ADVERTISEMENT

Dismantling Christine Grant's Legacy

Originally posted by FG86:

Originally posted by 5Fan5:

Dingman had a great deal of experience and successful experience at that.
Please post Iowa Volleyball records (overall and conference) while under the direction of Sharon Dingman. TIA.

clown.r191677.gif
The discussion was not about Dingman's record at UI. The discussion was if she had experience prior to being hired. She did and plenty of it.
Wrong again, Pretender. The discussion was/is about justified termination of University of Iowa employees.

Dingman was provided opportunities to coach at Iowa and failed miserably. Fact is, she was retained too long - changes were warranted long before this past year.

(Maybe you can contact her and let her in on your 'wisdom'.... you know, about how good the big xii is in comparison to the Big Ten in volleyball!)

clown.r191677.gif
Actually you are wrong. The question posed by another poster was: The big increase came in volleyball going from Dingman to Shymansky, a raise of 31% - nearly $40k. Someone with more knowledge of volleyball can chime in regarding them and their qualifications.
Sure thing, Pretender.... that is the sole point of how many posts on this thread by just YOU now?

The 'big picture' YOU have spent literally hours and days trying to portray here on a football board is that the University of Iowa is just so unfair in its treatment of female coaches. This is a perfect example of where a coach was dismissed (with cause) and replaced by a person very qualified to lead the program.

Or, is what YOU are now trying to avoid having to say is that Illinois State may not have been the best proving grounds for having hired Sharon Dingman in the first place. Post her record and show how wrong I am.

clown.r191677.gif

Dingman had a great deal of experience and successful experience at that.
Please post Iowa Volleyball records (overall and conference) while under the direction of Sharon Dingman. TIA.

clown.r191677.gif
The discussion was not about Dingman's record at UI. The discussion was if she had experience prior to being hired. She did and plenty of it.
Wrong again, Pretender. The discussion was/is about justified termination of University of Iowa employees.

Dingman was provided opportunities to coach at Iowa and failed miserably. Fact is, she was retained too long - changes were warranted long before this past year.

(Maybe you can contact her and let her in on your 'wisdom'.... you know, about how good the big xii is in comparison to the Big Ten in volleyball!)

clown.r191677.gif
Actually you are wrong. The question posed by another poster was: The big increase came in volleyball going from Dingman to Shymansky, a raise of 31% - nearly $40k. Someone with more knowledge of volleyball can chime in regarding them and their qualifications.
Sure thing, Pretender.... that is the sole point of how many posts on this thread by just YOU now?

The 'big picture' YOU have spent literally hours and days trying to portray here on a football board is that the University of Iowa is just so unfair in its treatment of female coaches. This is a perfect example of where a coach was dismissed (with cause) and replaced by a person very qualified to lead the program.

Or, is what YOU are now trying to avoid having to say is that Illinois State may not have been the best proving grounds for having hired Sharon Dingman in the first place. Post her record and show how wrong I am.

clown.r191677.gif
You are a nut job.

I haven't spent hours let alone days portraying that UI is unfair to female coaches.

I don't care about Illinois State or Dingman's record. The poster asked about her qualifications prior to being hired by UI. I stated she was very qualified. Dingman had more coaching experience than just Illinois State BTW. The poster didn't ask anything about her record at UI.

If you weren't so crazed and obsessed with my posts, you would have been able to follow along with the actual discussion.

Beth Beglin is refusing to acknowledge that her beloved female coaches are the one causing the decline in performance. Of course that doesn't fit within her agenda.

Not to mention the conflict of interest that has existed for decades with interdepartmental relationships.

Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:
Beth Beglin is refusing to acknowledge that her beloved female coaches are the one causing the decline in performance. Of course that doesn't fit within her agenda.

Not to mention the conflict of interest that has existed for decades with interdepartmental relationships.
You mean coaches like Blevins did? Or how about Bluder?

Conflict of interests? Such as Ferentz and Ferentz, Ferentz and Barnes, Mims and Mims?

Bahahaha.

I'll take your word for it that a Quaker school with around what, 30 hschoolers, played field hockey. I'll stand by the previous post. Christine's legacy includes saddling us with field hockey.

Originally posted by cecilB:
Bahahaha.

I'll take your word for it that a Quaker school with around what, 30 hschoolers, played field hockey. I'll stand by the previous post. Christine's legacy includes saddling us with field hockey.
Saddling us? The field hockey program is only 2nd to wrestling in Big Ten titles.

Nine teams in the B1G play field hockey and it is a sponsored conference sport.

I'm sure you can explain why Bluder wasn't fired at some point during the past 5-6 years. Particularly since she hires lesbians that Barta hates, and makes a lot of money,and can't make the sweet 16.

1. Nobody cares about FH
2. Every scholarship is out of state = you get the finance of that, right

It needs to just go away.

Beth Beglin, former field hockey coach turned attorney, has written an open letter "Dismantling Christine Grant's Legacy," outlining how Grant's 27 years of work at Iowa has been dismantled. She provides many examples of gender inequity under Gary Barta and shows how the badly the athletic department performance has declined under Barta.

Interesting piece. Just by the examples of inequity she provided, it seems Newkirk and those behind the scenes have done quite a bit of homework, and seemingly will have a pretty good case against Barta and UI.
Trolling again , huh. Yawn.

I have no problem with us having field hockey since we have been very good at it. If we sucked at field hockey like we have in most other minor sports I would say drop it since there is no HS field hockey in the state.

My proposal to make title 9 fair is that sports that make the money (football and basketball) to support all the other sports do not count towards the rule of equal number of male/female sports/athletes. How much money do you think any public university is going to spend on sports if there was no football or men's basketball to cover most of the bills? I have three daughters and coach a girls HS sport and enjoy watching the Hawkeye women's basketball team so I am not biased against female sports. It does bother me when a female fan, coach or administrator complains about how much money we spend on football. Do they not understand there would be no rowing team, no volleyball team, no softball team, and no golf or tennis team if there was no football program to make the money to support them? At best those sports would be club sports and teams would have to raise their own money for equipment, uniforms and transportation to play other club teams within driving distance.

Originally posted by Titanhawk2:
Case for what? Is he being charged with something?
Are you being sarcastic or are you just completely clueless what is going on in the UI athletic department?
No, not sarcastic, and don't work in or with the athletic department to know what really goes on. Is he charged with something to build a case on? Are you just talking about Griesbaum? I read charges of inequity - I don't think there are any equity laws, not the same as equality. I read violations of a Memoranda - I don't believe memoranda are binding. So I ask.

Originally posted by cecilB:
Just checking FG... Who are these IA HS that once played field hockey
It was one of the first sports promoted by the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union and played widely throughout the state in the 1960s and into the 1970s, but primarily on an intramural basis instead of interscholastically. As a result of Title IX, schools began to scramble to increase female participation in sports. The IGHSAU started to strongly promote participation in volleyball because it was a sport they felt all schools in the state could sponsor financially which would increase female participation in high school varsity athletics. As volleyball participation went up, field hockey participation went down and ultimately the IGHSAU stopped supporting it.

The Daily Iowan wrote an article on this a few years back. I tried to find it, but couldn't.

Iowa once had a girls HS gymnastic championship annually, but decided not to continue it. Maybe injuries, maybe other reasons. Anyone know the reasons? It's all clubs now, but when the championship was held the girls who competed for the HSs most have learned in a local club.

Originally posted by IamHawkeye:
Iowa once had a girls HS gymnastic championship annually, but decided not to continue it. Maybe injuries, maybe other reasons. Anyone know the reasons? It's all clubs now, but when the championship was held the girls who competed for the HSs most have learned in a local club.
Cost. Very expensive to maintain the equipment and the liability insurance and heath insurance a school district would have to carry in order to sponsor the sport is off the charts. This is not just the case in Iowa. Probably only a handful of school districts in the country that can afford and are willing to sponsor a gymnastics program.

Originally posted by hawkaholic:

I have no problem with us having field hockey since we have been very good at it. If we sucked at field hockey like we have in most other minor sports I would say drop it since there is no HS field hockey in the state.

My proposal to make title 9 fair is that sports that make the money (football and basketball) to support all the other sports do not count towards the rule of equal number of male/female sports/athletes. How much money do you think any public university is going to spend on sports if there was no football or men's basketball to cover most of the bills? I have three daughters and coach a girls HS sport and enjoy watching the Hawkeye women's basketball team so I am not biased against female sports. It does bother me when a female fan, coach or administrator complains about how much money we spend on football. Do they not understand there would be no rowing team, no volleyball team, no softball team, and no golf or tennis team if there was no football program to make the money to support them? At best those sports would be club sports and teams would have to raise their own money for equipment, uniforms and transportation to play other club teams within driving distance.
They have already tried this. In fact this is how Title IX was enforced for about the first 15 years of it's existence. However, the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 specifically eliminated a schools ability to do this and still achieve compliance with Title IX. There have a been a number of court cases since that has upheld this.

So in order to do this, you should contact your Congressmen to sponsor legislation amending the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987. Good luck and let me know what feedback you get.

Originally posted by Arbor1:
Interesting that these people all willingly, freely and enthusiastically accepted employment at the offer price from the UI. Maybe the offers represented market value for the sports involved. No one put a gun to their head to accept an under market offer if that is their contention (after the fact). Going public usually represents an attempt to intimidate because the facts do not support the shakedown - err, I mean complaint.
solid post, ignored by the masses it appears

ADVERTISEMENT