ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest area of concern

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
What are your 3 biggest spots for concern with this team next year?

1) WR / WR depth- Smith is legit but after that it is hard to be really excited about anyone. VB is undersized but a decent player, Stone has some potential. Hillyer has the size but has yet to put it together. Very underwhelming group imo and are going to need some youngsters to step up and play well. Like the move of Parker to the outside if you can get him in space (and to not throw the ball downfield).

2) Punting- Just flat out awful. I don't understand how we can have two scholarship punters that cant punt it over 40 yards. Mind blowing really in this day and age of college sports. Totally kills our field position and with our team this year we are going to need those hidden yards to be successful. Bigger issue than most are making it I believe.

3) LB- Think we have a decent group but they need to improve their quickness and above all making the tackle in space. We were in the right position last year but failed to make the tackle tons of times. I am hoping they prove me wrong and become a solid unit.

Honorable mention- Coaching / offensive scheme

I wouldn't disagree with your 3. I might substitute RB for WR. We have some good backs on the roster, but we don't yet know how they will perform over the entire season. Canzeri looks good but has shown a tendency to get hurt. We haven't seen enough of the others.

I agree our WR depth is a question mark, but CJ might be able to "fix" that. By that I mean...a good QB will make your WR's better.

My biggest concern is the punting game. The worth of a good punter cannot be understated. It makes a huge difference if the opponent is regularly starting from inside their 20, rather than their 30 (or more). Kirk really needs to get this fixed.

Granted, I'm not sure about Falconer. But I wouldn't be surprised if Jerminic Smith isn't playing decent snaps within the first 6 weeks. He held offers to TCU and TTU, along with Minny. So, I think the guy can play, just needs time to learn playbook and block. Falconer is also someone I could see playing at some point year 1. If the WR are struggling, I could see this prompting Kirk to play some freshman. I don't know, I'm hoping for a playmaker I guess.

Originally posted by hexumhawk:

What are your 3 biggest spots for concern with this team next year?

1) WR / WR depth- Smith is legit but after that it is hard to be really excited about anyone. VB is undersized but a decent player, Stone has some potential. Hillyer has the size but has yet to put it together. Very underwhelming group imo and are going to need some youngsters to step up and play well. Like the move of Parker to the outside if you can get him in space (and to not throw the ball downfield).

Agree depth could be a problem. I still believe that VandeBerg will be a very productive WR. Tevaun Smith could have a special year also with Beathard at QB. Hillyer, Stone, Parker, Harris, Scheel, McCarron - at least 2 from this group will need prove their reliability this year. A serious injury to a starter (especially Smith) might be a big setback. However, I would not identify the WR unit as one the 3 biggest areas of concern right now.

2) Punting- Just flat out awful. I don't understand how we can have two scholarship punters that cant punt it over 40 yards. Mind blowing really in this day and age of college sports. Totally kills our field position and with our team this year we are going to need those hidden yards to be successful. Bigger issue than most are making it I believe.

Definitely a concern. Special teams in general must improve.

3) LB- Think we have a decent group but they need to improve their quickness and above all making the tackle in space. We were in the right position last year but failed to make the tackle tons of times. I am hoping they prove me wrong and become a solid unit.

Honorable mention- Coaching / offensive scheme

Yes. Plus the two LBs with starting experienced have now switched positions. I believe Ben Niemann will be a very good LB but alas he is new to the position also.
The biggest area of concern right now IMO is OL. Two huge holes to fill at tackle. The middle of the line should be solid. Depth is also an issue. The good news is that there are a few good young prospects either coming off red shirt or are true freshman joining the program this Summer. The bad news is they are all inexperienced. This unit needs a couple of 2nd or 3rd year lineman to impress this Spring and Fall.

Originally posted by SigMaintHawk:
1.OL
2.Offensive Coordinator
3.WR
4.LB
1. Head Coach
2. Head Coach
3. Head Coach
4. Offensive Coordinator
5. Punter (would like to have just 1 real one - wouldn't that be something)

The rest of the team is pretty weak in pretty much every position (our QB will be better - in spite of all the ills that surround him). That's the way it is when you recruit like Iowa has, which is to say poorly, or very poor, whichever you prefer.

Originally posted by sloehawk:

1.OL
2.Offensive Coordinator
3.WR
4.LB
1. Head Coach
2. Head Coach
3. Head Coach
4. Offensive Coordinator

The rest of the team is pretty weak in pretty much every position (our QB will be better - in spite of all the ills that surround him). That's the way it is when you recruit like Iowa has, which is to say poorly, or very poor, whichever you prefer.

1.OL
2.Offensive Coordinator
3.WR
4.LB
1. Head Coach
2. Head Coach
3. Head Coach
4. Offensive Coordinator

Really lame post.

OL & LB & Tackling

Offensively I'm confident that we have a WR a QB a TE and RB that can play at a high level. Not much depth but out of the gate I'm feeling okay. OL for me?

LB, last year we were not fielding BIG 10 LBs just because they all mostly come back doesn't tell me there ready for this level. I'm very concerned. I'm good with our front 4 and dBs again depth is a concern.

Was last years problem with basic tackling due to poor technique or due to not fielding BIG 10 quality athletes couldn't tell ya? But we need to figure that one out fast.

Originally posted by Ladell-hawk:

1.OL
2.Offensive Coordinator
3.WR
4.LB
1. Head Coach
2. Head Coach
3. Head Coach
4. Offensive Coordinator

1.OL
2.Offensive Coordinator
3.WR
4.LB
1. Head Coach
2. Head Coach
3. Head Coach
4. Offensive Coordinator

Really lame post.
I think sloe nailed it if it wasn't so long winded. It should have stopped after number 1. There has to be 20 kids walking around campus that could out punt our guys last year but maybe they can't learn the punting playbook in time
question.r191677.gif

Overall offensive production. If we improve quite a bit it takes the pressure off of punting and the defense. If it is a similar offense to last year we have big problems exposed in many areas.

OL- Lack of experience and lack of depth. The Iowa offense has major problems when they get behind on down and distance. The offense is predicated around long drives without explosive plays. A hold, false start, or missed assignment leading to a sack tend to be drive killers.

Punting- If the offense is stalling paired with the opponent getting plus field position could be a major issue. Iowa doesn't have a guy that can flip the field.

DL- As much concern as people have about the LB corp I'm actually more concerned about the DL. Ott is great and Johnson has potential. I see this group as one that can be worn down do to lack of depth. I love Nate Meiers's heart and motor but on running downs he has issues setting the edge. This is a huge issue with mobile QBs and zone read type plays. If our DTs can't keep OGs off of Iowa's undersized LBs we will be gashed up the middle.

We don't have much talent, but play a very weak schedule to compensate for it.

After watching the open practice at Valley today, it is back up QB. God help us if CJ were to get injured. Getting Boyle or Cook ready to go in the fall must be priority #1 because Wiegers is no where near ready and I'm not sure he ever will be.

1) Offense
2) Special Teams
3) Defense

Recruiting and coaching are also pretty scary lately. Feel pretty good about everything else.

QB. We only really have one now and if he goes down it will be quite worrisome.

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:
OL- Lack of experience and lack of depth. The Iowa offense has major problems when they get behind on down and distance. The offense is predicated around long drives without explosive plays. A hold, false start, or missed assignment leading to a sack tend to be drive killers.
This pisses me off because of all people, KF should know better. Norm, who apparently deserves most of the credit for the good years, would have LOVED going against the Iowa offense. How KF & GD have combined to put together the exact offense our defensive coordinator used to feast on is beyond me. Any Hawk fan being honest with themselves should be very upset about this.

Originally posted by makeachange:
Every position is lacking.. But OL and PUNTER are glaring.
You are either 1 a troll or 2 a lot of fun to be around watching an Iowa game. Sure after the Indiana or N'western games you were bitching about how Iowa should have won by more this year. Besides obsessing about Stoops and Kentucky have you ever said one thing half way like a compliment about Iowa or is it all doom and gloom with you?

Originally posted by Ladell-hawk:

1.OL
2.Offensive Coordinator
3.WR
4.LB
1. Head Coach
2. Head Coach
3. Head Coach
4. Offensive Coordinator

1.OL
2.Offensive Coordinator
3.WR
4.LB
1. Head Coach
2. Head Coach
3. Head Coach
4. Offensive Coordinator

Really lame post.
Yeah well. The truth hurts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT