ADVERTISEMENT

Dale Jones commits to Iowa

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
Those who were worried, you don't need to anymore. Just spoke with Dale Jones and he's headed to Iowa.

giphy.gif

IMO, and I know very little, we just drew to a straight flush.

This is a quote from Dale Jones:

Dale Jones on Aaron White Comp: I feel like I can come in and do the same things. I think we're very similar size and skilled the same way.

Originally posted by FootballChamp1:

Dale Jones on Aaron White Comp: I feel like I can come in and do the same things. I think we're very similar size and skilled the same way.
I haven't seen the same explosion to the hoop from Jones as with White. Would love to see it. That, IMHO, is what made White special from a purely physical skills perspective. I'm hoping Dale can shoot better than Aaron. IF he has Aaron's length, that would be great.

Originally posted by FootballChamp1:

If he can rebound like Whitey did and shoot the 3 that would be awesome.

I don't anyone will or should expect him to fully replace one of the top 5 players to ever wear an Iowa uniform. But if he can provide say 8 points and 6 boards, he can at least contribute a chunk to replacing White/Gabe's value. I like that he's a senior age-wise (with two years to play obviously). Should be plenty mature and understand what it takes.

It really sucks there's basically no video of him. Pretty much have to go on stats and old high school video.

Originally posted by OnceAhawk:
so his eligibility is up in 2017, correct?
Yes if you mean the 2015-16, and 2016-17 seasons. He has 2 years to play 2 since he's already redshirted.

Thank heavens, Now I will not check this board every hour to get this result. It is going to fun to see the six new players in PT league.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
I don't anyone will or should expect him to fully replace one of the top 5 players to ever wear an Iowa uniform. But if he can provide say 8 points and 6 boards, he can at least contribute a chunk to replacing White/Gabe's value. I like that he's a senior age-wise (with two years to play obviously). Should be plenty mature and understand what it takes.

It really sucks there's basically no video of him. Pretty much have to go on stats and old high school video.
Here's a link to a short vid of Jones at Tyler JC. Shows him shooting a couple of 3s and a nice jump hook move. He does look bigger than in the HS vids.

Jones at Tyler JC

Adding all those little clips together, I liked what I saw. He made contested 3's and I like how he wasn't intimidated by the road fans.

This post was edited on 4/20 3:45 PM by farfaraway

yes, the road environments he experienced were very comparable to what he will see in the B1G
happy.r191677.gif

Originally posted by farfaraway:
Adding all those little clips together, I liked what I saw. He made contested 3's and I like how he wasn't intimidated by the road fans.

This post was edited on 4/20 3:45 PM by farfarawayyes

Nice crowd in that video. The Big Ten arenas ought to be pretty eye-opening to Mr. Jones.
I agree Ronman. Which is why although Jones is likely to have the most immediate impact of the incoming players, softening the loss of White and GO, Uhl may start and be the most 'improved' returning player. DU has seen those big crowds and is due for making a big jump in his game.

I was very intrigued to learn Iowa has been following Jones for quite sometime. That means that he, and Williams and Moss, were all under McCaffery's eye. To me that means it would not be unreasonable to believe any or all of them might be the neat little surprises we've enjoyed in the past.

I'll put it this way, Thad Matta recruits some dang highly ranked guys. And while Matta has enjoyed enviable success, he has had his share of players who either didn't pan out or showed good individual skills but may not have been great assets to their team (Deshaun Thomas). McCaffery on the other hand, to me, can spot the players that bring the intangibles. From my recollection, Ohio State and Iowa don't often compete for the same guys. Yet, of late, which team is enjoying more success over the other? The last two years Iowa 3-1. Previously we'd lost four as we rebuilt.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT