ADVERTISEMENT

Can we fire him now?

The twins were not that highly recruited and they went to Iowa because of their dad. Giving Fran credit for that is crazy. No way he foresaw the players they would turn into. Hell, he thought his own kid was better for awhile.

I give Fran credit for taking both Murrays...that closed the deal. Most schools only wanted Keegan and didn't have 2 open scholarships. Fran had two open scholarships because he nearly always has unused schollies he banks + he whiffed on all his other big targets. The Murray connection to Iowa was why Iowa got right of 1st refusal---not Fran the coach. My thinking at the time was taking both would either be a genius move or a blunder, but at least I was happy the two twins were athletic...not Fran's typical lanky, slow guy. PMAC is what Fran thought was an Ideal SF in his system and I suppose that is part of the reason PMAC ended up floating around the perimeter, basket hanging, jacking up 3's or fadeaways, afraid of contact.

Of course once Fran got both Murrays---he blew it and put both his boys ahead of them. NCAA tourney story should have been abou the twins playing together at the PF and SF spot. I think they ended up being on the court together at same time less than 30 minutes of gametime for their careers. PMAC and CMAC on otherhand...

I’m not sure anyone can make an argument that he should stay that would convince me. He either doesn’t care or is just a shitty coach. And I think he cares.
Next year, while unfortunate, is gonna be a lame-duck year. Fran will probably get 2024-2025 to prove he should stay, and then they will move on if we don't show any progress.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Iowa move on from him even if we make the NCAA Tournament next year, if it's a similar situation to this year where we're scratching and clawing at metrics and if you look at just the right angle you can see why they'd be a Tournament team.......

The only problem with waiting too long nowadays is the fact that the transfer portal has f***ed everything up.

Iowa can no longer afford to wait until the end of March to get rid of a coach because that new staff will have so much to get started on in terms of recruiting.........and that's BEFORE the NCAA Tournament is even close to ending.

Of course once Fran got both Murrays---he blew it and put both his boys ahead of them. NCAA tourney story should have been abou the twins playing together at the PF and SF spot. I think they ended up being on the court together at same time less than 30 minutes of gametime for their careers. PMAC and CMAC on otherhand...
And this alone should've gotten him fired. But Barta loved him some Fran and extended him unnecessarily, so now we are stuck with a shitty coach for another couple of years that will never change. Horary for us!

Last night I was watching the women and hearing how loud Carver was (as it has been all year with the WOMEN). The MEN, well, we all know the story there. One sellout vs Illinois. How can Carver go from a funeral atmosphere to a Rock concert? We all know the answer: it’s the product we put out. THAT, in itself should be a reason Fran should be let go. New motto: Play defense and they will come…. Lol. Expect the same next year.
Illinois may have sold out but lots of open seats

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Last night I was watching the women and hearing how loud Carver was (as it has been all year with the WOMEN). The MEN, well, we all know the story there. One sellout vs Illinois. How can Carver go from a funeral atmosphere to a Rock concert? We all know the answer: it’s the product we put out. THAT, in itself should be a reason Fran should be let go. New motto: Play defense and they will come…. Lol. Expect the same next year.
Yes, I noticed that. Particularly that stretch in the 3rd when Iowa went on a run.. I remembered thinking to myself that I hadn't heard Carver that loud in a very long time.

Even in 2016, when Iowa beat #1 MSU at home, I distinctly remember Iowa started out hot, something like 14-4 to begin the game. The response from the crowd? Polite applause. The crowd eventually started waking up later in the game and made some noise, but still.. In the 1990s or earlier, that place would've been raucous from the opening tip, with a nationally televised game against #1. And this was 8 years ago.

The atmosphere for men's basketball has been crap for a long time. There is zero buzz around the program.

He won't be fired, he would step down. He's accomplished too much to be fired.
There are VERY, VERY FEW coaches out there who are absolutely untouchable and can walk away on their own terms no matter what....and FM (and KF) aren't among them. With Coach K and Saban retiring, that list may include Geno Auriemma, Cael Sanderson and no one else, although there may be other Olympic sport coaches who are ridiculously accomplished that I am unaware of.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
There are VERY, VERY FEW coaches out there who are absolutely untouchable and can walk away on their own terms no matter what....and FM (and KF) aren't among them. With Coach K and Saban retiring, that list may include Geno Auriemma, Cael Sanderson and no one else, although there may be other Olympic sport coaches who are ridiculously accomplished that I am unaware of.
Well Ferentz is 70, correct? We're pretty much letting him walk out on his own terms as far as I'm concerned. Looks to me like he's just dug in even harder. This is going to be an interesting year.

Yes, I noticed that. Particularly that stretch in the 3rd when Iowa went on a run.. I remembered thinking to myself that I hadn't heard Carver that loud in a very long time.

Even in 2016, when Iowa beat #1 MSU at home, I distinctly remember Iowa started out hot, something like 14-4 to begin the game. The response from the crowd? Polite applause. The crowd eventually started waking up later in the game and made some noise, but still.. In the 1990s or earlier, that place would've been raucous from the opening tip, with a nationally televised game against #1. And this was 8 years ago.

The atmosphere for men's basketball has been crap for a long time. There is zero buzz around the program.
I think there is a much younger crowd and more women in attendance for the women's games. I think that excitement probably has something to do with the crowd noise. More of a rock concert crowd in attendance.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Well Ferentz is 70, correct? We're pretty much letting him walk out on his own terms as far as I'm concerned. Looks to me like he's just dug in even harder. This is going to be an interesting year.
Well, KF did play GB like a fiddle, which is why he's lasted this long. However, while he is under contract through the 2029 season, people are crazy if they think that he can coast through the next 6 seasons and keep his job regardless of results. I do think he has 2 more seasons if he wants it (I think the same for FM), but he'll have to impress BG if he still wants the job in '26 IMO.

So how soon would we know if Fran is leaving. If something is in the works now between Beth and Fran, some kind of agreement. Not fired, but Fran walking away somehow. I would assume he would want to be looking for other opportunities soon, if he's decided to move on. Or, maybe not if he will take some time off, he has the money too I assume. Either way I hope it's before the NCAA tournament is over. With the portal situation, I would assume time is of the essense.

So how soon would we know if Fran is leaving. If something is in the works now between Beth and Fran, some kind of agreement. Not fired, but Fran walking away somehow. I would assume he would want to be looking for other opportunities soon, if he's decided to move on. Or, maybe not if he will take some time off, he has the money too I assume. Either way I hope it's before the NCAA tournament is over. With the portal situation, I would assume time is of the essense.
Final Four weekend is traditionally a time for AD's to be seeking out potential coaches, but as you said, the portal changes things a bit, and several coaches have already been hired away from their previous teams. I have my short list of guys still available out there if FM is indeed done at Iowa, although I don't think he is....

Reactions: Underscore2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT