ADVERTISEMENT

Brody Grothus

WEH8ST8HAWK

HR All-American
Jan 31, 2004
Just ran into Brody and asked him about next year. He is going after Sorensen at 149. If that doesn't work he is going down not up. That is straight from his mouth. Take it for what it is worth.

Reactions: Vanillamostly
Well, it worked so well last year so why not?
As has been previously stated, he tried to drop last year after being injured and was behind the 8 ball with the time constraints. This year the decision will be made in the first part of the season and the loser will move. He will have 3 months instead of 4 or 5 weeks. Maybe Sorensen is going 157 and we don't know it yet.

Well, it worked so well last year so why not?

I couldn't help myself with the quip - I'm sure others had the same thought.

But honestly, the kid has to be commended. He obviously feels 149 is his best weight and is going after it. And the time he isn't spending worrying about getting his body ready for 141 is time he's working to improve his wrestling. So I expect Sorenson better be getting after it too.

You guys know I'm a PSU fan, but I just became a Grothus fan too (except when he wrestles Retherford). Maybe Sorenson will be the one having to make adjustments.

I hope Sorensen is a career 149. I think he could be a multiple time finalist/champ. It will be a 3 way battle between He, Tsirtsis, and Retherford. A 'healthy' Hunter Stieber could be a factor as well, but It will definitely not be easy to be at the peak of D1 wrestling after coming back from 2 nearly simultaneous Tommy John operations, one on each elbow. Thats a lot of rehab, and a lot of strengthening to do to withstand the grind of a season.

Reactions: Gobblin
You serious? The bet is $100. You take Grothus at '49, I take Sorensen. Loser donates $100 to W4L. Deal?

Of course I'm serious. I'll donate win or lose - I did last year after winning the Gulibon-Clark bet.

So we are going to stink at 157 then? Bummer I was hoping he was getting himself huge for 157. Cooper looked pretty bad last year in open tournaments. I'm not sure who's the best option between Logan Thomsen and Patrick Rhoads. 157 is like the new 149, a black hole. Till Kemmerer steps in or Sorensen bumps up.

If he thinks the best chance to be an individual national champ is at 149 then chase your dreams. Wrestling is a selfish sport, take what you want.

It's a goofy thing in wrestling, when you're a wrestler the main goal is to be an individual and team accomplishments are merely a byproduct. For a fan the main goal is team championships and often think wrestlers should sacrifice what's best for themselves for the betterment of the team.

Reactions: dicemen99
Of course I'm serious. I'll donate win or lose - I did last year after winning the Gulibon-Clark bet.

So we are going to stink at 157 then? Bummer I was hoping he was getting himself huge for 157. Cooper looked pretty bad last year in open tournaments. I'm not sure who's the best option between Logan Thomsen and Patrick Rhoads. 157 is like the new 149, a black hole. Till Kemmerer steps in or Sorensen bumps up.

Remember, Cooper started the season at 149, like Grothus. He was undersized at 157. If Grothus could make it down to 141 -- and that's obviously a big "if" -- I'd hope that Cooper would be bulking up in the off-season to take over 157. I think he's our best option there, and I think he could have a respectable season if he got himself stronger. Cooper has never all that far behind Grothus. I'd love to see Grothus at 141, Sorensen at 149, and Cooper at 157, although I suspect we'll see Sorensen at 149 and Grothus and Cooper battling for 157, with more of a hole at 141 -- and I hope Carton proves that 141 isn't a hole.

I don't believe anyone in the room will take 149 from BS. But I'll give BG credit for having the confidence to try and unseat him. In the end... this doesn't help the team in the early part of the season and we'll see just how long it takes for 141 and 157 to shake out. Iowa is looking like a team with at least two holes in the lineup(141 or 157, and 165. Best wishes to all the guys!

Can't see your image, but hopefully it means our bet is on. For the ease of declaring a winner, why don't we just go with the winner of the first official match between the two - won't that be the Luther Open or something like that? No in room wrestle off reports or who starts the first dual - too messy.

I got Grothus. $100 to W4L

Can't see your image, but hopefully it means our bet is on. For the ease of declaring a winner, why don't we just go with the winner of the first official match between the two - won't that be the Luther Open or something like that? No in room wrestle off reports or who starts the first dual - too messy.

I got Grothus. $100 to W4L

Nope... 149lb starter at B1Gs. Same bet as last year.

Here's the case for Grothus winning a title at 149: He must beat Sorensen, probably multiple times and convincingly, to win the starting spot. He's going to have to place higher than Sorensen at early tourneys and then at Midlands, which means no decision until Jan. Then at NCAAs he has to beat Tsirtsis, H Stieber, and Retheford.

In the words of Lloyd Christmas, "So you're telling me there's a chance."

Here's the case for Grothus winning a title at 141: He must get his weight down early so that he can maintain it and be competitive. He must beat Topher Carton for the starting spot. Then at NCAAs he must beat Kevin Jack, Chris Mecate, and Dean Heil (the highest returning AA).

Hmmm...what to do...what to do...

How the hell was I prick about it??? It's the exact same bet as last year.

How the hell was I prick about it??? It's the exact same bet as last year.

If that's the way you intended your reply, my apologies. I wasn't involved in any of the bets last year, so your post came off as kind of prickish to someone without that knowledge. As the odds are probably much better for Sorenson to be the rep at B1Gs, than to win a single match (one that he has lost before) and the thing is for charity after all.

Again, I took it a different way - apologies. I'm in on the bet no matter what and will be rooting for Grothus.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Tough Situation. On one side, you have a Sophomore who has proven himself with a 4th place finish at the NCAA Tournament. On the other side, you have a Senior who has shown improvement each season, but has yet to prove himself at the NCAA Tournament.

To me, Grothus has a very small margin for error. Beating Sorenson isn't enough. He has to dominate the rest of the competition he faces AND get lucky enough to run across top competition, while also beating them. Oh, and all of this has to be accomplished early in the season.

I will always support the Senior who has fought 5 years in a DI room. Still, shooting for 149 will most likely cost him and could hurt the team. I am sure Sorenson is mentally strong enough that it probably isn't an issue. Still, does it help if you are having to battle for your spot in the room instead of battling to beat the guy who you lost to for 3rd?

I wish them both the best. However, I was hoping this would be decided before the season started.

Tough Situation. On one side, you have a Sophomore who has proven himself with a 4th place finish at the NCAA Tournament. On the other side, you have a Senior who has shown improvement each season, but has yet to prove himself at the NCAA Tournament.

To me, Grothus has a very small margin for error. Beating Sorenson isn't enough. He has to dominate the rest of the competition he faces AND get lucky enough to run across top competition, while also beating them. Oh, and all of this has to be accomplished early in the season.

I will always support the Senior who has fought 5 years in a DI room. Still, shooting for 149 will most likely cost him and could hurt the team. I am sure Sorenson is mentally strong enough that it probably isn't an issue. Still, does it help if you are having to battle for your spot in the room instead of battling to beat the guy who you lost to for 3rd?

I wish them both the best. However, I was hoping this would be decided before the season started.

Disagree that this will hurt the team in the long run. Maybe as a dual team (maybe), but in the end what difference does that make. The only significant effect on the team will be the amount of points scored at NCAAs and IMO, Grothus is probably correct at this point in that 149 is the spot for him to contribute in that way.

In fact, the push he gives Sorenson in having to earn his spot this year may prove more valuable pointwise in March than the uncertainty of points for Grothus at another weight.

Tarp I know your single goal when you wrestled at Iowa was to All-American and to accomplish that you just cut a bunch of weight to the weakest weight class that no adult human should weigh so you could say "I'm a two-time All-American." despite winning just three matches total in those years, due to low participation and guys not able to make weight, defaulted twice to 8th place. That's cool, good for you. The funny thing is, it looks like your best results were when you actually wrestled at a higher weightclass, maybe you shouldn't have run from actual competition and had a bit more confidence in yourself.

If Brody wants to win a National title and he thinks he is a title contender at 149 and can't be as effective at 141 due to probably being more injury prone, tired, etc. then he should go 149. I don't think he'll beat Sorenson next year, but I sure as hell am not going to criticize the kid for not running away from a challenge, not running to a weaker weight class, and having the confidence in your abilities .

WWDM Hawk, I was excited about Coopers potential last year, but he was bad at 157 AND 149. I believe Brody pinned him. Or maybe Kelly did. I just have a hard time convincing myself that last years 3rd string 149 is an AA contender this year at 157. I'm trying though

Tarp I know your single goal when you wrestled at Iowa was to All-American and to accomplish that you just cut a bunch of weight to the weakest weight class that no adult human should weigh so you could say "I'm a two-time All-American." despite winning just three matches total in those years, due to low participation and guys not able to make weight, defaulted twice to 8th place. That's cool, good for you. The funny thing is, it looks like your best results were when you actually wrestled at a higher weightclass, maybe you shouldn't have run from actual competition and had a bit more confidence in yourself.

If Brody wants to win a National title and he thinks he is a title contender at 149 and can't be as effective at 141 due to probably being more injury prone, tired, etc. then he should go 149. I don't think he'll beat Sorenson next year, but I sure as hell am not going to criticize the kid for not running away from a challenge, not running to a weaker weight class, and having the confidence in your abilities .

Wow. Just wow. And really uncalled for and unprovoked. Not cool.

Tarp provides a lot of great input here. Brody is the one who plans to go to 141 (reportedly) if 149 doesn't work out for him. Brody thinks he can make it and be effective. I am pretty sure it isn't Tarp that is forcing him to do that.

It's okay, I can take it. :)

I did what I felt I had to do, and Brody will do what he feels he has to do. A message board is a fair place to discuss the pros and cons of such strategies. Brody's strategy also impacts the team race, which is bigger than just Brody, which is all the more reason to discuss its merits.

Well, even according to you, Brody's decision is worth about the same number of team points as he earned last year. Which is zero, and he's watching from the stands his senior year at NCAA's. I'm all for every wrestler having confidence in their abilities, but I'd also like them to be able to self evaluate accurately and honestly. I think he would do a very fine job at 141 or 157 and the team benefits from that decision. I'm a huge fan of Grothus, and I want him somewhere in the lineup his senior year.

Total dick comment regarding Tarp. I think I'd like to be able to say "I cut my balls off to be an All American" vs "I didn't cut or move up, but I was a helluva backup".

It's okay, I can take it. :)

I did what I felt I had to do, and Brody will do what he feels he has to do. A message board is a fair place to discuss the pros and cons of such strategies. Brody's strategy also impacts the team race, which is bigger than just Brody, which is all the more reason to discuss its merits.

I'm glad you can take it. It was pretty inflammatory. That said, your point is the right one. It's not just about Brody doing what's best for himself. It's about the team, of which Brody is a member, positioning itself to win a title. I'm not tall enough to tie TnT's shoelaces, but if I were the coach, I wouldn't want Brody and Brandon spending months fighting over 149, only to leave the loser with a truncated part of the season to shed 8 pounds. That didn't work out so well last year. Resolve it, and resolve it early.

Reactions: 86_90
BG has unfinished business at 149. Hopefully someone figures it out sooner rather than later and gets down to 141. I really doubt either one would be effective at that weight though.

Tarp said it well - it's Grothus' decision and no one else's. The discussion is fine about the team implications - but that is pretty much fan discussion.

He obviously feels he is most effective at 149 - I'll be rooting for him there.

On a side note (lol) - "cut your balls off to be an All American" - really????????? I think I'll pass...

I'm glad you can take it. It was pretty inflammatory. That said, your point is the right one. It's not just about Brody doing what's best for himself. It's about the team, of which Brody is a member, positioning itself to win a title. I'm not tall enough to tie TnT's shoelaces, but if I were the coach, I wouldn't want Brody and Brandon spending months fighting over 149, only to leave the loser with a truncated part of the season to shed 8 pounds. That didn't work out so well last year. Resolve it, and resolve it early.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this - but I don't think you got the gist of Tarp's post. I don't think he is saying that Brody should do what's right for the team, he is more saying that because it impacts the team it is a good discussion topic for US. Maybe Tarp can correct or confirm that for me.

BTW, that was really cool of Tarp to take the path he did. It was a very unnecessary and inflammatory personal attack, but he bypassed it, while pointing out the merits of discussing some of the underlying debates on weight issues.

I am firmly on one side of this issue - while acknowledging that it is a whole different ball game for the individuals being discussed at this level given their maturity and the access to advanced training/knowledge to them. My point, however, is the somewhat celebratory attitude that often pervades this discussion -even when it is about individuals at this level - has a detrimental effect on the sport seen at the grass root levels. I feel that not enough time is taken to point out the negative consequences to this and it is imperative that this is done if only to counteract some of the myths that are perpetuated by ill-informed mentors of young wrestlers. I'd like to hear Tarp's opinion on this...

If that's the way you intended your reply, my apologies. I wasn't involved in any of the bets last year, so your post came off as kind of prickish to someone without that knowledge. As the odds are probably much better for Sorenson to be the rep at B1Gs, than to win a single match (one that he has lost before) and the thing is for charity after all.

Again, I took it a different way - apologies. I'm in on the bet no matter what and will be rooting for Grothus.

Still don't see how you came away with me being a "prick" about it... Regardless of whether or not you knew about the standing bet I had on this board last year... Unless you're arrogant enough to just expect me to agree to your terms on a bet that I created???

Either way, glad you're a good sport and about it and the bet remains... It's not exclusive to you and I either. If anyone else would like some action I'm game.

My worthless $.02 is that this doesn't help the team in the long run. I think it's better to have Brody commit to 157 and put the weight on the right way. Cooper showed very little last year in terms of him being a capable starter at 157. Grothus has 6 months before the season starts, plenty of time to put on the muscle necessary to be effective. If this is true and he chooses to go 149 I see a few scenarios:

A.)
141 - Grothus sucked down
149 - BS
157 - Cooper, Rhoads, ????
B.)
141 - Carton
149 - BS
157 - Cooper, Rhoads, ????
C.)
141 - Carton
149 - Grothus
157 - BS

Honestly I think B would be most likely because we could see Grothus miss out on the 149 spot then try and fail on the weight cut to 141. By that time it would be too late to go to 157 just like this past season. This option is not good for the team.

This is a good thing. Brody can keep his weight at 149 for the first half of the season and slowly go to 41. Holding 141 for half a season will be much easier.

Last edited:
I think we should all cut to 141 to show our support for Grothus.....I have about 62 pounds to go:)

Reactions: shobart
Tarp I know your single goal when you wrestled at Iowa was to All-American and to accomplish that you just cut a bunch of weight to the weakest weight class that no adult human should weigh so you could say "I'm a two-time All-American." despite winning just three matches total in those years, due to low participation and guys not able to make weight, defaulted twice to 8th place .

uh, what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT