ADVERTISEMENT

Dale Jone's Commits Pool...what time do we find out?

Originally posted by DanL53:

Originally posted by 2432Hawk:

Takes a lot, but makes a lot of 3 point shots.

That's the part that gets me excited. I've read he hit 45% and made 95 or 96 last season?

To put that in perspective our most prolific 3 point shooter was Uthoff, and he hit 54 of 145 for a .372 clip.

Only two shooters in the Big Ten did better, Mark Loving and Nick Zeisloft. .465 and .453.

As to that many shots? Russell and Valentine made 90 and 89. .415 and .418
imagine....Uthoff - Jones - Jok in a game together...scary.

Originally posted by hawk-i bob:

That's the part that gets me excited. I've read he hit 45% and made 95 or 96 last season?

To put that in perspective our most prolific 3 point shooter was Uthoff, and he hit 54 of 145 for a .372 clip.

Only two shooters in the Big Ten did better, Mark Loving and Nick Zeisloft. .465 and .453.

Or when Woody rests those three and any of several options at the shooting guard.

Or when Woody rests those three and any of several options at the shooting guard.
Only problem might be that you have to play at both ends of the court
smile.r191677.gif

Dale Jones has officially committed and signed his nation letter of intent to the University of Iowa according to Tyler CC head coach Mike Marquis!

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
Originally posted by jhawkinaz:
Hey is this guy really that good? Just asking, I don't follow that close to recruiting. It seems from all the angst that this is a really big deal?

There were a lot of nervous nellies on here before Trey Dickerson finally said yes too I believe.

Separate but recruiting related note, does anyone know how Atwood did? That was a pretty big letdown IIRC. I live in Phoenix and din't hear a thing about him. Although down here you really have to follow the team to hear much since there is so much going on sports-wise.
Highly unproductive. He ended the season as the 9th or 10th man for ASU, averaging like 2 pts and 2 boards a game or something like that. Speculation around here suggested that when he came here for his visit, he got worked in pick-up games pretty good and both sides backed off.
Interesting. Thanks.

If Jones can come in and have a big impact, I am feeling a lot better about depth for next year since you just never know about the freshman. It's great if they contribute.....but unless they are big-time, its hard to count on them for lots of minutes.

Originally posted by FootballChamp1:
Dale Jones has officially committed and signed his nation letter of intent to the University of Iowa according to Tyler CC head coach Mike Marquis!
Oh, thank God. We can all breathe again. Now lets go back to feeling depressed that the big guy from Purdue didn't go pro.

Originally posted by mangypolecat:
Originally posted by FootballChamp1:

Oh, thank God. We can all breathe again. Now lets go back to feeling depressed that the big guy from Purdue didn't go pro.

Or we can thank god that he didn't go pro and all of Iowa's 6'8 guys can get him worn out running his ass up and down the court instead of standing motionless in the lane. :)
Posted from Rivals Mobile

My sarcasm wasn't put on heavy enough... sorry! I would just as soon see no Big Ten players ever leave early. I want to see Iowa do better because we have become a better team rather than do better because everyone else got worse. A stronger league is good for all the teams.

I don't follow the recruiting scene at all, so I will only say I hope this Jones kid turns out to be a good one.

Originally posted by hawkeyemark:
Fran has never struck me as all that fond of big men who shoot 3's from the outside although he hasn't really had that with Woodbury and Olesani. If he really has only grown to 6'8" Jones doesn't seem all that "big". I would think Fran would want a forward who plays more on the inside. If more talented with two years of experience Jones will likely play ahead of the other recruits but it seems like we have quite a few bodies in that size range. I don't really get it. As Fran says we will have a different team next season but the drop off in size seems significant.
I guess we'll have to trust the coach that has given us almost 70 wins in the last 3 years. IMO Fran has always said he's about getting the best players on board and building the game plan around them. In that context the only thing we really haven't replaced is our Sr Center.

The real drop off in size next year will be when Woody is on the bench, and PF because White had the reach of a taller player than 6'9". With the newcomers we'll get some sense if athleticism and quickness is a replacement for reach, although we still have some longer players in that group. We'll also see if Fran plans to spread teams out with more 3 point shooters.

Over the last couple of seasons we lost Basabe and McCabe, both around 6'7", and Olaseni and White. Basabe and McCabe have been replaced size wise, and we've added some more athleticism and possibly more potential size at PG (assuming Williams and/or Fleming or Moss can play PG). It will be interesting to see if the newcomers can continue to build even better success than the relatively tall team of the past couple of seasons.

Originally posted by seer_hawk:

Fran has never struck me as all that fond of big men who shoot 3's from the outside although he hasn't really had that with Woodbury and Olesani. If he really has only grown to 6'8" Jones doesn't seem all that "big". I would think Fran would want a forward who plays more on the inside. If more talented with two years of experience Jones will likely play ahead of the other recruits but it seems like we have quite a few bodies in that size range. I don't really get it. As Fran says we will have a different team next season but the drop off in size seems significant.
I guess we'll have to trust the coach that has given us almost 70 wins in the last 3 years. IMO Fran has always said he's about getting the best players on board and building the game plan around them. In that context the only thing we really haven't replaced is our Sr Center.

The real drop off in size next year will be when Woody is on the bench, and PF because White had the reach of a taller player than 6'9". With the newcomers we'll get some sense if athleticism and quickness is a replacement for reach, although we still have some longer players in that group. We'll also see if Fran plans to spread teams out with more 3 point shooters.

Over the last couple of seasons we lost Basabe and McCabe, both around 6'7", and Olaseni and White. Basabe and McCabe have been replaced size wise, and we've added some more athleticism and possibly more potential size at PG (assuming Williams and/or Fleming or Moss can play PG). It will be interesting to see if the newcomers can continue to build even better success than the relatively tall team of the past couple of seasons.
I trust Fran and even like his coaching better than I used to but I don't especially like the make-up of this recruiting class even though they all seem like good players. On the front line we recruited all wing forwards when we lost two key players in the post. Maybe Fran can win in the Big Ten with smallish forwards against all that size some teams will throw at us we'll see. I think we'll really miss Olesani- he held down the post pretty well with Woodbury out which as you say we won't have next season. Other than Williams who appears can play at the point we didn't especially recruit to needs with this class which I find a little disappointing.
This post was edited on 4/20 3:59 PM by hawkeyemark

we lost a total of 4" - White 6'9" Jones 6'8"...Gabe 6'10" Wagner 6'7"..

we gained a tremendous upswing in outside shooting...quickness...athletes (although I hate that word)..

as has been stated over & over .. the landscape has changed...stretch 4's have more impact than the traditional PF/C...

starting lineup of: (has plenty of size)
Uthoff 6'9"
Jones 6'8"
Woodbury 7'1"
Jok 6'6"
Gesell 6'1" / Clemmons backup 6'1"

we gained a tremendous upswing in outside shooting...quickness...athletes (although I hate that word)..

as has been stated over & over .. the landscape has changed...stretch 4's have more impact than the traditional PF/C...

Uthoff 6'9"
Jones 6'8"
Woodbury 7'1"
Jok 6'6"
I know everybody seems enamored with this stretch 4 concept and more coaches play forwards in the power forward slot who have more of an outside game. But the Big Ten remains a very physical league with some very big power forwards who you have to find a way to match up against. Your starting line-up puts what size we have all in the first five. We get pretty small when we take out that group especially Woodbury.

Uthoff 6'9"
Jones 6'8"
Woodbury 7'1"
Jok 6'6"

And, again, a lineup in 2012/13 at Iowa that included Woodbury and Olaseni for only 27.2 mpg, and the rest of the time was 6'7" Basabe, and 6'7" McCabe defending bigs, actually finished BETTER defensively than last years lineup that featured Woody and Basabe almost exclusively in the post.

Going off Kenpom. 2012/13 #22. 2014/15 #33.

We can use our tweeners to hustle, front, deny the ball and basically cause havoc with the bigs. We can also expect with a much deeper bench to run way more often. Maybe we'll cause somebody like Haas to kill over!

We are obviously moving towards a four man out offense practically exclusively. For that matter we were last year with White! That's not a bad thing. Indiana was an outside offense and ranked in the top 10 on KenPom. They just didn't happen to want to play any defense.

Which, no doubt we will need Woody to play his role, and in 2016/17 we're going to need bodies that can defend bigs.

But there is no reason to get too worried. We've got three scholarships and a coach that seems to know what he is doing. Getting Jones today was a big deal. He falls right into that role we were after.

Edit to add, HawkeyeMark we were posting at the same time. I get what you are saying about power forwards but you know who is MOST enamored with the stretch four concept? High school power forwards. And some high school centers. They all want to play facing the basket these days.

This post was edited on 4/20 5:57 PM by DanL53

"Edit to add, HawkeyeMark we were posting at the same time. I get what you are saying about power forwards but you know who is MOST enamored with the stretch four concept? High school power forwards. And some high school centers. They all want to play facing the basket these days."

If I coached a talented high school big man I would probably encourage him to play with his back to the basket for that very reason. I think it often pays to go against the grain.

Uthoff 6'9"
Jones 6'8"
Woodbury 7'1"
Jok 6'6"
I know everybody seems enamored with this stretch 4 concept and more coaches play forwards in the power forward slot who have more of an outside game. But the Big Ten remains a very physical league with some very big power forwards who you have to find a way to match up against. Your starting line-up puts what size we have all in the first five. We get pretty small when we take out that group especially Woodbury.
yes very physical...like Dawson at Mich St who played the 4 @ 6'6"... final 4 team....not bad.

not saying Jones is a Dawson but he is bigger...and certainly appears to be a lot better offensively.

And, again, a lineup in 2012/13 at Iowa that included Woodbury and Olaseni for only 27.2 mpg, and the rest of the time was 6'7" Basabe, and 6'7" McCabe defending bigs, actually finished BETTER defensively than last years lineup that featured Woody and Basabe almost exclusively in the post.

We can use our tweeners to hustle, front, deny the ball and basically cause havoc with the bigs. We can also expect with a much deeper bench to run way more often. Maybe we'll cause somebody like Haas to kill over!

We are obviously moving towards a four man out offense practically exclusively. For that matter we were last year with White! That's not a bad thing. Indiana was an outside offense and ranked in the top 10 on KenPom. They just didn't happen to want to play any defense.

Which, no doubt we will need Woody to play his role, and in 2016/17 we're going to need bodies that can defend bigs.

But there is no reason to get too worried. We've got three scholarships and a coach that seems to know what he is doing. Getting Jones today was a big deal. He falls right into that role we were after.

Edit to add, HawkeyeMark we were posting at the same time. I get what you are saying about power forwards but you know who is MOST enamored with the stretch four concept? High school power forwards. And some high school centers. They all want to play facing the basket these days.

I have some of the same concerns as Mark, and I like what we've been able to do with size. I'm also a little frustrated with the lack of urgency at filling what I consider to be needs (PG and 5), but Fran is my age and he's been doing this since he was 26. Even though Marble wasn't a true PG look at the matchup problems he created. I guess we need to see what Fran has up his sleeve.

It's "keel over" Dan, unless a new idiom was started for Jerry "Kill" (sorry for not being PC here, but I couldn't resist).

Originally posted by seer_hawk:

I have some of the same concerns as Mark, and I like what we've been able to do with size. I'm also a little frustrated with the lack of urgency at filling what I consider to be needs (PG and 5), but Fran is my age and he's been doing this since he was 26. Even though Marble wasn't a true PG look at the matchup problems he created. I guess we need to see what Fran has up his sleeve.

It's "keel over" Dan, unless a new idiom was started for Jerry "Kill" (sorry for not being PC here, but I couldn't resist).

Thanks seer. Keel over. Nautical stuff. "To collapse or fall over, often through exhaustion or illness." That's better.

Uthoff 6'9"
Jones 6'8"
Woodbury 7'1"
Jok 6'6"

I also think it bears knowing we are likely headed for a 30 second (or even shorter) shot clock. (Maybe even next season). That certainly does not favor working the ball around so you can get it to your Hulk down low. The 4 out 1 in concept is something we see in the nba and now several college teams. It is damned hard to defend if you have shooters and drivers. Fran loves shooters and drivers and I think with this team he will finally have both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT