Same HS that produced Desmond KIng.

East English Village HS

Lattimore, 6ft4 251
Golston, 6ft5, 235

Last edited:
East English Village HS

Lattimore, 6ft4 251
Golston, 6ft5, 235

These guys are big. These guys want to be Hawks. Are these guys good enough to go head-to-head against the recruits our opponents are going after? That is what counts. Throw out all the feel goody crap you want, but it boils down to what will we be able to put on the field. Iowa cannot exist as a developmental program and compete for championships at the B1G level. Iowa, and every school for that matter, has to secure high quality talent each and every year to compete.

Let's hope these guys are for real. We can't afford any misses.

You are a funny guy. Totally negative and silly and uninformed, but funny. Typical of your ilk.

OK genius, how do these guys differ in any way from any of the other un-ranked, non-descript, 2 or 3*, diamond-in-the-rough, project players that KF has brought in over the last 5 years?

If they turn out to be half as good of football players as Desmond King, then they will be pretty damn good. I am happy to see the Hawks get some guys that look to be long and athletic out of a large out of state metro area.

Clayborn and Ballard were both 4 star recruits with a ton of offers. Stars do mean something in recruiting and we aren't getting those types of players anymore. You must be pretty thick if you don't think our recruiting has been bad over the last 5-6 years. Look at the results on the field. I think Ferentz has locked us into a 6-6 type of program and I don't see anything changing in the near future.

Last edited:
If they turn out to be half as good of football players as Desmond King, then they will be pretty damn good. I am happy to see the Hawks get some guys that look to be long and athletic out of a large out of state metro area.

Hell, let's just offer the entire varsity team from that school. You know, cause we got that one guy from there who was pretty good.

Reactions: iowalaw
Clayborn and Ballard were both 4 star recruits with a ton of offers. Stars do mean something in recruiting and we aren't getting those types of players anymore. You must be pretty thick if you don't think our recruiting has been pretty bad over the last 5-6 years. Look at the results on the field. I think Ferentz has locked us into a 6-6 type of program and I don't see anything changing in the near future.

Yep. Iowa getting players with an offer list like those 2 had is a pipe dream now. You could recruit MAC level kids when you were mixing in big prospects, now it's all MAC level talent.

Welcome C&C, glad you're Hawks despite what some of the Boneheads on this thread have posted. Why tear down these kids? In your effort to tear down Ferentz you also tear down a kid's dreams.

Agreed...wouldn't mind if message boards just went away for that reason...

Welcome C&C, glad you're Hawks despite what some of the Boneheads on this thread have posted. Why tear down these kids? In your effort to tear down Ferentz you also tear down a kid's dreams.

tumblr_lry2ymLdj01r1m5qho1_500.gif

Reactions: mcljd and Big D 23
These kids are big and good athletes as well. Lattimore is a high 3 star on 247 and Golston is currently a 3 star on 247. Just because Rivals hasn't gotten around to rating them yet does not mean they aren't any good. their coach says Lattimore is about 6'6 270 and also plays TE. Scout has him rated as a 3 star TE and 34th best TE in the country.
Golston is 6'6 240 and runs in the low 4.7s on his 40. This is good news! Good start to the defensive recruits. I imagine they will sign a few more DL recruits as well. They just offered Romeo McKnight from Illinois and there have already been a few predictions for Iowa

Reactions: mcljd and TankHawk
These kids are big and good athletes as well. Lattimore is a high 3 star on 247 and Golston is currently a 3 star on 247. Just because Rivals hasn't gotten around to rating them yet does not mean they aren't any good. their coach says Lattimore is about 6'6 270 and also plays TE. Scout has him rated as a 3 star TE and 34th best TE in the country.
Golston is 6'6 240 and runs in the low 4.7s on his 40. This is good news! Good start to the defensive recruits. I imagine they will sign a few more DL recruits as well. They just offered Romeo McKnight from Illinois and there have already been a few predictions for Iowa

This part kinda makes you wonder, given KF's track record in this area over the years, if maybe they see a future at OT for this kid possibly. Oh sure, we need all the help we can get on the DL....but it's been commonplace for them to take a big body with uncommon athleticism, and make the body even BIGGER while retaining the athleticism and turning them into an NFL draft pick at OT. Just a thought.

Reactions: Cardsnhawks
I don't get it - we don't offer a 4Star that ends at ND and people say "nah we didn't want him, stars are over rated" and now we land 2 no stars and everyone says "nah we shouldn't have"... man.

I don't get it - we don't offer a 4Star that ends at ND and people say "nah we didn't want him, stars are over rated" and now we land 2 no stars and everyone says "nah we shouldn't have"... man.
You're referring to the exact opposite type of people. Those that wanted the legacy don't want these guys, those that want these guys didn't care that we didn't offer the other guy.

Welcome gentlemen! And, for those who are not paying attention, the NFL has many players former MAC schools as well as players from schools smaller than MAC level.

Lots of potential,but I have to wonder if KF has just quit recruiting top talent?! How about an early 4star for a change, I kinda get the impression that it's easier to recruit MAC level talent. Not a fan of KF and everybody knows he'd be long gone if he didn't have that contract. Just tough to get excited about 3star and under committing.

OK genius, how do these guys differ in any way from any of the other un-ranked, non-descript, 2 or 3*, diamond-in-the-rough, project players that KF has brought in over the last 5 years?
i can tell you how its different. they arent even 2 or 3 stars they are zero stars
Welcome gentlemen! And, for those who are not paying attention, the NFL has many players former MAC schools as well as players from schools smaller than MAC level.
well thats all well and good but
they have been paying attention. the nfl has guys from those schools but the majority of kids from those schools do not make it. keep getting kids like this you wind up with a good mac team

Gunner, it's too early to comment on these players since they haven't been rated by Rivals, which is the reliable site for most of us. The other 2 sites have given their 2 cents worth, and it's likely Rivals will assess some value. Maybe for both, maybe for one, maybe for neither. But it is not unreasonable to comment on recruiting players that are questionable talent. The issue in many cases is why is Iowa recruiting marginal athletes. Iowa is doing it and as fans we have the right to express our opinion as such.

Great news. They both have tall frames to add plenty of size. Getting a pipeline to a big Detroit school is a good thing.

Maybe it inspires them? The old chip-on-the-shoulder thing.

Nvm, found it.​

The ranking system ranks prospects on a numerical scale from 6.1-4.9.
  • 6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect
  • 6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player
  • 4.9 Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about

Gunner, it's too early to comment on these players since they haven't been rated by Rivals, which is the reliable site for most of us. The other 2 sites have given their 2 cents worth, and it's likely Rivals will assess some value. Maybe for both, maybe for one, maybe for neither. But it is not unreasonable to comment on recruiting players that are questionable talent. The issue in many cases is why is Iowa recruiting marginal athletes. Iowa is doing it and as fans we have the right to express our opinion as such.

Interesting that you would say its too early to comment.....and then proceed to comment by calling them "questionable talent" and "marginal athletes". As we see, Gholston has since been rated as a 5.6 3 star, which as we also see is someone considered to have pro potential. What an interesting board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT