ADVERTISEMENT

Countertop pizza ovens

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We are in the throes of refinishing the basement. We will have a full-sized refrigerator down there and an undercounter microwave. I don't want to go too crazy with it, given we have a kitchen upstairs, but I wanted something to make snacks, frozen pizzas, etc. Ventilation, or a lack thereof is a consideration, so I don't want something prone to kicking off smoke. Also, I want something not too big that can be stored in uppers/lowers when not being used. Of all the contraptions, the simple one linked below seems to be well-reviewed. Anyone have one they like for this limited purpose?

Reactions: Moral and RileyHawk
I think you’re overthinking it. I would get something more practical and more functional/diverse.

But to be honest, I would probably just walk up and down the stairs twice for a frozen pizza the two times/month it would be needed.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Wouldn’t a countertop oven be more practical?

I mean I recall those being highly thought of - but seems to be a very specific product. Like a panini maker.
Could very well be. I welcome suggestions and input. My only concerns with countertop ovens would be: (1) will it fit in my cabinets in the basement when not in use; and (2) will crumbs/melting cheese cause smoke issues. I am thinking about my teenaged kids using something down there. Well, I am most concerned about my almost 20 son letting crumbs and gunk build up, causing an issue.

I'll sell you our pizzazz. We thought we'd use it for the same thing, have used it exactly once. We do have a full toaster oven though, and that's overall better. But still, we've only used that a few times as well.

Edit.... Also have a barley used George Foreman grill available. Someone gave us one when I was in residency for Xmas. From someone who saw how small our rental house was in St. Louis. 1. We're in our 30s and learned how to cook. B. Where the hell did you think this was gonna go?

Last edited:
I think you’re overthinking it. I would get something more practical and more functional/diverse.

But to be honest, I would probably just walk up and down the stairs twice for a frozen pizza the two times/month it would be needed.
Well, part of it too is with my kids getting older the space will eventually become more of an adult party room with a pool table and shuffle board table. I want something self-contained for game watches and such. But you are right, I am probably overthinking it.

We are in the throes of refinishing the basement. We will have a full-sized refrigerator down there and an undercounter microwave. I don't want to go too crazy with it, given we have a kitchen upstairs, but I wanted something to make snacks, frozen pizzas, etc. Ventilation, or a lack thereof is a consideration, so I don't want something prone to kicking off smoke. Also, I want something not too big that can be stored in uppers/lowers when not being used. Of all the contraptions, the simple one linked below seems to be well-reviewed. Anyone have one they like for this limited purpose?

The pizzazz is amazing. I've had like 3 or 4 over the last 20 years. Great for reheating things as well if you dont want it all mushy in the microwave. I make stuff for the kids all the time, frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets, fries, quesadillas, etc.

I suggest a good dumbwaiter. Tell your servant(s) what you want and have them lower it down to you when it's ready.

With what you're already doing, if you're sure you don't want burners, I would put in an under counter oven and a dishwasher...

With what you're already doing, if you're sure you don't want burners I would put in an under counter oven and a dishwasher...
I am doing a dishwasher and a sink with garbage disposal. I don’t have the footprint for an oven.

i was/am also looking for a good one that gets up to a high temp but the better ones seem suited for the patios (ie outdoors). costco has a indoors electric with good specs for an insanely good price but the downside (to me) is that it apparently runs a very loud cooldown fan for an hour afterwards. Chefman Electric Indoor Pizza Oven.

Paging @FSUTribe76 - I assume you have a weighted average list with detailed narrative for at least 15 competing products?
:)

After looking into this topic myself, the two that I settled on are this one for indoors:

It is safe for indoor applications (although I’d put a high heat thermal pad underneath just to be safe), gets to 800 degrees which is more than enough to do NYC thin style, Connecticut Apizza style and Neopolitan Style plus broil up some great NYC style steaks and all for under $300. The only downsides is that you don’t get any smoke flavor which does enhance certain pizza styles and you’re capped at 12 inch pizzas.

The other option I would suggest is this one that’s even cheaper at under $200.

The positives are that it’s a pellet smoker that still gets hot enough for NYC thin, Apizza and Neopolitan styles AND can handle up to a 16 inch pizza. The negative is that it can’t be used inside without a special hood, it is mainly outdoors.

i was/am also looking for a good one that gets up to a high temp but the better ones seem suited for the patios (ie outdoors). costco has a indoors electric with good specs for an insanely good price but the downside (to me) is that it apparently runs a very loud cooldown fan for an hour afterwards. Chefman Electric Indoor Pizza Oven.

After looking into this topic myself, the two that I settled on are this one for indoors:

It is safe for indoor applications (although I’d put a high heat thermal pad underneath just to be safe), gets to 800 degrees which is more than enough to do NYC thin style, Connecticut Apizza style and Neopolitan Style plus broil up some great NYC style steaks and all for under $300. The only downsides is that you don’t get any smoke flavor which does enhance certain pizza styles and you’re capped at 12 inch pizzas.

The other option I would suggest is this one that’s even cheaper at under $200.

The positives are that it’s a pellet smoker that still gets hot enough for NYC thin, Apizza and Neopolitan styles AND can handle up to a 16 inch pizza. The negative is that it can’t be used inside without a special hood, it is mainly outdoors.
Second option is preferable. You want near 1000 degrees and a bigger crust diameter to really match the style. I think I've seen propane options for these, which would be preferable, IMO. (I'm moreso interested in new york that neopolitan wood fired)

Reactions: FSUTribe76
That looks like a potential winner. Looks like if they front tray thingy is removed, it would fit in an 18" deep lower.

That one doesn’t get any hotter than a standard oven so if you’ve already got an oven there’s no point to it. Both of the ones I sent you get several hundred degrees hotter than a standard oven and can cook all styles of pizza.

Your standard oven temps can make exceptionally good Stromboli, both Chicago styles, Detroit style, Quad city style, Roman deep dish “pinza”, styles, Sicilian style, Grandma slice, French pissaladiere etc…. But it won’t make good NYC thin, Connecticut apizza, California style, Romano Tonda (thin crust Roman pizza) or especially Neopolitan style pizzas.

That one doesn’t get any hotter than a standard oven so if you’ve already got an oven there’s no point to it. Both of the ones I sent you get several hundred degrees hotter than a standard oven and can cook all styles of pizza.

Your standard oven temps can make exceptionally good Stromboli, both Chicago styles, Detroit style, Quad city style, Roman deep dish “pinza”, styles, Sicilian style, Grandma slice, French pissaladiere etc…. But it won’t make good NYC thin, Connecticut apizza, California style, Romano Tonda (thin crust Roman pizza) or especially Neopolitan style pizzas.
Thanks for the feedback. I looked at both of those, actually. If this was for my main kitchen, the chef man would be a contender. Hell, I might even go for the breville or ooni. I know they don’t have basements in Florida but this is for a basement, so I guess its like having three stories where the main living area and kitchen are the first floor, and a secondary living area is on second floor, but somehow smaller than the first floor, and space is at a premium. The bigger and better options are just too much oven, although they would be great options for the main living area with kitchen.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT