ADVERTISEMENT

Burglary charges filed....

All the participants have been released from the program - source Cody Goodwin from The Daily Iowan just tweeted out.

Just a shame. Would of loved to see how Gross would have turned out. Wonder if he has a chance to work his way back - sorry just thinking out loud. Best of luck to the young men.

best of luck to them. Hope they get their stuff together and turn things around.

amazing differences in sports and conferences... can you imagine a fb player at an SEC school, who did this, being cut loose? Heck this is small potatoes compared to some of the serous things those dudes down there have done and stayed and played. That being said, more power to T&T for stepping up.

The instances of highly rated recruits who don't pan out for the Iowa program or fail to live up to expectations for one reason or another are becoming disturbingly frequent.

Slaton, skon, baldosaro, anyone named ballweg or Moore, Carew, dziewa, berge, marlin, gross, just off the top of my head.

amazing differences in sports and conferences... can you imagine a fb player at an SEC school, who did this, being cut loose? Heck this is small potatoes compared to some of the serous things those dudes down there have done and stayed and played. That being said, more power to T&T for stepping up.

If this was Okie State, Tom would now go talk the County attorney into dropping the charges. The boys would get counseling and be reinstated before the season starts. Glad that isn't the case and they were removed from the team and will be held accountable for their actions.

I sure hope Topher Carton is ready to go this year. To me it looks like a huge hole.

If this was Okie State, Tom would now go talk the County attorney into dropping the charges. The boys would get counseling and be reinstated before the season starts. Glad that isn't the case and they were removed from the team and will be held accountable for their actions.

I sure hope Topher Carton is ready to go this year. To me it looks like a huge hole.

You always spew this nonsense! If you think Coach Smith has any pull in sooner dominated Oklahoma County you are off your rocker. Why compare this to another situation, especially one that is not comparable. These kids made a mistake and hopefully they can turn things around.

Reactions: Jaybird319
Does anyone think this could end up like the Montell Marion situation where the wrestlers are kicked out and later let back on the team? Or are these charges significantly worse than what Marion did? It's been too long so I don't remember the specifics of that situation.

Next man up.
Yep. At this point it is what it is. From the looks of things I don't think you'll ever see any of these youngsters in Black and Gold again (maybe a bit presumptuous on my part - I guess right now they are charged, not convicted) . Damn shame either way.

None were guaranteed a thing regardless, but obviously not a good thing for the depth of the squad. Time for Carton or someone to grab the bull by the horns....................

A real shame, I honestly don't know if these two would beat out Carton or not next year but they certainly had more long term potential. The sad thing is not of them needed the shit they took. A steep price to pay for a drunken St. Pats night. I wonder how long the goofs will take to suggest bringing Gross on board up there. Never mind they mocked him for getting in trouble here.

You always spew this nonsense! If you think Coach Smith has any pull in sooner dominated Oklahoma County you are off your rocker. Why compare this to another situation, especially one that is not comparable. These kids made a mistake and hopefully they can turn things around.

Explain to me how a kid gets caught, in a bar with coke in his pocket and the charges are dropped.
I can see getting convicted and completing counseling and getting a deferred sentence. But never have I seen the charges dropped when they have all the evidence and a witness that saw him with it and called the cops.

Reactions: PackerHawk51
If Grothus could go down it would not have mattered what any of these guys did.

Explain to me how a kid gets caught, in a bar with coke in his pocket and the charges are dropped.
I can see getting convicted and completing counseling and getting a deferred sentence. But never have I seen the charges dropped when they have all the evidence and a witness that saw him with it and called the cops.

If I remember correctly, and granted this is just what I have pieced together, the guy who called the cops and fingered Eddie was under surveillance as a drug dealer and the very next week he was caught selling or dealing coke.
It sounded like he was close to getting caught and planted the stuff on a drunken Eddie and let him take the fall. It was awful suspicious that the person who turned him in was under suspicion and then caught the next week.

Crazier things have happened. Also, I think it is common knowledge among the kids on the team if another kid is using coke or just a drinker or a pot smoker. I am guessing that a lot of kids on the team stuck up for Eddie and let it be known that this is not his typical behavior. John Smith probably stepped up for the kid.

Either way, he seemed to clean his act up and got on the stand this year. Sounds like he is moving in the right direction.

Yes, lets not compare this to other situations on other programs. It just looks bad on our part and does us no good anyway. You don't build yourself up by knocking others. We had kids doing something completely ignorant and they got caught. I don't know any of them but from all I've read on Gross he was a top notch type of kid, I hope this was not their normal character and they can rebuild their reputation and move on by learning from it.

This is when we start that futile exercise of comparing their punishment to every other punishment given to other student athletes. Every situation is different. I trust Tom. What other college coaches do with their problem athletes is their choice. These kids screwed up really bad. It shouldn't ruin their lives, but it likely ends their Hawkeye wrestling careers.

Reactions: winwithdignity
They majorly screwed up I am hoping they learn from this big mistake but I am not going to have sympathy for them for what very punishment they end up with.

Reactions: natchrlman
If I remember correctly, and granted this is just what I have pieced together, the guy who called the cops and fingered Eddie was under surveillance as a drug dealer and the very next week he was caught selling or dealing coke.
It sounded like he was close to getting caught and planted the stuff on a drunken Eddie and let him take the fall. It was awful suspicious that the person who turned him in was under suspicion and then caught the next week.

Crazier things have happened. Also, I think it is common knowledge among the kids on the team if another kid is using coke or just a drinker or a pot smoker. I am guessing that a lot of kids on the team stuck up for Eddie and let it be known that this is not his typical behavior. John Smith probably stepped up for the kid.

Either way, he seemed to clean his act up and got on the stand this year. Sounds like he is moving in the right direction.
You are correct, also Eddie was kicked off the team just like these 3 have been.When charge was dropped, reinstated on team. No difference other than this is a Iowa board and Eddie goes to OSU. Tom is doing exactly what John did. I'm sure if one or all 3 charged get dropped, they will be reinstated back on the team.

Last edited:
I highly doubt they would be allowed back no matter the circumstance. The type of crimes they are being charged with significantly diminish any trust factor. There aren't many acts worse than thievery. Especially when it is planned out. To willfully trespass and take from someone else stands out from many other college aged criminal "mistakes". This isn't like a DUI or a drunken brawl. Although the last 2 may have higher risk of serious personal injury, the pre-meditated intent to "hurt" often isn't there.

The factor that will most inevitably decide if there is even a sliver of a chance of their return is what they are eventually convicted of. They are now being charged with several felonies. Unless everything gets dropped to misdemeanors that can later basically be swept under the rug, these acts will follow them around for a very long time and severely limit any future opportunities in life.

A somewhat similar instance(stolen property in similar price range) happened with Marcel Dubose at CMU. I believe the conviction was for lessened charges. Although he never came back to CMU, he did end up wrestling later on with North Idaho and Triton Colleges. So it would most likely seem like their DI careers are over, but they definitely can right the ship and hopefully find a way to continue to wrestle.

There are so many first time unsupervised factors associated with attending College that allow/encourage the worst mistakes/decisions of many peoples lives.

1.)No direct parental supervision
2.)Alcohol
3.)Girls
4.)Alcohol and Girls.
5.)Vehicles and Alcohol

I truly believe mistakes and poor decisions are a necessity to creating a good person. I will never trust anyone who says they have never done anything illegal or immoral. These kids have a chance to "wake up" at an early enough age about what they can and can't do. Hopefully they can recover from this and end up better people from having to go through such an ordeal.

I wish them the best of luck as long as they truly show remorse.

Reactions: wamachie
Really MVPfan, you want to compare the two programs on whose guys are regularly getting in trouble?
A real shame, I honestly don't know if these two would beat out Carton or not next year but they certainly had more long term potential. The sad thing is not of them needed the shit they took. A steep price to pay for a drunken St. Pats night. I wonder how long the goofs will take to suggest bringing Gross on board up there. Never mind they mocked him for getting in trouble here.

Really MVPfan, you want to compare the two programs on whose guys are regularly getting in trouble?

LOL dip stick, I did no such thing. I said not one word about rodent guys getting in trouble.

Still in shock about Gross. You check this kids out in twitter and some trouble viewing our can see coming. With Gross it was the opposite. Respectful and religious. Hope they learn from it. Its.not the end of their life however will need to plea.down to avoid a felony. A lot easier to get a job later.in life.explaining a misdemeanor.

I'd guess d1 days are done and wouldn't shock me to see 1or 2 of them surface at grand view in a couple years. Would a Wartburg or Augsburg take one of them in? I'm not sure how d3 tolerates criminal records but they are private?

Reactions: thom67
Just dumb. Glad TnT did the right thing and suspended them immediately and kicked them off the team now. Hope they get their lives together.

Have to wonder how much TnT knew about the situation right after it happened. At the party after finals when he brought the team up he called out for Logan Ryan to come up.

Bottom line is Grothus needs to cut down to 141. Cutting down a weight mid season is a lot different than having a whole year to work your way down. If he was within a couple lbs cutting in the middle of the year than he can make this cut. There have been many guys make bigger sacrifice for this team.

At 157 he is going to be undersized in a brutal weight. At 141 he will be huge at a much weaker weight. It is his last year if he wants a shot at a title he needs to be at 141.

Bottom line is Grothus needs to cut down to 141. Cutting down a weight mid season is a lot different than having a whole year to work your way down. If he was within a couple lbs cutting in the middle of the year than he can make this cut. There have been many guys make bigger sacrifice for this team.

At 157 he is going to be undersized in a brutal weight. At 141 he will be huge at a much weaker weight. It is his last year if he wants a shot at a title he needs to be at 141.
I don't disagree. But after his crash he may have started to build up to 157. Guess will see what he decides.

Philosophically I'm with Grothus cutting to 141. He wasn't capable of doing it two weeks before B1G. Is he capable of doing it if he starts now? He's got one shot to be an AA, let alone a NC. I can see the path at 141 (other than Retheford). I don't see the path at 157. The idea of Grothus going toe-to-toe with IMar...whew.

Reactions: andegre
Fairly confident in saying we have a better chance of seeing Slaton at 141 than we do Grothus.

Philosophically I'm with Grothus cutting to 141. He wasn't capable of doing it two weeks before B1G. Is he capable of doing it if he starts now? He's got one shot to be an AA, let alone a NC. I can see the path at 141 (other than Retheford). I don't see the path at 157. The idea of Grothus going toe-to-toe with IMar...whew.
I heard Zain is going 149. Anyone confirm that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT