ADVERTISEMENT

Do you partake in New Year's Eve festivities?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I can't remember the last time stayed up to midnight, much less cut loose on NYE. NYE of 1999 is probably the last time I was interested in NYE, and that was just because there was the chance civilization might crumble as all the computers failed. Mrs. Lucas and I had a drink on Amtrak traveling to Winter Park one NYE, but it wasn't that festive.
Are you hosting a party or going to one with the intent of getting loaded? Are you going out to a bar to celebrate? If you do not partake when did you quit caring about NYE?

In laws are coming over for their Xmas. So I'll smoke a pork loin and have a few drinks. Probably fall asleep by 11.

Reactions: Moral
I'm cooking some beef back ribs, smoked shotgun shells, sausage-stuffed shrimp, roasted broccoli and probably some other snacks.

And drinking will be on the menu, too.

Reactions: jasonrann
I’ll be roasting TWO cans of baked beans, thank you food bank, over a steel 55 gallon drum and to compliment that I’ll be serving MD 20/20 pink grapefruit to all my closest friends underneath our bridge.

We actually went out for dinner and drinks tonight. Going out tomorrow night is a nut house.

Probably drinks and cards with close friends and watch the ball drop during the euchre tournament.

We actually went out for dinner and drinks tonight. Going out tomorrow night is a nut house.

Probably drinks and cards with close friends and watch the ball drop during the euchre tournament.
My mom bartended for many years and she always said nye was amateur hour. All the people who regularly go out and know how to handle themselves stayed home and it was the one night those who never do, go out and cut loose and don't know how to handle themselves. I tend to agree with her so I avoid it.

I was just talking to the wife about this. It's probably been 20 years since going out to ring in the New Year. Old folks.

Reactions: lucas80
I’ll be roasting TWO cans of baked beans, thank you food bank, over a steel 55 gallon drum and to compliment that I’ll be serving MD 20/20 pink grapefruit to all my closest friends underneath our bridge.
Football Hello GIF by Apple TV+

Reactions: Moral
I'm cooking some beef back ribs, smoked shotgun shells, sausage-stuffed shrimp, roasted broccoli and probably some other snacks.

And drinking will be on the menu, too.
Smoking some shotgun shells seems like the most Florida thing ever. Do you all stand around the smoker, then finish them on the grill and guess when they’ll explode?

I have my own with my dogs. Smoke some bowls. Enjoy some snacks.

Going to a friend's for the bowl game Monday.

I can't remember the last time stayed up to midnight, much less cut loose on NYE. NYE of 1999 is probably the last time I was interested in NYE, and that was just because there was the chance civilization might crumble as all the computers failed. Mrs. Lucas and I had a drink on Amtrak traveling to Winter Park one NYE, but it wasn't that festive.
Are you hosting a party or going to one with the intent of getting loaded? Are you going out to a bar to celebrate? If you do not partake when did you quit caring about NYE?
We have both our girls over this year with the grandkids and Mil so I’ll be staying up. We’ll watch the fireworks on okaloosa island. I’m one of the DD’s unfortunately but the trade off is all day football tomorrow. Pizza/wings/beer starting with the Iowa game…

I think I got the better part of that compromise

Dang. You own your own bridge? Impressive.

No plans for the night. Probably grab dinner then smoke a pork butt overnight so it’s good to go for lunch prior to the bowl games tomorrow. 4 to 6 hours of smoke on the traeger then 10 to 11 hours at 225. I’ll let it sit for a half hour or so then pull apart into large chunks to keep the moisture in it.

Last edited:
Update-the tenderloins were absolutely fantastic. Perfect smoke. So moist they could have an onlyfans account.

Reactions: 3boysmom
My mom bartended for many years and she always said nye was amateur hour. All the people who regularly go out and know how to handle themselves stayed home and it was the one night those who never do, go out and cut loose and don't know how to handle themselves. I tend to agree with her so I avoid it.
Same deal with St. Patrick's day.

Reactions: nelly02
One of my 60ish wood not lady co-workers told me her weekend plans when we checked out, and she told me she was going to get a piece at J&A Tap on NYE. Some fella is grabbing a tiger by the tail tonight.

It's been many years but you could also tell the Amateur's by how they dressed. Amateurs always dressed really nice. Like are they going to a movie premiere. Regulars looked alright but didn't stand out.

I learned many year’s ago, NYE was amateur night. I had a favorite (and popular) metro bar whose owner NEVER opened on NYE and the only NYD he was open were when the Hawks were playing in a bowl game...and those days he furnished the food!
He told once that if he had to be open in Christmas Eve/Christmas Day of NYE/NYD to make a living, he was in the wrong business. Made me think if I needed to go to a bar on those days, I probably had a drinking problem.
I have a nice fireplace...a nicer TV and some damn fine scotch and bourbon and a great recliner at home. And no worries about cops, either.

Reactions: auntie_fah
Depends on the company you keep.

I have had a lot of fond memories of NYE...........I've also had my share of boring and borderline depressing NYE's.

It will never be overrated to me, but it will always be what I make of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT