ADVERTISEMENT

Dale Jones

Tom has said that he's visiting the weekend of the 18th. I don't remember that he has said exactly when he'd be arriving. However, i'd bet he'll be updating as best he can as he finds out information, which likely won't be much until he either commits or heads home.

It's quite possible he commits during the visit. It's also quite possible he visits, heads back to school, discuss with parents/coaches and commits a day or two later.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Hawkeyestate81:

What is giong on here? Thought he'd visit this weekend/commit?
I'd tell you more info than is on this thread but you pick on me occasionally.

Nya Nya.
clown.r191677.gif

Right now Mr. Jones is in the bathroom "freshening up". we've ordered our appetizers and after we have eaten those, will place our Dinner order. I am not sure whether to go with the Salmon or the bacon wrapped shrimp. I think Dale might want a steak. Things are going well so far....oops...here he comes....more later......

Originally posted by hooper56:
Right now Mr. Jones is in the bathroom "freshening up". we've ordered our appetizers and after we have eaten those, will place our Dinner order. I am not sure whether to go with the Salmon or the bacon wrapped shrimp. I think Dale might want a steak. Things are going well so far....oops...here he comes....more later......

ha ha ha

How is Dale liking the IRPC? Are the salad plates still as horribly cold as I remember them?

Let me guess, the usual Limo ride with special tour guides is up next?

Edit to add, pick me up the duck in raspberry sauce. It isn't as good as the cherry glazing used to be but it is still the best duck I've found outside Chicago unless I make it myself.
This post was edited on 4/17 3:35 PM by DanL53

Originally posted by SSG T:
Tom has said that he's visiting the weekend of the 18th. I don't remember that he has said exactly when he'd be arriving. However, i'd bet he'll be updating as best he can as he finds out information, which likely won't be much until he either commits or heads home.

It's quite possible he commits during the visit. It's also quite possible he visits, heads back to school, discuss with parents/coaches and commits a day or two later.
If Jones is from Waterloo (isn't he?) you'd think his parents would be down to IC when he's there. So, that could speed things up.

Originally posted by IamHawkeye:
Originally posted by SSG T:

If Jones is from Waterloo (isn't he?) you'd think his parents would be down to IC when he's there. So, that could speed things up.

It could, but it's certainly possible (not saying likely) that he'd want to step back and think/discuss before deciding.

Or he could walk into the basketball facility and say "holy s---, Coach, I'm yours".

Plates are warm and food is fantastic. Last time I was there was selection Sunday and Coach Dillard was asking about Ashleigh that was off work that day. Gesell, Olaseni, Clemmons, Denning, & Oglesby made an appearance as well.

By now Dale should have a tummy full of silver dollar pancakes and is probably touring the facilities about now.

Hawkeyestate81 - are you a petty, adolescent girl? If not, stop acting like one.

Was down by the facilities.....Mr. Jones strikes up a conversation with a black-haired flamenco dancer...

It seems to me that we need Jones to back up Woody at the 5, at least at times. I think the kid has doubts about that scenario. Playing against Hammons, Haas, transfer to MD, stud from Indiana going to MSU and obviously there are more players than that, may not sound to good to him. Woody has not shown he can stay on the court and who else plays the 5 on this team? Did he play center at Tyler? I think he played power forward, I guess I'm dating myself, the stretch 4 position. I want the kid to succeed and I believe this coaching staff has a plan that will succeed, hope he sees it too. Planning for the worst, hoping for the best.

Originally posted by icwesthawk:
It seems to me that we need Jones to back up Woody at the 5, at least at times. I think the kid has doubts about that scenario. Playing against Hammons, Haas, transfer to MD, stud from Indiana going to MSU and obviously there are more players than that, may not sound to good to him. Woody has not shown he can stay on the court and who else plays the 5 on this team? Did he play center at Tyler? I think he played power forward, I guess I'm dating myself, the stretch 4 position. I want the kid to succeed and I believe this coaching staff has a plan that will succeed, hope he sees it too. Planning for the worst, hoping for the best.
I really don't have a clue as to what Jones may think but your point has some validity especially if we would happen to miss out on Jones. I've felt all along that Fran missed the boat bringing in so many wing players when we have an obvious need in the middle- a center prospect who could play some power forward preferably (and I have no problem using that term- this stretch four thing seems trendy). Jones would fill an obvious need if he sees it that way. I want to see how we fare against all these big bodies in the Big Ten with the roster heading in the current direction.

It will be really interesting watching Hammons, Swanigan, Powell, etc try and guard Jones out by the 3point line. He will be a matchup nightmare for some teams.

It will be really interesting watching Hammons, Swanigan, Powell, etc try and guard Jones out by the 3point line. He will be a matchup nightmare for some teams.
Big men who can shoot definitely pose problems but this works two ways. Jones will also have to defend some of those big boys on the inside- Woodbury can't do it by himself and often gets in foul trouble.

I'm not totally concerned about not having a true 'center' on the floor; especially with the length and athleticism Iowa can put out there even without Woodbury. At any given time you can go: 6'9", 6'8", 6'8", 6'6", point guard. You could do this for brief periods without Woodbury on the court. If Iowa is consistently having someone like Uhl guarding Hammons, then yes there will be a mismatch. But, I think there are many options to be played with good athletes who have at least 'some' height.

That's the way I'm seeing the asset of having Jones. Replacing White, not Olaseni. Only it won't be guys like you mentioned chasing him around, it'll be other stretch fours.

The Bigs? Woody is going up against some massive guys and yes when he is out we will be small. I am hoping that Woody can go 25-28 minutes a game. If he can then the comparison could be made to 2012/13 when Olaseni and Woody played a total of 27.2 mpg and the rest of the time guys like McCabe, Basabe, pretended to be centers.

Maybe on defense we use Jones/Wagner/Uthoff on the inside? Not perfect but in 2012/13 our KenPom defense was rated #22 in Division One. Better than last year's #34.

We get Jones? I'm not worried about our D this year unless Woody gets hurt. We do need help for 2016/17 though.

Originally posted by mstp1992:
I'm not totally concerned about not having a true 'center' on the floor; especially with the length and athleticism Iowa can put out there even without Woodbury. At any given time you can go: 6'9", 6'8", 6'8", 6'6", point guard. You could do this for brief periods without Woodbury on the court. If Iowa is consistently having someone like Uhl guarding Hammons, then yes there will be a mismatch. But, I think there are many options to be played with good athletes who have at least 'some' height.
I believe I read concerning Gabe Olaseni at the Portsmouth event, that he was measured at only 6'8 1/2".
We wouldn't lose all that much with Jones height-wise. Besides, it's pretty obvious from recruiting that Fran is going to more wings, less back-to-the-basket bigs. To put it another way, Fran appears to be much more concerned with our lack of shooting the last couple of years than team size through his recruiting efforts.

Or very LONG periods without Woodbury... We will make teams play to our game. With ball denial defense, if needed. But a lot of good a big guy is going to do for the opposition if we are draining shots from outside the lane.

Originally posted by hawkeyeguy69:

Or very LONG periods without Woodbury... We will make teams play to our game. With ball denial defense, if needed. But a lot of good a big guy is going to do for the opposition if we are draining shots from outside the lane.
We don't have much for proven three point shooters. Ellingson looks the part but has very little playing experience. Fleming and Jones both appear capable but you can't really count on freshmen. I think Fran rightly wants to improve our shooting but I don't how much spreading of the floor he can do with this group next season. What we will look like with Woodbury not on the floor seems one of the major question marks going into next season.

Originally posted by hawkeyemark:

We don't have much for proven three point shooters. Ellingson looks the part but has very little playing experience. Fleming and Jones both appear capable but you can't really count on freshmen. I think Fran rightly wants to improve our shooting but I don't how much spreading of the floor he can do with this group next season. What we will look like with Woodbury not on the floor seems one of the major question marks going into next season.
Jok? Uthoff?

Originally posted by RockChalkTigerHawk:

Originally posted by hawkeyemark:

Jok? Uthoff?
I'll give you those two but I don't see either one as guys you would spread the floor with. Jok doesn't seem that consistent and while Uthoff has a nice 3 ball think he has a better game in the two point range and inside. Fran does seem to adapt well to his personnel and maybe we will become more of an outside shooting team that I envision but we'll just have to see.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Originally posted by Kurt Warner:
Who all has offered jones?
According to Rivals, Iowa.
Per Tom Kakert....
Mentioned it many times already and Coach Marquis isn't one to give out names of other schools that were trying to get in. He basically shut them down before they could get in because Iowa had done a great job developing the relationship with Jones. The schools that have been mentioned were Minnesota and Auburn. There were many others at the high major level.

so it appears "other" schools tried to get involved late...to late. Nice job Fran & staff.
This post was edited on 4/20 7:29 PM by hawk-i bob

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Originally posted by Kurt Warner:
Who all has offered jones?
According to Rivals, Iowa.
I think it's a little harder to get an accurate read on JUCO's, since for the most part they are on a shorter recruiting cycle, and many don't make visits, or sign until Spring. I'll give you an example of an impressive JUCO who's offer list looks lacking. In 2011 we started hearing of a JUCO prospect named Pierre Jackson somewhere between February and April. After an impressive showing in the playoff's he secured offers from Iowa, Baylor, and Creighton. He made 2 quick visits to Creighton and Baylor, and committed to Baylor before an Iowa visit. How many schools tried to get involved? Rivals shows 3 offers.

Per someone who knows the Tyler HC (a reputable Lounge member), and Tom K many schools were inquiring about Jones, but he was sold on Iowa so we got the visit, and his commitment. That doesn't mean Iowa was his only potential high major offer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT