ADVERTISEMENT

College Hockey News -Arizona State Hockey

SoDakHawk

HR Legend
Sep 14, 2006
Arizona State is now the next school to start a D1 college hockey program. Speculation is that they are the first of a few PAC 12 schools that will start programs. Undoubtedly a lot of this centers around programming for the PAC 12 network. Question becomes is this the first domino in a number of schools starting programs? A lot of hockey people are saying just that. I've been told by people out of Omaha and Lincoln that Nebraska hockey is a done deal and just a matter of time. Many anticipate more BIG schools adding programs in order to add quality programming to the BTN. I think Iowa is a natural fit for a D1 hockey program. Our athletic dept has more money than God. Why are they sitting on it? So they can give KF another fat contract extension?

If Arizona State can do this no reason Iowa can't.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/arizona-state-to-launch-division-i-hockey-program-111814

Arizona Coyotes - NHL, have an arena right there. The Roughriders and the Stable in CR don't quite measure up that. What men's program will be cut to make way or what additional women's sport will the university have to fund to meet Title IX?

Iowa needs one - with all the young talent right here in the state that resides on the CR, WTL, DUB teams - Iowa could cash in on them!

Who says a men's program would need to be cut? Add men's ice hockey and add a women's hockey team or maybe women's lacrosse (a sport which is on fire right now). As for the money issue, I am not too concerned about the ability of one of the Top 15 highest revenue athletic departments in the country to fund an additional sport. Oh, and a sport that is revenue positive at almost every shool that has it. Like I said, the Iowa athletic dept has more money than God, and after the next BIG TV contract negotiation and the BTN spreads throughout those NE markets due to expansion, Iowa will be swimming in money.

Originally posted by SoDakHawk:
Arizona State is now the next school to start a D1 college hockey program. Speculation is that they are the first of a few PAC 12 schools that will start programs. Undoubtedly a lot of this centers around programming for the PAC 12 network. Question becomes is this the first domino in a number of schools starting programs? A lot of hockey people are saying just that. I've been told by people out of Omaha and Lincoln that Nebraska hockey is a done deal and just a matter of time. Many anticipate more BIG schools adding programs in order to add quality programming to the BTN. I think Iowa is a natural fit for a D1 hockey program. Our athletic dept has more money than God. Why are they sitting on it? So they can give KF another fat contract extension?

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/arizona-state-to-launch-division-i-hockey-program-111814
Where would they play? I think there is a club hockey team that plays at the Mall in Coralville. I know, let's start a pond hockey team, play on the Iowa River, better yet the reservoir, or even MacBride Park lake, (is it still there?) Pond hockey is alive and well in Michigan, I hear.

I've had this very conversation with Gary Barta. Short of a booster, or group of boosters, willing to write a $100 million check ala Terry Pagula at Penn State, Iowa won't have a Varsity Hockey program anytime in my lifetime, and I'm in my 40s.

Minimum requirement would be to build an Ice Arena with a second practice rink. Anything less than having a year-round exclusive facility for your program is not acceptable. Also hockey is one of the most expensive sports to operate. For Iowa to stay in compliance with Title IX, they would have to add both men's and women's ice hockey which means 36 total equivalency scholarships which would run Iowa about $3 million/year just in scholarship cost alone. That's almost more scholarships than men's basketball, women's basketball, and wrestling combined. Add on coaching and support staff, equipment and travel, recruiting, medical and all other misc. expenses and you are now taking about a sport that will add $6 million in expenses to your department's annual budget.

And our Athletic Department does not have more money than God. It brings in solid gross revenue, but Barta has a large nut to cover. Last year they only showed a net profit of about $350,000.00 after all expenses and paying interest on their current debt services. Explain to me how $350,000 is going to pay for a $6 million per year ice hockey program.

So once again, unless someone comes along and makes the largest contribution in Athletic Department history, no ice hockey anytime soon.

Chief,

I understand everything you are saying about the cost. The $6 million to run the program could be budgeted. There is more and more money coming in from TV and other revenue sources to help cover the operating costs, plus, let's not forget, the program will also generate some revenue. Tickets to a Gophers game run around $50 last time I went a few years back. If Iowa set ticket prices at an average of $30 and averaged 5,000 fans for a 16 game home schedule we are talking about $2.4 million right there. Now add in concessions, merchandising, etc. In the end the sport would end up being break even just like it is at near every other school that has it. Heck, at some schools it is a cash cow.

The big hurdle, IMO, is the arena. That one I can't get over. But if Iowa City or Coralville were looking into building a new events center there would be a partnership opportunity there for the athletic dept. Maybe that or some other appraoch could work.

I just hate it when one of the best revenue generating athletic departments in the country, a Big Ten school with all of those resources avvailable, throws up their hands and says "too expensive" without even trying or even looking at ways to make it happen. Especially one that only offers 22 sports. So you're telling me that Minnesota can offer more sports than Iowa? That they are capable of doing something that Iowa can't? Bullcrap.

How many hockey programs run in the black just off of revenue, concessions etc.? I think the 5,000 @ $30 may be optimistic, which dates are they playing on that don't conflict with high school sports, other activities etc. Do draw crowds like that you would need a serious marketing effort which costs money and I think most would agree the university isn't real strong at. I would look at a strong 1-2 seasons and then difficulty holding that interest unless there is a very strong program.

Chief,

I understand everything you are saying about the cost. The $6 million to run the program could be budgeted. There is more and more money coming in from TV and other revenue sources to help cover the operating costs, plus, let's not forget, the program will also generate some revenue. Tickets to a Gophers game run around $50 last time I went a few years back. If Iowa set ticket prices at an average of $30 and averaged 5,000 fans for a 16 game home schedule we are talking about $2.4 million right there. Now add in concessions, merchandising, etc. In the end the sport would end up being break even just like it is at near every other school that has it. Heck, at some schools it is a cash cow.

The big hurdle, IMO, is the arena. That one I can't get over. But if Iowa City or Coralville were looking into building a new events center there would be a partnership opportunity there for the athletic dept. Maybe that or some other appraoch could work.

I just hate it when one of the best revenue generating athletic departments in the country, a Big Ten school with all of those resources avvailable, throws up their hands and says "too expensive" without even trying or even looking at ways to make it happen. Especially one that only offers 22 sports. So you're telling me that Minnesota can offer more sports than Iowa? That they are capable of doing something that Iowa can't? Bullcrap.
I can tell you what Gary Barta would say. His answer would be that at present he cannot afford to fund all of the programs Iowa fields at a level that allows them to realistically compete for B1G Championships. If he can't do that now, How would he be able to do so by adding another sport that will require 36 total scholarships and an operational budget that will be the 3rd largest in the Department.

Everyone talks about all this revenue. There is no extra revenue. The staff salary and benefits cost for the Department is in the $40 million annual range. The health care costs for departmental employees increased over $3.2 million from last fiscal year alone. It cost $1 million more this year to simply turn the lights on at Carver-Hawkeye arena. Barta indicated at the Linn County I-Club that Departmental revenues need to increase about 7% per year, just to maintain the status quo, and the status quo right now is below championship level for multiple programs.

I can assure you that all of the expected new media rights money that is anticipated beginning in 2016 is already accounted for.

If you want to compete at an elite level in college hockey, you need an arena with at least 2 competition size rinks that are running 365 days a year. You will not be competitive using a civic center built in Coralville that will put an ice rink down for you to play games as long as those games don't conflict with the bridal shows and gun shows that will also be scheduled for the facility.

This post was edited on 12/28 4:01 PM by 73chief

Chief,

The Rough Riders don't average 5,000 fans, why do you think an Iowa team would?

The Hawkeyes are a much bigger brand than any in-state USHL team and would be competing at a higher level.

Nebraska adding men's ice hockey as a varsity sport, just heard it again this past weekend. It will be added within the next couple of years.

When will Iowa get on board with this? When will Iowa add men's soccer, men's and women's lacrosse, and men's and women's ice hockey? BTN needs programming. BTN provides a significant chunk of change to the Iowa AD each year, and that number is only getting bigger. How long does Iowa stand behind the no money excuse? Truth is there is tons of money flowing through the athletic dept. Must be a management issue.

Nebraska adding men's ice hockey as a varsity sport, just heard it again this past weekend. It will be added within the next couple of years.

When will Iowa get on board with this? When will Iowa add men's soccer, men's and women's lacrosse, and men's and women's ice hockey? BTN needs programming. BTN provides a significant chunk of change to the Iowa AD each year, and that number is only getting bigger. How long does Iowa stand behind the no money excuse? Truth is there is tons of money flowing through the athletic dept. Must be a management issue.
Spoke to some big Nebraska boosters that tailgated with us on Black Friday and they said UNL is NOT adding a hockey team and that decision was made some time ago. One of these gentlemen is on the National board of directors for their alumni association.

All of the answers to your questions have been answered above and some two or three times. I'm sorry you don't want to accept them. Continually asking them probably isn't going to get you different answers. I would recommend you pull up the AD's 5-year strategic plan on hawkeyesports.com and familiarize yourself with the realities of college athletics financing.

Sure thing chief, I'll get right on that. I'm sorry I just don't accept the mediocrity of what is going on with the Iowa athletic dept. They can, and should, be doing more. Other universities manage to with far less resources. But by all means, keep towing the company line.

As for Nebraska, why do I keep hearing the same things about Husker hockey every time I go down to Omaha or Lincoln. FYI, it was at a UNO hockey game and they are not very happy about it in Mav land.

Sure thing chief, I'll get right on that. I'm sorry I just don't accept the mediocrity of what is going on with the Iowa athletic dept. They can, and should, be doing more. Other universities manage to with far less resources. But by all means, keep towing the company line.

As for Nebraska, why do I keep hearing the same things about Husker hockey every time I go down to Omaha or Lincoln. FYI, it was at a UNO hockey game and they are not very happy about it in Mav land.
Wow. First time I've ever been accused of "towing the company line". Some folks in the lounge would get a kick out of that one.

As far as Nebraska Hockey, the gentleman I am getting the information from is on the National Board of the Nebraska Alumni Association. It sounds like your info is coming from the fan base of another University. I think I'll stick with my source.

Originally posted by hawkitd:

Who says a men's program would need to be cut?
You clearly are blissfully unaware of how Title IX works in practice.
No. I know how it works. You operate with the negative mentality that resulted in men's programs being unjustly cut in order to maintain the balance between men's and women's programs, effectively denying opportunities to men in the name of equality. A men's program doesn't need to be cut, just a corresponding women's program added in order to maintain equality in opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT