ADVERTISEMENT

Blast from the past some great matches!

Never get enough of watching that.

Remember the actual match well. What a shock to Iowa State.

In the first 40 seconds of that match there is more offense shown than in some of our full matches at NCAA's. Crazy how the sport has changed. These matches are what officials need to be watching to really show what action is and how to call stalling correctly.

Note that Zalesky is up 19-5 with 10 seconds left, in the top position, and he's working hard to get more back points.

Lots of people talk about working to dominate opponents. Zalesky demonstrated the effort.

I have a close friend who wrestled at ISU at this time. He "claims" he warned everyone that this might backfire because although freshman Zalesky was a somewhat unknown quanity at this time, he had beat Ricky Stewart (defending NCAA champ) the week before, 15-12. He says he was the only wrestler or coach that had any qualms about moving Carr up.

This match was surreal at the time and is still fun to watch.

Not to be picky, but Zalesky was a sophomore when this match was wrestled. He finished 5th at the 1981 NCAA's the previous season, then went on to win in '82, '83', and '84

This post was edited on 4/15 1:27 PM by overeasy

A little trivia on Carr/Zalesky they wrestled each other at Jr Nationals their senior years at 154 pounds with Carr winning something like 23-4 so no wonder Carr felt confident about going up a weight to wrestle Jimmy. It shows how much Zalesky improved once in the Iowa wrestling room. Zalesky is a all timer non stop goer was fun to watch with out a doubt.
This post was edited on 4/15 1:48 PM by winwithdignity

Fun match to watch. Was it 1986 or 87 that OK St moved a high ranked wrestler up a weight to wrestle Royce, with even less success? If I remember right Royce pinned him and then stood over him in a true 'Royce' moment while the crowd went nuts.

I have a friend who was a wrestling manager for Iowa at the time. When I got to Hilton I saw him him near the Iowa side of the mat. When I approached him he started laughing and telling me how it all went down in the weigh-in. He was laughing his ass off saying that Jimmy was going to destroy Carr and ISU just gave the meet to Iowa. If I remember correctly, I think Kerber may have beat Gibbons that night, but I may be wrong on that one.

Originally posted by trumpy:
I have a friend who was a wrestling manager for Iowa at the time. When I got to Hilton I saw him him near the Iowa side of the mat. When I approached him he started laughing and telling me how it all went down in the weigh-in. He was laughing his ass off saying that Jimmy was going to destroy Carr and ISU just gave the meet to Iowa. If I remember correctly, I think Kerber may have beat Gibbons that night, but I may be wrong on that one.
I heard the announcer say Gibbons lost. Great match and atmosphere especially considering it happened before 2010.

Watched about the whole thing. Would love for stalling to be called like it used to be

Thank you for posting that- first time to see that. Nice job by Jimmy.

Would you have the DeAnna-Churella Big Ten final by any chance too?

Reactions: darls
ADVERTISEMENT