ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***D.J. Johnson commits to Iowa***

Wasn't there a cornerback named DJ Johnson on the 2002 Orange Bowl team?

Not in stars, but in solid prospects I feel like this class will outshine the 5* class of 2005.

Some recruits just seem "to be Hawkeyes", like if you drew up a set of attributes to be a Kirk Ferentz type recruit before you even start talking about how good a football player he is.

This kid seems to be a perfect fit in that regard.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
According to ND, OSU and ISU sources he did not have an offer from ND. I don't care about the Clowns but did he he an offer from ND? I love getting him but don't want to lose credibility about saying he chose the Hawks over ND if there was no commitable offer to ND. I love the kid tho.

Iowa football: Recruiting great players AND GREAT human beings. A win-win. Pretty cool to announce on his Mom's bday. Welcome aboard Mr. Johnson. Go Hawks!

According to ND, OSU and ISU sources he did not have an offer from ND. I don't care about the Clowns but did he he an offer from ND? I love getting him but don't want to lose credibility about saying he chose the Hawks over ND if there was no commitable offer to ND. I love the kid tho.

Lose credibility? It isn't the Iowa football program claiming that he had an ND offer, it is the recruiting community. It is all 3rd hand anyways.

Reactions: F6n6

Hearing ISU fans chirp about 4* recruits is cute. They've had what, maybe 2 or 3 in the past 30 years. Who gives a flying **** what they say. Obviously butthurt over Iowa landing a stud.

Boys I totally agree. I am simply curious. Of course real programs like ND and OSU will say no committabe offers after a recruit goes elsewhere. And of course ISU will jump on board to try and diminish the players they can never get. I was only asking. Either way, no way ISU could ever get a guy like this and ND and others will be sorry they didn't.

This was the one I wanted. He's going to continue the rich secondary heritage that we have had with both Norm and Phil Parker. These in-roads the staff are making in Indiana are going to pay off. Kelvin Bell was an incredible hire.

I am beyond excited to see what Rugamba, Jackson, Ojemudia, and Hankins can do this year. Add DJ Johnson into the mix and CB will be as stacked as ever. I have a suspicion that Rugamba is a Thorpe Award type player, but not if he finds himself in KF and Parker's doghouse.

Last edited:
He'll fit in well with the Iowa program and culture. Glad to have D.J. aboard. Hopefully the staff can lock down Brents and Waggoner as well and we'll be off to one of the better classes in recent memory

It takes hindsight to judge a class obviously but going by rankings this class would need some big surprises to match last years class. Last year we had a 247 composite 5* (AJ) and two composite 4*s (Wirfs and Kallenberger). If we land Waggoner and Brents, that would give us one composite 4* and two 3* (Brents, Johnson) among our 3 highest rated guys.

Of course this team has shown us the last 3 years you don't have to be loaded with top 25 recruiting classes to play your way into a New Years Day bowl game.

Boys I totally agree. I am simply curious. Of course real programs like ND and OSU will say no committabe offers after a recruit goes elsewhere. And of course ISU will jump on board to try and diminish the players they can never get. I was only asking. Either way, no way ISU could ever get a guy like this and ND and others will be sorry they didn't.

I don't think there's any way to know 100%. What we know is he had an ND offer.

Reactions: meatloaf55
It takes hindsight to judge a class obviously but going by rankings this class would need some big surprises to match last years class. Last year we had a 247 composite 5* (AJ) and two composite 4*s (Wirfs and Kallenberger). If we land Waggoner and Brents, that would give us one composite 4* and two 3* (Brents, Johnson) among our 3 highest rated guys.

Of course this team has shown us the last 3 years you don't have to be loaded with top 25 recruiting classes to play your way into a New Years Day bowl game.

Johnson is a composite 4*.

Here are a couple responses from ND fans on another site:

"Amazing pick up Iowa.

We were a distant second. So frustrating to see top notch talent leaving the state. The fact that we didn't get a single CB in last year's class and don't have one in this years class makes this one hurt even more."

"CB is arguably the position we need the most. You guys straight up won. We reportedly stopped recruiting him a while ago but that was probably because you guys were so far ahead."

also

"Word is the staff was not in love with him and passed. Problem is WE HAVE ZERO CORNERS ON THE BOARD!!!!!"

So my guess is they would have, at least, taken a verbal from him.

Brilliant!
giphy.gif

Also he is now a 3* composite according to 247. Hmmm.

edit: there was an issue on the composite earlier today that linked him to a 2* player in Louisiana with the same name.

I don't care if ND was commitable or not. Very happy to have DJ join the Hawkeyes!

Seems like the UI staff did a great job recruiting this kid - and I'd say that he did a great job in choosing the right program. Feels like a good match - welcome aboard!

Funny how DJ has always been listed as 4-star on Rivals and 3 star on 247 or vice a versa. Wonder if he's now a solid 3 star because he committed to Iowa. Lol
Read something on twitter today here are the basics:
247 = 4*
Scout = 4*
Rivals = 3*
ESPN = NR
Yesterday morning 247 composite = 4*
ESPN updated their rankings yesterday
247 composite now = 3*

Funny how DJ has always been listed as 4-star on Rivals and 3 star on 247 or vice a versa. Wonder if he's now a solid 3 star because he committed to Iowa. Lol
Actually he's never been a 4-star on Rivals. He's always been a 5.7 RR 3-star, which is the highest 3-star ranking. That's what he was last week and that's what he is today.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT