ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN analysis: 9 wins possible

cedarvalleykid14

All-Conference
Jun 7, 2015
Nothing new in it, but the ESPN article is a highly objective preview of the 2015 Hawkeyes' chances. Read it here: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/121002/why-iowa-will-or-wont-win-nine-games

Against this schedule, 9 wins seems minimal, except when we take the KF/GD factors into account. Unless those two let CJ loose and operate an offense designed to score TDs, a few key injuries could make for a miserable season.

So Iowa needs an aggressive offense, needs to avoid key injuries, and 9 wins or more could happen. This is a season that, despite the mediocre schedule, is shaping as too tough to call.

"...and in fact the Hawkeyes were in the division hunt up until the final two weeks last season"...boy, that is a low bar. Think about it: After 6 games, even if someone is 6-0, you'd have to be 3-3 or worse to not be "in the hunt".

I think 9 wins is possible with this group, the whole key is going to be winning 2 of the 3 phases of the games. They have to stay ahead in the turnover battle and they have to start to win the special teams aspect of games. I cannot remember Special Teams being so horrible under KF. Our return games and also our punt/kick games were horrible the past 2 years. I don't know who it is but someone has to step up and become a game changer in the special teams.

This offense can be good, but they have to control the ball and not turn it over. They also have to be able to give the defense a break in games. Ball control is huge for this group.

Preseason last year Oklahoma and Bama (and Oregon maybe?) were favored in every game, while our Hawkeyes were one of a few teams favored in all but one game. Does this mean we are not as strong on paper?

If Iowa gets to 8 wins I will consider the season a success.

If Iowa gets to 9 wins I will be absolutely shocked

If Iowa gets to 10+ wins I will probably die of shock. This team is going to be good, but the bad coaching always seems to rear its ugly head in a couple of games and it costs us. So hopefully the players can overcome poor coaching and get at least 8 wins (Ill st, NT, PITT, Purdue, Indiana, Illini, Maryland, and Minny) Those games I feel are winnable games for the hawks. (ISU, Wisky, Nebbie, and NW) are all toss ups. These games could go either way. I do not see one game where I am writing off as a loss. If OSU was on the schedule I would chalk that up as a loss before the season started.

8 wins is the max ceiling for this team. And I guess you can blame that entirely on the coaches for not having a team with enough talent to do better, regardless of what they do to try and "coach them up".

Iowa just doesn't have the talent or the necessary decision-making skill within the coaching staff, to keep from losing two more games, at least, on top of the Wisconsin and Nebraska losses.

And think about this. You're expecting a better record than last year from a worse offensive line, a worse overall defensive line, still unproven now-sophomore and RS freshman linebackers (Morris, Hitchens and Kirksey were juniors when Iowa went 4-8) and only one WR capable of creating anything on his own..............simply because YOU think the schedule is weak.............

And obviously there's the coaching mistakes that we have to factor in.

Yes, anything less than 9 wins with that kind of a team should be unacceptable!!! :confused:

Our fans' expectations aren't going to meet with the reality of this football team and what they are (and aren't) capable of.

Every game is winnable imo.

Yep. Nebraska and Wisconsin with new coaches...they're just going to have to prove it to me.

Low injury count, lines step up, playmakers develop...anything is certainly possible. And if the reverse occurs, 5-7 is also possible.

I've given up trying to figure out wins before a season with this program, but I'd say the 4 non-cons will give us a pretty good indicator. Stub their toes early, could be another middling season. Get through it unscathed, could be a very good season.

Yep. Nebraska and Wisconsin with new coaches...they're just going to have to prove it to me.

Low injury count, lines step up, playmakers develop...anything is certainly possible. And if the reverse occurs, 5-7 is also possible.

I've given up trying to figure out wins before a season with this program, but I'd say the 4 non-cons will give us a pretty good indicator. Stub their toes early, could be another middling season. Get through it unscathed, could be a very good season.
Well, just base it on how we do in the Iowa State game. Iowa has only once won more than 7 games under Kirk in a year we lost to Iowa State (2002). We've only once won less than 8 games when we beat ISU (2006).

If we beat Iowa State, we'll probably win 8 or 9 games. If we lose, we'll probably win 5 or 6. That should help adjust your "expectations" a little bit.

Reactions: B1G
Iowa can win 9.... I expect 7, tops. I just can't remove that 2014 loss to ISU from my memory.. In Kinnick, to a team that beat only ONE other team all year long. That was less than a year ago. The ugly losses to Minnesota, and Tennessee.. This is not the same program that it was 5-10 years ago.

Come on, Hawks. Prove me wrong.

Well, just base it on how we do in the Iowa State game. Iowa has only once won more than 7 games under Kirk in a year we lost to Iowa State (2002). We've only once won less than 8 games when we beat ISU (2006).

If we beat Iowa State, we'll probably win 8 or 9 games. If we lose, we'll probably win 5 or 6. That should help adjust your "expectations" a little bit.

Agreed. Don't stub your toe on the ISU's and things could get interesting around here in a good way.

I think the floor is 4-5 wins. I just don't know what the ceiling is.

Agreed. Don't stub your toe on the ISU's and things could get interesting around here in a good way.

I think the floor is 4-5 wins. I just don't know what the ceiling is.
Pass defense and tackling have to better for us to be better in 2015. And, we have to stop teams from converting in 3rd and long situations. If we can find a way to make steady improvement in those areas; we will have a 9 win season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT