ADVERTISEMENT

Can we all agree Michigan has the best helmet in Big Ten?

Maybe the most recognizable, but not the best. I like Iowa's helmets the best in the Big Ten. Maryland has the worst, no matter which one they wear.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
5667983882_413388e4ea_b.jpg

Reactions: IACentralHawk73
Nope! What the heck does it have to do with a wolverine? Looks like someone challenged a group of 1st graders to a finger painting contest and that was the best of the worst.....I would say Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin before Michigan....JMO.....

Nope! What the heck does it have to do with a wolverine? Looks like someone challenged a group of 1st graders to a finger painting contest and that was the best of the worst.....I would say Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin before Michigan....JMO.....
No part of me believes you honestly think this.

Michigan doesn't even have the best helmet in the state. I'll take sparty over theirs any day.

The Michigan helmet design was made to help the qb judge throwing depths. There is some science involved with it. It has nothing to do with a wolverine.

Big Ten's not really a league like the Big 12 or Pac-12 that worries how they look on the field. (Exception might be OSU)

Did Delaware invent the Michigan helmet design, or was someone using it before them? Several other schools have used that design in the past.

Ranking the helmets:

1. Iowa- unique tigerhawk logo meshing with black and gold(yellow) helmet

2. Michigan- iconic design that was first worn in college football by Princeton in 1935, more on that later

3. Ohio State- at the start of the season, it's just a bland gray helmet with a red stripe with black and white trim...but by the end of the season, few other helmets are as recognizable as an Ohio State helmet chalk full of Buckeye stickers.....although the ones that are half-full look kinda awkward.

4. Michigan State- popularized the classic spartan logo after ditching the block S. A little tidbit about them and their rival Michigan to follow.

5. Wisconsin- brought about the waving W that Waukee even used for a time until the Badgers claimed copyright.....

6. Nebraska- nothing strikes fear into the hearts of men like a plain white helmet with a single red stripe and a thin red capital N on the side.............yeah....

7. Penn State- nothing strikes fear into the hearts of men like a plain white helmet with a single navy blue stripe..........................

8. Minnesota- unique M style logo that would look better in more brownish and gold(yellow) colors instead of maroon. They are the gophers after all. It's like Georgia Tech all of the sudden hammering home the fact that their school colors are actually navy blue and gold even though black works so much better with their uniforms, being the friggin Yellow Jackets. They also played better football when they had black instead of thinly visible traces of navy blue, if you catch the light just at the right angle.....

9. Purdue- popularized the slanted P logo. When you see that, you think Purdue.....or Friday Night Lights, which in my case of seeing that movie for the first time, I thought, "oh hey...they copied Purdue. I don't like this movie." And I never watched it again..........but not because they copied Purdue's helmets. Because it just wasn't that good. And Texas football arrogance is insufferable.

10. Indiana- classic I-U logo on the red helmets. Actually not too bad on the whites either. Not sure wtf they were thinking in the late 90s and early 2000s. But hey it's Indiana football.

11. Illinois- They've had a few different versions in the past couple of decades. I personally don't mind them although I like the ILLINOIS logo they had until about 2010-ish better than the overstuffed 'I' they use now.

12. Rutgers- red helmet with a giant white R......meh. But hey they do have chrome helmets for special occasions! #pleasecometoRutgerswe'redesperateforrecruits

13. Northwestern- purple helmet with a distinctive white N that I'll give them credit for................but still, blech

14. Maryland- I'd probably have them higher if they could decide wtf their helmet design actually was. I think they have more helmet combinations than Oregon.........that's not a compliment.

Ranking the helmets:

1. Iowa- unique tigerhawk logo meshing with black and gold(yellow) helmet

2. Michigan- iconic design that was first worn in college football by Princeton in 1935, more on that later

3. Ohio State- at the start of the season, it's just a bland gray helmet with a red stripe with black and white trim...but by the end of the season, few other helmets are as recognizable as an Ohio State helmet chalk full of Buckeye stickers.....although the ones that are half-full look kinda awkward.

4. Michigan State- popularized the classic spartan logo after ditching the block S. A little tidbit about them and their rival Michigan to follow.

5. Wisconsin- brought about the waving W that Waukee even used for a time until the Badgers claimed copyright.....

6. Nebraska- nothing strikes fear into the hearts of men like a plain white helmet with a single red stripe and a thin red capital N on the side.............yeah....

7. Penn State- nothing strikes fear into the hearts of men like a plain white helmet with a single navy blue stripe..........................

8. Minnesota- unique M style logo that would look better in more brownish and gold(yellow) colors instead of maroon. They are the gophers after all. It's like Georgia Tech all of the sudden hammering home the fact that their school colors are actually navy blue and gold even though black works so much better with their uniforms, being the friggin Yellow Jackets. They also played better football when they had black instead of thinly visible traces of navy blue, if you catch the light just at the right angle.....

9. Purdue- popularized the slanted P logo. When you see that, you think Purdue.....or Friday Night Lights, which in my case of seeing that movie for the first time, I thought, "oh hey...they copied Purdue. I don't like this movie." And I never watched it again..........but not because they copied Purdue's helmets. Because it just wasn't that good. And Texas football arrogance is insufferable.

10. Indiana- classic I-U logo on the red helmets. Actually not too bad on the whites either. Not sure wtf they were thinking in the late 90s and early 2000s. But hey it's Indiana football.

11. Illinois- They've had a few different versions in the past couple of decades. I personally don't mind them although I like the ILLINOIS logo they had until about 2010-ish better than the overstuffed 'I' they use now.

12. Rutgers- red helmet with a giant white R......meh. But hey they do have chrome helmets for special occasions! #pleasecometoRutgerswe'redesperateforrecruits

13. Northwestern- purple helmet with a distinctive white N that I'll give them credit for................but still, blech

14. Maryland- I'd probably have them higher if they could decide wtf their helmet design actually was. I think they have more helmet combinations than Oregon.........that's not a compliment.
Iowa is decent, but after seeing all these high school teams with damp logo it does nothing for me. Iowa is top 5 for sure

Whoops, forgot the sidenote about Michigan's helmets....

The famed winged helmets were invented by Fritz Crisler, who was of course a Hall of Fame football coach and would later have Michigan's basketball arena named after him. However, he first used them when he was the coach at Princeton from 1935-1937. So 1935 was the first documented use of what is now the iconic logo Michigan, Princeton and Delaware use.

Crisler then took the design with him when he became Michigan's head coach in 1938. He felt that the design, along with the addition of different colors on the helmets, would help QBs differentiate between receiver and defender.

Delaware later adopted them when a former Michigan player, who was coached by Crisler, took over the head job.

Princeton, meanwhile, actually stopped using the winged helmets after Crisler left, but revived them as a permanent addition in 1998.

As for the design itself, there are several documented accounts of teams using variations of the "winged helmet" design before Crisler invented the now-iconic look, ranging from pro teams to Michigan's instate rival Michigan State. Just think, Sparty could've been the ones to popularize the winged design (albeit a different one) and not Michigan.....;)

Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3t. Penn State
3t. Nebraska
5. Iowa
6. Sparty
7. Wisconsin
8. Purdue
9. Maryland
10. Minnesota
11. NW
12. Rutgers

No part of me believes you honestly think this.
Believe it. I never have liked Michigan's helmet. I can't believe you think there are people that don't like the Michigan helmet. There are those I dislike more, for instance Maryland's , but Michigan's design does nothing for me....

Probably most like the helmet of their favorite team first. I do and that is the Hawks helmet. I would make one minor tweak and take off the gold stripe down the middle and have a black helmet with the yellow/gold Tigerhawk on each side and the uniform number in white lettering on the back. Still our helmet is awesome the way it is.

1) Iowa (No one is even CLOSE!!)
2) Indiana - Silver is good - Others are a bit iffy
3) Michigan
4) Ohio State
5) Wisconsin
6) Rutgers - That R is pretty cool
7) Illinois
8) Purdue
9) Maryland - It is fun to see what they're coming out with each week
10) Northwestern - The N sucks but it is sooooooooo much better than Nebby's.
11) Minnesota (Worst M font since the invention of the English language)
12) Penn State (Looks like a cheap middle school helmet. Screw Tradition & Jerry Sandusky)
13) Michigan State (That tapered stripe completely ruins an otherwise great helmet)
14) Nebraska (Worst N I've ever seen!! Nothing short of awful.)

Back in the way olden days, helmets were made of leather. It had raised leather straps running from front to back. Michigan painted the helmets blue and the leather strips maize..that's how they got those helmets..had nothing to do with wolves or wolverines...and it is probably the most recognized helmet in football whether we like them of not.

Back in the way olden days, helmets were made of leather. It had raised leather straps running from front to back. Michigan painted the helmets blue and the leather strips maize..that's how they got those helmets..had nothing to do with wolves or wolverines...and it is probably the most recognized helmet in football whether we like them of not.
Great story. I bet most did not know that fact.

None the less I really don't like Michigan.

If the Michigan football program historically stunk, way, way fewer people would be enamored with their helmets.

Also, look at the markings on a real wolverine's head/face. Very similar pattern to the helmet.

I remember Jamie Morris said he actually chose Michigan because of their helmets.

Idk, maybe the guy is pretty smart but he didn't come off sounding like a real academician on that one.

1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3t. Penn State
3t. Nebraska
5. Iowa
6. Sparty
7. Wisconsin
8. Purdue
9. Maryland
10. Minnesota
11. NW
12. Rutgers
There is no way Nebraskas ugly helmet is ahead of Iowa. It is a red N. Nothing else

Realizing you are most assuredly a CornHusker fan, it isn't surprising you can't separate reality from your myopic view of history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT