ADVERTISEMENT

Did Bo Ryan Blow his chance at a National Title?

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
Something I've been thinking about. And I figure I might as well get into trouble. Bo likes to redshirt players. We've been reading on here from informed Badger fans that Ethan Happ is a fairly talented freshman.

Think about this. Duke had eight scholarship players, four were freshmen. Duke played all eight guys! Their bench played 51 minutes.

Now, we saw how gassed Wisconsin was. Bo played seven guys. His two off the bench played just 23 minutes! Dukan played just ten minutes and picked up four fouls.

Did Bo's system of redshirting guys and running a thin bench come back to bite him on the rear?

Fire away.

Originally posted by DanL53:
Something I've been thinking about. And I figure I might as well get into trouble. Bo likes to redshirt players. We've been reading on here from informed Badger fans that Ethan Happ is a fairly talented freshman.

Think about this. Duke had eight scholarship players, four were freshmen. Duke played all eight guys! Their bench played 51 minutes.

Now, we saw how gassed Wisconsin was. Bo played seven guys. His two off the bench played just 23 minutes! Dukan played just ten minutes and picked up four fouls.

Did Bo's system of redshirting guys and running a thin bench come back to bite him on the rear?

Fire away.
I don't think Bo blew anything, except maybe his chance to be gracious in defeat. I do think this Wisconsin team is probably as good as Bo is going to ever have. They had a very good shot at winning it all. Wisconsin drew a tough route to the championship. Arizona, UK and Duke were also great teams, and I think they were basically even with all three.

I don't think I would say that Bo blew his chance by not playing freshman that were redshirting. The type of freshman that were on Duke's team are not the same freshman sitting the bench at Wisconsin.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I think Bo Ryan showed the world that he's a great coach with a great system. I think that this was the best team that Wisconsin will ever have. Bo will have a tough, competitive team every year but this was his shot. I think Bo could play his gray team and the water boys and he would still finish in the Top 4 of the B1G.

Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
Yes. This was his shot
Posted from Rivals Mobile
To have a shot and lose doesn't mean he blew it. Dekker blew it more than Bo (and I don't think he "blew it")...but they wouldn't have been there without him.

Originally posted by Suterman:
I think Bo Ryan showed the world that he's a great coach with a great system. I think that this was the best team that Wisconsin will ever have. Bo will have a tough, competitive team every year but this was his shot. I think Bo could play his gray team and the water boys and he would still finish in the Top 4 of the B1G.
Great post. You possibly argue that Bo may have blew it by his team not handling the second half against Duke very well. The officiating very much went against them IMO but the Badgers didn't exactly help their cause playing more one on one than usual and not taking great shots.

I don't think he blew it. Wisky ran into a tough draw. Beating Kentucky took a lot out of them.
Duke had a easier game against a over achieving MSU team.
That was Bo's best team and best shot.
5 of the 7 are gone . Next year will be a hell of a accomplishment if he can get them to finish in top 4.

Fire away.
That is an interesting thought. I remember thinking Bo should have taken a time out earlier in the 2nd half to rest his team. Frank was completely gassed at one point and Dekker seemed to lack energy. Had they had another sub available it could have made a difference.

Originally posted by hooper56:

Fire away.
That is an interesting thought. I remember thinking Bo should have taken a time out earlier in the 2nd half to rest his team. Frank was completely gassed at one point and Dekker seemed to lack energy. Had they had another sub available it could have made a difference.
Bo IMO didn't have one of his better halves of coaching in likely the best shot he will ever have at a national championship. Maybe the officials wouldn't have let the Badgers win anyway who knows? In his defense Bo had to deal with his team getting in a position they never find themselves in- losing a lead with everything including the officiating going against them. I don't know how much depth played a factor but I agree that Wisconsin looked tired in that second half- possibly from having the tougher semi-final game as pointed out earlier.

Fire away.
Thanks Hooper. LOL, I knew I wasn't going to be presenting a popular opinion. But Bo played a seven player lineup most of the season.

As I recall, at the start of the year Wisconsin was ranked in the top five. I know that Happ was a top 150 6'7" wing. Just supposing someone decides not to redshirt him.

What happens when Wisconsin plays Rutgers without Kaminsky? I know Jackson got hurt. But as one poster commented Bo can win with a gray team and water boys. (I loved that line Suterman). So where was the gray team and water boys?

Now, according to Wisconsin insiders Happ was playing great in practice last season.

If that's the case. Again, Bo! You are likely going to, and indeed found yourself, playing for a national championship. You don't think you throw everything you've got at it?

All I know is I saw a team running on fumes late in the game against Duke. And Bo was voluntarily withholding a talented player, and who knows maybe BETTER than Dukan, out of the lineup all year.

Actually, he probably blew his shot 3? years ago when Utoff transferred. I have to think with Utoff they would have had a much better chance of beating Duke.

Still, it all pretty much came together for Bo this year, I don't see him ever having that kind of talent again. As long as a few select teams like KY and Duke and KS and NC are sucking up all the top recruits, it is going to be damn near impossible for anyone else to win a NT.

Bo's a great coach but the whole "never finished below top 4" in the conference stat is overblown. He's always had pretty good talent and he had the luxury of coaching in many years where the mid level teams in the conference weren't that good and the coaching was sometimes terrible. With the addition of Maryland and better overall coaching in the Big, I think his streak is going to end pretty soon.

Originally posted by Mohawkeye:

Bo's a great coach but the whole "never finished below top 4" in the conference stat is overblown.
I wish Iowa had such an overblown stat.

The guy has done nothing but win for pretty much his entire career, including 25-14 in NCAA Tournament play.

I think his career is underrated.

Fire away.
Thanks Hooper. LOL, I knew I wasn't going to be presenting a popular opinion. But Bo played a seven player lineup most of the season.

As I recall, at the start of the year Wisconsin was ranked in the top five. I know that Happ was a top 150 6'7" wing. Just supposing someone decides not to redshirt him.

What happens when Wisconsin plays Rutgers without Kaminsky? I know Jackson got hurt. But as one poster commented Bo can win with a gray team and water boys. (I loved that line Suterman). So where was the gray team and water boys?

Now, according to Wisconsin insiders Happ was playing great in practice last season.

If that's the case. Again, Bo! You are likely going to, and indeed found yourself, playing for a national championship. You don't think you throw everything you've got at it?

All I know is I saw a team running on fumes late in the game against Duke. And Bo was voluntarily withholding a talented player, and who knows maybe BETTER than Dukan, out of the lineup all year.
The odd thing was, wisconsin got in deep foul trouble in the 2nd half. Some of their guys had to go to the bench. he really should have rested Frank. just given him a minute hear and there....I think it could have made the difference as Frank had nothing left the last two minutes of that game.

I would say Bo blew it, to the effect that he blew it a lot less than the other 66 coaches in the NCAA tournament. Now, if you mean the window has closed, then yes, absolutely. I can't see any way this could possibly be a Final four team next year. Whether this has made an impact down the road and leads to Wisky getting more 4 and 5 star type guys, we will see.

Originally posted by ichawk24:

Bo's a great coach but the whole "never finished below top 4" in the conference stat is overblown.
I wish Iowa had such an overblown stat.

The guy has done nothing but win for pretty much his entire career, including 25-14 in NCAA Tournament play.

I think his career is underrated.
Agree. To never finish lower than fourth in the B1G, with all the other great players and coaches in the league, is a pretty remarkable accomplishment.

Fire away.
You should be smart enough to figure out that it didn't matter how many players Bo put in the game. Duke was the chosen team.

Actually, he probably blew his shot 3? years ago when Utoff transferred. I have to think with Utoff they would have had a much better chance of beating Duke.
I agree with this. Uthoff probably would have started somewhere or been the best player off the bench this year for Wiscy. Might have been the one extra player they needed.

it will be hard to reload when having to replace

Frank the Tank, consensus national player of the year
Dekker, 1st round NBA pick
Gasser, the senior glue guy
Dukan, the senior big who produced off the bench
Jackson, the senior starting pg for the last 2 years (until he got injured vs Rutgers)

How good can you expect them to be next season when they have just Hayes, Koenig, and hope (Ethan Happ and??)??

Originally posted by HoustonREDHawk:

Fire away.
I don't think Bo blew anything, except maybe his chance to be gracious in defeat. I do think this Wisconsin team is probably as good as Bo is going to ever have. They had a very good shot at winning it all. Wisconsin drew a tough route to the championship. Arizona, UK and Duke were also great teams, and I think they were basically even with all three.

Originally posted by mtvernonhawk:

Fire away.
You should be smart enough to figure out that it didn't matter how many players Bo put in the game. Duke was the chosen team.
Yep Bo's glaring mistake was not having the trainer put Duke across his teams jerseys. Bo is the better coach and had the better team but 5 on 8 makes you have to play perfect and it still may not be enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT