ADVERTISEMENT

Brody Grothus

he just said he doesn't consider iowa a threat this year if that don't bother any of you well maybe we should throw in the towel on the year right now, I for one am very hopeful that we have a couple of guys step up their game. screw that condiciding psu crap.
That's the worst of it though. He said that he expects that not all of his opinions will be accepted. As of right now, Iowa is the underdog. As of right now, dice does not see Iowa as a threat. If, as you said, we have a couple of guys step up, then I'm sure his opinion can change. He doesn't have to hope for it like the rest of us Iowa fans though.

It's not like he's Malone over here spewing that "Iowa style is dead, all hail Cael" non-sense.

Last edited:
That's the worst of it though. He said that he expects that not all of his opinions will be accepted. As of right now, Iowa is the underdog. As of right now, dice does not see Iowa as a threat. If, as you said, we have a couple of guys step up, then I'm sure his opinion can change. He doesn't have to hope for it like the rest of us Iowa fans though.

It's not like he's Malone over here spewing that "Iowa style is dead, all hail Cael non-sense".
I look at the whole body of work when I make a statement--usually. My comments are not about this thread, it's related to a slew of past comments that were of the same theme--subtle and consistent digs on Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling at every opportunity. Look no further than diceman's avatar to see what he's all about. There are no coincidences regarding this guy.

I look at the whole body of work when I make a statement--usually. My comments are not about this thread, it's related to a slew of past comments that were of the same theme--subtle and consistent digs on Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling at every opportunity. Look no further than diceman's avatar to see what he's all about. There are no coincidences regarding this guy.

Perhaps you missed the thread where I posted about changing my avatar. What you see as subtle and consistent digs, I'm sure others view as good natured rival ribbing as evidenced by some of the responses here.

I get it that guys with no sense of humor and/or a closed mind are not going to engage me in an interesting discussion - although it may be an entertaining one.

EDIT - after thinking about it more, maybe "good natured rival ribbing" isn't quite what I was going for. Somebody up there posited it correctly - maybe it was you, wouldn't that be something - by the nature of my point of view, many of my opinions may be taken as contrarian by the a segment of posters on here. That same segment tends to react negatively to them. vide. my amalone post

Last edited:
you just proved 86 90s point with a subtle dig. im not subtle at all I do not care about anything you say. hows that for a sense of humor.

I post on BWI from time to time and feel Dice man is pretty tame towards Iowa on both sites. He is coming off a bit over the top in this thread and probably should just leave it be.

We dont really need to see a PSU vs Iowa prediction from him and have to sift through backhandled compliments. After all it is a thread about Brody Grothus not Penn State. Ussually when I post on BWI it's in a thread about Iowa.

Also Diceman.. Amalone is absolutely a toolbag. The hatred and filth that has come out of Him towards Iowa is beyond disgusting and pathetic. Don't come here to the Iowa board defending your boy Amalone. It makes you look bad.

So, not t o bring this topic back to the thread topic, but if Cooper is the starting 157, what are the expectations for him?

So, not t o bring this topic back to the thread topic, but if Cooper is the starting 157, what are the expectations for him?
I think it's is fair to temper one's expectations for Cooper at 157. He struggled there last year. He has good length and quickness but gets out of position sometimes and has a strength deficit against most 157 lbers. Could he make up ground on the competition between the end of last season and the beginning of next? Sure. But he was our third best 149 lber (although he was not far behind two excellent guys), and I don't see the competition at 157 being any easier.

Agree on Cooper. He definitely has talent, but would've been R12 at best last year even at 149. We'll have a hole at 141, 2 top-5 guys at 149, and a hole at 157.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

While I agree wholeheartedly with your quote that I bolded above...in this case, I think it even goes deeper than just not remembering the past in this case...I think it gets into a basic understanding of team strategy and gamesmanship.

As just one humble fan out here in the dark, if we get to mid-season next year and we are still trying to "sort out" who is at what weight and all the key players are aiming at each other at the same weight, etc. I will be quite let down with our coaching staff. (I know, I know, who cares what one anonymous guy thinks who doesn't know anything, etc...)

But the time to solve this dilemma is now...while there are still months to prepare, not at the Midlands, or wrestle offs, or before Big Tens, etc. I don't feel as though the coaches owe the fans an explanation at this point, but in my mind they sure better be making themselves clear to the parties involved(the wrestlers) or else we are likely to again, be looking at one or more "hole" weights in 2015-16...and we cannot afford that.

I am not fortunate enough to have any idea how D1 wrestling rooms operate. With that being said, it seems based on their interviews the Brands generally let guys choose what weight they want to try and wrestle at. At the same time I'm sure they sometimes make suggestions. Is this accurate?

Why do I feel that there all gunning for 149 again!? If Cooper puts in the work I feel he could do well next year at 157. If Grothus can make 141 he could be a beast. Put Sorenson at 149 and I think this is the strongest middle line up we can put out there with our current personal.

While I agree wholeheartedly with your quote that I bolded above...in this case, I think it even goes deeper than just not remembering the past in this case...I think it gets into a basic understanding of team strategy and gamesmanship.

As just one humble fan out here in the dark, if we get to mid-season next year and we are still trying to "sort out" who is at what weight and all the key players are aiming at each other at the same weight, etc. I will be quite let down with our coaching staff. (I know, I know, who cares what one anonymous guy thinks who doesn't know anything, etc...)

But the time to solve this dilemma is now...while there are still months to prepare, not at the Midlands, or wrestle offs, or before Big Tens, etc. I don't feel as though the coaches owe the fans an explanation at this point, but in my mind they sure better be making themselves clear to the parties involved(the wrestlers) or else we are likely to again, be looking at one or more "hole" weights in 2015-16...and we cannot afford that.
This must be done. As the last few years has shown, the competition @ individual weights is closer than ever, with younger wrestlers excelling earlier and earlier in their careers. Conditioning, for most, is now a given. Any advantage should be exploited and any potential obstacle (sorting out who is wrestling @ what weight) needs to be resolved expeditiously. I 100% agree that to wait and see how things "sort out" should no longer be part of the big picture going into the season.

Agreed, but how can you make a guy go for another weight? Wrestling is an individual sport and some kids may transfer if not allowed to go for the weight they feel is best.

As the head coach, I think you make it clear that a guy who placed 4th at Nationals and beat the defending national champ during the season as a freshman pretty much has a stranglehold on the top spot. You emphasize that the likelihood of beating that guy out is extremely small. That kid has earned the benefit of the doubt by winning most of the time when it mattered.

You don't necessarily force anyone to go at any specific weight class, but you make certain things very clear, and you encourage guys to do what's best for the team and for them. You make it clear that 141 is there for the taking if someone is willing to put in the work necessary to make the cut -- assuming that can be achieved safely and effectively. You say that the same is true for 157, for whoever is up for putting in the effort necessary to bulk up in the off-season. And hopefully, you communicate well enough with the guys that a plan can be agreed upon -- not through coercion, but through reaching a consensus -- so that you don't have three guys staying at 149, two guys moving up, or two guys making the cut.

IMO, if the head coach just leaves this kind of decision up to chance, he's not doing his job. Sorting out these three weights could be the difference between winning Nationals and not getting it done. Yes, the Hawks will be underdogs this season, but I'm sure not counting them out until the results are in next March. I think the firepower is there. The question is whether it gets deployed in the most effective manner.

I guess you don't get it. Unless you are extremely clear, your "posts" will be attacked, because you come here with an agenda that is not slanted towards the Hawkeye Point of View.

You are, by default, critical of our team, the history of the team, the fan base, the current program, the coaches ect.--all by default, because you are a critic when you post here. Your compliments are often back-handed barbs, this has been pointed out in the recent past. Everything you say/post here on our board is smothered in that patina. If you don't like it when someone "...misunderstood..." then that's on you. By the nature of this dynamic we won't see your views and opinions in the same light as you do because of what you are when you post on our site.

Stick to basic facts and you may get less resistance here if you choose to continue to post. Otherwise, your opinions will be viewed by the majority of readers here for what they are-- the views from a critic of the program we support.
What in the heck is the "Hawkeye Point of View? Is this a new wrestling forum or just something you conjured up? Instead of using the word, "patina", I like using the word, "shallow.

not long ago the big problem was brands causing burn out, cutting weight was my biggest cause of being burnt out on wrestling. now we suggest brody go on an 8 month cut. idk

not long ago the big problem was brands causing burn out, cutting weight was my biggest cause of being burnt out on wrestling. now we suggest brody go on an 8 month cut. idk

I admit, I do not know if it is feasible for Grothus to get down to 141 and still be effective and healthy. But, I am assuming a senior could accomplish this for what...3 months of his life at the end of his college career. Again, it may not be achievable, BUT my point is that if we are letting everyone make up their own mind entirely and we end with two, or even three, top quality wrestlers at a given weight and no top quality options at surrounding weights...we really are being foolish...IMHO.

Reactions: Krupnyakov
Think this needs to be the line up next year for us to make a run.
125 Gilman
133 Clark
141 Grothus
149 Sorenson
157 Cooper
165 Paddock/Rhodes
174 Meyer
184 Brooks
197 Burak
285 Stoll

As the head coach, I think you make it clear that a guy who placed 4th at Nationals and beat the defending national champ during the season as a freshman pretty much has a stranglehold on the top spot. You emphasize that the likelihood of beating that guy out is extremely small. That kid has earned the benefit of the doubt by winning most of the time when it mattered.

You don't necessarily force anyone to go at any specific weight class, but you make certain things very clear, and you encourage guys to do what's best for the team and for them. You make it clear that 141 is there for the taking if someone is willing to put in the work necessary to make the cut -- assuming that can be achieved safely and effectively. You say that the same is true for 157, for whoever is up for putting in the effort necessary to bulk up in the off-season. And hopefully, you communicate well enough with the guys that a plan can be agreed upon -- not through coercion, but through reaching a consensus -- so that you don't have three guys staying at 149, two guys moving up, or two guys making the cut.

IMO, if the head coach just leaves this kind of decision up to chance, he's not doing his job. Sorting out these three weights could be the difference between winning Nationals and not getting it done. Yes, the Hawks will be underdogs this season, but I'm sure not counting them out until the results are in next March. I think the firepower is there. The question is whether it gets deployed in the most effective manner.
That has all been done and was publicly discussed last season. You still have the dilemma that you can't make a guy go a certain weight. You can lead a horse to water etc. Brody would have never certified 141 last year had he not known options. It also doesn't address kids have the right to leave if they are dead set on a certain weight. Making a suggestion that the decision is left up to chance is pretty silly.

Last edited:
125 Gilman
133 Clark
141 Grothus
149 Sorenson
157 Cooper
165 Paddock/Rhodes
174 Meyer
184 Brooks
197 Burak
285 Stoll
I think so to but that doesn't change the fact that the coaches can't make that happen. The ones doing the cutting and work have to physically be able to manage the weight and be willing to make that sacrifice. None of us even know if that's possible for Brody, but some want to indict the coaches if it doesn't happen :rolleyes:

It's TNT's job to win team championships, which means maximizing team points, which means optimizing the lineup to do so. The buck stops with them.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
That has all been done and was publicly discussed last season. You still have the dilemma that you can't make a guy go a certain weight. You can lead a horse to water etc. Brody would have never certified 141 last year had he not known options. It also doesn't address kids have the right to leave if they are dead set on a certain weight. Making a suggestion that the decision is left up to chance is pretty silly.

Where did I suggest that the decision is left up to chance? I didn't. I said that if it is, the coach isn't doing his job. In other words, I hope that's not what Tom does. I never said I thought that was what he was doing.

You're stating the obvious. I'm saying how I think the head coach should handle things. Of course the guy can't force anyone to wrestle a certain weight. Of course guys can leave. It happens all the time. But a head coach can be smart and communicate well with his guys, making sure they understand how they can maximize the chance of reaching their personal and team goals. Hopefully that's happening.

And I don't recall any public discussion of exactly how the 141/149/157 situation was handled by the coaching staff last season. There was lots of speculation, as there has been already this year. If there was a public discussion of exactly what was said to the potential 141, 149, and 157-pounders last season, I missed it. I'm not talking about generalities. I'm talking about exactly how it was handled -- who was told precisely what. If there was a public discussion of that, I sure didn't see it.

I think so to but that doesn't change the fact that the coaches can't make that happen. The ones doing the cutting and work have to physically be able to manage the weight and be willing to make that sacrifice. None of us even know if that's possible for Brody, but some want to indict the coaches if it doesn't happen :rolleyes:

Again, stating the obvious. If you're referring to my post, you're misinterpreting it again. But don't let what was actually said get in the way of criticizing other fans for things they didn't say.

To use your analogy, of course you can't make the horse drink. However, you can make sure you've done everything in your power to bring him to the water. I hope that's happening in Iowa City.

Reactions: TarpHawk
125 Gilman
133 Clark
141 Grothus
149 Sorenson
157 Cooper
165 Paddock/Rhodes
174 Meyer
184 Brooks
197 Burak
285 Stoll

They don't allow you to have two wrestlers at the same weight.

Again, stating the obvious. If you're referring to my post, you're misinterpreting it again. But don't let what was actually said get in the way of criticizing other fans for things they didn't say.

To use your analogy, of course you can't make the horse drink. However, you can make sure you've done everything in your power to bring him to the water. I hope that's happening in Iowa City.
I am not talking about you specifically so please don't take my posts personally I can about guarantee the coaches would love to see Brody at 141. Some posters are making damning remarks before the season even starts, and without even knowing if Brody can make the weight. The Off season sucks from a fan perspective.

Where did I suggest that the decision is left up to chance? I didn't. I said that if it is, the coach isn't doing his job. In other words, I hope that's not what Tom does. I never said I thought that was what he was doing.

You're stating the obvious. I'm saying how I think the head coach should handle things. Of course the guy can't force anyone to wrestle a certain weight. Of course guys can leave. It happens all the time. But a head coach can be smart and communicate well with his guys, making sure they understand how they can maximize the chance of reaching their personal and team goals. Hopefully that's happening.

And I don't recall any public discussion of exactly how the 141/149/157 situation was handled by the coaching staff last season. There was lots of speculation, as there has been already this year. If there was a public discussion of exactly what was said to the potential 141, 149, and 157-pounders last season, I missed it. I'm not talking about generalities. I'm talking about exactly how it was handled -- who was told precisely what. If there was a public discussion of that, I sure didn't see it.
Certainly the "middle weights" situation was cloudy going into last year, specifically at 149. That is most definitely not the case in 2015, and unless Sorensen gains weight unexpectedly, it won't be changing. If Cooper and Grothus don't have clear paths set well before November at a weight other than 149, they'll be watching Brandon Sorensen compete, same as the rest of us.

I would go so far as to say Brandon has the biggest upside of anyone currently on Iowa's roster. The kid is ROCK SOLID in every position, there is no one in the country at 149 that he can't beat. He needs to open it up from his feet. Few can ride him for long, so take a chance. IF he's able to do that, sky's the limit.

Certainly the "middle weights" situation was cloudy going into last year, specifically at 149. That is most definitely not the case in 2015, and unless Sorensen gains weight unexpectedly, it won't be changing. If Cooper and Grothus don't have clear paths set well before November at a weight other than 149, they'll be watching Brandon Sorensen compete, same as the rest of us.

I would go so far as to say Brandon has the biggest upside of anyone currently on Iowa's roster. The kid is ROCK SOLID in every position, there is no one in the country at 149 that he can't beat. He needs to open it up from his feet. Few can ride him for long, so take a chance. IF he's able to do that, sky's the limit.

Everyone agrees with that sentiment here. Sorenson took 4th as a Freshmen and both of the finalists at his weight have exhausted their eligibility.

However, in the team perspective it is a different story. This team is very much in the thick of things for a team title (especially with the news that Snyder is taking a redshirt, helping Burak at 197 and crushing tOSU's chances of repeating in one fell swoop). The team is not bringing home the title though with no production from 141 and 157.

Iowa has 4 guys who will open the year ranked in the top 3 at their weight classes (Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, and Burak), they have another 2 guys who I expect to be firmly in the AA hunt in Meyer and Brooks, and then Sam Stoll, who is a wildcard. I recently read in a post on another forum that he is the highest ranked recruit Iowa has picked up at heavyweight since Mocco, I don't know the validity of that, can anyone confirm that? I know Telford was #19 and I know Stoll was #14, but I don't know about anyone in between. Either way the expectations for Stoll are set moderately high, even at the heavyweight class which is notoriously hard to project from High School to College. Think about this, the only two guys on the Iowa wrestling team that have qualified for an Olympic Redshirt are Thomas Gilman and Sam Stoll. I know it has not been seen yet, but he has a lot of potential.

That leaves 3 weight classes: 141, 157, 165. You can win a championship with one or two non productive weights, but 3 or 4 is really pushing it, unless you have some bonus points machine ala Logan Stieber, Ed Ruth, or David Taylor. This team is too close to a title, all the stops need to be taken out. TnT need to find a way to get Sorensen and Grothus into the lineup where they will both be successful (even if it means sitting Brody in several duals so he doesn't have to make 141 all the time, which I would normally be against), or putting him on a weight training program, designed to get bigger and getting stronger to compete at 157. This is a decision that needs to be made well in advance of the season, so Grothus can get his body to where it needs to be to get himself on the podium. TnT need to step in and explain that a wrestle off just prior to the season does no good for the team and get those two figured out as soon as possible.

Heck, the team is so close that I would even be okay will pulling Kemerer out of his redshirt, if the coaches think he can be productive now, EDIT: Kemerer is wrestling 152 this week at NHSCA duals.

Last edited:
I don't expect Stoll to come out and do as well as Adam Coon did off the bat. He will win most of his matches and be close with the top guys. A low AA is possible this year but I expect he will be much more dominate his sophomore year. Kemerer went 152 at the duals and did pretty well. Cooper is wrestling 154 this weekend at universities so I hope that means he is working toward putting on weigh to wrestle 157 next year.

Everyone agrees with that sentiment here. Sorenson took 4th as a Freshmen and both of the finalists at his weight have exhausted their eligibility.

However, in the team perspective it is a different story. This team is very much in the thick of things for a team title (especially with the news that Snyder is taking a redshirt, helping Burak at 197 and crushing tOSU's chances of repeating in one fell swoop). The team is not bringing home the title though with no production from 141 and 157.

Iowa has 4 guys who will open the year ranked in the top 3 at their weight classes (Gilman, Clark, Sorensen, and Burak), they have another 2 guys who I expect to be firmly in the AA hunt in Meyer and Brooks, and then Sam Stoll, who is a wildcard. I recently read in a post on another forum that he is the highest ranked recruit Iowa has picked up at heavyweight since Mocco, I don't know the validity of that, can anyone confirm that? I know Telford was #19 and I know Stoll was #14, but I don't know about anyone in between. Either way the expectations for Stoll are set moderately high, even at the heavyweight class which is notoriously hard to project from High School to College. Think about this, the only two guys on the Iowa wrestling team that have qualified for an Olympic Redshirt are Thomas Gilman and Sam Stoll. I know it has not been seen yet, but he has a lot of potential.

That leaves 3 weight classes: 141, 157, 165. You can win a championship with one or two non productive weights, but 3 or 4 is really pushing it, unless you have some bonus points machine ala Logan Stieber, Ed Ruth, or David Taylor. This team is too close to a title, all the stops need to be taken out. TnT need to find a way to get Sorensen and Grothus into the lineup where they will both be successful (even if it means sitting Brody in several duals so he doesn't have to make 141 all the time, which I would normally be against), or putting him on a weight training program, designed to get bigger and getting stronger to compete at 157. This is a decision that needs to be made well in advance of the season, so Grothus can get his body to where it needs to be to get himself on the podium. TnT need to step in and explain that a wrestle off just prior to the season does no good for the team and get those two figured out as soon as possible.

Heck, the team is so close that I would even be okay will pulling Kemerer out of his redshirt, if the coaches think he can be productive now, which is a long shot in my opinion since Kemerer is wrestling 145 this week at NHSCA duals. Which solidifies in my mind that he is a 149 as well right now.
"Heck, the team is so close that I would even be okay will pulling Kemerer out of his redshirt, if the coaches think he can be productive now, which is a long shot in my opinion since Kemerer is wrestling 145 this week at NHSCA duals. Which solidifies in my mind that he is a 149 as well right now"

Kemerer wrestled at 152 for the NHSCA duals this weekend. I seem to recall watching at least 1 match on Flo where they had his weight at 160. I'm not sure if that was correct though.

"Heck, the team is so close that I would even be okay will pulling Kemerer out of his redshirt, if the coaches think he can be productive now, which is a long shot in my opinion since Kemerer is wrestling 145 this week at NHSCA duals. Which solidifies in my mind that he is a 149 as well right now"

Kemerer wrestled at 152 for the NHSCA duals this weekend. I seem to recall watching at least 1 match on Flo where they had his weight at 160. I'm not sure if that was correct though.

Somehow I missed that. You are correct. It is plus 3 pounds I believe as well, so that is 155. Maybe he competes at 157 as early as this next year. I still think Redshirting is the wisest choice, but if the team title can be had and Kemerer is the best option available, then I think you have to go with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT