ADVERTISEMENT

Clark has offer for 5 MILLION DOLLARS

I don't know how she can say no to that, although playing with men will certainly change the dynamic. That would be a risk on her part, but $5 million for 8-10 games is really hard to pass up. That doesn't include merchandising.
How long would it take to make that in WNBA?
Being the competitor she is she wants to play in WNBA.

$5,000,000 guaranteed.

she'd get "substantial additional compensation" from merchandising & sponsorships.

no more than 10 games.

won't affect playing in the WNBA.

no brainer.

Is this not in the summer? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it doesn't overlap with the WNBA since it starts in May

Reactions: BondHawk
How long would it take to make that in WNBA?
Being the competitor she is she wants to play in WNBA.
Well, the top salary in the WNBA right now is about $240,000 so it would take significantly longer than the average career to make that kind of money.

Is this not in the summer? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it doesn't overlap with the WNBA since it starts in May
It is geared to be in the off-season of the WNBA. I think there is basically 1 week where there would be a conflict.

If it's about the actual sport of basketball, professionalism, playing at the highest level of women's hoops, maintaining her athletic integrity, keeping on course for a potential spot on Team USA for the Olympics, etc...then quite obviously she'll politely and respectfully decline.

But if it's about financial windfall, she'd have to accept. It would be more money in 10 games than she'll make in 10-20 years in the WNBA. (its highest paid player in 2023 made just under $250k).

Reactions: BioHawk
And she would be the ONLY woman. Might be risky for her if they decide to "see whats she's made of playing against men". They said there would be a scheduling issue with 2 WNBA games, so the Fever might not be so inclined to let her "do both"....
Yeah the Fever would just hate all the publicity and attention 🙃 🙄

Please tell me you are being sarcastic here?
Just-kidding-some-of-the-data-that-was-previously-written-successfully-may-or-may-not-have-been-written---Including-but-not-limited-to-recent-external.jpg

I don't know the level of play in the Big 3, but if it's halfway decent, she won't be scoring 20 points a game unless they make the men play with the smaller ball and not allow anyone to body her up. It's a gimmick. Think Billie Jean King and the short out of shape 55 year old Bobbie Riggs who hadn't won a match in a major men's tournament since 1955 or 18 years before they played on TV.

For everyone that doesn't know about the Big3 - it is played on around a 40 ft long court. There is another similar thing too. One or both have 1 pt per basket and 2 for the current 3 pt line. And one of those leagues have a small circle at 30 feet or more dead center and 2 to the side at 40 degrees. Those shots are 4 pts. Also it is 3 on 3 and a half court game. Must less opportunity to get to full speed down the court, etc.

Yeah the Fever would just hate all the publicity and attention 🙃 🙄
She’s already known by basically anyone with an interest in sports. Is the publicity and attention good for the Fever if she gets absolutely dominated by a bunch of 40 year-old men? I would think that would be a set back to her brand and the WNBA.

If she wasn’t already raking in endorsement money, I could see her doing it but I think with how much she is making annually, I would advise against it. I think many people are underestimating the athleticism gap between men and women. I get the men are older but they are also former All-Stars. If they are actually playing hard, I’m not sure how it wouldn’t get out of hand.

Part of me thinks this offer is being made knowing that she will turn it down. Women can't seriously compete against men in this sport and I find it kind of rude to offer money to be embarrassed or be the weak link on a team. The whole "empowerment" spiel is a big deflection. However, if her guard comes off her to double the ball and she gets a dish, she could score some buckets that way.

Lol yah if they don't guard her she could make some shots.

I watched a video of a game. I think Caitlyn would have trouble. Playing against men that are 6'6 and just as quick as she is. Also they would just body her to oblivion. And with a men's ball, I think she maybe couldn't adjust without a LOT of work. Interesting concept tho. I had never heard of Big3 before, so they are going for publicity I guess. Could be a hard decision - ton of money vs her reputation, etc.
You think? She's 5'10, 150? 🤣😉

She couldn't dribble against these guys, much less get a shot off, if they press her hard.

Men compete versus men, women compete against women.

If it's about the actual sport of basketball, professionalism, playing at the highest level of women's hoops, maintaining her athletic integrity, keeping on course for a potential spot on Team USA for the Olympics, etc...then quite obviously she'll politely and respectfully decline.

But if it's about financial windfall, she'd have to accept. It would be more money in 10 games than she'll make in 10-20 years in the WNBA. (its highest paid player in 2023 made just under $250k).
The only caveat to that is if she manages to help grow the WNBA the way she did the college game. She could expect to make significantly more with future contracts than what the high end WNBA contracts are right now. But that is a pretty big gamble to do that. The thing is though, it's not like Caitlin is hard up for cash. She doesn't come from a poverty back ground so making the quick buck may not be as much of a priority as it is for other players. She can afford to say no. I don't know much about her family financial background but from what I gather she wouldn't be poor if basketball were not a thing in her life so she can be picky about what she does.

She couldn't dribble against these guys, much less get a shot off, if they press her hard.

She certainly wouldn't be able to play how she does now. Teams would have to have set plays for her where there are screens to give her a bit of space with the ball. If she can get shots off, she'll make a lot of them. But getting those shots off will be the problem. I think she'd still be able to distribute pretty well too but she will have trouble taking a dribble and side stepping a player to get space to pass. I would worry that expectations would be to score 30 points a night with 12 assists. That's just not realistic at all in my opinion. Going 3 for 5 from 3 point range and 5 assists would be pushing it.

She certainly wouldn't be able to play how she does now. Teams would have to have set plays for her where there are screens to give her a bit of space with the ball. If she can get shots off, she'll make a lot of them. But getting those shots off will be the problem. I think she'd still be able to distribute pretty well too but she will have trouble taking a dribble and side stepping a player to get space to pass. I would worry that expectations would be to score 30 points a night with 12 assists. That's just not realistic at all in my opinion. Going 3 for 5 from 3 point range and 5 assists would be pushing it.
She'd be lucky to get a shot off and if pressed she could not dribble or get a pass over a couple big, male, guards hawking her.

She's 6' tall, and thats obvious, just to clarify.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT