ADVERTISEMENT

Could this be the weakest field effort since 2000?

makeachange

Rookie
Mar 1, 2015
Examine every position and figure in back ups. If we lose any of the key four players...we could win 2 games. Iowa simply doesn't have the talented positions and terrible field ready depth.

We need a staff that can close recruits. Brett B could.

Ask yourself...is their ONE team on our entire schedule that is worried about playing the Hawkeyes, or are they salivating at the chance?

ISU is drooling...
MN sees future recruits being persuaded away from Iowa...

Is your favorite word doom or gloom? Actually '99 was a worse year than 2000 for Iowa football. By November of 2000 things were looking up.

Originally posted by makeachange:
Examine every position and figure in back ups. If we lose any of the key four players...we could win 2 games. Iowa simply doesn't have the talented positions and terrible field ready depth.

Go away until we play games that count. THEN your analysis might merit consideration. These players are out there busting their butts to make Kinnick Stadium fun next year and they do not need guys like you dismissing them before they play a single down.

The OP is correct. This has the makings of a terrible season. Face it, the future of Iowa football does not and should not include Kirk Ferentz. Recruiting has been subpar for years and is the reason we lost to a horrible Iowa St team, almost lost to a horrible Ball St team and got embarrassed by an average Minnesota team. If Kirk stays, we'll be the new version of 1980's Northwestern football.

I actually think that with the right recruits, Kirk Ferentz is a hell of a good coach and can win. The problem is, he doesn't have the right recruits..... Our style of play is almost identical to Wisconsin and Michigan State and you can see the success they are having with talented players. Heck, Mark Dantonio even said once that he was trying to model his program after Iowa......if we could just recruit, we could have that same success....

No, Negative Nellie, you are wrong. This team is trending upward.

Originally posted by Ladell-hawk:

No, Negative Nellie, you are wrong. This team is trending upward.
You're right. I forgot about that outstanding performance we had against a freshman led Tennessee team. If that's trending up, I'd hate to see us trending down!

From the little bit that we saw today I'd say we are actually overall a better team this year than last. Weak spots, yes...but not nearly as many as I had feared. I'll be in Iowa City on the 25th and get a clearer picture then, but for now I'm not gonna sweat it...these Hawks seem to be rounding out OK.

Weakest field effort?
No, I think the grounds crew will do great job and the field will be in great shape! ( besides I think it is a an athletic turf field)

Come back when you have something intelligent to say. My guess is that will be never.
laugh.r191677.gif

Everyone is bashing the guy but no one is giving an example of a weaker squad since 2000. Bash all you want but the numbers say he is probably correct. Last years team may have givin them a run but MW was atleast a proven reliable commodity and we had an outland winner. I will say cj is hopefully a game day upgrade but he was on last years team also if you go player for player.

This post was edited on 4/12 8:59 PM by HAWK-N-402 (4)

This post was edited on 4/12 9:03 PM by HAWK-N-402 (4)

This thread is laughable. We actually have decent depth and veterans at most positions. Player retention has been good and I do not see a lot of Freshman in the mix for PT. We will be very good this year.

