ADVERTISEMENT

Christian Williams officially signs with Iowa

Sling son will not be anything but mop up. Too slow. I know he was hurt but not impressed with ball handling so just another stand still shooter. This will JO or worse.

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
I think we're all a bit confused as to how it is all going to fit together, but we are not the experts that are going to have to figure it out. Seems like we have an entire team in 2016 and beyond that is nothing but combo guards and wing forwards. It will be interesting to watch, but at this point I think Fran has earned the trust of the fanbase and even an understanding amongst most reasonable fans that they will COULD take some lumps over the next couple years.
Pemsl is neither a combo guard nor a wing forward.

Ed Horton was 6'8" and one of the better, and bigger, the of C/F types you will find. A truly rare beast. He also had 7' Lohaus on the floor with him and 6'8" 230 pound Al Lorentzen as a back up, also a very big and strong guy. No one on the roster next season is anything like Ed Horton.

Also,really big guys did give Ed some trouble.

Who will guard that enormous Hitler Youth looking uberman from Purdue when Woody isn't on the floor. Uthoff, gives up 3-5 inches and I can't even imagine the muscle weight. A typical MSU 6'9' ish center?

That is an ugly scenario.

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
Ed Horton was 6'8" and one of the better, and bigger, the of C/F types you will find. A truly rare beast. He also had 7' Lohaus on the floor with him and 6'8" 230 pound Al Lorentzen as a back up, also a very big and strong guy. No one on the roster next season is anything like Ed Horton.

Also,really big guys did give Ed some trouble.

Who will guard that enormous Hitler Youth looking uberman from Purdue when Woody isn't on the floor. Uthoff, gives up 3-5 inches and I can't even imagine the muscle weight. A typical MSU 6'9' ish center?

Let me help. 12-6 last year, no where near the doom you predicted. Take a deep breath and relax. A faster and more athletic player can always front a big post. Denial of the ball is the new defense since offensive players are allowed to ram their rears repeatedly into players and switch their pivot foot repeatedly.

Front them, deny the ball.

Originally posted by bravehawks1:
Sling son will not be anything but mop up. Too slow. I know he was hurt but not impressed with ball handling so just another stand still shooter. This will JO or worse.
Our head coach disagrees with you.

You don't even have enough sense to call him by his real name. Way to disrespect a good kid.

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:

First, Purdue's big won't play the whole game. Second, what may be more ugly is the Purdue big trying to guard JU on the perimeter. Why are folks always going out of their way to paint the ugly scenario?

Intelligence just oozes from this post!

Originally posted by BBHawk:

Originally posted by clickhere 01:

Originally posted by hooper56:
Ellingson can flat out shoot the rock and moves very well off the ball. he can hit a standstill three or hit it coming off a screen with a hand in his face. He will win some games for us.
What are you basing this on,his 21 minutes played and 8 shot attempts?
Not the OP but Ellingson shot over 48% from the 3 (86 of 179) and over 90% from the FT line as a senior in HS. He is a great shooter. The only question is whether he can do that on the college level. Based on the little I saw in his 21 minutes (4-6 from the 3), I would say the odds are good he will make a good percentage of the 3s he takes. The only question is whether he can defend well enough to be a B1G guard. But he definitely has skills.

This video shows him working out: https://vimeo.com/72143320. Strangely enough, I think his jump shot form looks a lot like that of a mostly hated ex Iowa coach when he was a college star...
While I agree with you and Hooper, you listed his Jr stats. From his signing day bio:

Ellingson is a three-year varsity starter for Hamilton High School in Sussex, Wis. Ellingson, who enters his senior season 184 points from becoming the school's all-time leading scorer, is a two-time Greater Metro Conference first team honoree, including being named the 2013 Greater Metro Conference Player of the Year. As a junior, Ellingson averaged 21.3 points per game and 3.5 rebounds per contest en route to being named first team all-state, all-area, all-suburban, and team co-MVP. The 6-foot-4, 181-pound shooting guard shot a school single-season record 48 percent (86-of-179) from 3-point territory while leading his team to a 21-3 record last season and its first conference title since 1979. His 511 points during the 2012-13 campaign rank as the second-most in school history, while his 437 points as a sophomore rank fourth at Hamilton HS. Ellingson also played AAU basketball for Ray Allen Select.

Hey, I will admit I broke this year. I have to avoid that depression when the shot of Hawkeye Heroin is strong enough.

But, I am hjoping for the best. Hard to deny the ball to a guy 5 inches taller....see 2009-2011.

I agree that a lot of teams will have some real match up problems with Uthoff. If Uthoff becomes a more consistent shooter he will be a major scorer next year, like 17-20 ppg major. We aren't the only team with potential match up worries.

My primary fear is getting killed inside on the boards when the big boys come to play hard.

Originally posted by hawkeyemark:
Originally posted by rillo 62:

Originally posted by BBHawk:

Originally posted by clickhere 01:

Ellingson can flat out shoot the rock and moves very well off the ball. he can hit a standstill three or hit it coming off a screen with a hand in his face. He will win some games for us.
What are you basing this on,his 21 minutes played and 8 shot attempts?
Not the OP but Ellingson shot over 48% from the 3 (86 of 179) and over 90% from the FT line as a senior in HS. He is a great shooter. The only question is whether he can do that on the college level. Based on the little I saw in his 21 minutes (4-6 from the 3), I would say the odds are good he will make a good percentage of the 3s he takes. The only question is whether he can defend well enough to be a B1G guard. But he definitely has skills.

This video shows him working out: https://vimeo.com/72143320. Strangely enough, I think his jump shot form looks a lot like that of a mostly hated ex Iowa coach when he was a college star...
I certainly hope you're right but i don't think high school stats do much to advance the narrative that he's a great shooter and win some games for us.

This post was edited on 4/16 4:39 PM by rillo 62
It certainly advances the notion that he played well and won games for his team at the level he played at against his peers. So it does seem reasonable to think that he has a good chance of shooting well at the college level as well even though we'll just have to see. I frankly don't get why so many fans dismiss Ellingson so very early in his career when he has barely played. It really doesn't make sense when what glimpses we have had he seems like a pretty decent player who can definitely shoot.
If there are fans dismissing him already, i agree,i don't get it either. It's ridiculous to write him off when he's played so little. That said, i'm also not gonna go to the other end of the spectrum and buy in to hoopers hyperbole for the same reasons. All we have is 21 minutes of mop-up duty against the Longwoods and Alcorn States of the world,plus some high school stats.

Put me in the camp that thinks Brady is going to light it up and be our best 3 point shooter since Gatens. He will be what we wanted Josh to be.

In the few minutes that I saw Ellingson play, it looked like he lacked the athleticism that Gatens and Ogelsby had. Hopefully, he works on that aspect of his game. You have to be able to play defense or all the offense in the world does not help the team.

Originally posted by bouma1415:
In the few minutes that I saw Ellingson play, it looked like he lacked the athleticism that Gatens and Ogelsby had. Hopefully, he works on that aspect of his game. You have to be able to play defense or all the offense in the world does not help the team.
Lets not ever put Gatens and Josh in the same sentence again. Gatens is a much better athlete. Josh is a poor shooter and can't play defense. His defense was just plain bad and the offense was a jumbled mess when he was in the game. Lets move on and not act like it is going out on a limb that Brady can have a bigger contribution than Josh. He +/- will probably be better as a frosh than the senior Josh.

The odds are starting to favor Iowa recruiting a really good shooter. We haven't signed one since Gatens. Oglesby never panned out as a reliable shooter and virtually disappeared from the offense this past season.

Eventually one of the kids will be a good shooter. Ellingson also played with a bad foot the few minutes he did play. My rule of thumb is never rely on a freshman and never count them out until you see them play some meaningful minutes in real games. Ellingson looked like he had a great shot, at least from mechanics. Josh O had a hitch in his shot that eventually disappeared and he tended to fall away while shooting also. Ellingson goes straight up with a very stable shooting platform and a good finish. Of course we have an even smaller sample of play for Ellingson than we have for Uhl, leaving Ellingson as just yet another big question mark.

Anyone that is a consistently good outside shooter is going to play on this Iowa squad because everyone from ball boys to the head coach knows Iowa needs to shoot better.

I sure didn't see enough of Ellingson this past year to learn much of anything about his shooting or the rest of his game. He had a reputation as a great shooter and clutch player coming out of HS. Fran will have a lot of wings to look at this fall to try to put together the best combinations on the court. I don't know where Ellingson will fit into the line ups, but he will get his shot. There is always room for a great shooter, especially one who steps up when needed.

I think it's been pretty well documented that there just aren't that many teams playing big anymore, even in the big ten.

Purdue is about it.

Msu and Wisconsins 4s were 6'6 and 6'7 .

I do think we need another 5 though.

Originally posted by RocknRollface:
I think it's been pretty well documented that there just aren't that many teams playing big anymore, even in the big ten.

Purdue is about it.

Msu and Wisconsins 4s were 6'6 and 6'7 .

I do think we need another 5 though.
When you talk about the size of Big's you need to consider more than height. Can we go smaller with the thin Big's Fran has shown a preference for?

MSU had 2 Big's that weighed in at 240 and 245, and Dawson who was freakishly strong. Wisconsin and Ohio State both had 3 Big's between 230 and 250, and Purdue 2 Big's between 250 and 300 pounds. Many B1G teams have forwards with more muscular frames than the forwards Fran has been recruiting. Without a true Center would Fran need more Big's with a bigger frame? I just don't think Fran could go smaller, and ignore the physical nature of the B1G.

The thing is, there is more than one way to skin the cat. Teams with these big guys might have a tough time matching up with speed and quickness. It goes both ways.

The thing is, there is more than one way to skin the cat. Teams with these big guys might have a tough time matching up with speed and quickness. It goes both ways.
It's a lot harder to skin a tomcat than a kitten. Speed and quickness are great, and we all are happy to see more long athletic players coming to Iowa. Add one or two brutes and a PG, and we will all be very happy.

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:
Put me in the camp that thinks Brady is going to light it up and be our best 3 point shooter since Gatens. He will be what we wanted Josh to be.
Problem is he's much smaller than Josh.

Im sure he can shoot when open but will he be able to get his shot off when defended, or get himself open. Will he be able to gaurd anyone.

To to me he looks like a freshman in high school not college.

Originally posted by RocknRollface:

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:
Problem is he's much smaller than Josh.

Im sure he can shoot when open but will he be able to get his shot off when defended, or get himself open. Will he be able to gaurd anyone.

To to me he looks like a freshman in high school not college.
Brady played in the Milwaukee Greater Metro League, so his 20+ PPG average in HS (and all time leading scorer title at his HS) says something about his ability to get open and score. He wasn't just a stand still 3 point shooter either. He scored quite a bit inside the arc.

I think the redshirt (hopefully) was a good thing, as he did come in pretty thin. If the foot problems are behind him I think he has a chance to be the shooter we desperately needed last year. How about seeing what he can do before we speculate he's ready to transfer like some have.

Your just getting old RocknRoll....

He doesn't look like a HS freshman to me. His shot is like Jerry West textbook perfect. Ellingson also showed a quick release when he was open, he goes straight up into his shot with a very efficient and straight up motion. No 9th grader has that form.

My friend in Milwaukee saw him a lot and said when he arrived here that we would love the shot but that he was still very skinny and would struggle on defense until he got stronger... but emphasized that we would love the shot. Based on limited floor time that's pretty much what we've seen.

Ellingson is listed at 6'4" and a skinny 188. Josh is listed as 6'5" and 200, although my guess is Josh is somewhat heavier. Oglesby is a 22 year old senior. We'll see how big Ellingson gets in five years in a B1G strength and conditioning program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT