ADVERTISEMENT

Director's Cup Standings through April 9th

Myvue

HR All-State
Jan 12, 2015
I was never aware of this until reading about it in a thread here a few weeks ago. How often are the results updated and when is it considered the final ranking of the year?

Iowa is in 43rd place. Not being aware of this before I didn't know if that is about the same as where Iowa has been ranked in other years or not.

Originally posted by Myvue:
I was never aware of this until reading about it in a thread here a few weeks ago. How often are the results updated and when is it considered the final ranking of the year?

Iowa is in 43rd place. Not being aware of this before I didn't know if that is about the same as where Iowa has been ranked in other years or not.
Like just about every other ranking of that type, it's seriously flawed but the best thing available, so it's generally accepted for comparison purposes.

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:
what is the directors cup?

Is it a golf thing, between the schools?
Overall ranking of Big Ten athletics based on how the teams perform

Originally posted by Titanhawk2:

Barta's protective under-garment insert.

Originally posted by Myvue:
How often are the results updated and when is it considered the final ranking of the year?
You can look it up simply by googling Director's Cup, but I believe they put out end of season rankings, therefore a fall one, a winter one, a summer one, then a final-final one.

Edit: Looks like Winter #3 just came out. Iowa appears to be in 34th in the Winter rankings.
9th place in Women's bball: 64 points
17th place in Men's bball: 50 points
6th place in Gymnastics: 64 points
Points in swimming and Track/Field
2nd Place in Wrestling: 90

Iowa's fall total was only 25 total points.

By comparison, ISU got 179 points in winter (Iowa 355), but 167 points in fall.

Another edit: Some people think inclusion of some sports is ridiculous, for example, Nebraska got 1st place points for Women's bowling. West Virginia got first place in Rifle.

This post was edited on 4/17 9:44 AM by theIowaHawk

the director's cup should reward schools for offering more sports but that's also why the standings don't mean a whole lot.

I care a lot more about iowa offering 24 sports than I do about iowa state being marginally better while only offering 16 sports.

Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:
the director's cup should reward schools for offering more sports but that's also why the standings don't mean a whole lot.

I care a lot more about iowa offering 24 sports than I do about iowa state being marginally better while only offering 16 sports.
You are getting two things confused.

The Director's Cup rewards schools for having more sports. In the most recent standings, for example, Iowa is leading ISU because it got points in sports that ISU doesn't offer.

The Cy-Hawk thingie is different. It only counts sports in which the universities compete with one another.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Originally posted by Titanhawk2:

It's not Big Ten. It's national. See link.
The Director's Cup is a joke. Nobody cares that certain schools who can offer a multitude of sports programs with the potential of scoring Director's Cup points ends up with the highest point totals. It's an unreliable measure of the health of the school's overall athletics program IMO. Stanford routinely wins or scores high year after year because they offer so many sports programs for their men and women compared to the majority of the other school evaluated.

Apples to oranges comparison for certain.

Originally posted by Obviously Oblivious:

The Director's Cup is a joke. Nobody cares that certain schools who can offer a multitude of sports programs with the potential of scoring Director's Cup points ends up with the highest point totals. It's an unreliable measure of the health of the school's overall athletics program IMO. Stanford routinely wins or scores high year after year because they offer so many sports programs for their men and women compared to the majority of the other school evaluated.

I never understand the logic that people must employ to come up with things like the above post.

The Director's Cup is exactly what the Director's Cup is, it is, "A program that honors institutions maintaining a broad-based program,
achieving success in many sports, both men's and women's.
Began in
1993-94 for Division I by NACDA and USA Today, it was expanded in
1995-96 to include Division II, III and the NAIA."

It doesn't claim to be anything else. Sure, some idiots, like you, Obviously Oblivious need everything to mean something important, therefore you think "Well, the Director's Cup means the bestest best school in the land!" And then you get angry when it doesn't distribute points in a way you want it to.

That is extremely poor logic. Sure, the Director's Cup is skewed towards ADs that have many olympic-type programs that do well (Stanford), but that doesn't mean that it is a "joke."

It is only a "joke" if you are too dumb to understand what it is.

You are getting two things confused.

The Director's Cup rewards schools for having more sports. In the most recent standings, for example, Iowa is leading ISU because it got points in sports that ISU doesn't offer.

The Cy-Hawk thingie is different. It only counts sports in which the universities compete with one another.

Actually Iowa is leading because they have more points. Iowa scored more points in Football, MBB, WBB and Wrestling. All sports isu also offers.

It appears though that isu is a Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross Country School as that is where they scored the most points.

Reactions: ichawk24
Actually Iowa is leading because they have more points. Iowa scored more points in Football, MBB, WBB and Wrestling. All sports isu also offers.

It appears though that isu is a Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross Country School as that is where they scored the most points.
Not sure how you figure that. I had assumed Iowa got points for field hockey, but apparently this wasn't a very good season for Iowa in that sport. But the numbers I'm seeing show Iowa with 380 points and ISU with 346. One hundred of Iowa's points come from sports not offered by ISU -- 64 in men's gymnastics and 36 in men's swimming. Since the margin is 34 points, and Iowa scored 100 points in sports not offered by ISU, I think it's fair to say that Iowa is leading because it got points in sports ISU does not offer.

Not sure how you figure that. I had assumed Iowa got points for field hockey, but apparently this wasn't a very good season for Iowa in that sport. But the numbers I'm seeing show Iowa with 380 points and ISU with 346. One hundred of Iowa's points come from sports not offered by ISU -- 64 in men's gymnastics and 36 in men's swimming. Since the margin is 34 points, and Iowa scored 100 points in sports not offered by ISU, I think it's fair to say that Iowa is leading because it got points in sports ISU does not offer.

It is also fair to say a big chunk of isu's points come from Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross Country. I didn't realize that isu really is a Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross Country school but that is exactly what the Directors Cup says.

Reactions: ichawk24
It is also fair to say a big chunk of isu's points come from Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross Country. I didn't realize that isu really is a Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross Country school but that is exactly what the Directors Cup says.
Back to your old moniker? But haven't changed your ways. Your point, of course, has nothing to do with my post.

I'm not confused. Iowa State fans just love to reference the director's cup standings despite the fact that Pollard hates women's sports and offers near the ncaa minimum for D1.

Back to your old moniker? But haven't changed your ways. Your point, of course, has nothing to do with my post.

Yet it was exactly as I posted initially. Funny how the Directors Cup only matters when isu fans and the isu AD say so. Oh and if isu wasn't so poor they would still have Men's gymnastics and Men's swimming.

Yet it was exactly as I posted initially. Funny how the Directors Cup only matters when isu fans and the isu AD say so. Oh and if isu wasn't so poor they would still have Men's gymnastics and Men's swimming.
JustWRong, how have you been?

It has nothing to do with how many sports schools have. Schools are only awarded points for their top 10 sports in each gender.

"in Division I, points will automatically be awarded to an institution in the first 10 sports per gender in which it scores. If an institution scores in more than 10 sports per gender, points will be awarded for the 10 sports which received the highest point total."

Reactions: Myvue
It has nothing to do with how many sports schools have. Schools are only awarded points for their top 10 sports in each gender.

"in Division I, points will automatically be awarded to an institution in the first 10 sports per gender in which it scores. If an institution scores in more than 10 sports per gender, points will be awarded for the 10 sports which received the highest point total."
* JWrong has been posting as 100something. I thought he'd gotten the banhammer again.

* Of course it matters how many sports a school supports. If School A has 10 women's sports and School B has 6, obviously School A has the opportunity to score more points in the standings. This isn't the case with the Cy-Hawk trophy, because it only counts points in sports where Iowa and ISU compete with each other. It can be argued persuasively -- and is -- that this is unfair to Iowa because it doesn't give the Hawks credit for offering more sports.

* You guys need to get together and settle on a talking point. One of you is saying ISU only scores points because it has a number of strong women's sports, and another is saying ISU doesn't support women's sports.

* I haven't seen any Cyclone fan changing his/her position on the Director's Cup based on what the current standings happen to be. It is what it is. As I said early in thread, it's seriously flawed but it's the closest thing there is to an objective measuring tool, so it's pretty widely accepted as such. One of the obvious flaws was exposed this year; anybody with a brain knows ISU had a better MBB season than Iowa, but the Hawks won a game in the NCAA tournament and the Cyclones didn't, so the former got points and the latter didn't.

* JWrong has been posting as 100something. I thought he'd gotten the banhammer again. * Of course it matters how many sports a school supports. If School A has 10 women's sports and School B has 6, obviously School A has the opportunity to score more points in the standings. This isn't the case with the Cy-Hawk trophy, because it only counts points in sports where Iowa and ISU compete with each other. It can be argued persuasively -- and is -- that this is unfair to Iowa because it doesn't give the Hawks credit for offering more sports. * You guys need to get together and settle on a talking point. One of you is saying ISU only scores points because it has a number of strong women's sports, and another is saying ISU doesn't support women's sports. * I haven't seen any Cyclone fan changing his/her position on the Director's Cup based on what the current standings happen to be. It is what it is. As I said early in thread, it's seriously flawed but it's the closest thing there is to an objective measuring tool, so it's pretty widely accepted as such. One of the obvious flaws was exposed this year; anybody with a brain knows ISU had a better MBB season than Iowa, but the Hawks won a game in the NCAA tournament and the Cyclones didn't, so the former got points and the latter didn't.

isu fans and AD tout the Directors Cup until it shows Iowa as big brother yet again. LC is hilarious he complains that the only reason Iowa leads is because isu doesn't offer Men's Swimming and Men's Gymnastics. Yet it is isu that had those sports until they were to poor to afford them. Hey ignore that a huge chunk of isu's points come from Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross-Country LC does.

Last edited:
isu fans and AD tout the Directors Cup until it shows Iowa as big brother yet again. LC is hilarious he complains that the only reason Iowa leads is because isu doesn't offer Men's Swimming and Men's Gymnastics. Yet it is isu that had those sports until they were to poor to afford them. Hey ignore that a huge chunk of isu's points come from Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross-Country LC does.[/QUOTE
* JWrong has been posting as 100something. I thought he'd gotten the banhammer again.

* Of course it matters how many sports a school supports. If School A has 10 women's sports and School B has 6, obviously School A has the opportunity to score more points in the standings. This isn't the case with the Cy-Hawk trophy, because it only counts points in sports where Iowa and ISU compete with each other. It can be argued persuasively -- and is -- that this is unfair to Iowa because it doesn't give the Hawks credit for offering more sports.

* You guys need to get together and settle on a talking point. One of you is saying ISU only scores points because it has a number of strong women's sports, and another is saying ISU doesn't support women's sports.

* I haven't seen any Cyclone fan changing his/her position on the Director's Cup based on what the current standings happen to be. It is what it is. As I said early in thread, it's seriously flawed but it's the closest thing there is to an objective measuring tool, so it's pretty widely accepted as such. One of the obvious flaws was exposed this year; anybody with a brain knows ISU had a better MBB season than Iowa, but the Hawks won a game in the NCAA tournament and the Cyclones didn't, so the former got points and the latter didn't.
Lone, this was the quote from the poster I was referring to, "Stanford routinely wins or scores high year after year because they offer so many sports programs for their men and women compared to the majority of the other school evaluated."

Stanford has a ton of sports but they can only count 10 for each gender so they can have 50 sports for each gender and it isn't going to matter.Stanford wins the cup routinely because their teams win.

Lone, this was the quote from the poster I was referring to, "Stanford routinely wins or scores high year after year because they offer so many sports programs for their men and women compared to the majority of the other school evaluated."

Stanford has a ton of sports but they can only count 10 for each gender so they can have 50 sports for each gender and it isn't going to matter.Stanford wins the cup routinely because their teams win.

You certainly missed the mark on that one. Stanford does gain an advantage by hosting so many sports, because it counts the top scorers. A school with a total of ten sports would have to do very well in all sports, as opposed to very well in some. Of course, it is important to note that Stanford does well in those sports. But, yes, it is "going to matter".

I thought you were referring to my post. But even so, you're wrong :). If School A offers 20 sports and School B offers 10, the odds are pretty good that the best 10 performances in a given year at School A will be greater than School B.

And although I know you didn't say this...I wasn't "complaining" about anything. Which is why JWrong isn't worth responding to, under any screen name.

you are not punished for being bad at sports, so when you can pick your best ten finishes I would argue that it matters a hell of a lot if you are picking from 6, 12, or 20 teams.

Reactions: Myvue
Just to put this conversation in perspective, Stanford has won the Director's Cup twenty seasons in a row. Now you've all tried to explain how the points work, and some have done a good job. But to make it clear, ONLY your ten BEST scores in men's and women's sports are counted.

Stanford offers 36 varsity sports. Not only does that give them an edge because only their best sports are counted, but because there are some sports offered at Stanford that are very RARE.

Link One, Stanford sports: http://facts.stanford.edu/campuslife/athletics

Now, how many schools offer along with Stanford:

Fencing Teams? Twenty-Four
Women's Squash? Can't even find how many.
Women's Sand Volleyball? Forty-Five
Men's Rowing? Again, don't even know
Women's Synchronized Swimming? FIVE

Get why offering a lot of weird sports would be good? OK. Done. Or should be.

I thought you were referring to my post. But even so, you're wrong :). If School A offers 20 sports and School B offers 10, the odds are pretty good that the best 10 performances in a given year at School A will be greater than School B.

And although I know you didn't say this...I wasn't "complaining" about anything. Which is why JWrong isn't worth responding to, under any screen name.

isu for at least the second year in a row is a Women's Cross Country School. Puff out your chest clown fans.

You certainly missed the mark on that one. Stanford does gain an advantage by hosting so many sports, because it counts the top scorers. A school with a total of ten sports would have to do very well in all sports, as opposed to very well in some. Of course, it is important to note that Stanford does well in those sports. But, yes, it is "going to matter".
However, the point of the cup is to show the best overall athletic program. Does it really help to have 50 sports if they aren't even on the director's cup list?

Last edited:
Just to put this conversation in perspective, Stanford has won the Director's Cup twenty seasons in a row. Now you've all tried to explain how the points work, and some have done a good job. But to make it clear, ONLY your ten BEST scores in men's and women's sports are counted.

Stanford offers 36 varsity sports. Not only does that give them an edge because only their best sports are counted, but because there are some sports offered at Stanford that are very RARE.

Link One, Stanford sports: http://facts.stanford.edu/campuslife/athletics

Now, how many schools offer along with Stanford:

Fencing Teams? Twenty-Four
Women's Squash? Can't even find how many.
Women's Sand Volleyball? Forty-Five
Men's Rowing? Again, don't even know
Women's Synchronized Swimming? FIVE

Get why offering a lot of weird sports would be good? OK. Done. Or should be.
So where do you see women's squash, women's sand volleyball, synchronized swimming and men's rowing in the director's cup?

Speaking of 'weird' sports. How many schools offer, along with Iowa:
Field hockey - 79
Women's rowing - 86
Wrestling - 79
These 3 sports, BTW, are counted in the director's cup.

So where do you see women's squash, women's sand volleyball, synchronized swimming and men's rowing in the director's cup?

Speaking of 'weird' sports. How many schools offer, along with Iowa:
Field hockey - 79
Women's rowing - 86
Wrestling - 79
These 3 sports, BTW, are counted in the director's cup.

Good question. Providing a link. All sports that offer an NCAA Championship are allowed. Take Synchronized Swimming for example. Including a link to that Championship.

http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-directorscup-scoring.html

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/w-syncs/osu-w-syncs-body.html

You may, and this is just an assumption, be looking at the list of ten men's and women's sports? But if you read the first link you'll see that much like some Chinese menus...substitutions are allowed. Even some women's sports for men's.

I never understand the logic that people must employ to come up with things like the above post.

The Director's Cup is exactly what the Director's Cup is, it is, "A program that honors institutions maintaining a broad-based program,
achieving success in many sports, both men's and women's.
Began in
1993-94 for Division I by NACDA and USA Today, it was expanded in
1995-96 to include Division II, III and the NAIA."

It doesn't claim to be anything else. Sure, some idiots, like you, Obviously Oblivious need everything to mean something important, therefore you think "Well, the Director's Cup means the bestest best school in the land!" And then you get angry when it doesn't distribute points in a way you want it to.

That is extremely poor logic. Sure, the Director's Cup is skewed towards ADs that have many olympic-type programs that do well (Stanford), but that doesn't mean that it is a "joke."

It is only a "joke" if you are too dumb to understand what it is.

I'm certain there's many things you'll never understand despite your best efforts IowaHawk. No one cares that you hold the Director's Cup standings closely to your swollen heart, a "competition" that rewards the institutions who can provide innumerable sports programs, no matter how arcane and obscure. I won't even get into the Cup's arbitrary scoring methodologies. I don't need the DC to be anything, I just choose to ignore it and point out its irrelevance. Sorry if that worries you and your sensibilities to the point that you have to call me and other posters here juvenile names, but I realize that your intellect severely limits your ability to respond to others in an appropriate manner. Get over yourself and quit being such a homer for Learfield and their honored Director's Cup standings.

Fart noises to you.

you are not punished for being bad at sports, so when you can pick your best ten finishes I would argue that it matters a hell of a lot if you are picking from 6, 12, or 20 teams.
Well there are only 16 men's sports on the list so
Good question. Providing a link. All sports that offer an NCAA Championship are allowed. Take Synchronized Swimming for example. Including a link to that Championship.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/w-syncs/osu-w-syncs-body.html

You may, and this is just an assumption, be looking at the list of ten men's and women's sports? But if you read the first link you'll see that much like some Chinese menus...substitutions are allowed. Even some women's sports for men's.
Here is what is included on the page of your first link:
Sports IncludedIn Division I, there will be 20 sports counted in the standings - the top 10 men's and the top 10 women's; in Division II, there will be 14 sports included - the top seven (7) men's and top seven (7) women's; Division III will count 18 sports - the top nine (9) men's and the top nine (9) women's; while in the NAIA, there will be 12 sports included - the top six (6) men's and the top six (6) women's. See the Bracket Determination chart to identify by division the sports that may count in the standings.

Sports Not IncludedSports that will not be included in the Directors' Cup standings are any sports not included in the divisional lists. This includes sports in which the NCAA or NAIA does not sponsor a championship.

Well there are only 16 men's sports on the list so

Here is what is included on the page of your first link:
Sports IncludedIn Division I, there will be 20 sports counted in the standings - the top 10 men's and the top 10 women's; in Division II, there will be 14 sports included - the top seven (7) men's and top seven (7) women's; Division III will count 18 sports - the top nine (9) men's and the top nine (9) women's; while in the NAIA, there will be 12 sports included - the top six (6) men's and the top six (6) women's. See the Bracket Determination chart to identify by division the sports that may count in the standings.

Sports Not IncludedSports that will not be included in the Directors' Cup standings are any sports not included in the divisional lists. This includes sports in which the NCAA or NAIA does not sponsor a championship.

Fraud86 knows all just ask him. But watch out he has been known to be a liar which is always entertaining.

Here is the link to the information, again:

You've really got to look at the whole thing. Expository writing, such as writing down rules, is not an easy task and sometimes wording can be a little confusing. Please, notice this line:

Value by Sport
Based on the adoption of the above philosophy, the committee reinstated all sports in which the NCAA or NAIA offers a championship...

Ok, once you recognize that, and please notice it is even repeated in the second sentence you yourself quoted, it is then impossible to not recognize that sports which enjoy an NCAA title are included. How else could this be the case:

Since the men have more possible sports in which to score, fencing and skiing will initially be counted in the women's tally. However, these sports can be switched into the men's tally if the women score in more than their permissible number of sports.

There you go. Ten sports EACH are counted in men's and women's sports. Sports that offer an NCAA Championship are qualified to be ON a divisional list. Any school interested in winning will include their ten best scoring sports.

Bottom line, with great respect Hawkeye1986, you have misinterpreted this "Divisional List" to be some rule of the ONLY sports that can qualify. No, the Divisional List is just the name the NCAA has given to the list of top ten scoring men's and women's sports. That "Divisional List" could darn well include any sport as long as the NCAA awards it a Championship.

You've really got to look at the whole thing. Expository writing, such as writing down rules, is not an easy task and sometimes wording can be a little confusing. Please, notice this line:

Value by Sport
Based on the adoption of the above philosophy, the committee reinstated all sports in which the NCAA or NAIA offers a championship...

Ok, once you recognize that, and please notice it is even repeated in the second sentence you yourself quoted, it is then impossible to not recognize that sports which enjoy an NCAA title are included. How else could this be the case:

Since the men have more possible sports in which to score, fencing and skiing will initially be counted in the women's tally. However, these sports can be switched into the men's tally if the women score in more than their permissible number of sports.

There you go. Ten sports EACH are counted in men's and women's sports. Sports that offer an NCAA Championship are qualified to be ON a divisional list. Any school interested in winning will include their ten best scoring sports.

Bottom line, with great respect Hawkeye1986, you have misinterpreted this "Divisional List" to be some rule of the ONLY sports that can qualify. No, the Divisional List is just the name the NCAA has given to the list of top ten scoring men's and women's sports. That "Divisional List" could darn well include any sport as long as the NCAA awards it a Championship.

The key words are in which the NCAA or NAIA offers a championship.

Value by Sport

What NCAA championships are NOT included on the divisional list?

None, Hawkeye1986. I'm not sure why you are asking that question and suddenly I'm not sure you are understanding how it works. Let's try this.

You do know that a "Divisional List" in terms of Division One means the ten highest men's, and ten highest women's, scoring teams from a member institution. (with a little twist I already brought up) The sports they choose from must be sports that enjoy participation all the way up to an NCAA Championship. In other words, Marbles could be a sport at Wisconsin but because there is no NCAA Champion Marbles Team, Wisconsin cannot use that sport on their Divisional List. You get that, right?

Ok, but Synchronized Swimming, Women's Fencing, Shooting, Wrestling, in these sports the NCAA does crown a Champ. So they could appear on the list. Right?

So to your question, "What NCAA Championships are NOT included on the Divisional List? Again, none. Why would they be excluded by a member institution? We presume they want to finish as high as possible, right?

You are going to have to give me more info if you are disagreeing with any of this. As is what exactly do you think is going on here.

None, Hawkeye1986. I'm not sure why you are asking that question and suddenly I'm not sure you are understanding how it works. Let's try this.

You do know that a "Divisional List" in terms of Division One means the ten highest men's, and ten highest women's, scoring teams from a member institution. (with a little twist I already brought up) The sports they choose from must be sports that enjoy participation all the way up to an NCAA Championship. In other words, Marbles could be a sport at Wisconsin but because there is no NCAA Champion Marbles Team, Wisconsin cannot use that sport on their Divisional List. You get that, right?

Ok, but Synchronized Swimming, Women's Fencing, Shooting, Wrestling, in these sports the NCAA does crown a Champ. So they could appear on the list. Right?

So to your question, "What NCAA Championships are NOT included on the Divisional List? Again, none. Why would they be excluded by a member institution? We presume they want to finish as high as possible, right?

You are going to have to give me more info if you are disagreeing with any of this. As is what exactly do you think is going on here.
The Divisional List IS the championships sponsored by the NCAA. No one 'chooses' the sports they get points in. The Director's Cup awards points and if you go over 10, they eliminate the lowest scoring sport.

Fencing, Rifle and Wrestling DO appear on the list, so not sure what your point is. Synchronized Swimming DOES not appear on the list because it does not have a NCAA championship.

If you look at Stanford's list of sports, they sponsor several sports with no NCAA championships. So again someone needs to tell me how they have such a huge advantage.

Also do you know why this is?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT