ADVERTISEMENT

Details for Saturday's Spring Game Activities

Apr 8, 2003
IOWA CITY, Iowa - - The University of Iowa will conclude spring practice with an open practice Saturday, April 25, at Kinnick Stadium, presented by Coke Zero. The final practice will being at 1 p.m., with gates opening at noon.

The event will feature the offense versus the defense, with a unique scoring system that is similar to what has been used the past two seasons, allowing both the offense and defense to score points based on performance. A 20-minute autograph session with members of the Hawkeye football team will begin at 12:35 p.m.

The Hawkeye Sports Network will be on the air from 1 to 2 p.m., with Gary Dolphin and Rob Brooks discussing spring football and the upcoming season. Affiliates include KCZE (New Hampton), KDTH (Dubuque), KUOO (Spirit Lake), WHO (Des Moines), KGLO (Mason City), WMT (Cedar Rapids), KSCJ (Sioux City), and WOC (Davenport). The broadcast can also be heard on Sirius channel 108 and XM 195 on satellite radio.

There is no admission charge. Fans are invited to join forces with the UI Athletics Department and the Johnson County Crisis Center in the annual Food Bank Drive. Fans are invited to bring non-perishable food items to the event. Collection bins will be located in Krause Family Plaza, beginning at 11 a.m., and at each of the open entrances to Kinnick Stadium, beginning at noon.

The west and south grandstands will be open for spectators. Gates A, F and G will open at noon. Roster cards for Saturday’s practice will be available at the entrances, along with autograph posters, Iowa schedule cards for the 2015 season and B1G posters and schedule cards. Normal game day procedures will be in effect. Patrons should expect delays if they are attempting to carry purses or bags into Kinnick Stadium on Saturday.

Parking will be available in all University parking lots adjacent to Kinnick Stadium. Fans with recreational vehicles will be able to park Friday after 7 p.m. in UI Lot 75 south of Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Please note: normal daily parking rates will be in effect in the parking ramps adjacent to UI Hospitals and Clinics.

Pre-event activities will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Krause Family Plaza at the south end of Kinnick Stadium. The Elite Chevy Kids Zone will feature a bounce house, football toss, soccer, tattoos, free foam fingers for the first 250 kids, and more.

The UI Children’s Hospital will also feature an opportunity to sign a beam that will be used in the new Children’s Hospital. Fans can sign the beam from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The beam will be lifted onto the top of the Children’s Hospital, located directly across the street from Kinnick Stadium, immediately following the practice.

Herky’s Locker Room -- the official team store of the Iowa Hawkeyes -- will not conduct its annual clearance sale Saturday morning, but will be selling merchandise in Krause Family Plaza and at Gate M. Fans will be able to purchase official sideline gear for the 2015 season.

Fans are reminded that Iowa City ordinance prohibit the consumption of any alcoholic beverage on UI and public property, which includes UI parking lots and parking ramps. As in the past, the ordinance is in effect on the day of the annual open-to-the-public spring football practice.

Questions concerning the purchase of 2015 football tickets, including general public, UI faculty/staff and UI student seasons tickets by current UI students, should be directed to the UI Athletics Ticket Office. The office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The office telephone number is 1-800-IA-HAWKS.

Iowa opens the 2015 football season Sept. 5, hosting Illinois State. The Hawkeyes will also host non-conference opponents Pittsburgh (Sept. 19) and North Texas (Sept. 26), along with Big Ten foes Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Purdue. Home dates with Pittsburgh and Minnesota will be held in primetime and televised on BTN.

Reactions: BRANDONJ8
do you know if the pre activities are for the adults too or only the kids thanks blair sanderson. I meant in the Krause family plaza. THANKS.

The idiots can't even get the schedule right. They list Indiana and Northwestern as home games, but they're on the road this year.

So parking only in "adjacent" lots? What about the dental or finkbine lots?

LOL, they're not going to let you park on a golf course on a Saturday in April. There won't be nearly as many people for this as a normal gameday, and no tailgating. The immediate parking right around the stadium is all they will need. You won't have to pay for it.

LOL, they're not going to let you park on a golf course on a Saturday in April. There won't be nearly as many people for this as a normal gameday, and no tailgating. The immediate parking right around the stadium is all they will need. You won't have to pay for it.

Talking about the finkbine commuter lot, not the main golf course lot. I guess I wasn't clear about that. Never even considered the actual golf course lot.

Talking about the finkbine commuter lot, not the main golf course lot. I guess I wasn't clear about that. Never even considered the actual golf course lot.

Why the hell would you want to park that far away when you don't have to?

Since it's a weekend with nothing major going on (other than than the football game, where everyone else will be parking literally right next to the stadium) I'd imagine that it will be fairly deserted, and I'm sure you could park there if you want to.

Since it's a weekend with nothing major going on (other than than the football game, where everyone else will be parking literally right next to the stadium) I'd imagine that it will be fairly deserted, and I'm sure you could park there if you want to.

In the past I've been unable to find parking near the stadium. I then started looking for parking on the street,etc. and had problems finding anything that wasn't flagged "no parking". If there are 10,000 people there and they come 2 people to a car, there's nowhere near 5,000 spots in the lots adjacent to Kinnick. Unless the weather sucks, there will probably be more than 20,000. Plus, I plan on going to the baseball game after, so the Dental lot would be a great option.

There won't be near 10,000 there with the current forecast for Saturday.

how many does people think there will be at the spring game.

Was going to attend with my family and make the drive from Omaha, but the forecast is terrible. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel and move the practice inside. Just can't drag the two little ones across the state with the weather looming.

So Herky's Locker Room is not doing their clearance sale... What about the equipment sales they have done in the past? The Surplus store is open that morning. Are they going to have a bigger stock than usual? This weekend has usually been the best time to stock up on gear.

I would have guessed 10k to 15k on attendance. But then I saw the forecast of 50 degrees and an 80% chance of rain at kickoff.

I'll put the over/under at 5k.

U of I hospital staff use the lots next to Kinnick during the week. Don't know how many on a weekend though.

ADVERTISEMENT