ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Soccer!

Big Hawkeye cheer to the soccer team! They knocked off #1 seed Michigan State last weekend and then defeated Penn State last night to make it to the tournament championship against Wisconsin on Sunday. Go Hawks!

I think they have a good chance to be selected to the NCAA tournament, even if they don't win the Big Ten tournament this Sunday.

Yeah, pretty crazy that Penn State was #5 in the NCAA but only third in the B1G. The conference's depth is incredible this year. The announcers last night said last night's win moved Iowa from a "bubble" to a "probably in". Three wins against top 20 teams: Mississippi State away, Sparty away, and now a top 5 PSU on a neutral field.

8 teams in the NCAAs would have to be a new record for the B1G. When Iowa won it all in the 2020-21 covid season, the B1G went 5-0 in the first round of the NCAAs and yet the following season the Hawks were a 4 seed and made the B1G semis, only to get controversially snubbed.

I didn't know that 8 Big Tens are good enough to be under consideration for the NCAA tournament. I know four currently ranked teams should be locks. If eight teams are good enough, then Iowa should be in. Iowa was ranked one time this season.

Reactions: Torg
I was checking the women's soccer RPI rankings on ncaa.com. Among the Big Ten teams that are not ranked in the polls, Ohio State is #31, Iowa #33, Rutgers #35, Indiana #40, and Michigan is #42 as of last night. Michigan did not make the Big Ten tournament. It looks like Indiana and Michigan are bubble teams. I took a look at the Pac 12 teams that will join the Big Ten next year. UCLA of course is elite, USC is quite good too, but Washington and Oregon not so this year. Oregon is winless. that surprised me. Has it always been this bad in the past?

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
No idea on Oregon but that is shocking. I thought we were on the bubble coming into the tournament. The Hawks are squarely in now and may even be ranked again (if they do that?) going in to three NCAA tournament.

The Big Ten jumped on the stage this year in a huge way. There was talent all over on several teams. Iowa was in no way, shape or form a normal 8 seed. Our back line is pretty solid and using a ton of Freshman.

I wish they would capitalize on all the shots they get in a game but they are generating chances. I'm hoping we bust the narrative that you can't win in the midwest.

It also shows we could compete with a men's team.

I am happy for them.

Our mens sports in general, outside of track and baseball struggle.

I don't see how these other schools have mens teams but we can't.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
It also shows we could compete with a men's team.

I am happy for them.

Our mens sports in general, outside of track and baseball struggle.

I don't see how these other schools have mens teams but we can't.

Congrats to the women, but is Iowa seriously never going to have mens soccer? Where are all those kids playing in the Chicago suburbs going? No way we couldn't be competitive on the mens side.
We’re smack dab in the middle of four different MLS academies within 4 hours of us. We’d own B1G West recruiting territory as Mizzou, Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas etc do not have a Power 5 men’s soccer program. If SLU, Creighton, and UIC can be soccer powers, there’s no reason we can’t.

What’s great run they have made!! Great job by the team peaking at the right moment.

They've really been on fire lately, pulling off some remarkable wins against tough opponents like Michigan State and Penn State. It's moments like these that remind us of the sheer talent and dedication of our players and coaching staff. As a Hawkeye fan, it's been so inspiring to witness their journey to the tournament championship, and I have no doubt they'll give it their all against Wisconsin on Sunday. Let's continue rallying behind them with our unwavering support and enthusiasm! And hey, if you're itching for more soccer action, why not check out the latest Premier League matches to keep the excitement going?

Last edited:
Pardon me, but I see that the Hawkeyes are playing Chicago Red Stars tomorrow?
Yep. Met a mom and son going out from Iowa to see the game before heading to the Fire home opener tonight. My guess is they want to get a closer look at Macy Enneking as a possible future Alyssa Naher successor. Their just recently departed goalkeeper coach was former Hawkeye coach Rade Taskanovic. Possibly want a look at McGroarty and our stud Freshmen center-backs as well.

I went looking for news of yesterday's scrimmage and see Sam is headed to Sweden.

I went looking for news of yesterday's scrimmage and see Sam is headed to Sweden.
Good league, and on a team where she will get more minutes than Louisville. She looked really solid in her substitute minutes in The Women’s Cup down in Colombia. Dominated her side in a shutout win. Got signed by the Swedish team right after that game. Very likely she gets loaned back to Louisville during the Olympics if Carson Pickett is selected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT