ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN NBA Draft Analyst: Payton Sandfort has a Ready-Made Skill for the NBA. Invited to May 12-19 NBA Draft Combine

The game constantly evolves. Nothing is static in sport. Korver played when he played, dictated by his birth certificate, And he played in the League for many years…. Much longer than anyone ever predicted. And he wasn’t there to play defense. Korver was a premium 3 point shooter with a great work ethic. Who knows where the game will be in another 5 years?

It's interesting how the 3 point shot changed everything, both in the pro and college ranks.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar first attempted a 3 point shot in the 1979-80 season (he missed). In 10 seasons, from 1979-80 until he retired (1988-89), he was 1-18 (6%) from three.

Karl Anthony Towns, another center, in 9 seasons with the Timberwolves, is 975-2,452 (39.8%) from three.

Hopefully Payton can find his niche with a team.

Kareem does have the 37th best eFG% of all time. But the top 12 eFG% of all time are centers. Coincidentally, the guy who wouldn’t be able to play in the NBA today according to rockenrollerdouche is 24th all time. He’s the third non-center, behind Steph Curry & Joe Ingles.
Stat doesn't take into account whether a player was a go-to scorer, or a guy that got a lot of easy shots because the defense wasn't geared to stop them.

Reactions: chaneccooms
It's interesting how the 3 point shot changed everything, both in the pro and college ranks.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar first attempted a 3 point shot in the 1979-80 season (he missed). In 10 seasons, from 1979-80 until he retired (1988-89), he was 1-18 (6%) from three.

Karl Anthony Towns, another center, in 9 seasons with the Timberwolves, is 975-2,452 (39.8%) from three.

Hopefully Payton can find his niche with a team.
Kareem was not an outside shooter, and I am surprised he even took 18 in his whole career. At least 90% of his shots were his sky hook. I think I read that he only had a shot blocked about 6 times in his long career. Kareem was so good coming out of HS, the college BB banned dunking for a few years out of fear for what he would do.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Kareem was not an outside shooter, and I am surprised he even took 18 in his whole career. At least 90% of his shots were his sky hook. I think I read that he only had a shot blocked about 6 times in his long career. Kareem was so good coming out of HS, the college BB banned dunking for a few years out of fear for what he would do.
In all fairness to the old timers, there wasn't a big man in the league from the 60's-90's who could/would shoot from 3 point distance. Kareem & Wilt were both very good to great athletes. If the 3 point shot was a thing while they were growing up, I'm sure they would've adjusted their games & offensive repertoire to adapt.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
In all fairness to the old timers, there wasn't a big man in the league from the 60's-90's who could/would shoot from 3 point distance. Kareem & Wilt were both very good to great athletes. If the 3 point shot was a thing while they were growing up, I'm sure they would've adjusted their games & offensive repertoire to adapt.

51AZ9sOjL-L._UF1000,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg

Probably more of a power forward than center.
You are right, he spent twice the amount of minutes at PF than C. Was just thinking about big men in that era who could shoot. Laimbeer is another one, but he didn’t have the volume of threes that Perkins did.

Sam Perkins was a great clutch shooter. Although he could play minutes at center if needed depending on the lineup, he was really a power forward. His wing span is reportedly 7'6"; big help on D and also with getting his shot off.

Still amazing to think of that 81-82 UNC team with Jordan, Worthy and Perkins. Incredible to have 3 guys with that level of talent displayed over decades (40+ years among the three) in the NBA coming from one college team. A guy who is in the GOAT conversation, another who is a hall of famer and a guy who played 18 seasons in the league including 3 NBA finals appearances.

No, I agree with you. Kareem was incredible mid-range and with that sky hook. As we know, Garza has the sky hook in his aresenal. But now things are very different; centers pretty much are expected to be able to hit the 3 point shot

22" is incredibly bad for a top BB player, and more like us normal folks. I am sure Payton also rates very low on lateral quickness. He is a smart player, which helps him compensate for his physical limitations. That is how he averaged 6 boards/game. Payton can make good money playing overseas, but not so sure he will ever make and stay on an NBA roster. With all that negativity, he sure would help the Hawks chances of being a really good team next year.
That and having poorer rebounders around you mean more are available.

No, I agree with you. Kareem was incredible mid-range and with that sky hook. As we know, Garza has the sky hook in his aresenal. But now things are very different; centers pretty much are expected to be able to hit the 3 point shot
Yep. Whole different game that will keep evolving. Then, if you took the ball to the basket, you had to be tough enough to withstand the punishment. Now, there is almost no such thing as traveling or carrying the ball... Different skills required. Garza has nothing like Kareem's sky hook. Most only remember Kareem after he went to the Lakers and was only a shadow of what he was with the Bucks. Wilt had even less of his peak athleticism when he went to the Lakers. Both still contributed to championships.

Yep. Whole different game that will keep evolving. Then, if you took the ball to the basket, you had to be tough enough to withstand the punishment. Now, there is almost no such thing as traveling or carrying the ball... Different skills required. Garza has nothing like Kareem's sky hook. Most only remember Kareem after he went to the Lakers and was only a shadow of what he was with the Bucks. Wilt had even less of his peak athleticism when he went to the Lakers. Both still contributed to championships.

Kareem was the MVP of the league in his first 2 seasons with the Lakers (and a 3rd two seasons later). His FG% went up in LA as well. His scoring dropped a little because he took less shots. He eventually dropped off in LA due to age.

Reactions: littlez
No idea what you’re even talking about with Kareem and the Lakers. He was far from a shadow of himself on the Lakers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT