ADVERTISEMENT

Did Cordell Pemsl recently have surgery?

Jun 7, 2009
Iowa
Just looked at Cordell's twitter account and saw his picture in a hospital bed like he was prepped for surgery.
Hope the surgery goes well. I have been read Future150 for Iowa basketball recruiting news outside this site. Iowa has been make some progress on 2016 Seth Towns and Matt Moyer. Tyler Cook (friend and Twitter follower of Cordell's) has been keeping an eye on Iowa and Tyler's mother came with Tyler to Iowa Twice. Sounds like Iowa and Mizzou are favorites with Arkansas. Iowa is making some headway with the AAU St. Louis Eagles Club. I will link Tyler Cook news later.

Peace and God's Love, Cordell. Hope you get better.
Pic:
CFATAMJW0AA-FVX.jpg

I have heard rumors he was having surgery on the knee again. Just rumors.

Don't think that Cordell's knee surgery early last December in Dubuque ever really worked out, even though it was apparently pretty straight-forward meniscus scope surgery, I think. He was hobbled his entire junior season and never really looked like he did as a soph, even though he rested it mid-season for a month and again all spring so far. I, too, am relying on rumors/third-hand stuff. Heard he's been in University Hospitals in Iowa City a couple of days. Anybody know what's going on? Maybe it is good news for him if he gets it fixed and then rests/rehabs during this summer. I'm sure that Fran is on top of this, since Cordell and Connor McCaffrey seem to be buddies. .

This may seem like a crude joke. But I'm serious. We are talking about the UIHC. I'm confident they can rebuild him. Faster, stronger, better. That place is fantastic, Cordell will be fine.

I know kids don't expect to get injured, but I've always thought the UIHC is one of the best assets that Iowa sports enjoys and it should be a plus in recruiting.

Reactions: nu2u
This may seem like a crude joke. But I'm serious. We are talking about the UIHC. I'm confident they can rebuild him. Faster, stronger, better. That place is fantastic, Cordell will be fine.

I know kids don't expect to get injured, but I've always thought the UIHC is one of the best assets that Iowa sports enjoys and it should be a plus in recruiting.

Especially if your doctor comes the Steindler Orthopedic Clinic. Those guy are very good, IMO. My father had his ankle worked on and it healed well for a 75 years old man who still actively farms.

Reactions: easy2
Surgeons at U of I are great! The nurses on the other hand, not so much. Multiple 1st & 2nd hand experiences.

Just looked at Cordell's twitter account and saw his picture in a hospital bed like he was prepped for surgery.
Hope the surgery goes well. I have been read Future150 for Iowa basketball recruiting news outside this site. Iowa has been make some progress on 2016 Seth Towns and Matt Moyer. Tyler Cook (friend and Twitter follower of Cordell's) has been keeping an eye on Iowa and Tyler's mother came with Tyler to Iowa Twice. Sounds like Iowa and Mizzou are favorites with Arkansas. Iowa is making some headway with the AAU St. Louis Eagles Club. I will link Tyler Cook news later.

Peace and God's Love, Cordell. Hope you get better.
Pic:
CFATAMJW0AA-FVX.jpg

Has to be an after picture. No pizza before surgery.

Surgeons at U of I are great! The nurses on the other hand, not so much. Multiple 1st & 2nd hand experiences.
I couldn't disagree with you more about your comment regarding the nurses at the UIHC. I spent from September 15th, 2013 until the second week of April 2014 as a patient at the UIHC. I just got released on May 9th after another week there. I have unfortunately spent too much time in hospitals and I have never received better care from nurses anywhere. The nurses, nurses aides, and even the folks doing the janitorial work were always pleasant, professional, caring, compassionate, kind, and understanding. I can't think of any hospital I would recommend over the UIHC....

mayo clinic if you live within a 4-5 hr place is hands down where you go for anything. With that being said IC Hospital is great but when the King of Jordan comes half way across the world to get treatment it is a testament how well Mayo is seen.

The mayo clinic almost killed my mom by doing a unnecessary surgery when they knew her blood was to thin to do it at the time, that's my experience with mayo

Heard last night 4-6 months on the shelf. Tough on a young man...don't wish that on anyone. Rehab on knees has come so far even in the last year.

Confirmed by Cordell on Twitter that he's in for 6-7 months of healing and rehab (to Nov., 2015). Still don't know exactly what surgery he had. As for the comments on hospitals: UIHC in Iowa City is super in Orthopedics, with U. of Minnesota possibly first- second in Midwest, with maybe Mayo third (in Ortho). Opinion only. All are top-notch.

mayo clinic if you live within a 4-5 hr place is hands down where you go for anything. With that being said IC Hospital is great but when the King of Jordan comes half way across the world to get treatment it is a testament how well Mayo is seen.
If I had gone to Mayo I would not be here today. My Oncologist at UIHC is considered one of the top Multple Myeloma Drs in the world. At Mayo they would only do one stem cell transplant and at UIHC they do two to get you in full remission. There are 5 stages of M.M. and I was in 5. Mayo wasn't sure they would even consider me a good candidate for one transplant. Mayo has a great reputation but The UIHC saved my life and a daughter in 1992 after a traffic accident......We are very fortunate to have The UIHC right here in Iowa. The new children's hospital is going to be something special.....

This surgery was to align his knee better. The previous surgery didn't correct it.

http://www.beckershospitalreview.co.../70-of-the-best-knee-surgeons-in-america.html

Hopefully he had one of these two guys - two of the Top 70 in the country :)

Ned Amendola, MD (University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa). Dr. Amendola is the director of the University of Iowa Sports Medicine Center in Iowa City. His current research projects include a randomized trial of bioabsorbable arrows versus sutures for meniscal suturing and limb alignment following high tibial osteotomy. He has published several articles in professional journals, including the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. In addition to his practice work, Dr. Amendola is a professor at the University of Iowa and has served as the chief of orthopedics at London Health Sciences Centre at University Campus in Ontario. He is the head team physician for the University of Iowa Hawkeye teams and provides orthopedic consultation for the Toronto Raptors and the NHL Players Association. Dr. Amendola has been elected to the board of the American Orthopaedic Society for sports medicine and serves on the executive board of the International Society of Knee Arthroscopy. He has served as an assistant editor for several magazines, including the Journal of Knee Surgery. Dr. Amendola earned his medical degree at the University of Western Ontario in London, where he also completed his residency in orthopedic surgery. His additional training includes fellowships at the University Hospital in London in Ontario, Canada; Verona, Italy; and Akron, Ohio

John J. Callaghan, MD (University of Iowa, Iowa City). Dr. Callaghan currently serves as the president of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Callaghan has a professional interest in total knee and hip replacements. He is affiliated with The Knee Society, the International Hip Society, Society of Arthritis Joint Surgery and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. He published several articles in professional journals, with recent work focused on mobile bearing knee replacements and hip replacement implants. In addition to his practice, he has served as an assistant editor for the Journal of Arthroplasty and the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. He has also served with the Orthopaedic Society in Washington, D.C. Dr. Callaghan holds a professional appointment with The University of Iowa College of Medicine. He earned his medical degree from Loyola Medical School in Chicago and completed his residency at the University of Iowa. He also completed a hip fellowship at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.

I couldn't disagree with you more about your comment regarding the nurses at the UIHC. I spent from September 15th, 2013 until the second week of April 2014 as a patient at the UIHC. I just got released on May 9th after another week there. I have unfortunately spent too much time in hospitals and I have never received better care from nurses anywhere. The nurses, nurses aides, and even the folks doing the janitorial work were always pleasant, professional, caring, compassionate, kind, and understanding. I can't think of any hospital I would recommend over the UIHC....
That's like your opinion, man. Seriously been there a few times as a patient and a couple times visiting relatives. The whole cadre there has some serious communication problems. Sure, there are some excellent nurses & doctors, but a large majority of them are just there for a paycheck And it shows. I do understand it can be a very stressful job, but I'm not going to blow smoke up people's butts because of that Fact.

I had ACL surgery at UIHC in 1995. I am 57 and just got back from a basketball game in a competitive adult league where I am by far oldest player. We won. I played most of the game. Love that place - they did great job - my repaired knee is stronger (and feels better) than the other one.

That's like your opinion, man. Seriously been there a few times as a patient and a couple times visiting relatives. The whole cadre there has some serious communication problems. Sure, there are some excellent nurses & doctors, but a large majority of them are just there for a paycheck And it shows. I do understand it can be a very stressful job, but I'm not going to blow smoke up people's butts because of that Fact.
You're a genius , of course it's my opinion moron. I was the patient and so was my daughter. You sound like a lot of other people on this board that , as you say like to blow smoke and listen to their own BS. By all means go to Mayo when you need health care i'm sure their Nurses are far better than anything thr UIHC have to offer. Oh , is what you are saying a fact or just your opinion ? Smell that smoke ? I've been gagging on it since I read your original BS. You have a good night ya phony.

You're a genius , of course it's my opinion moron. I was the patient and so was my daughter. You sound like a lot of other people on this board that , as you say like to blow smoke and listen to their own BS. By all means go to Mayo when you need health care i'm sure their Nurses are far better than anything thr UIHC have to offer. Oh , is what you are saying a fact or just your opinion ? Smell that smoke ? I've been gagging on it since I read your original BS. You have a good night ya phony.
wow lmao.
Sounds like your next visit will be there as mental breakdown. Relax.
Seriously, I'm going to guess that you are employed at the U as a nurse.

This surgery was to align his knee better. The previous surgery didn't correct it.

Ummm, yikes...that does not sound good for anyone that young, let alone a D1 basketball player. Would that be patellar realignment or the tibia/femur? Either way, I hope the kid has a pain-free life

@normgranger. Thanks for sharing your experience. Always glad to hear that someone facing a critical illness has achieved a positive outcome.

@normgranger. Thanks for sharing your experience. Always glad to hear that someone facing a critical illness has achieved a positive outcome.
Thanks for your thoughtfulness . I shouldn't have gotten so cranky but I have nothing but respect for the Drs and staff at the UIHC.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT