his shot looked much improved. I'm not worried about that. Fleming started about half his games at Oak Hill and was the sixth man most of the other half. His counterpart/competition was Josh Reaves a Penn State commit who Rivals ranks #128 and ESPN calls the 72nd best player in the country overall. So, think what you will but his coach (30 years experience, Steve Smith) and what stats I can find seem to bear out that Fleming and Reaves were pretty equal.

I believe Fleming comes into Iowa the most game ready of our five freshmen. His defense does look like it needs a little work but I suspect a kid with his determination will cure that up quick. I have this feeling that if any of the new guys were to crack the starting rotation in 2015/16, it would be Fleming. Great passer, underestimated penetrator, and good ball handler with the right hand. His left hand is bad with the ball. Good leadership characteristics.

If I had to compare, not so much type for type for a role on the team. At minimum I'd place Fleming in the future role of a Jeff Moe type off the bench, or as high as a Matt Gatens role as a starter. Plus, he has a cute Mom. Too bad she's married.

Good posts Dan. Now, you got 4 more recruits to go...

What is interesting about each of our recruits is that all of them have at least one write up about them, or ranking, that puts them on a shelf. Hutton, for example, has a 4 star ranking by one service. Jones has Juco All-American accolades. Etcetera. There is something where someone thought very highly of each one of our recruits. That's awesome... Combine that with how Fran has an eye for talent, and it has me on the edge of my chair. I cannot wait to see these guys play! When does PTL start??

This group of guys will do some damage. It could be tough to redshirt any of them. But we almost need to. Otherwise their eligibility will be wasted. Plus it spreads out the class so we don't lose them all at once. Whoever gets the redshirt(s) should think of it as a privilege, in that we want them for another year. That, and the minutes that they will play will be higher for their career, instead if they had only played a few minutes a game their freshman year.

If the chemistry with our veterans mixes well with the newbies, look out. These guys could roll some very good teams. Which is good, as we will play a lot of highly-rated teams next year...

Ahmad Wagner. 6'7" and 215 one year ago. His offers included both Minnesota and Iowa on 5/3/2014. He had many Mid-Major offers and was getting interest from Stanford, West Virginia and Butler, among others. Ahmad committed without even visiting Iowa on 8/10/2014. Another Athlete with a very high upside, Wagner played in the EYBL for All Ohio Red and for two years was on teams with scorers such as D'Sean Tate, Esa Ahmed...just, many scorers.

In his case, he was often used as the primary defender in the post, including a game where he guarded Marquette commit, five star, Henry Ellensen. Reportedly Wagner did as well as anyone defending the big post player.

I should note, that Wagner and Jones are the two newbies I've seen the least. Much of what I'm mentioning comes from various media I've read. I've included an article from before Wagner committed.

http://go4report.com/ahmad-wagner-talks-iowa-minnesota-and-toledo/

From the little I have seen. I'd compare Ahmad to Nebraska commit Ed Morrow, both highly mobile an physical undersized fours. Neither will stun anyone with an outside shot. That's a comparison, not saying he's coming in to Iowa at the same level as Morrow. I'm saying the potential to be that kind of player is already there. Another comparison which others have made is Duez Henderson.

I saw at least one Ohio Prep Report that listed Wagner as a top ten player in Ohio. We certainly all know about his football accomplishments last fall.

Wagner could be a key piece to Iowa's success in 2015/16 as we're looking for guys who can play minutes in the paint. That being the case, here's hoping Ahmad comes in ready to surprise with the kind of freshman year Basabe had. He has played high level basketball in AAU and for Huber Heights.

This is great stuff. Very thoughtful analysis Dan. As with any team, chemistry and leadership will be the difference between good and great. Hopefully with so many new people fighting for playing time early they respect and like each other as human beings. If they do, this group will be incredible when they are juniors and seniors under Fran's tutaledge. A ton of potential out of every guy in this class. Patience, work ethic, and attitude will be the key.

They all seem to have work ethic in common. We will find out about the other two.

Read and watch ;)

http://ballislife.com/isaiah-moss/

There is something about a kid who goes from around five points a game as a junior, as a bench player, as an afterthought, that by the late spring, summer tournaments and AAU ball is turning heads like an insane Chiropractor! Snap, Crack, Pop! A good crossover is called an ankle breaker. Moss turned in a transformation that could be called a Lookie-Loo neck breaker. But here's my favorite part, guess which high major coach had been recruiting Isaiah even BEFORE he busted out? McCaffery, one of the first guys to really be on him...or maybe it was an assistant, I get good performance confused when it is a team effort like we get at Iowa. Suffice to sway somebody on the staff spotted the kid and McCaffery was talking to him early.

Moss is listed by ESPN as 6'5" 175, I've seen 6'6" on other sites. They, like the rest, call him a wing. Unlike the rest they give him the higher ranking, a four star. I have no idea about stars and such but Moss is a two as well as a three. If one watched the video linked, go back and watch but ignore the ball going into the hoop...look at the ball handling and what little passing is shown. The kid can play guard. Potentially down the road point guard if we had to, but we won't have to.

I bring this up because Eric Bossi stated after Moss committed on 11/2/2014 that if Isaiah could play guard his unranked 3 star rating could improve. Yet Moss still ended up an unranked three star. Miss, Mr. Bossi, you missed. It's ok though, you have to rate a lot of kids. And no extra star ever earned a kid any points in a basketball game. I'm not life ruined by the under-ranking, I'm not hurt. Just a little, disappointed.

But the good news is Iowa will have another "Surprise! This kid is good!", type recruit and it just makes McCaffery look that much smarter. Which he is, remember he got in early on Moss.

So what are we getting? Moss can hit the three, pass, handle, drive. He has the rare hops that make a kid look like he's kind of floating. And he is another of those team players as proven his last season with Simeon when he shared the ball with other players ranked higher than him, Morrow, Williams and even the younger kid Norvell. You know what that is, that's as much coaches choice as it is anything. "This is what we're running. That guy underneath, we get him the ball", and so on.

When there were no such rules, once Moss decided to show what he could do, the result was last summer. We've got a good one here. Likely the most potential of any of our new guys. I'd give him more a chance to earn starter minutes than Fleming if it weren't for Isaiah' history of working his way into a role.

I wish in a way that Hutton (who tried Simeon and passed) and Moss could have traded schools their last year. I suspect Moss would have been a 22-25 points a game scorer, and Hutton would have played the wing and his defense and hustle would have made a bigger difference. But, why let other coaches see what McCaffery saw in these guys.

I know I haven't talked much about what Moss can do on the court. I watched three Simeon games this year, Moss is a High Division One talent at either wing that will defend well as he learns, runs the court as good as one could want, as mentioned has all the athletic attributes without question, and willingly plays the role asked of him.

Because of his rather late explosion, his best offers, including Iowa State, came late. That's important to note. As mentioned twice, McCaffery was on Moss early, but we didn't offer until 10/2014. Keep that in mind when we get to the next player.

Reactions: paulhawk
Read and watch ;)

http://ballislife.com/isaiah-moss/

There is something about a kid who goes from around five points a game as a junior, as a bench player, as an afterthought, that by the late spring, summer tournaments and AAU ball is turning heads like an insane Chiropractor! Snap, Crack, Pop! A good crossover is called an ankle breaker. Moss turned in a transformation that could be called a Lookie-Loo neck breaker. But here's my favorite part, guess which high major coach had been recruiting Isaiah even BEFORE he busted out? McCaffery, one of the first guys to really be on him...or maybe it was an assistant, I get good performance confused when it is a team effort like we get at Iowa. Suffice to sway somebody on the staff spotted the kid and McCaffery was talking to him early.

Moss is listed by ESPN as 6'5" 175, I've seen 6'6" on other sites. They, like the rest, call him a wing. Unlike the rest they give him the higher ranking, a four star. I have no idea about stars and such but Moss is a two as well as a three. If one watched the video linked, go back and watch but ignore the ball going into the hoop...look at the ball handling and what little passing is shown. The kid can play guard. Potentially down the road point guard if we had to, but we won't have to.

Great write ups Dan. Hawks are getting a variety of skills, just not much variety in size.

I bring this up because Eric Bossi stated after Moss committed on 11/2/2014 that if Isaiah could play guard his unranked 3 star rating could improve. Yet Moss still ended up an unranked three star. Miss, Mr. Bossi, you missed. It's ok though, you have to rate a lot of kids. And no extra star ever earned a kid any points in a basketball game. I'm not life ruined by the under-ranking, I'm not hurt. Just a little, disappointed.

But the good news is Iowa will have another "Surprise! This kid is good!", type recruit and it just makes McCaffery look that much smarter. Which he is, remember he got in early on Moss.

So what are we getting? Moss can hit the three, pass, handle, drive. He has the rare hops that make a kid look like he's kind of floating. And he is another of those team players as proven his last season with Simeon when he shared the ball with other players ranked higher than him, Morrow, Williams and even the younger kid Norvell. You know what that is, that's as much coaches choice as it is anything. "This is what we're running. That guy underneath, we get him the ball", and so on.

When there were no such rules, once Moss decided to show what he could do, the result was last summer. We've got a good one here. Likely the most potential of any of our new guys. I'd give him more a chance to earn starter minutes than Fleming if it weren't for Isaiah' history of working his way into a role.

I wish in a way that Hutton (who tried Simeon and passed) and Moss could have traded schools their last year. I suspect Moss would have been a 22-25 points a game scorer, and Hutton would have played the wing and his defense and hustle would have made a bigger difference. But, why let other coaches see what McCaffery saw in these guys.

I know I haven't talked much about what Moss can do on the court. I watched three Simeon games this year, Moss is a High Division One talent at either wing that will defend well as he learns, runs the court as good as one could want, as mentioned has all the athletic attributes without question, and willingly plays the role asked of him.

Because of his rather late explosion, his best offers, including Iowa State, came late. That's important to note. As mentioned twice, McCaffery was on Moss early, but we didn't offer until 10/2014. Keep that in mind when we get to the next player.

Alright........the guy I've been waiting to brag about in an Iowa Uniform. (Him in the uniform, me bragging) Everything and more that you wanted to know about Christian Williams!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=67C22750BF652739382767C22750BF6527393827

Did you pay attention? Carries a green frog and puts a Snickers wrapper in his left sock for luck! My kind of player! That's the stuff that get's written about after he stuns the world with his mad skills in college and beyond. And, will he stun the world?

That's some good talent. We'll have to keep in mind he played for a small school (St. Teresa) and thus the victims, I mean, competition, might not have been all that. While I'm on the bad, like the lower competition, more negative. Iowa recruited Williams for a very long time, much like Isaiah Moss. Williams was highly thought of and then last summer something happened. His Mom moved from Decatur to Springfield, yet Christian wanted to stay in Decatur. I'm not getting all "As the World Turns" about this, but I don't know how that effected his AAU ball in the summer of 2014. He played for the Illinois Irish out of Peoria and here's a clip against All Ohio Red:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=christian williams illinois irish all ohio red&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=christian williams illinois irish all ohio red&sc=0-34&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=A81B4B2D8FE026F364FBA81B4B2D8FE026F364FB

So what happened? For some reason his Mom wouldn't sign off on him playing in Decatur and due to transfer rules he had to sit out half the season. While he did, he acted like an assistant and helped coach younger players, and stayed active with the team. Meanwhile McCaffery, who was down to one scholarship and wanted a big asked Williams to be patient before accepting a scholarship, and when Trey Dickerson announced he was transferring Christian was offered and accepted. Just in time as St. Louis had just offered and Illinois and Minnesota were looking at him.

Does this make him a "plan B" recruit? I suppose technically as offers went out to the other 2015 guys before him.

Now back to the positive. I think it was more a matter that Iowa has been watching Christian all along as a possible point guard, and that wasn't a position of need if Dickerson worked out. If one watches the second video, notice the nice cross over and how low to the ground Christian dribbles. Not bad for a 6'6" kid. Helps that is wingspan is over 7'. Defensively, Christian could be a nightmare against opponents. His AAU coach predicts he'll be a point guard in college, others have as well.

Something about Williams led Joe Henricksen to stick with him and label him the tenth best player in Illinois in the 2015 class. Moss was ninth on that list. Let's play "Degree of Separation" here. If Henricksen knows Illinois hoops, if Moss and Williams were ranked that near each other, if we believe Moss will be special we must than believe Williams is special. I think he is!

He will be caught in a barrel of other fish with Gesell and Clemmons ahead of him at point and a basket of talent fighting for time at the two, but if we're patent, down the road I think we've got us a unique combo guard in the Devyn Marble mold and even ahead of Marble at this stage. A redshirt? We'll see, he'll be fighting for time at the two as well.

That's the end of the incoming frosh. I'm going to do what I can with Jones, and the our semi-newbies Uhl, Ellingson, Baer together, and finally my thoughts on Iowa recruiting in general.

Will all five of our frosh work out? They could. Here's the way I see it. Patrick Ingram and Kyle Meyer? Had they put the work in they had the talent to play some ball. McCaffery will not sign a kid that can't play for him. But a big part of the recruit, retain, develop comes from what a player wants to become. It isn't high school ball anymore. If these five guys put the work in, and just as importantly BUY IN to playing their roles and playing defense, we'll have some very good players to enjoy for the next four years. It's up to them, they've got the raw talent.

Last edited:
Thanks, DanL53. The prospect of having bigger and athletic guards (like Moss and Williams) who could possibly man the point some this next year and into the future, gives Fran some recruiting options. While I am more in favor of Tony Carr for the 2016 at PG over Simpson and definitely over Charlie Moore, Fran could hold off on taking a PG this year and go for bigs like Painter, Cook and Seth Towns as Cordell's health status is still up in the air. Iowa could land a PG in the 2017 class.

I have been following the St. Louis Eagles 17u AAU club with Jayson Tatum, Tyler Cook and two 2017 recruiting prospects 6'9"C/F Jeremiah Tilmon (top 20 material) and 6'3" CG Jordan Goodwin. I saw Goodwin play lights out against Marcus LoVett in the Illinois 3A state semifinals and nearly lead his team to a state tile victory over Nick Rakocevic's St. Joseph's club. Goodwin is maturing into a great player and he is gaining toughness playing against top 2016 players on the AAU circuit for one of the top AAU clubs this year. St. Louis is likely to compete for the Peach Jam title this year. They are very tough. Cook is really coming into his own with his low post game. Goodwin could play the PG for his AAU club but Jordan Barnes is their main ball handler.

Last edited:
Alright........the guy I've been waiting to brag about in an Iowa Uniform. (Him in the uniform, me bragging) Everything and more that you wanted to know about Christian Williams!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=67C22750BF652739382767C22750BF6527393827

Did you pay attention? Carries a green frog and puts a Snickers wrapper in his left sock for luck! My kind of player! That's the stuff that get's written about after he stuns the world with his mad skills in college and beyond. And, will he stun the world?

That's some good talent. We'll have to keep in mind he played for a small school (St. Teresa) and thus the victims, I mean, competition, might not have been all that. While I'm on the bad, like the lower competition, more negative. Iowa recruited Williams for a very long time, much like Isaiah Moss. Williams was highly thought of and then last summer something happened. His Mom moved from Decatur to Springfield, yet Christian wanted to stay in Decatur. I'm not getting all "As the World Turns" about this, but I don't know how that effected his AAU ball in the summer of 2014. He played for the Illinois Irish out of Peoria and here's a clip against All Ohio Red:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=christian williams illinois irish all ohio red&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=christian williams illinois irish all ohio red&sc=0-34&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=A81B4B2D8FE026F364FBA81B4B2D8FE026F364FB

So what happened? For some reason his Mom wouldn't sign off on him playing in Decatur and due to transfer rules he had to sit out half the season. While he did, he acted like an assistant and helped coach younger players, and stayed active with the team. Meanwhile McCaffery, who was down to one scholarship and wanted a big asked Williams to be patient before accepting a scholarship, and when Trey Dickerson announced he was transferring Christian was offered and accepted. Just in time as St. Louis had just offered and Illinois and Minnesota were looking at him.

Does this make him a "plan B" recruit? I suppose technically as offers went out to the other 2015 guys before him.

Now back to the positive. I think it was more a matter that Iowa has been watching Christian all along as a possible point guard, and that wasn't a position of need if Dickerson worked out. If one watches the second video, notice the nice cross over and how low to the ground Christian dribbles. Not bad for a 6'6" kid. Helps that is wingspan is over 7'. Defensively, Christian could be a nightmare against opponents. His AAU coach predicts he'll be a point guard in college, others have as well.

Something about Williams led Joe Henricksen to stick with him and label him the tenth best player in Illinois in the 2015 class. Moss was ninth on that list. Let's play "Degree of Separation" here. If Henricksen knows Illinois hoops, if Moss and Williams were ranked that near each other, if we believe Moss will be special we must than believe Williams is special. I think he is!

He will be caught in a barrel of other fish with Gesell and Clemmons ahead of him at point and a basket of talent fighting for time at the two, but if we're patent, down the road I think we've got us a unique combo guard in the Devyn Marble mold and even ahead of Marble at this stage. A redshirt? We'll see, he'll be fighting for time at the two as well.

That's the end of the incoming frosh. I'm going to do what I can with Jones, and the our semi-newbies Uhl, Ellingson, Baer together, and finally my thoughts on Iowa recruiting in general.

Will all five of our frosh work out? They could. Here's the way I see it. Patrick Ingram and Kyle Meyer? Had they put the work in they had the talent to play some ball. McCaffery will not sign a kid that can't play for him. But a big part of the recruit, retain, develop comes from what a player wants to become. It isn't high school ball anymore. If these five guys put the work in, and just as importantly BUY IN to playing their roles and playing defense, we'll have some very good players to enjoy for the next four years. It's up to them, they've got the raw talent.

I thoroughly enjoyed this analysis, Dan. Gets me revved up for next season. Thx

Nice reviews Dan.

I can definitely see why some are comparing Williams' style of play to Devyn Marble. Really nice to have a versatile 6ft6 athlete who can play PG - that adds a dimension that can give defenders fits.

Hutton is like the "5th Beatle", the forgotten or under appreciated member of a certain super group. Hutton won't be playing lead guitar at Iowa but he might end up MVP. Similar to what the drummer is to a music group, a lot of what Brandon will do on the court is the essential backbone of a successful team -rebounding on both ends, defending / shutting down an opponent, creating turnovers, and baskets when needed.

it will be really interesting to see how this group of recruits plays together as a team in 2-3 years. All 5 have strong personal qualities and a team oriented outlook.

Thanks everybody for the nice replies. I love putting my Black and Gold glasses on and talking about newbies. I've been watching Iowa basketball for a long time, and I promise that though I take the positive road, I also know that no road is without some hills to climb. Much of what our guys accomplish is not yet written, not destiny or predetermined, but up to them from here on out. A little spoiler about my upcoming last post on the subject, recruiting in general. McCaffery is the kind of coach, kind of person, that seems like he could walk into a candy store and come out with the best stuff. If he were a stock broker, he'd be good at it. I would NOT sit down and play poker against him, he'd win, and I'm good at poker. I'm not going to go negative on a single McCaffery recruit because he doesn't recruit bad players. I'm still convinced that if Trey Dickerson had bought into the Iowa system he'd have seen the court.

But there in is the problem. All our guys, just like anywhere, are going to have to put in their part of the investment. And you can't always tell if a high school kid will understand that. I hope they do, not just to watch Iowa win games, but because a big part of the fun of being an Iowa fan is watching an under-appreciated, talented kid make the most of his chance. And most importantly, to our young Hawkeyes, success is on the door in front of you. Walk in and do what it takes to come out with the most you can carry. All of us Hawkeye fans are urging you on!

Ok...Dale Jones coming next. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks everybody for the nice replies. I love putting my Black and Gold glasses on and talking about newbies. I've been watching Iowa basketball for a long time, and I promise that though I take the positive road, I also know that no road is without some hills to climb. Much of what our guys accomplish is not yet written, not destiny or predetermined, but up to them from here on out. A little spoiler about my upcoming last post on the subject, recruiting in general. McCaffery is the kind of coach, kind of person, that seems like he could walk into a candy store and come out with the best stuff. If he were a stock broker, he'd be good at it. I would NOT sit down and play poker against him, he'd win, and I'm good at poker. I'm not going to go negative on a single McCaffery recruit because he doesn't recruit bad players. I'm still convinced that if Trey Dickerson had bought into the Iowa system he'd have seen the court.

But there in is the problem. All our guys, just like anywhere, are going to have to put in their part of the investment. And you can't always tell if a high school kid will understand that. I hope they do, not just to watch Iowa win games, but because a big part of the fun of being an Iowa fan is watching an under-appreciated, talented kid make the most of his chance. And most importantly, to our young Hawkeyes, success is on the door in front of you. Walk in and do what it takes to come out with the most you can carry. All of us Hawkeye fans are urging you on!

Ok...Dale Jones coming next. Thanks again everyone!

Just great thoughts and content here Dan. Very well done and I think you know where I stand with your info, a trusted source of information for me for sure. Thank you and really looking forward to hearing what you put together for Dale Jones....

Just a couple of other vid nuggets that I've seen here recently on Isaiah and Christian that I wanted to share....more recent vids on these two great talents as Dan already pointed out but I think these vids will get or should get folks even more excited about these players.

Moss looks solid 6'6"/6'7" in his vid. Just has skills to do it all on both ends of the floor. Dunks with ease but can get to the rim in many spectacular ways. And what a nice 3 shot from about the same deep spot on the floor falling into the bench..wow. And let me say, I hope this vid is OK to post the link...it was free to me to see so I thought it would be OK to share.

Isiah - http://georgiatech.scout.com/player/191320-isaiah-moss/videos/1501909

Also, for Christian....love this vid and from this years Illinois State BB tourney. Check out at about the 1:38 mark. There are two full length of the court drives that when I saw this live on TV impressed me the most about Christian and what level of skill and game he will bring to the HAWKS......he's got great handles and can get to the rim in many spectacular ways too.

Both of these players are special talents and I'm really looking forward to seeing them play in PTL.

Christian -

Reactions: DanL53
Nice little bit on Dale Jones post knee injury:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tjc dale jones&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=tjc dale jones&sc=0-9&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=AB48EAD33759AB22AAEDAB48EAD33759AB22AAED

While Iowa was recruiting Mike Gesell and Adam Woodbury, a 6'5"/6'6" power forward from Waterloo was getting looks but no offers. He ended up playing for Mike Marquis who has been coaching at Tyler JC for around fourteen years. Marquis has Iowa ties, grew up in Newton and coached at Marshalltown and Indian Hills. He has sent several players to Iowa over the years. I'm getting into this as later Marquis involvement in the recruitment of Jones will come up.

Jones grew to a solid 6'8" and 220 lbs over the last three years. Last season he made, I believe, 99 of his three point attempts, at an impressive 45%+. Those numbers would put him at the top of both the percentage made, and total threes made, in the Big Ten in 2014/15! To borrow from "Hoosiers", Big Ten basketball courts are the same size, and the baskets are the same heights, as Jones was used to in Juco.

I know the least about him of any of our newbies and much of the rest is going to be very anecdotal. So please take this for what it is worth as I play a bit of detective.

The story starts with one Ikenna Okwarabizie. Now he, I've watched quite a few games from his time at Sioux City East. I like the guy. A big 6'9"/6'10", 250 lb Center, originally from Nigeria. Raw as a steak still walking around, but a gifted athlete. Personally, I believe he'd be coming off a redshirt season at Iowa and pegged to be our backup to Woody if not for the NCAA Clearinghouse. They did him no favors by deciding not to clear him for a four year scholarship until late September in 2014! And he was already playing at Tyler JC by then.

But McCaffery and staff still held interest and visited Tyler JC, as I understand it they even offered Iyke, but by then Coach Marquis was directing his big center to go through the year and the recruiting process to see what would develop. As that happened, Iowa also began to take interest in Jones. Personally? Measuring our need for a big this season, considering Iykes lack of experience (seriously, he picks up fouls like he'd shot them with a punt gun. Though athletic he is still much like Mike Tyson trying out for synchronized swimming), and thinking about what a 6'8" stretch four could bring, I think the right decision was made.

As to a question I've seen brought up about offers. As I've read various things about Jones, and Iyke, Coach Marquis is a very hands on, protective mentor of his guys. I get the idea he's not so much a handler as he is a body guard. When Iowa backed off Okwarabizie in favor of Jones, it sounds like Dale's recruitment by other schools was put on hold during the season. When Iowa offered, Jone's would have broken rules laid out for him by Marquis if he had accepted without first visiting, and then returning to Tyler JC to talk with his Coach. According to Marquis, other schools had expressed interest. It sounds to me like there were options in the wings. But that's the way it works when you are a Tyler JC Apache playing for Coach Marquis. He's going to assist you and protect your interests during recruitment.

Dale Jones is ranked a two star by many services. All this means is he was not likely evaluated. This is common, and to let it sway an opinion would be a mistake. I need, we need, to get a look at this player for ourselves. One example. Do we think Coach Beilein at Michigan does a decent job recruiting? He is one player from roster for 2016/17 already! (Unless someone leaves early after 2015/16) The last player from the 2016 class he gained a commitment from, so far? Austin Davis, a two star ranked player (not yet evaluated). Beilein isn't going to sit around waiting for someone to tell him how good a kid can be. And neither should Coach McCaffery. The Big Ten is full of two star guys that are better than that. Especially Juco types.

Pulling a guess out of my rear? We wouldn't take a player with two years left and SLIGHTLY smaller than we could really use unless there is a reason. And as McCaffery has said, we went with talent. I suspect Jones is going to have a large role the next two seasons. Hits threes, posts up, rebounds, and can defend the four.

Last edited:
Just great thoughts and content here Dan. Very well done and I think you know where I stand with your info, a trusted source of information for me for sure. Thank you and really looking forward to hearing what you put together for Dale Jones....

Just a couple of other vid nuggets that I've seen here recently on Isaiah and Christian that I wanted to share....more recent vids on these two great talents as Dan already pointed out but I think these vids will get or should get folks even more excited about these players.

Moss looks solid 6'6"/6'7" in his vid. Just has skills to do it all on both ends of the floor. Dunks with ease but can get to the rim in many spectacular ways. And what a nice 3 shot from about the same deep spot on the floor falling into the bench..wow. And let me say, I hope this vid is OK to post the link...it was free to me to see so I thought it would be OK to share.

Also, for Christian....love this vid and from this years Illinois State BB tourney. Check out at about the 1:38 mark. There are two full length of the court drives that when I saw this live on TV impressed me the most about Christian and what level of skill and game he will bring to the HAWKS......he's got great handles and can get to the rim in many spectacular ways too.

Both of these players are special talents and I'm really looking forward to seeing them play in PTL.

Christian -

Hey Dan and others.... I believe you already shared this vid on Christian. I didn't see that and could have saved me some time. Oh well....here it is again. Great vid to watch again.

Last edited:

Christian -

Williams looks like a more athletic Devyn Marble. This class is going to be special if they will be patient and wait for their turn.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tjc dale jones&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=tjc dale jones&sc=0-9&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=AB48EAD33759AB22AAEDAB48EAD33759AB22AAED

While Iowa was recruiting Mike Gesell and Adam Woodbury, a 6'5"/6'6" power forward from Waterloo was getting looks but no offers. He ended up playing for Mike Marquis who has been coaching at Tyler JC for around fourteen years. Marquis has Iowa ties, grew up in Newton and coached at Marshalltown and Indian Hills. He has sent several players to Iowa over the years. I'm getting into this as later Marquis involvement in the recruitment of Jones will come up.

Jones grew to a solid 6'8" and 220 lbs over the last three years. Last season he made, I believe, 99 of his three point attempts, at an impressive 45%+. Those numbers would put him at the top of both the percentage made, and total threes made, in the Big Ten in 2014/15! To borrow from "Hoosiers", Big Ten basketball courts are the same size, and the baskets are the same heights, as Jones was used to in Juco.

I know the least about him of any of our newbies and much of the rest is going to be very anecdotal. So please take this for what it is worth as I play a bit of detective.

The story starts with one Ikenna Okwarabizie. Now he, I've watched quite a few games from his time at Sioux City East. I like the guy. A big 6'9"/6'10", 250 lb Center, originally from Nigeria. Raw as a steak still walking around, but a gifted athlete. Personally, I believe he'd be coming off a redshirt season at Iowa and pegged to be our backup to Woody if not for the NCAA Clearinghouse. They did him no favors by deciding not to clear him for a four year scholarship until late September in 2014! And he was already playing at Tyler JC by then.

But McCaffery and staff still held interest and visited Tyler JC, as I understand it they even offered Iyke, but by then Coach Marquis was directing his big center to go through the year and the recruiting process to see what would develop. As that happened, Iowa also began to take interest in Jones. Personally? Measuring our need for a big this season, considering Iykes lack of experience (seriously, he picks up fouls like he'd shot them with a punt gun. Though athletic he is still much like Mike Tyson trying out for synchronized swimming), and thinking about what a 6'8" stretch four could bring, I think the right decision was made.

As to a question I've seen brought up about offers. As I've read various things about Jones, and Iyke, Coach Marquis is a very hands on, protective mentor of his guys. I get the idea he's not so much a handler as he is a body guard. When Iowa backed off Okwarabizie in favor of Jones, it sounds like Dale's recruitment by other schools was put on hold during the season. When Iowa offered, Jone's would have broken rules laid out for him by Marquis if he had accepted without first visiting, and then returning to Tyler JC to talk with his Coach. According to Marquis, other schools had expressed interest. It sounds to me like there were options in the wings. But that's the way it works when you are a Tyler JC Apache playing for Coach Marquis. He's going to assist you and protect your interests during recruitment.

Dale Jones is ranked a two star by many services. All this means is he was not likely evaluated. This is common, and to let it sway an opinion would be a mistake. I need, we need, to get a look at this player for ourselves. One example. Do we think Coach Beilein at Michigan does a decent job recruiting? He is one player from roster for 2016/17 already! (Unless someone leaves early after 2015/16) The last player from the 2016 class he gained a commitment from, so far? Austin Davis, a two star ranked player (not yet evaluated). Beilein isn't going to sit around waiting for someone to tell him how good a kid can be. And neither should Coach McCaffery. The Big Ten is full of two star guys that are better than that. Especially Juco types.

Pulling a guess out of my rear? We wouldn't take a player with two years left and SLIGHTLY smaller than we could really use unless there is a reason. And as McCaffery has said, we went with talent. I suspect Jones is going to have a large role the next two seasons. Hits threes, posts up, rebounds, and can defend the four.
Dan: it certainly looks like your medication regimen is spot on. An ideal mix allowing the clarity of your insane genius to come through in a controlled form of hypergraphia.

Well done, my friend, well done!!

Dan, we should probably be paying to read your posts, but I'm not going to campaign ( or offer ) for that. I really enjoyed your observations. I just wish that I could get a look at the team now instead of having to wait until November. Factor in that the rest of the B1G is going to be even better than last season and I understand that Iowa could be just as good as last year with significantly lower results. Still, I enjoy watching the teams that McCaffery has put together. Iowa basketball is fun to watch again!

Enjoy reading your thoughts, Dan. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. From what I am hearing, we all might be pretty excited when we see Dale Jones on the court for the Hawkeyes!

Enjoy reading your thoughts, Dan. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. From what I am hearing, we all might be pretty excited when we see Dale Jones on the court for the Hawkeyes!

Thanks Dan for the final piece and the clip on DJ. That was great and I have not seen that yet. Per hoop above, he looks much thicker and has some muscle to him more than I thought. Much more mature and looks the part already to be BIG ready to go......I hope so.

The "sort of" newbies. I'm going to cheat a bit:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/baer-the-8th-spaghetti-noodle.12105/

That's a link to 1BigGalloot's thread on Baer. His opening post can't be improved upon. The only thing I'd add at all is the precaution that Baer should remain considered a surprise if he earns a scholarship at season's end. No doubt he is a talented walkon, but to earn a scholly he has some good recruits to beat out for time. I'm just going to enjoy knowing we've got a solid practice player this year and any more will be very welcome.

That leaves Dom Uhl and Brady Ellingson.

I'm including Uhl as he played just ten mpg and in my opinion we aint seen nothin' yet. Uhl's ball handing is simply fantastic for someone his height, 6'8" (I thought he'd measured 6'9") and with his speed and hops there is only one word I can use for him. Slasher. Regardless of whether Uhl plays the wing or a stretch four, if he can work that good looking outside shot just a bit more and get results up to the mid-thirty percent range? I'm not going to say the guys that come to mind that he reminds me of, but they all played basketball for a very long time.

Let's hope he's been taking a lot of shots. Because that is the key to draw a defender a step closer so Dom can strike. As to the style of play, an up tempo running offense is perfect for him.

Something I've been waiting to bring up, ESPN had Uhl scored at 73. Every single freshman we have coming in is scored higher, from 78's to an 80. Why so low for Uhl? He wasn't a featured part of the offense for Point Pleasant Beach High School, in fact I think he scored around ten ppg. It also hurt that being from Germany he wasn't around so long as to be seen by many scouts. But, none of that should matter too much now as we've had a year to see the potential. And he has had that all important first year to develop it.

I think Dom's defense was solid his first season. He has quick hops and gets under the basket well for offensive rebounds. In a couple years folks will be saying, "We should have redshirted him!" :D

Just repeating myself but at the start of practice and even into the exhibition game I suspect McCaffery will start his four seniors and Jok. If Uhl hits his threes, he'll be the first to take a spot, wing forward. And when asked to turn it lose more than his first year? Watch him break down defenses! Remember a couple plays this past season where White was bringing the ball up and caught defenses napping? The long drive right to the basket and the slams? Uhl can do that and will sometimes even when the defense is awake! And he's got the vertical to take the role White had as our designated sneak behind the defense for a lob guy.

And finally, Brady Ellingson. What little we saw of Brady, we saw while he was gimping around on a bum leg. 6'3", about 175. Brady brings another shooter to the lineup. (And I know, now and then the cry of "Ogelsby?!?!?" echoes across Hawkeye Report like war drums in the distance and we're all supposed to cringe and wonder if doom is just around the corner.) I've got good news, this kids name is Brady Ellingson, different guy entirely. If we're going to pretend, why not pretend he's another Kent MacCausland?

We don't know! I do think it is fair to say that LIKELY Brady will not be a starter, his size and speed are not optimal for shooting guard in the Big Ten. But if we run a deep lineup, and McCaffery likes deep lineups, I think Brady could be the kind of ten minutes a game hustle guy that always seems to stick a three.

So we come to the end of my guesswork. I look at the positives and paint me Black and Gold I don't care...it's fun to hope for the best. We've got a very interesting year ahead of us with all the new talent. And isn't it lucky we've got five returning upperclassmen who all contributed to our 12-6 Big Ten season! By my best intuition, Gesell, Clemmons, Jok, Uthoff and Woody will account for about 125/130 minutes of game time. We're looking for some guys to take the remaining 70/75 minutes. From Dom Uhl who committed on 10/11/13 to Dale Jones our newest guy, 4/20/2015. Nine guys all competing for minutes. Starters pressed to earn their minutes. A talented, deep and young bench.

Screw the pundits, trust McCaffery, trust the talent. Recruit, retain, develop and even in a tough, very difficult season, we'll see a good showing by our Hawkeyes.

And yes, the PTL will have to be the Methadone treatment for the Heroine like addiction McCaffery has caused in us to see our Hawkeyes on the court! I've got the shakes right now, got 'em bad.

Last post. Dan's Ten Commandments of successful recruiting at the University of Iowa.

1. Own the state. We already face a tough obstacle as we've far fewer high school players to watch grow up as among the best in the nation. We can't afford to let them get away. Our last top fifty recruit? Woody. Top players go to the elites and the vast majority of the top players that chose otherwise do so to play close to home.

2. We can't afford to waste talent. This doesn't get brought up much, but RETAIN the guys we get that can compete. We've got to get their best years out of them and that means keeping them around. Look at some of our Big Ten opponents and they've got transfer issues, some of their own making, that would kill us.

3. Be unique. If we're going to stand out among the AAU coaches and high school coaches and other sources that can point kids our way, we've got to earn their attention. The best way to do that is have a program that stands above others in some important manner. I think Margaret McCaffery's Desserts are a good example! AS a symbol! We're getting a reputation where Iowa is much like a family, it's been said by recruits time and again.

4. Be creative. Uhl, Olaseni, probably Jones I'm just guessing. If we can't beat the Michigan's and Indiana's and many of the rest in a straight up fight for the most star ranked players, than fight dirty! Get in the cracks where other coaches don't go. This, I think, is one of McCaffery's best weapons. And we tend to give him all the credit but look at the experience of his staff. We got some good scouting going on at Iowa.

5. System, adjust, system again. Know what we want to run, and sign guys that can fill multiple rolls. We've got thirteen scholarships and this way of the eight or nine that must be ready to play, we can run what we like with just a little tweaking to get the best results.

6. Be picky. I know that when the talent pool is smaller it may seem important to get caught up in the five top 100 ranked guys that are even thinking about us. But the heart and soul of success at Iowa is the heart and soul of the players. Let the other guys take chances on oddball personas, divas, and delinquents. We must rely so much on team ball that we can't afford a guy who doesn't know what it means.

7. Go into the Big markets like Chicago and slug Kentucky in the face over a Ulis. So we lose the fight but what happens? A year later we've got three Illinois recruits! It doesn't hurt to lose a battle, it's a long war. We got us a foothold on the Lake Michigan shore now, don't we. :) Who cares if we miss on some!?!? McCaffery himself has said "You recruit 150 guys to sign three." That's not just him.

8. Don't get in a hurry. This hurts a bit a Jacobson at UNI and now Otzelberger at Iowa State (I'm convinced of it.) like to pull the offer card a little early. And UNI for sure has plucked a couple guys we might have offered. But look at this Ryan Kriener kid. He's got his UNI offer already, and we may decide we want him. But sometimes it's better to take a pitch and look for a better one. This is all about "Hindsight is the ugly cousin of insight!" We won't be right all the time, but being right most of the time is important. The reverse by the way is not being afraid to offer first when called for.

9. Recruit for seniors. What I mean by this is the recruit, retain, develop is to ultimately have four year guys that are by now among the best in the league. We don't need to have the best 18/19 year old kids if we have the best 21/22 year old men.

10. Win. Because nothing a coach can do beats sticking NCAA invites, deep tourney runs, players making the pros. And the good news is, we're progressing! We're doing those things.

Last edited:
These player write-ups have me pumped for summer PTL reports.

In the history of Iowa basketball, has there ever been this much new talent infused into the program all at once?

You have the new freshman class - Hutton, Fleming, Moss, Wagner, and Williams. Include JUCO transfer Dale Jones. Now add rFR Baer and Brady Ellingson (basically a newcomer with very limited PT and a medical redshirt).

The team is basically adding eight (8) newly eligible players to the program this season. If you count the two walk-ons announced awhile ago (twins from Denison (?) can't recall their names) that makes 10 new players on the bench this season !!

If jones can shoot 35% or more to go along with Jok and Uthoff Iowa could a could be a very dangerouse team from the perimeter.

Spacing is so key in basketball and having three tall knockdown shooters around the outside allows you to have many options.

In the history of Iowa basketball, has there ever been this much new talent infused into the program all at once?

You have the new freshman class - Hutton, Fleming, Moss, Wagner, and Williams. Include JUCO transfer Dale Jones. Now add rFR Baer and Brady Ellingson (basically a newcomer with very limited PT and a medical redshirt).

The team is basically adding eight (8) newly eligible players to the program this season. If you count the two walk-ons announced awhile ago (twins from Denison (?) can't recall their names) that makes 10 new players on the bench this season !!
Chemistry will be extremely important. Getting the players to buy in will be difficult, but if successful could make for a very nice season.

Wow, nu, I've been thinking about that sentence since I read it. And the reasonable answer would be yes and more talent for sure the year Raveling brought in Marble, Armstrong, Horton and Gamble. The rankings prove that. In fact, rankings show that there have been many years where, though the amount of the incoming newbies was smaller, the talent was better.

I think it would be unreasonable to say maybe if we're lucky this could develop into the best group SINCE that storied foursome of thirty years ago. Wouldn't it?

Then it hit me. About thirty years ago. A group of guys that had a hand in a 30-5 season and an Elite Eight. Oddly enough, about thirty years before them we had a group of five guys who took us to TWO Final Fours, and almost won us a National Championship. And here is their story:

http://archive.hawkcentral.com/2010/08/31/iwoa-basketball-a-look-back-at-the-fabulous-five/

Is there perhaps some weird Mayan Calendar thing going on here? Bucky O'Conner's guys weren't world shockers when they all came to Iowa. They became what they were regardless of what people expected. It just proves that you never know.

You never know. And what have we got to do in May but imagine the glory to come when our turn comes around again? Heck, why not? And when one thinks about it, for about thirty years after the Fab Five, the original Fab Five, Iowa was a dang good basketball school. We had our ups and downs but the ups included some pretty high ups. It all kind of ended with that 1987 team and since then it all kind of soured.

For about thirty years. With many more downs than ups.

But what if this weird Mayan Calendar type thing isn't just coincidence? Then we're not just talking about one of the best group of recruits, like Bucky's guys kind of out of nowhere. But the beginning of another long cycle of some special basketball.

Why not.

If jones can shoot 35% or more to go along with Jok and Uthoff Iowa could a could be a very dangerouse team from the perimeter.

Spacing is so key in basketball and having three tall knockdown shooters around the outside allows you to have many options.
This was a point I made in an earlier post. These 3 kids can really shoot the rock. And they can rise up and shoot over defenders. This year could be very different from those of recent memory.

That kid can flat out play. So can Moss. I'm very optimistic

well done Dan on the players Pre-PTL....and to think some think many of your post...make no sense..isn't it fun fooling fools. :D

the Dale Jones video was great..

looking forward to your Post-PTL player analysis.

[

I agree that overall, this is the most athletic recruiting class we’ve had in some time. However, for the most part, that won’t translate to minutes on the court because of sheer numbers in the class and experience in front of them. They’ll all see minutes in the preseason, but overall, frosh will be off the court frequently. But their time will come.

Jones will see some significant minutes because we need big bodies, he can shoot, and, as Dan pointed out, Fran went after him instead of big guy because of his talent.

Of the frosh, if any see over 10 minutes a game in 2015, I’m expecting that to be Moss because of coach Francis’ statement that his offense is ready.

The expectations for Uhl are interesting. I don’t think he needs to score very much to be valuable or even to start. JU will score 15+, PJ will score in double figures, Woody and Gesell will probably flirt with double figures. Jones will be another shooter in this mix. What we’ll need Uhl for is defense. Consider at 6’8”-6’9” his length, lateral movement, quickness. When was the last time we had someone like that who could guard both forward and guard positions. From a defensive standpoint, he could be our secret weapon.

I love where McC has brought the Iowa program. Since the PP debacle, the most excitement Iowa bball fans seemed to have was during recruiting, and most of the really good recruits did not choose Iowa. There were recruits here and there that created a buzz but it seemed like a lot more did not make it to school or, when they did, they just didn't pan out. I know that a few kids have left the program since McC came but for the most part we have seen that those who stayed have improved a lot. As a result, the program has been on the rise. Good recruiting and player development yields good results which in turn helps recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT