ADVERTISEMENT

Brody Grothus

Since Amaloon has apparently disappeared, has he appointed Dice as the new EXPERT on this forum?
I can pretty much guarantee those that care that Dice is in the minority with most of his thoughts. But the PSU arrogance once again rears its' ugly head. Yeah!

And as someone else already posted, it being the slow time of the year and all, maybe we can start a thread with our "all obnoxious" foreign poster poll!

Reactions: 86_90
I remember reading on here last year how Bo Jordan wasn't going to be on Nick Moore's level.

Micah's RS year was very similiar to Bo's...a lot of bonus points. Everyone always under values the Jordan's because they never competed in any freestyle events in High School, but all they do is win. The last match I saw Micah wrestle live he was beating Dean Heil of OSU, in a hotly contested dual meet. He is good and if he is at 149 (which a lot of people think he will be), then he will be in the mix.

I remember reading on here last year how Bo Jordan wasn't going to be on Nick Moore's level.
Micah's RS year was very similiar to Bo's...a lot of bonus points. Everyone always under values the Jordan's because they never competed in any freestyle events in High School, but all they do is win. The last match I saw Micah wrestle live he was beating Dean Heil of OSU, in a hotly contested dual meet. He is good and if he is at 149 (which a lot of people think he will be), then he will be in the mix.

o_O Huh?

Last year people were posting that Bo Jordan wasn't going to be on Nick Moore's level. Now people are posting that Micah will not be on Sorensen's level.

No one said this. What has been said is that Micah's body of work thus far doesn't put him into title contender discussions at this point. He very well might be there, but there is little current data to back it up.

Last year people were posting that Bo Jordan wasn't going to be on Nick Moore's level. Now people are posting that Micah will not be on Sorensen's level.

Bo was better than Micah in high school and had a better redshirt year. Sorenson is better than Nick Moore. I expect Micah to be good

I am for anyone doing what they can to be a champion. Having said that, I don't see him beating Sorenson and after his crash last year I don't think 141 is sustainable. I know there were circumstances but I just don't want him hurting himself.

Reactions: dicemen99
A person may "know" their son is not medical school material or "know" their daughter is not going to make a run at Miss America, yet they don't appreciate hearing it from a neighbors. It tends to come off as an insult.

Point taken. I still think it is better for discussion in terms of a message board that we disregard this courtesy, but I get where you are coming from.

Yes, absolutely moronic. If Micah passes Sorenson then he is going to be giving Zain and Tsirtsis absolutely everything they can handle. So while Zain may win, I could see 1-8 depending on how many unproven guys may or may not pass him. I also never said Micah wasn't going to be any good, but picking him to be on Sorenson's level because of his family name is a stretch at this point. Not impossible but certainly a brave projection. You're okay using "facts" as long as it supports your twisted arguments.

Okay, let's slow down. This line of discussion has gone completely off the rails as you are missing my original point and YOU are actually twisting MY argument here - that could be my fault if I wasn't clear in the original post.

So to back up, the point I am trying to make is:

1) I don't think that Sorenson is right now at Retherford's level, or even Tsirtsis' come March. That's my opinion - probably shared by many. I don't think he's too far behind, but I would think he is a little.

2) He is more susceptible than those guys to being knocked off by a guy like Cobb in March at this point. Again, my opinion, but I don't see Retherford or Tsirtsis losing that match in March. Maybe Tsirtsis in December, don't see Retherford being that susceptible

3) I wouldn't pick Sorenson to lose to Cobb or anyone else besides Retherford or Tsirtsis at this point, but it is possible he does and guys like Micah Jordan and Anthony Collica come to mind as guys that might be threats to make some noise at NCAAs.

4) Brody Grothus' run at 149 may possibly add some extra motivation (as explained above, not going through the explanation again) the pushes Sorenson up a notch and secure extra placement points at the NCAA - which may just be as important to an Iowa run at the title as Grothus at another weight. Possibly, which is what I wrote above.

So don't try and twist this into me making an argument that Micah Jordan and Collica are at Sorenson's level right now.

No one said this. What has been said is that Micah's body of work thus far doesn't put him into title contender discussions at this point. He very well might be there, but there is little current data to back it up.

I agree with this, even though some posters think I don't, lol. I would guess that he's going to be pretty good this year, but it's just a guess without a lot of backup.

Since Amaloon has apparently disappeared, has he appointed Dice as the new EXPERT on this forum?
I can pretty much guarantee those that care that Dice is in the minority with most of his thoughts. But the PSU arrogance once again rears its' ugly head. Yeah!

And as someone else already posted, it being the slow time of the year and all, maybe we can start a thread with our "all obnoxious" foreign poster poll!

Does anyone see the irony in the fact that the posters that are most bothered by Amalone exhibit the exact same qualities as him when posting on their home board? The only difference seems to be the fact that they don't post on other boards, which IMO is a negative and gives him a one up on them.

Reactions: Krupnyakov
MitchL will consistently twist words and bash other posters opinions. Also I see he has reappeared on the cyclone board to try and get a rise out of Mr. Meeks.

I never thought regular season Jr. year Nick Moore was going to beat Bo Jordan and the Nick Moore we got was not even close to that level. Not a great comparison. Bo was much more thought of than Micah and Sorensen has far surpassed anything Moore did in 4 years already. Micah may be the best thing ever but nothing he did last year proves it. Sorensen had better wins during RS year than Micah and a high finish at Midlands.

He has never had a chance to wrestle in the BIGs or NCAA. But, he has beat Tsirtsis, Kindig, Grajales, Habat, and Sorensen. Plus, he's dangerous. I'd like him in the lineup.
Actually in 2014 he went 1-2 in the Big Tens received a Wildcard to the NCAA's and went 1-2 there too. He does have some impressive wins, but also has some horrible loses.

it will be funny when psu stumbles after punting last year. just my opinion for the sake of discussion.

Okay, let's slow down. This line of discussion has gone completely off the rails as you are missing my original point and YOU are actually twisting MY argument here - that could be my fault if I wasn't clear in the original post.

So to back up, the point I am trying to make is:

1) I don't think that Sorenson is right now at Retherford's level, or even Tsirtsis' come March. That's my opinion - probably shared by many. I don't think he's too far behind, but I would think he is a little.

2) He is more susceptible than those guys to being knocked off by a guy like Cobb in March at this point. Again, my opinion, but I don't see Retherford or Tsirtsis losing that match in March. Maybe Tsirtsis in December, don't see Retherford being that susceptible

3) I wouldn't pick Sorenson to lose to Cobb or anyone else besides Retherford or Tsirtsis at this point, but it is possible he does and guys like Micah Jordan and Anthony Collica come to mind as guys that might be threats to make some noise at NCAAs.

4) Brody Grothus' run at 149 may possibly add some extra motivation (as explained above, not going through the explanation again) the pushes Sorenson up a notch and secure extra placement points at the NCAA - which may just be as important to an Iowa run at the title as Grothus at another weight. Possibly, which is what I wrote above.

So don't try and twist this into me making an argument that Micah Jordan and Collica are at Sorenson's level right now.

1. I don't understand the Collica love
2. Cobb's win over Sorenson was as much of an anomaly as Retherford's win over Steiber
3. I have never understood all the Grothus love either. He had a good two week stretch where he caught a guy going for a big move (Kindig), beat a one time AA that gassed (Grejales), and beat two legit wrestlers. He doesn't have the offense to really challenge for a high podium spot

2. Cobb's win over Sorenson was as much of an anomaly as Retherford's win over Steiber
3. I have never understood all the Grothus love either. He had a good two week stretch where he caught a guy going for a big move (Kindig), beat a one time AA that gassed (Grejales), and beat two legit wrestlers. He doesn't have the offense to really challenge for a high podium spot

I think the love for Grothus is coming from where he seemed to be last year. I think Grothus has improved each year and his junior year started off fairly decent. He beat Sorensen and Cooper. He beat Cobb. Lost in OT to Tsirtsis (who doesn't though, right?) and lost to a pretty tough Wilbourn. There's really not enough data, but I think he could have had a fine season at 149 if Sorensen wasn't there. Maybe wishful thinking, but looking at his results he's only had 2 head scratching losses his soph and junior years with the Illinois kid and Wisconsin kid. I admit though. I'm really pulling for the young man.

I think the love for Grothus is coming from where he seemed to be last year. I think Grothus has improved each year and his junior year started off fairly decent. He beat Sorensen and Cooper. He beat Cobb. Lost in OT to Tsirtsis (who doesn't though, right?) and lost to a pretty tough Wilbourn. There's really not enough data, but I think he could have had a fine season at 149 if Sorensen wasn't there. Maybe wishful thinking, but looking at his results he's only had 2 head scratching losses his soph and junior years with the Illinois kid and Wisconsin kid. I admit though. I'm really pulling for the young man.

That is all true. He's a good wrestler but I still think he is a low AA at 149. I just don't see him being an AA at his non ideal weight.

Does anyone see the irony in the fact that the posters that are most bothered by Amalone exhibit the exact same qualities as him when posting on their home board? The only difference seems to be the fact that they don't post on other boards, which IMO is a negative and gives him a one up on them.

No,no, no...Amalone was over here on PSU's "off year" being a good little boy, nice and respectful, until Iowa lost at the NCAAs. Then it was back to the same old dude. Don't act like he was over here backing PSU, flaming us, because he wasn't. Tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: 86_90
If he jumps all in right now for 157, I see him as a mid-range AA.

MitchL will consistently twist words and bash other posters opinions. Also I see he has reappeared on the cyclone board to try and get a rise out of Mr. Meeks.
No one is twisting words. I merely don't agree with most of what Dice is saying. And it is a little odd how Amaloon's posts ceased just about the same time Dice became involved to a greater degree.

For the record... there's been quite a lot of bashing of opinions on this thread to date. Many, many threads end up with posters getting pretty nasty. If you have thin skin, message board opinions may not be your cup of tea. Better to read, shake your head, and move on. Regarding Daddy Meeks...he is his own worst enemy. He energized Iowa fans with his comments a few years ago. When things went south almost immediately for his son... he got pretty defensive with a litany of excuses. I don't share the well wishes for his son. If he ever wrestles against a Hawk, I hope he gets thrashed again, and again, and yet again.

I have been around here much longer than amalone. And my posts are generally nothing like his.

No problem with you disagreeing with my opinion. Before long I will certainly be proven right yet again (ha, ha - that was a joke, don't get your panties in a wad).

I've got to say that I usually don't come on here spewing all things PSU. Nor do I think my slant (and yes, I'm sure I have one as I AM a PSU fan) is all that bad. I try to see things as objectively as possible, but I'm sure that is not always possible.

For the record, I think

125 Mega > Gilman
133 Clark > Conaway
141 Gulibon > Iowa
149 Retherford > Sorenson
157 Nolf > Iowa OR Beitz = or only slightly favored
165 Nolf > Paddock or Hammond/Rasheed slightly > Paddock (although this is conjecture)
174 Meyer>Nickal
184 Brooks>McCutcheon
197 McIntosh>Burak
285 Nevills>Stoll

I think that is pretty fair.with a little bit of PSU bias (but then again I could have been far worse). When I put it up there like that, I hate (not) to say it, but PSU doesn't seem like a good matchup for you guys in a dual next year at all. Honestly the first time I looked at the potential dual when I typed it up there.

BTW, Sanderson pretty much confirmed Conaway 133, Gulibon 141 & Retherford 149 at an interview at the Coaches Caravan with Tim Owens of BWI. The only drama according to him is whether Nolf ends up at 57 or 65 and he also said that you could see Rasheed anywhere from 165 to 184. They are really, really high on Rasheed as there are reports that he was hammering Hammond last year and may look to take McCutcheon out of the lineup at some point. If he stays healthy - which is a big IF.

Just thought you guys would like a little news on a B1G rival.

Last edited:
I think this is the first thread I've every noticed anything by MitchL.

This is the Hawkeye Report, where Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling Fans get the benefit of the doubt, because they are Iowa Hawkeye Fans. Fans get to be emotional and spell words incorrectly and have crazy speculative opinions with no facts needed. Fans are allowed to dig on other Fans because in the end we are on the same team.

When someone from another fan-base posts on another team's message board, they are no longer "Fans," they are "Critics." Critics better have their facts squared away and had better be sure they don't intentionally post offensive, inflammatory commentary or they will lose any credibility they think they may have.

Critics don't get the benefit of the doubt. They are under scrutiny from sentence #1 and had better have a very thick skin. If they can't handle being attacked from all directions, then they never should have become a "critic." If you are a CRITIC you don't get to cry about how you are being unfairly characterized or how your words are being misunderstood. You make a point, support it and move on. Perhaps this isn't clear enough for some of our visiting critics.

Reactions: Knight563
I think this is the first thread I've every noticed anything by MitchL.

This is the Hawkeye Report, where Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling Fans get the benefit of the doubt, because they are Iowa Hawkeye Fans. Fans get to be emotional and spell words incorrectly and have crazy speculative opinions with no facts needed. Fans are allowed to dig on other Fans because in the end we are on the same team.

When someone from another fan-base posts on another team's message board, they are no longer "Fans," they are "Critics." Critics better have their facts squared away and had better be sure they don't intentionally post offensive, inflammatory commentary or they will lose any credibility they think they may have.

Critics don't get the benefit of the doubt. They are under scrutiny from sentence #1 and had better have a very thick skin. If they can't handle being attacked from all directions, then they never should have become a "critic." If you are a CRITIC you don't get to cry about how you are being unfairly characterized or how your words are being misunderstood. You make a point, support it and move on. Perhaps this isn't clear enough for some of our visiting critics.

I have no problem with this and expect to be scrutinized and my opinions objected to. I enjoy a healthy debate, even when it turns a little ornery, lol. I don't think I have been crying about anything on this thread, but if you are stating that I shouldn't respond if I feel my post was misunderstood, then I disagree with you. I'm going to respond.

I have no problem with this and expect to be scrutinized and my opinions objected to. I enjoy a healthy debate, even when it turns a little ornery, lol. I don't think I have been crying about anything on this thread, but if you are stating that I shouldn't respond if I feel my post was misunderstood, then I disagree with you. I'm going to respond.
I guess you don't get it. Unless you are extremely clear, your "posts" will be attacked, because you come here with an agenda that is not slanted towards the Hawkeye Point of View.

You are, by default, critical of our team, the history of the team, the fan base, the current program, the coaches ect.--all by default, because you are a critic when you post here. Your compliments are often back-handed barbs, this has been pointed out in the recent past. Everything you say/post here on our board is smothered in that patina. If you don't like it when someone "...misunderstood..." then that's on you. By the nature of this dynamic we won't see your views and opinions in the same light as you do because of what you are when you post on our site.

Stick to basic facts and you may get less resistance here if you choose to continue to post. Otherwise, your opinions will be viewed by the majority of readers here for what they are-- the views from a critic of the program we support.

I guess you don't get it. Unless you are extremely clear, your "posts" will be attacked, because you come here with an agenda that is not slanted towards the Hawkeye Point of View.

You are, by default, critical of our team, the history of the team, the fan base, the current program, the coaches ect.--all by default, because you are a critic when you post here. Your compliments are often back-handed barbs, this has been pointed out in the recent past. Everything you say/post here on our board is smothered in that patina. If you don't like it when someone "...misunderstood..." then that's on you. By the nature of this dynamic we won't see your views and opinions in the same light as you do because of what you are when you post on our site.

Stick to basic facts and you may get less resistance here if you choose to continue to post. Otherwise, your opinions will be viewed by the majority of readers here for what they are-- the views from a critic of the program we support.

I guess YOU don't get it. I think the majority of posters respond fine to me and I'm not concerned if there is "resistance." If I think one of my posts is misunderstood, I'll point it out. It doesn't seem too much trouble to me. If it remains misunderstood, so be it.

I'd like you to point out some of my backhanded barbs. I'd guess they are probably just my opinions. If you take it as a barb, so be it. It's not meant to be, but maybe you misunderstand, lol.

Last edited:
Tarp I know your single goal when you wrestled at Iowa was to All-American and to accomplish that you just cut a bunch of weight to the weakest weight class that no adult human should weigh so you could say "I'm a two-time All-American." despite winning just three matches total in those years, due to low participation and guys not able to make weight, defaulted twice to 8th place. That's cool, good for you. The funny thing is, it looks like your best results were when you actually wrestled at a higher weightclass, maybe you shouldn't have run from actual competition and had a bit more confidence in yourself.

If Brody wants to win a National title and he thinks he is a title contender at 149 and can't be as effective at 141 due to probably being more injury prone, tired, etc. then he should go 149. I don't think he'll beat Sorenson next year, but I sure as hell am not going to criticize the kid for not running away from a challenge, not running to a weaker weight class, and having the confidence in your abilities .

Pathetic just pitiful. You are very lucky the moderation is low level or you'd be on the bench.

Can someone please explain to me why this is so detrimental to Iowa's chances at an NCAA title? I do not see it having any effect at all. In fact, I could argue that it may turn into a positive.

The recipe to win a NC is NOT having good wrestlers at every weight. It's having very high finishers - very high - at a few weights and some AA guys at a few more. Spare me the Minnesota outlier.

Unless the focus here has switched to winning the National Dual title, I'm not sure what all the commotion is about.
You could also wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up the fastest. Either scenario is more plausible than the wisdom you're attempting to portray to Iowa fans with this brilliant "summation".

The average male Iowa 3rd grader has a far better understanding of the problems in this situation than you have.

Reactions: hawkeyesports92
Bo was better than Micah in high school and had a better redshirt year. Sorenson is better than Nick Moore. I expect Micah to be good

How was Bo better? They both won 4 State Titles. They both won the Ironman twice. The both were undefeated and named the OW of their Senior Year's State Tournament. And they both did not compete in any Freestyle events or really any "off season" events. The only difference I see is Micah was ranked 5 spots lower by Earl at DICW. Mostly because of some losses his Freshmen year of High School.

Bo beat the studs he faced. IMar, Weiricioch, Morris. Micah did the same, Heil, Bright, Ashnault, and Kutler. They both also had very impressive RS years, although Micah did not get the opportunity too see much high end competition. He scored Bonus Points against almost everyone though (at nearly an identical rate to Bo).

There were quite few people on here who were doubting Bo and were predicting Moore to win,if and when they wrestled each other. I thought they were crazy. Now, I will readily proclaim that Sorensen is very good and in fact, I believe he has always been better than Moore. I would also say that I would favor Sorensen over Micah Jordan! All I am saying is the Jordan's are pretty good, people know that now about Bo, and I think they are going to learn that about Micah soon. For some reason, just because they don't do Freestyle, they are overlooked. That is all I was trying to say. I was not putting down Sorensen even mildly. However, if Sorensen and Micah Jordan are in the same weight class, they will both be in the mix challenging whoever is on top of that weight class presumably Retherford and Tsirtsis.

I repeat....I am not saying Micah would beat Sorensen. I am also not comparing Moore to Sorensen. All I am saying is Micah is pretty darn good just like his brother Bo and some people of this board really undervalued Bo this time last year and I think some of you (NOT EVERYONE) might be doing the same with Micah.

That's all! I don't want to get the thread any further off topic.

No one is twisting words. I merely don't agree with most of what Dice is saying. And it is a little odd how Amaloon's posts ceased just about the same time Dice became involved to a greater degree.

For the record... there's been quite a lot of bashing of opinions on this thread to date. Many, many threads end up with posters getting pretty nasty. If you have thin skin, message board opinions may not be your cup of tea. Better to read, shake your head, and move on. Regarding Daddy Meeks...he is his own worst enemy. He energized Iowa fans with his comments a few years ago. When things went south almost immediately for his son... he got pretty defensive with a litany of excuses. I don't share the well wishes for his son. If he ever wrestles against a Hawk, I hope he gets thrashed again, and again, and yet again.

Twisting words might not have been the correct description so I apologize. It just seems that you are always looking to tow the line and piss off fans of other programs. For the record I am an Iowa fan and have been for many years. I agree that Mr Meeks did say things that got Iowa fans fired up and then there were a lot of excuses given for Jon. I do however have well wishes for him(not his dad) except against Iowa.

I don't know that it is flat out love for Collica, but he does deserve some serious consideration. He was a 3X Ohio State Champion and a 2X Fargo National Champ at 145(He won an absolutely stacked weight his senior season). He also placed third his senior year at the Junior WTT.

He did not redshirt, cut down to 141(not close to his ideal weight) and made it to the R12. He then ends up at 157 as a sophomore because he can't make 141 anymore and Kindig is at 149. He again makes it to R12.

This season he will finally be at his ideal weight. Knowing how hard it is to make R12 two years in a row and then adding in he did it 2X at less than ideal weights, it is hard not to expect good things from him this upcoming season.

I guess YOU don't get it. I think the majority of posters respond fine to me and I'm not concerned if there is "resistance." If I think one of my posts is misunderstood, I'll point it out. It doesn't seem too much trouble to me. If it remains misunderstood, so be it.

I'd like you to point out some of my backhanded barbs. I'd guess they are probably just my opinions. If you take it as a barb, so be it. It's not meant to be, but maybe you misunderstand, lol.
The vast majority the readers on the site never post one thing. I would suspect many of them get tired of your incessant pen state preaching, which you would never admit is a problem.

See the problem now? Doubt it?

The bore in the room seldom sees himself as such, he just blathers on and on and on....

I apologize ahead of time if this post doesn't interfere with your own self importance on our site.

Reactions: wasdt21
Sloe's post is probably the best/most accurate depiction of reality thus far on this topic. No emotional attachment, just the facts. I'm sure in Brody's mind he feels he's better than Brandon. After all he beat him head to head. It's hard to get in his head, it would just seem so easy to me. Cutting weight sucks and from all accounts, Brody is huge right now. Get in the gym and get bigger and stronger. He''s like 5' 10" at that height he would fill out nice at 157. Doesn't sound like it's gonna happen though. Hopefully the coaching staff takes the bull by the horns and tells guys what's what for the better of the team....and this board. We've gotta come up with a top ten or top 5 douche bag poster ranking list. Any takers?

I'll start(no particular order)
1. Dietz
2. Mr Blonde
3. Cranberry Adams
4. Amalone
5. Green Wave 7

I always thought Mr. Blonde a good poster.

The vast majority the readers on the site never post one thing. I would suspect many of them get tired of your incessant pen state preaching, which you would never admit is a problem.

See the problem now? Doubt it?

The bore in the room seldom sees himself as such, he just blathers on and on and on....

I apologize ahead of time if this post doesn't interfere with your own self importance on our site.
I'd take dice over majority of PSU posters. He's a pretty good one, and I don't recall any flaming out of him. Sometimes (usually) a knowledgeable poster that isn't blinded by black and gold is good for discussion.

I always thought Mr. Blonde a good poster.
Mr. Blonde was a great poster. Wish he'd post again. So Cal must be confusing him with someone else.

I agree - Blondie doesn't belong in that group. Diceman is fine too. He just stirs crap sometimes, but I think he means well.

However, Diceman should expect a lot of blowback from some of his comments.

he just said he doesn't consider iowa a threat this year if that don't bother any of you well maybe we should throw in the towel on the year right now, I for one am very hopeful that we have a couple of guys step up their game. screw that condiciding psu crap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT