ADVERTISEMENT

Dochterman says the Offensive Line blocked very well & Looked the Part against a very good Iowa Defense

Where Have I Heard That Before Matty Mulligan GIF - Where have i ...

KF has been working with the OL this spring; maybe it's paying dividends.

Check this out & watch:

Kirk has been doing that for years. I watched TalkNHawks with the Vandenbergs last year when Cade was interviewed. He said, he loved watching Kirk coach the O-line. He said how intense it was.

Eyeballs don't lie!

Mmmmm….not a football related jab, but I’d wager you could find tons of published articles and books refuting that thought

Just sayin’…. This board isn’t what you would consider a spot where empathetic, deep thinking, philosophers hang out.

It’s more this sucks and that sucks and someone needs fired. If there were more deep thinkers, people would understand that’s a dicey opinion…..Eyeballs done lie”

Good schemes can make average OL look great. There’s not a single OL that played for Kansas the last few years with a better recruiting profile than all of our OL (except DeJong), but that line opened up massive holes for an incredible offense.

Sometimes, it IS the X’s & O’s.
Can "good" schemes make a bad OL look average? Even if Iowa WR's are marginally better is that enough to prevent 7 or 8 or even 9 man fronts from opposing defenses? Will they be able to open holes in the run game? That is the concern I have, seeing opponents loading up the box as they have in the recent pass.

Maybe Iowa will go away from the zone blocking scheme and get some bodies on bodies and maybe improve the OL to a point that opponents have to play "honest". I guess we'll see come fall.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Can "good" schemes make a bad OL look average? Even if Iowa WR's are marginally better is that enough to prevent 7 or 8 or even 9 man fronts from opposing defenses? Will they be able to open holes in the run game? That is the concern I have, seeing opponents loading up the box as they have in the recent pass.

Maybe Iowa will go away from the zone blocking scheme and get some bodies on bodies and maybe improve the OL to a point that opponents have to play "honest". I guess we'll see come fall.
This is where RPO’s and extensive motion are handy. You force the defense to tip their hand, isolate the defender that’s in conflict, and make a fairly simple read to decide run/pass.

The fact that it confuses OUR defense should not be taken lightly. Our entire ethos is built around preventing the big play and always being in position to limit the space an offense can operate in.

We’re going away from an offense of “You guys figure it out and make all the reads and if our 5 OL can’t block a 6-man pressure than that’s their fault.” to a specific scheme with a specific purpose that has much more direction and lessens the mental load of our players considerably. I trust Lester about 2500% more than BF to figure out how to beat a loaded box.

This is where RPO’s and extensive motion are handy. You force the defense to tip their hand, isolate the defender that’s in conflict, and make a fairly simple read to decide run/pass.

The fact that it confuses OUR defense should not be taken lightly. Our entire ethos is built around preventing the big play and always being in position to limit the space an offense can operate in.

We’re going away from an offense of “You guys figure it out and make all the reads and if our 5 OL can’t block a 6-man pressure than that’s their fault.” to a specific scheme with a specific purpose that has much more direction and lessens the mental load of our players considerably. I trust Lester about 2500% more than BF to figure out how to beat a loaded box.
Agreed!! Iowa has made an already tough position to play much more difficult up front. That’s probably one of the biggest things I’m looking for and excited the most about is seeing how we can help our OL out.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

Which I really like. Lester against Phil. Iron sharpens iron.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Eyeballs don't lie!
Eyeballs don't lie and also, stats don't lie. Offense is easy to measure---points or lack of points scored in case of Iowa offense.

Casual fans were able to see we had a fat QB with mobility and accuracy issues, turnstiles on OL, and slower/smallish/lessor athletes at WR with bad hands. The entire offensive scheme was not creative. The guy that oversaw/managed the chit show got fired and the CEO of the program took a dent to his reputation as OL guru. New year, offense has new managements, but still needs a talent infusion. Still lacking quality talent/depth at OT.

Eyeballs don't lie and also, stats don't lie. Offense is easy to measure---points or lack of points scored in case of Iowa offense.

Casual fans were able to see we had a fat QB with mobility and accuracy issues, turnstiles on OL, and slower/smallish/lessor athletes at WR with bad hands. The entire offensive scheme was not creative. The guy that oversaw/managed the chit show got fired and the CEO of the program took a dent to his reputation as OL guru. New year, offense has new managements, but still needs a talent infusion. Still lacking quality talent/depth at OT.
Excellent synopsis!!!

Which I could be that eloquent.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
They certainly could be better. But I'll believe it when I see it on the field in an actual game against a competent opposing D.

They certainly could be better. But I'll believe it when I see it on the field in an actual game against a competent opposing D.
I'll take looking better against a high school defense. The high last year of 41 points was against a team that gave up an average of 32 per game. The next highest of 24 came against a defense giving up 34.6. (I'm not counting the 26 against MSU for coop reasons)

Not positive, but I believe the 49ers zone block, and I know old me and Shannahan was a big zone block guy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT