ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2016

wants to make his announcement a big deal to help promote wrestling. It's more about wrestling than himself, as he implies in the interview you mentioned. I hope we get to a point where this becomes the norm in wrestling.

I have had a couple conversations with Hall. VERY humble. Great kid.

Hall is just one part of this class though.

Suriano, Yates, Breske, Happel, Young, and Marinelli. Plus some lower ranked local guys, who can be developed.

If this is your expectation for the Class of 2016, I would expect that you will be sorely disappointed. Unless you are planning on jettisoning half the existing scholarship roster.

If this is your expectation for the Class of 2016, I would expect that you will be sorely disappointed. Unless you are planning on jettisoning half the existing scholarship roster.

I would agree that the likelihood of landing all of the above mentioned recruits is slim. However, I really think this class is going to be special. Personally, I think it ends up looking like this: Hall, Suriano, Marinelli, Happel, Young, then two other recruits

Losing out of two top 10 recruits that are interested (Yates and Breske) normally hurts quite a bit, but this year is different and even missing out on a couple studs, class still has the potential to be the top class in the country.

Who is Iowa going after in 2016
Suriano, Rathbun, Yates, Happel, Hall, Breske is what I've heard so far. Any others? Man that would be some class if we got them all with Marinelli and Young.

The interesting thing to me is it seems like all the top kids want to redshirt. I know it is a very common practice, but it seems to me that before kids wanted to start right away and had to be talked into redshirting. Now, the opposite is true, if you want a kid to start as a true freshmen that is a negative. The perfect scenario is to have a Junior at a weight class where a stud is coming in at.

The reason I bring this up is because of Suriano. Everything seems to be in place for him to be all PSU, yet he talks about redshirting and at PSU he will almost guaranteed be forced to start as a true Freshmen, with Nico and Conaway using up all of the eligiblility next year and PSU having next to no one else on their roster at 125 or even 133. Suriano has always been a PSU vs Iowa battle to me. Some people have insisted Nebraska is in the mix, which is interesting as they have Junior Lambert at 125, which is a perfect scenario just as Iowa's with Gilman. Suriano is a stud #2 recruit in the country and could easily compete as a true Freshmen, but the road to winning a Title an AA'ing high is much more difficult with Dance and Gilman being in the fold and two years of Tomasello.

Just food for thought when considering Suriano's recruitment. Personally, I think he will be in Black and Yellow.

Suriano fits the mold of an Iowa lightweight. Would be surprised if he wasn't a Hawkeye.

The interesting thing to me is it seems like all the top kids want to redshirt. I know it is a very common practice, but it seems to me that before kids wanted to start right away and had to be talked into redshirting. Now, the opposite is true, if you want a kid to start as a true freshmen that is a negative. The perfect scenario is to have a Junior at a weight class where a stud is coming in at.

The reason I bring this up is because of Suriano. Everything seems to be in place for him to be all PSU, yet he talks about redshirting and at PSU he will almost guaranteed be forced to start as a true Freshmen, with Nico and Conaway using up all of the eligiblility next year and PSU having next to no one else on their roster at 125 or even 133. Suriano has always been a PSU vs Iowa battle to me. Some people have insisted Nebraska is in the mix, which is interesting as they have Junior Lambert at 125, which is a perfect scenario just as Iowa's with Gilman. Suriano is a stud #2 recruit in the country and could easily compete as a true Freshmen, but the road to winning a Title an AA'ing high is much more difficult with Dance and Gilman being in the fold and two years of Tomasello.

Just food for thought when considering Suriano's recruitment. Personally, I think he will be in Black and Yellow.
Nebraska also just recruited Kris Williams 4x finalist and 3x Illinois state champion. Projects 125/133

Nebraska also just recruited Kris Williams 4x finalist and 3x Illinois state champion. Projects 125/133

Nothing against Kris Williams who is a quality wrestler (he was #50 ranked recruit by DICW last year), but he is not scaring Suriano away from a school. Suriano is the #2 overall recruit for a reason and would be the top overall recruit in the country if it wasn't for Hall and his ridiculous talent.

Personally, I don't care, but I have read more than once on message boards in PA, that Suriano is the true #1 in this class since Hall has been held back multiple times. Again, I could care less about high school/middle school hold backs, but some people do. All I know is Hall would be #1 in 2014, 2015, and 2016. He is that special. That said Suriano is a clear #2 in the 2016 class, which means he is pretty darn special himself.

Nothing against Kris Williams who is a quality wrestler (he was #50 ranked recruit by DICW last year), but he is not scaring Suriano away from a school. Suriano is the #2 overall recruit for a reason and would be the top overall recruit in the country if it wasn't for Hall and his ridiculous talent.

Personally, I don't care, but I have read more than once on message boards in PA, that Suriano is the true #1 in this class since Hall has been held back multiple times. Again, I could care less about high school/middle school hold backs, but some people do. All I know is Hall would be #1 in 2014, 2015, and 2016. He is that special. That said Suriano is a clear #2 in the 2016 class, which means he is pretty darn special himself.
I was more making the comment that maybe he was no longer looking at Nebraska. That's why they signed Williams. Just hoping he was a 50/50 shot between iowa and penn state.

I would agree that the likelihood of landing all of the above mentioned recruits is slim. However, I really think this class is going to be special. Personally, I think it ends up looking like this: Hall, Suriano, Marinelli, Happel, Young, then two other recruits

Losing out of two top 10 recruits that are interested (Yates and Breske) normally hurts quite a bit, but this year is different and even missing out on a couple studs, class still has the potential to be the top class in the country.

I like the optimism justwrestle, Hall AND Suriano huh? And throwin in Happel for good measure. I would s*&t the bed if we scored that class! One thing I worry about Hall is if he truly is looking for the relative glitz and glamour Iowa is not for him. He's got to be ready to booed everywhere except CHA. I hope I'm wrong but PSU/Ohio St seem more likely to me. I love Suriano, Happel and Yates for this class to add to Young and Marinelli.

I like the optimism justwrestle, Hall AND Suriano huh? And throwin in Happel for good measure. I would s*&t the bed if we scored that class! One thing I worry about Hall is if he truly is looking for the relative glitz and glamour Iowa is not for him. He's got to be ready to booed everywhere except CHA. I hope I'm wrong but PSU/Ohio St seem more likely to me. I love Suriano, Happel and Yates for this class to add to Young and Marinelli.

Hall goes to Apple Valley, he is used to be boo'ed. They are one of the most hated programs around. Their kids get boo'ed at the Minnesota State Tournament. I think he likes the us against the World mentality. BTW Marinelli is in the same boat, as far as the boo's for his high school. Marinelli is a St. Paris Graham kid, I think he also enjoys the us against the world ambiance of Iowa Wrestling as well.

Hall wrestles for Apple Valley which has a lot of success. They also get booed or cheered against often so I dont think that will be a factor.

I hope you guys are right. Not too many guys can put a program over the hump like Hall. Whichever top program lands him will likely win a few team championships while he's there, hope its us.

Reactions: Knight563
Flo's new top 10 for the class of 2016

1. Hall
2. Suriano
3. Marinelli
4. White
5. Wood
6. Red
7. Manville
8. Reenan
9. Moore
10. Yates

Iowa is in on 4 of their top 10, and the top 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: clhawks00
I guess we'll take #1-3 and #10 if we must.

Well and answer this question. What weight class is the greatest need for this class? The vast majority of knowledgeable fans will say 141. Who is the highest rated 141 prospect in the the 2016 class? None other than Iowa's own Happel. Who will be a top 20 recruit overall.

This is why I think the 2016 class is going to be so special.

I don't see penn state in the mix. Hall was not able to beat Bo Nickal and I think he now wou
I think we already landed our 141 of the future in Vince Turk. Time will tell.
I could see Happel going 149

Hall lost to Nickal in 2012 folk style, 2013 freestyle, and 2014 free style. When did he beat him? Just saying Hall has some unfinished business with him and Not being at Penn State helps him accomplish that.

I forget which tournament it was, but it definitely happened. It was a few years back. It's probably on Flo somewhere, unless it was too long ago. Hall injured his knee early in the match on a Nickal shot and came back to beat him.

Anyway, I'm all for Hall going somewhere other than PSU (cough, cough. . . Iowa. . . cough. . . cough. . .) and beating him repeatedly in college.

Last edited:
These kids have a lot of good options. I hope they choose Iowa but a lot of other programs have things to offer as well. Our combination of coaching, resources, facilities, training partners...etc is something that only a handful of programs can match, but that isn't going to land us every elite recruit. This board trying to convince itself that these kids would be foolish to consider any place other than Iowa is comical. I think we'll get a couple of additionally highly regarded recruits to add to Marinelli and Young, but I highly doubt we're going to get 5 or 6 additional elite guys on top of those two. I don't consider anyone that hasn't committed to be a lock, because if their mind was 100% made up they likely would have committed already.

These kids have a lot of good options. I hope they choose Iowa but a lot of other programs have things to offer as well. Our combination of coaching, resources, facilities, training partners...etc is something that only a handful of programs can match, but that isn't going to land us every elite recruit. This board trying to convince itself that these kids would be foolish to consider any place other than Iowa is comical. I think we'll get a couple of additionally highly regarded recruits to add to Marinelli and Young, but I highly doubt we're going to get 5 or 6 additional elite guys on top of those two. I don't consider anyone that hasn't committed to be a lock, because if their mind was 100% made up they likely would have committed already.
Well the last few years the top 10 talent haven't been considering Iowa. Now we have Kemerer coming and a verbal from Marinelli. Why shouldn't people be getting excited? Especially when Hall, Suriano, Yates, Happal, Breske, and Lee are all also considering Iowa. I understand it's unlikely we get them all, but they haven't sign with anyone else yet so why not us? Positive thinking! Go Hawks!

Reactions: Huck and Knight563
Well the last few years the top 10 talent haven't been considering Iowa. Now we have Kemerer coming and a verbal from Marinelli. Why shouldn't people be getting excited? Especially when Hall, Suriano, Yates, Happal, Breske, and Lee are all also considering Iowa. I understand it's unlikely we get them all, but they haven't sign with anyone else yet so why not us? Positive thinking! Go Hawks!
Don't get me wrong, I think this class is going to be excellent, but some folks are likely getting a little carried away. We could have the #1 class and not get close to what some people are prognosticating.

I don't see what you're describing. I see some reasonable optimism and hope. I don't see anyone planning on landing all of these kids, by any stretch. Furthermore, I may have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone saying that any recruit would be foolish to go elsewhere. Iowa haters rip on us enough as it is; let's not start flogging ourselves for things we've never even said. Again, I may have missed what you're describing, but I read the board pretty thoroughly, so I doubt that's the case. If I missed it, then my bad, and I apologize in advance.;)

Some, including myself, have kidded around about landing a whole bunch of studs. I think the humor, or at least the lame attempts at humor, has been pretty evident in those cases. Of course, we'd love to land every top kid in whom the staff takes extra interest, but I don't think any of us seriously expects to make some kind of clean sweep. Not that we'd object to that, of course. . . .

Last edited:
Not one poster has said that so please don't make stuff up.

Last edited:
Just for some fun.... Iowa vs OSU next year
125: Gilman MD Klimara. Gilman puts another beating on Klimara. IA 4 OSU 0
133: Clark MD WayneHarding. Clark with a couple of take downs, a turn, and Riding time. IA 8 OSU 0
141: Heil MD Carton. Heil raised his level at the end of the year, and looked good. IA 8 OSU 4
149: Sorensen MD Collica. Kelly beat Collica something like 9-6, Sorensen is on another level from both. IA 12 OSU 4
157: Marsteller dec. Cooper/Grothus?(not according to weh8 in his thread) Marsteller is a gasser. IA 12 OSU 7
165: Dieringer MD Paddock. I expect a similar performance to the dual last year, many takedowns for dieringer. IA 12 OSU 11
174: Meyer Dec. Crutchmer. Crutcher is the highest returning AA, but Meyer has the lone H2H win last season. And I think is better. IA 15 OSU 11
184: Brooks Dec. Boyd. Brooks gets his revenge for last seasons fluke, could be a major. IA 18 OSU 11
197: Burak dec. whoever. Burak will beat anybody that OSU throws out. IA 21 OSU 11
285: Marsden dec Stoll. At this point Marsden is the favorite, but it will be a low scoring hwt affair im guessing. The jury is still out on Stoll. IA 21 OSU 14.

It won't be as much of a beatdown as last season, but i predict a comfortable win. #HawksNCAAchamps2016

Well after Collica beat Sorensen last weekend, if we flipped that match and gave Collica a Dec. we would have a 17-17 match and looking at the way you gave away bonus points, I would think OSU's chances of coming out victorious are pretty good. For example, I could easily see Dieringer scoring more than a major, I could also see Marsteller or Blees scoring more than a decision Meanwhile, you awarded Gilman and Clark majors, which while very possible could very easily be decisions.

I hate to say it, but Oklahoma State is most likely a favorite in this dual.

Well after Collica beat Sorensen last weekend, if we flipped that match and gave Collica a Dec. we would have a 17-17 match and looking at the way you gave away bonus points, I would think OSU's chances of coming out victorious are pretty good. For example, I could easily see Dieringer scoring more than a major, I could also see Marsteller or Blees scoring more than a decision Meanwhile, you awarded Gilman and Clark majors, which while very possible could very easily be decisions.

I hate to say it, but Oklahoma State is most likely a favorite in this dual.

Okie State will no doubt be a formidable opponent but I don't think we should ignore a year or two of folkstyle history and allow a freestyle match to be the main predictor in the outcome of a folkstyle match.

Reactions: andegre
I forget which tournament it was, but it definitely happened. It was a few years back. It's probably on Flo somewhere, unless it was too long ago. Hall injured his knee early in the match on a Nickal shot and came back to beat him.

Anyway, I'm all for Hall going somewhere other than PSU (cough, cough. . . Iowa. . . cough. . . cough. . .) and beating him repeatedly in college.

You can't remember which tournament and there is no evidence of it on the Internet?

Don't get me wrong, I think this class is going to be excellent, but some folks are likely getting a little carried away. We could have the #1 class and not get close to what some people are prognosticating.

I have been the one saying how great I think the class is going to be, but I have said multiple times that all of these guys aren't going to the same school. However, I do believe this class is going to have at least 5 recruits in the top 50+ kids and more importantly at least 3 kids in the top 20.

I will go on record with a prediction, far too early to be accurate, but for conversation sake: Hall, Suriano, Marinelli, Happel, Young, Rathbun, and Gremmel.

That is with losing out on Breske, Yates, Pletcher, and Cook among numerous others. If Hall goes elsewhere I think Iowa lands Breske. 133 will need to be grown into a little bit in this scenario, Yates or Pletcher would have solved this, but you can't get everyone.

2017 starting lineup.

125- Surinao/Rathbun
133- Suriano/Rathbun
141- Happel/Turk
149- Sorensen/Kemerer
157- Kemerer/Young
165- Marinelli
174- Hall
184- Wilke/Paddock
197- Holloway/Gremmel
Hvy- Stoll/Gremmel

I have been the one saying how great I think the class is going to be, but I have said multiple times that all of these guys aren't going to the same school. However, I do believe this class is going to have at least 5 recruits in the top 50+ kids and more importantly at least 3 kids in the top 20.

I will go on record with a prediction, far too early to be accurate, but for conversation sake: Hall, Suriano, Marinelli, Happel, Young, Rathbun, and Gremmel.

That is with losing out on Breske, Yates, Pletcher, and Cook among numerous others. If Hall goes elsewhere I think Iowa lands Breske. 133 will need to be grown into a little bit in this scenario, Yates or Pletcher would have solved this, but you can't get everyone.

2017 starting lineup.

125- Surinao/Rathbun
133- Suriano/Rathbun
141- Happel/Turk
149- Sorensen/Kemerer
157- Kemerer/Young
165- Marinelli
174- Hall
184- Wilke/Paddock
197- Holloway/Gremmel
Hvy- Stoll/Gremmel

Curious what "in" we have with Suriano or is this just a personal wish list? I don't see Gremmel as a 197 ever.

Well, a lot has changed in the last few months, but really only the Suriano commitment has a major impact on my opinion of this class.

I never thought Iowa was going to land Pletcher.

I thought if Suriano went elsewhere that the staff would put the full court press on Yates and land him.

I still think the Hawkeyes will land Rathburn, Happel, and Gremmel. To go along with Marinelli, Young, and a 174 recruit.

The big fish (Hall is still out there), however if he makes the choice to go elsewhere, then I think the staff land Breske, who is a very fine recruit in his own right.

2017/18 lineup still in play

125- Rathburn.........or hopefully True Freshman Lee.
133- Yates
141- Happel/Turk
149- Sorensen/Kemerer
157- Kemerer/Young
165- Marinelli
174- Hall/Breske
184- Wilke/Paddock
197- Holloway
Hvy- Stoll/Gremmel/Bradley

That is a National Championship lineup right there, which will be defending the championship from the 2016/17 lineup.

Reactions: Knight563
Well, a lot has changed in the last few months, but really only the Suriano commitment has a major impact on my opinion of this class.

I never thought Iowa was going to land Pletcher.

I thought if Suriano went elsewhere that the staff would put the full court press on Yates and land him.

I still think the Hawkeyes will land Rathburn, Happel, and Gremmel. To go along with Marinelli, Young, and a 174 recruit.

The big fish (Hall is still out there), however if he makes the choice to go elsewhere, then I think the staff land Breske, who is a very fine recruit in his own right.

2017/18 lineup still in play

125- Rathburn.........or hopefully True Freshman Lee.
133- Yates
141- Happel/Turk
149- Sorensen/Kemerer
157- Kemerer/Young
165- Marinelli
174- Hall/Breske
184- Wilke/Paddock
197- Holloway
Hvy- Stoll/Gremmel/Bradley

That is a National Championship lineup right there, which will be defending the championship from the 2016/17 lineup.

Yates verbaled to UNI

ADVERTISEMENT