#QB5Kyle Anderson FrQB16C.J. BeethardFrOL63Austin Blythe FrOL59Conor BoffeliJrRB32Damon BullockSoRB33Jordan Canzeri SoOL50Drew ClarkJrWR23Jordan CottonJrFB33Adam CoxSoWR6Keenan DavisSrRB31Andre DawsonJrTE85Zach DerbySrOL78Andrew DonnalSoTE87Jake Duzey FrOL53James Ferentz (C)SrTE86C.J. FiedorowiczJrRB26Steve Fiorella FrRB4Greg GarmonFrOL57Tommy GaulSoFB92Jonathan GrimmSrWR9Blake HaluskaSoTE82Ray HamiltonSoRB3Barkley Hill FrWR84Jacob HillyerSoOL74Mitch KeppyFrATH46George KittleFrTE80Henry Krieger-Coble FrWR88Greg MabinFrOL76Nolan MacMillanJrWR11Kevonte Martin-ManleySoOL66Casey McMillanSrATH34Nate MeierFrFB35Matt MayersSoWR29Nick NielsenSrFB41Jacob ReisenJrFB38Brad RogersJrQB15Jake Rudock FrOL68Brandon ScherffSoOL77Reid SealbyFrWR8Don ShumpertJrOL58Eric SimmonsSoWR81Tevaun SmithFrQB19Cody SokolJrWR83Steven StaggsSrOL60Matt TobinSrOL70Brett Van SlotenJrQB16James Vandenberg (C)SrOL65Jordan Walsh FrOL73Ryan WardFrFB45Mark WeismanSoQB14John WienkeSrWR89Cameron WilsonFrDefensePos.LB52Quinton AlstonSoDL79Dominic AlvisJrDL54Steve BigachSrDB14Kevin BufordFrDB22Torrey CampbellSoDB2Greg CastilloSrLB55Marcus CollinsSoDL97Darian Cooper FrDL71Carl DavisSoLB17Shane DiBonaJrLB13Tom DonatellSrDB7Sean DraperFrDL56Faith EkakitieFrOLB36Cole FisherSoDB28Marcus FlemingFrOLB50Palmer FosterSoDL99Joe GaglioneSrDB12Anthony GairFrDB17Raymond Hammond FrDL98Mike HardySoLB31Anthony HitchensJrCB18Micah Hyde (C)SrDL67Jaleel JohnsonFrLB20Christian KirkseyJrDB22Brian KrollSoDB21Nico LawSoDB25Ruben Lile FrDB27Jordan Lomax SoDB48John LowdermilkSoDB19B.J. LoweryJrDL93Nathan LymanJrDE94Riley McMinn FrDB5Tanner MillerJrLB44James Morris (C)JrDL95Drew OttFrDB16Jamal Overton FrDB39Travis Perry FrLB42Macon Plewa FrLB43Jim PoggiSoDB16Collin SleeperSrDB30Gavin SmithSoLB49Melvin Spears FrDB40Jack SwansonSrLB51Laron TaylorFrDL90Louis Trinca-PasatSoDL75Dean Tsopanides FrDL91Daumantas Venckus-Cucchiara

Its very hard to read so my apologies but this is the 4-8 2012 team and gun to my head I would take them with hyde and the line backers over this years roster. (Im not saying that this team wont have a better record or cannot suprise me but the guy has a point)

Very good meaning we will probably be in a position to win every game this year. Like most years of Iowa football, if we win the close ones, we will see double digit wins, if not we see an average season. Define the "numbers" system you are referring to. Did your "numbers system" match up the year Ferentz won big ten titles with many lightly recruited players playing prominent roles?

This post was edited on 4/12 9:15 PM by Bearhawk0505

Im looking at the rosters and going is x better than y his ... year. And those lightly touted recruits would not have been as lightly touted in todays everything goes on the internet. Something the "well this guy was a 2 star and he played in the league" crowd doesnt like to see. Which is why they dont hapen as much anymore and most of the names on that list are 10 years old.

Hawk-N, I am not going to get in to some pitty patty debate over something as dumb as this thread with you. Our roster has as much talent on as it always does. Iowa has never had highly rated classes. We have future NFL players on both sides of the ball(not many skill players as always). I believe we have the better arm at QB than most past teams. We are a developmental program. When player retention is good, that generally means good things for a Ferentz coached team.

Originally posted by HAWK-N-402 (4):
Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge. What year since 2000 do you think had less talent on the roster?
What a retarded question. It's easy to look back at every roster and say well look at all the NFL players. Problem is if It was April 2002 you wouldn't be so excited about the current roster when it turned out to be awesome. You see that's how it works. Players get better the longer they are in the system.

I don't get you people. You claim you are fans but here is what I don't get. Why do you spend so much time on a website during the off season trying to convince everyone how shitty we are? I am guessing because you aren't an Iowa fan. I'm pretty sure I am right. Either that or you are just one miserable son of a bitch.

Alright so ill give you a couple points because there is def some hindsight to it and it is a bit negative nancy. My thing was no one had answered his question. Im normally not this pessimistic but I got no faith if we are being honest. For the part about being in everygame that is correct but we will also be in EVERY game in the semse of no crushing victories and I see what 2016 is going to really mean.

Edit: retard? Really its a post on a message board. If it was that annoying dont reapond. Have some class.
This post was edited on 4/13 10:47 AM by HAWK-N-402 (4)

Let's face it, if we played a REAL schedule this year, we would probably be a 3 or 4 win team.

As it sits, we might squeak out 6 possibly even 7, and the cool-aiders will say we are trending up.

The 90% will say fire Ferentz.

Rinse and repeat for a few more seasons. Might get REAL ugly when the schedule gets tough again though.

Originally posted by soybean:
From the little bit that we saw today I'd say we are actually overall a better team this year than last. Weak spots, yes...but not nearly as many as I had feared. I'll be in Iowa City on the 25th and get a clearer picture then, but for now I'm not gonna sweat it...these Hawks seem to be rounding out OK.
I'm cautiously optimistic too Bean. Seems like with some of the incumbents gone we might actually be better in some key positions.
We also seem to surprise when no one is expecting anything.

This post was edited on 4/13 7:44 AM by Sett1997

Ask yourself...is their ONE team on our entire schedule that worries Iowa's players, or are they salivating at the chance?
FIFY

Originally posted by HAWK-N-402 (4):
Im not trying to debate crap. Not one person has givin a straight answer.

The hindsight thing does make it nearly impossible, and it is really hard to go beyond the starters, but I think they are without a doubt better than 2012. Hell I think they might be better than last year. I'll make a case for it.

Should be better at QB, RB, FB, 1WR, C, G, G on offense. TE, and the other WR should be close. The Tackle positions are worse. The question is going to be how much worse? If they can be servicable, then there are a lot of games to win.

On defense they should be better at DE, DE, LB, LB, CB, CB, FS. As good or better at the other LB position. Close at SS, and I don't think there is a huge drop at the T positions, but obviously a big drop off in experience there.

K and P should be as good or better.

There ya go man.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

How can you be conscious and think Iowa is trending up. Think about each position and only TE will be equal or better than last years weak team.
QB- unproven and no depth
RB-might be better but never been healthy
WR- smith and a bunch of nothing
OL-looks like we could be down three starters and two of those are probable draft picks. Maybe the coaches kid isn't the guy for the job
DL-lose two guys to NFL and everyone else is average at best
LB-weak, weak, weak! 3 guys who should be at D2 at best
DB-king is good but rest are marginal. Good DB know where the ball is at all times
Special teams-Koehn is decent but we have three scholarship kickers and we were bottom in the country. Our returners struggle to catch the ball and when they do manage to catch it, they prefer to pitch it forward to other team

Oh wait, that's football. We won't see a ten win season for at least five years given the depressed level of talent. Heck, we struggled to win 7 games against the easiest schedule I can remember in 20 years.

Originally posted by Suterman:

Goodbye Makeachange. Ignore feature working beautifully.
Those who use the ignore button and announce it are the biggest nancy boys walking.

This post was edited on 4/13 11:09 PM by mpls_hawki

Spring is not the time when the backups are going to look great. Some of these guys are playing with the twos for the first time. They have all summer and fall camp to get better. Also, due to the fact that a lot of people are down on the team they don't have any optimism that backups are any good. But I have seen years when people are optimistic and then people talk like every player on the team is going to be great.

Originally posted by bravehawks1:
How can you be conscious and think Iowa is trending up. Think about each position and only TE will be equal or better than last years weak team.
QB- unproven and no depth
RB-might be better but never been healthy
WR- smith and a bunch of nothing
OL-looks like we could be down three starters and two of those are probable draft picks. Maybe the coaches kid isn't the guy for the job
DL-lose two guys to NFL and everyone else is average at best
LB-weak, weak, weak! 3 guys who should be at D2 at best
DB-king is good but rest are marginal. Good DB know where the ball is at all times
Special teams-Koehn is decent but we have three scholarship kickers and we were bottom in the country. Our returners struggle to catch the ball and when they do manage to catch it, they prefer to pitch it forward to other team

Oh wait, that's football. We won't see a ten win season for at least five years given the depressed level of talent. Heck, we struggled to win 7 games against the easiest schedule I can remember in 20 years.
I sort of agree with this but on the positive side, our schedule is full of teams like Purdue and Iowa State that don't have much more talent than us. It's fortunate we miss the tough teams like OSU, MSU, etc this year. As bad as we were last year, we were about two plays away from 9 wins as we pulled defeat from the jaws of victory against Nebraska and ISU.

Originally posted by FlickShagwell:
Compare the two teams position by position. Which roster would you rather have? 

QB
2000 Scott Mullen, Kyle McCann, Jon Beutjer
2015 CJ Beathard, Tyler Wiegers

RB
2000 Ladell Betts, Robbie Crocket, Henry Polio, Jeremy Allen, Jonathon Babineaux
2015 Jordan Canzeri, Leshun Daniels, Akrum Wadley, Adam Cox, Macon Plewa

WR
2000 Kevin Kasper, Kahlil Hill, Ryan Barton, Chris Oliver
2015 Tevaun Smith, Matt Vandeberg, Jacob Hillyer, Andrew Stone, Riley McCarron

TE
2000 Kyle Trippeer, Robert Gallery
2015 Jake Duzey, HKC, George Kittle

OL
2000 AJ Blazek, Alonzo Cunningham, Bruce Nelson, Sam Aiello, Ben Sobieski, Eric Steinbach, Robert Gallery
2015 Walsh, Blythe, Boettger, Myers, Welsh

DL 
2000 Anthony Herron, Derrick Pickens, Jerry Montgomery, Aaron Kampman
2015 Ott, Meier, Johnson, Bazata

LB's 
2000 LeVar Woods, Mike Dolezol, Roger Meyer
2015 Bo Bower, Ben Neimann, Josey Jewell

CB's
2000 Benny Sapp, DJ Johnson, Matt Stockdale
2015 Desmond King, Greg Mabin, Fleming, Draper

Safties
2000 Bob Sanders, Shane Hall
2015 Lomax, Taylor

Punter 
2000 Jason Baker
2015 Kornbrath? Kidd? 

Kicker
2000 Nate Kaeding
2015 Marshall Koehn 

For me, 2015 is only clearly better at QB, TE, and CB.

There's better depth at runningback on this year's team, but no one as good as Betts.

2000 was light years ahead of this group at WR, special teams, and linebacker and had better depth at QB. 

Otherwise, it's just a mess of guys who are maybe as good as that 3-9 squad, but that otherwise have no business starting for a coach in his 17th season. 

We've come full circle under KF, I'm afraid. 

Agree with everything here.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:
Originally posted by FlickShagwell:

Compare the two teams position by position. Which roster would you rather have?

QB
2000 Scott Mullen, Kyle McCann, Jon Beutjer
2015 CJ Beathard, Tyler Wiegers

RB
2000 Ladell Betts, Robbie Crocket, Henry Polio, Jeremy Allen, Jonathon Babineaux
2015 Jordan Canzeri, Leshun Daniels, Akrum Wadley, Adam Cox, Macon Plewa

WR
2000 Kevin Kasper, Kahlil Hill, Ryan Barton, Chris Oliver
2015 Tevaun Smith, Matt Vandeberg, Jacob Hillyer, Andrew Stone, Riley McCarron

TE
2000 Kyle Trippeer, Robert Gallery
2015 Jake Duzey, HKC, George Kittle

OL
2000 AJ Blazek, Alonzo Cunningham, Bruce Nelson, Sam Aiello, Ben Sobieski, Eric Steinbach, Robert Gallery
2015 Walsh, Blythe, Boettger, Myers, Welsh

DL
2000 Anthony Herron, Derrick Pickens, Jerry Montgomery, Aaron Kampman
2015 Ott, Meier, Johnson, Bazata

LB's
2000 LeVar Woods, Mike Dolezol, Roger Meyer
2015 Bo Bower, Ben Neimann, Josey Jewell

CB's
2000 Benny Sapp, DJ Johnson, Matt Stockdale
2015 Desmond King, Greg Mabin, Fleming, Draper

Safties
2000 Bob Sanders, Shane Hall
2015 Lomax, Taylor

Punter
2000 Jason Baker
2015 Kornbrath? Kidd?

Kicker
2000 Nate Kaeding
2015 Marshall Koehn

For me, 2015 is only clearly better at QB, TE, and CB.

There's better depth at runningback on this year's team, but no one as good as Betts.

2000 was light years ahead of this group at WR, special teams, and linebacker and had better depth at QB.

Otherwise, it's just a mess of guys who are maybe as good as that 3-9 squad, but that otherwise have no business starting for a coach in his 17th season.

We've come full circle under KF, I'm afraid.

Agree with everything here.

In 15 years I will tell you guys if I agree.

Blinders on.

..wow. even sports sites say our 'ship has sailed'...but posters here think we are contenders...Iowa continues it's spiral down...Minnesota has surpassed Iowa....(but we are contenders.lol)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT