ADVERTISEMENT

Director's Cup Standings through April 9th

Hawkeye1986, believe it or not, Synchronized Swimming does enjoy a US Collegiate National Championship. I already provided a link. But, here, let's say that because they don't appear on the following list they are excluded. I'll give you that one, though I doubt it to be the case. Alright, but you can't deny that any of the teams on the link provided will not be excluded from the Presidential Cup:

http://www.ncaa.com/championships

As to how that rewards a school like Stanford. It is simply obvious, the more sports, the more chances to score points. If it isn't obvious in the math, then maybe the reality that Stanford has won the last twenty, of only twenty-one, such titles will help.

As to your next question, regarding how men could have more possible sports. I'll let you work that out. It will be a good exercise is taking a step away from lists and into the reality of how things actually are. ;) (Hint...more women's sports COULD be offered...but ARE they? If in the real world there are more men's sports...then your question is answered.)

Hawkeye1986, believe it or not, Synchronized Swimming does enjoy a US Collegiate National Championship. I already provided a link. But, here, let's say that because they don't appear on the following list they are excluded. I'll give you that one, though I doubt it to be the case. Alright, but you can't deny that any of the teams on the link provided will not be excluded from the Presidential Cup:

As to how that rewards a school like Stanford. It is simply obvious, the more sports, the more chances to score points. If it isn't obvious in the math, then maybe the reality that Stanford has won the last twenty, of only twenty-one, such titles will help.

As to your next question, regarding how men could have more possible sports. I'll let you work that out. It will be a good exercise is taking a step away from lists and into the reality of how things actually are. ;) (Hint...more women's sports COULD be offered...but ARE they? If in the real world there are more men's sports...then your question is answered.)
Dan, believe it or not, synchronized swimming does NOT have a NCAA championship. Stanford does not even offer all the sports that qualify for points.

As for my next question, I know the answer, but you apparently do not. Skiing and fencing have combined NCAA championships. So schools who sponsor those sports are allowed to count it under men's or women's.

Thanks for attempting to play.

As for the reason, Stanford wins the cup, it is because they have an excellent athletic department and their teams do well at the national level. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that. Well at least I never thought it did until I read this thread.

Dan, believe it or not, synchronized swimming does NOT have a NCAA championship. Stanford does not even offer all the sports that qualify for points.

As for my next question, I know the answer, but you apparently do not. Skiing and fencing have combined NCAA championships. So schools who sponsor those sports are allowed to count it under men's or women's.

That's the way it looks to me. And I'm pretty sure that at least one of the sports that has a championship needs an asterisk. Not enough schools in D1A (or whatever they call it) offer men's gymnastics to meet the criterion for holding an NCAA championship. They hold one, because the NCAA granted a waiver to that rule.

Last year, Iowa scored ZERO points in women's XC, men's XC, field hockey, volleyball, women's gymnastics, men's swimming, women's swimming, men's track, women's track, baseball, women's golf, women's rowing, softball, women's tennis, and men's tennis.

And this was because? We don't offer enough sports? Please.

Well, I tried to have a conversation with you. At least I provided a link you could use, and have used, several times now. ;) I'll leave it at this, Stanford offers a bunch of sports, if some don't do well, others can make up for it. Thank you for attempting to play as well, Hawkeye1986.

Well, I tried to have a conversation with you. At least I provided a link you could use, and have used, several times now. ;) I'll leave it at this, Stanford offers a bunch of sports, if some don't do well, others can make up for it. Thank you for attempting to play as well, Hawkeye1986.
Wow. You actually don't realize your links don't show anything. Great for Stanford. They don't even offer all the sports that count toward the director's cup. It doesn't matter how many sports you offer if they don't count toward the director's cup. I don't understand how you can't understand this.

Stanford offers 13 men's sports that can receive points along with the co-ed fencing. That is not some big advantage.

You just keep posting. You win, I know nothing. Stanford has won twenty Directors Cups in a row because they are just that good.

Thumbs up. I give! The link you keep quoting that I provided is useless unless you quote it...whatever. WHERE IS THE IGNORE BUTTON!!!! :eek:

so Iowa scores zero points in many sports, while a school that DOESN'T offer those same sports also gets zero points.

that is why the director's cup is stupidly arbitrary.

You just keep posting. You win, I know nothing. Stanford has won twenty Directors Cups in a row because they are just that good.

Thumbs up. I give! The link you keep quoting that I provided is useless unless you quote it...whatever. WHERE IS THE IGNORE BUTTON!!!! :eek:
Because you don't even understand what you are quoting. If you think schools can just pick what sports they want to get points in, you are incorrect. The divisional list IS the same list as the NCAA championships. Sand volleyball, synchronized swimming, etc. are NOT counted for Stanford. Got it?

Almost all those sports Iowa got ZERO in....Stanford scored points in, so yah, their athletic dept. is just that good.

so Iowa scores zero points in many sports, while a school that DOESN'T offer those same sports also gets zero points.

You only can score in TEN sports in each gender. I suppose Iowa can start offering lacrosse so they can score zero in that too. What would that prove or help?

So since you all think Stanford wins the cup because they offer sand volleyball and synchronized swimming, how come some schools with less sports are able to place higher than teams with more sports than them? You think it is just all about how many sports you have so if that is the case, teams with less sports shouldn't score that high, right?

You certainly posted a ton of incorrect information regarding the director's cup so I won't dispute bolded above.

Ohio State offers more sports than Stanford but has never won a Director's Cup.

Ohio State offers more sports than Stanford but has never won a Director's Cup.

That's because Stanford is so insurmountably graced with miraculous sports programs that they have won twenty of twenty-one Director's Cups! They've got it going on! And may I suggest that in the future we as a race seek to populate with only the offspring of these Olympus born wonders!

There simply can't be another explanation except that they are that good! :rolleyes:

OK, some of you guys get this and some of you don't. This is how the NACDA Director's Cup works. Each school in Division I gets to count the scores from their respective 10 top performing men's sports and 10 top performing women's sports. Co-ed sports such as fencing, skiing and rifle will typically be counted in the women's category unless that school has more than 10 scoring sports on the women's side. At that point those three sports can be counted on the men's side if the men's side have fewer than 10 sports with a score. There are some nuances to it, but basically NACDA will calculate those sports in which ever category provides the maximum point calculation to the respective school. As determined by NACDA, only sports that the NCAA currently sponsors a national Championship in, will be eligible for consideration in the Director Cup competition. The NCAA does not sponsor championships in sailing, women's or men's rugby, men's rowing, sand volleyball, lightweight women's rowing, squash, synchronized swimming, or cheerleading. Therefore, for the purpose of the NACDA Director's cup, these sports do not exist.

Scoring is based off of a respective sport team's performance in the NCAA Championship. So if you don't make the NCAA Championship field in your respective sport, you have no chance of scoring Director's Cup points. There are formulas for each championship based on whether it is a field of 64, 32, 16 or less, or what is considered a non-bracketed field. Track & field, swimming, gymnastics, wrestling, etc. would be examples of this format. The only exception to this is FBS football. That scoring model is a combination of the final USA Today poll and whether you win your bowl game or not. Basically if you make a bowl game you are guaranteed no less than 25 points in the Director's Cup standings.

So let's look at Iowa. We currently sponsor 10 men's sports and 12 women's sports. However, track & field have both an indoor and outdoor season so each have two scoring opportunities. So we actually have 11 scoring opportunities on the men's side, of which the top-10 will be calculated for the Director's Cup, and we have 13 scoring opportunities on the women's side, of which the top-10 will be calculated for the Director's Cup.

Since Stanford has been brought up so much, let's take a look at them. Stanford currently offers 16 varsity sports for men, and 20 varsity sports for women, with fencing being a co-ed and as stated above will be considered a women's sport for the purpose of the Director's Cup competition. However, two of their men's sports and five of their women's sports are not sponsored by the NCAA and therefore do not exist for the purpose of the Director's Cup. So after counting the two opportunities in track & field and placing fencing in the women's category. Stanford has 14 scoring opportunities on the men's side, of which the top-10 will be calculated for the Director's Cup, and they have 16 scoring opportunities on the women's side, of which the top-10 will be calculated for the Director's Cup.

So Stanford only has 3 more scoring opportunities in both categories than Iowa does. Not nearly the huge advantage some think. Bottom line, Stanford wins the Director's Cup so often because they win a ton of National Championships in multiple sports and almost all of their sports qualify for NCAA Championship events which guarantees points.

There you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanL53
As is so often the case on these pages (as in the real world) two separate arguments were in progress and not everyone realized it.

Argument one: Does the number of sports offered affect the potential for scoring Director's Cup points? That is, does having more sports (like Stanford) give Stanford a greater chance to score points? Answer: Obviously yes.

Argument two: Is the large number of sports Stanford offers the reason Stanford consistently wins the Director's Cup? Answer: Obviously no. A school doesn't get points simply for offering a sports. It must excel in that sport.

Reactions: Myvue and DanL53
Obviously I've been mistaken. Where I went down the wrong path is when I noticed that a sport like Synchronized Swimming does receive a U.S. Collegiate Championship. For some reason I equated that with an NCAA Championship. My apologies.

Obviously I've been mistaken. Where I went down the wrong path is when I noticed that a sport like Synchronized Swimming does receive a U.S. Collegiate Championship. For some reason I equated that with an NCAA Championship. My apologies.

Wasn't there some news item just a day or two ago that Iowa had moved up in the Directors Cup. The no. 31 comes to mind, though that may not be it. Anyway, food for thought.

Wasn't there some news item just a day or two ago that Iowa had moved up in the Directors Cup. The no. 31 comes to mind, though that may not be it. Anyway, food for thought.

Yes. we are currently #31 in the standings nationally and #8 in the B1G. We had an excellent winter season. Unfortunately we do not have many scoring opportunities left. Baseball and men's golf may reach NCAA Championship play. We also have a shot to score some Director's cup points in men's track & field. Both Tennis programs, women's track and field, women's golf, softball, and rowing will all put up zero points. While at the same time, quite a few programs within 20-30 spots behind us in the current standings are going to score big points in baseball, softball, Lacrosse and track & field. Both Illinois and Maryland will leap frog us in the B1G. hopefully we can hold off Indiana and finis 10th in the B1G. Nationally we should most likely finish in the mid to high 50s.

As is so often the case on these pages (as in the real world) two separate arguments were in progress and not everyone realized it.

Argument one: Does the number of sports offered affect the potential for scoring Director's Cup points? That is, does having more sports (like Stanford) give Stanford a greater chance to score points? Answer: Obviously yes.

Argument two: Is the large number of sports Stanford offers the reason Stanford consistently wins the Director's Cup? Answer: Obviously no. A school doesn't get points simply for offering a sports. It must excel in that sport.
I don't think it was really two separate arguments. Some of the posters were under the illusion that schools just get to pick what sports they wanted counted in the director's cup and thought Stanford was at some great advantage for offering obscure sports. The Director's Cup is actually quite fair. Some schools do offer sports that are not others do not participate in such as field hockey and wrestling and there is probably some advantage to that.

However, as pointed out by LC, one must actually do well in those sports. Case in point, Iowa has 3 sports that are not offered by many other schools. One has always been an advantage for Iowa - wrestling, and another has been in the past - field hockey. However, the past few years, Iowa State which offers just the basic sports plus wrestling has been able to score higher than Iowa. ISU offers 7 men's sports and 11 women's sports. According to the arguments put forth by some of the posters on here, ISU should not be ranked anywhere near where they have been the past few years. But they pick up points in a good majority of the sports they offer.

So, yes, DanL, Stanford wins the Cup because they are VERY GOOD in many of the sports that count toward the points.

Reactions: Hawkeye1986
I don't think it was really two separate arguments. Some of the posters were under the illusion that schools just get to pick what sports they wanted counted in the director's cup and thought Stanford was at some great advantage for offering obscure sports. The Director's Cup is actually quite fair. Some schools do offer sports that are not others do not participate in such as field hockey and wrestling and there is probably some advantage to that.

However, as pointed out by LC, one must actually do well in those sports. Case in point, Iowa has 3 sports that are not offered by many other schools. One has always been an advantage for Iowa - wrestling, and another has been in the past - field hockey. However, the past few years, Iowa State which offers just the basic sports plus wrestling has been able to score higher than Iowa. ISU offers 7 men's sports and 11 women's sports. According to the arguments put forth by some of the posters on here, ISU should not be ranked anywhere near where they have been the past few years. But they pick up points in a good majority of the sports they offer.

So, yes, DanL, Stanford wins the Cup because they are VERY GOOD in many of the sports that count toward the points.
Yeah, ISU has done well in recent years considering its budget. One of the goals Jamie Pollard had when he took the job was to get the program into the director's cup top 50. This year will be a step back, I think, because in recent years, both BB teams advanced in the NCAA tournament, and this year neither did.

Yeah, ISU has done well in recent years considering its budget. One of the goals Jamie Pollard had when he took the job was to get the program into the director's cup top 50. This year will be a step back, I think, because in recent years, both BB teams advanced in the NCAA tournament, and this year neither did.
I don't know what your spring prospects are, but would guess you might score points in track. Currently, you are 40th and 4th in Big 12 behind Texas, Okla and Okie State. That doesn't seem too bad.

I don't know what your spring prospects are, but would guess you might score points in track. Currently, you are 40th and 4th in Big 12 behind Texas, Okla and Okie State. That doesn't seem too bad.
ISU could score in men's track and in men's golf. Definitely not in baseball.

Obviously. :rolleyes:

Not sure how you figure that. I had assumed Iowa got points for field hockey, but apparently this wasn't a very good season for Iowa in that sport. But the numbers I'm seeing show Iowa with 380 points and ISU with 346. One hundred of Iowa's points come from sports not offered by ISU -- 64 in men's gymnastics and 36 in men's swimming. Since the margin is 34 points, and Iowa scored 100 points in sports not offered by ISU, I think it's fair to say that Iowa is leading because it got points in sports ISU does not offer.
You are only looking at the winter standings. You add fall and winter to get up to date totals. ISU is well over 500 and Iowa is over 400.

isu fans and AD tout the Directors Cup until it shows Iowa as big brother yet again. LC is hilarious he complains that the only reason Iowa leads is because isu doesn't offer Men's Swimming and Men's Gymnastics. Yet it is isu that had those sports until they were to poor to afford them. Hey ignore that a huge chunk of isu's points come from Women's Volleyball and Women's Cross-Country LC does.
What is your point? The Directors Cup measures athletic department competetiveness. And you wonder why an AD would be proud of that? You are a sharp tool! Barta doesn't tout it because Iowa is near the bottom.

inigo-montoya.gif

What is your point? The Directors Cup measures athletic department competetiveness. And you wonder why an AD would be proud of that? You are a sharp tool! Barta doesn't tout it because Iowa is near the bottom.

My point is isu fans and AD only want to tout the Directors Cup in certain circumstances and when they are outperforming Iowa. When Iowa does better which has been the case the majority of the past 20 years they want nothing to do with it. Feel free to prove otherwise. Any old press release from isu that touts the Directors Cup while acknowledging being out done by Iowa will do. If you want a press release where they tout outdoing Iowa I would be happy to post it.

Knock yourselves out clown fans. This will be entertaining as always.

Last edited:
You are only looking at the winter standings. You add fall and winter to get up to date totals. ISU is well over 500 and Iowa is over 400.

Wrong again. The standings do include the fall points. isu is below Iowa.

Why do you encourage 100something?

My point is isu fans and AD only want to tout the Directors Cup in certain circumstances and when they are outperforming Iowa. When Iowa does better which has been the case the majority of the past 20 years they want nothing to do with it. Feel free to prove otherwise. Any old press release from isu that touts the Directors Cup while acknowledging being out done by Iowa will do. If you want a press release where they tout outdoing Iowa I would be happy to post it.

Knock yourselves out clown fans. This will be entertaining as always.
I'd be more interested in you providing an old press release from Iowa touting the Director's Cup while acknowledging being out done by ISU.

I'd also be interested in Iowa's press releases touting its finish in the final standings in 2014, 2013, 2012.

I'd be more interested in you providing an old press release from Iowa touting the Director's Cup while acknowledging being out done by ISU.

I'd also be interested in Iowa's press releases touting its finish in the final standings in 2014, 2013, 2012.

Why would big brother need to acknowledge little brother? Can Fraud86 find an Iowa press release showing Iowa acting with "Little Brother Syndrome"?

Link? Or a lie either are very entertaining.

Why would big brother need to acknowledge little brother? Can Fraud86 find an Iowa press release showing Iowa acting with "Little Brother Syndrome"?

Link? Or a lie either are very entertaining.

Called it. Fraud86 can't produce a press release showing Iowa acting like isu. I win again.

Called it. Fraud86 can't produce a press release showing Iowa acting like isu. I win again.
I never said I was going to produce anything. I want to see the press releases Iowa sent out that are like the press releases you berating ISU for NOT sending out.

I never said I was going to produce anything. I want to see the press releases Iowa sent out that are like the press releases you berating ISU for NOT sending out.

Called it again. I mock isu for acting like little brother and Fraud86 has no response. I win.

Actually I did have a response. But you are ignoring it.

You did. I missed where you have any evidence what so ever of Iowa acting like isu. I can't find any press-release from Iowa touting that we were the best in the state when it comes to the Directors Cup. I can easily produce such a little brother move from isu if you want. Come on Fraud pull your usual tactic and demand a link. Who want to bet Fraud86 ignores or asks a question?

So to quote Dirty Harry "well punk do ya feel lucky".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT