ADVERTISEMENT

Facilities: "Not going to find better setup in the country."

Originally posted by dawgs_04:
All these facilities and we're still not sexy enough to recruit well
Posted from Rivals Mobile
A few things:

* You have to get the kid on campus to see them first hand; and out of state kids have to pay their own way to Iowa City

* there are not many state of Iowa prospects for 2016, from what I have heard

* I am worried about negative recruiting (ie, recruiters saying Ferentz is on the hot seat; he wont be there 4 years from now; etc)

* we have not done much in the last 5 years; too many disappointing seasons

* sure, we have put OL and DL in the NFL; but when was last time we put a receiver, a RB, a QB in the NFL? its kind of a tough sell, for whatever reason

Dumb post.
Dumb.
Recruits pay the same to visit every school - whatever it takes. On official visits much of the cost is covered.
2016 in state firms up after camps for most.
Dumb

Originally posted by DogBoyRy:

Dumb post.

Dumb.

Recruits pay the same to visit every school - whatever it takes. On official visits much of the cost is covered.

Dumb

Visits do not cost the same out of pocket for everybody. Tell that to a kid in the south who we want to take an unofficial visit to Iowa city on his own dime.

Originally posted by OnceAhawk:

All these facilities and we're still not sexy enough to recruit well
A few things:

* You have to get the kid on campus to see them first hand; and out of state kids have to pay their own way to Iowa City[/B]

* there are not many state of Iowa prospects for 2016, from what I have heard

* I am worried about negative recruiting (ie, recruiters saying Ferentz is on the hot seat; he wont be there 4 years from now; etc)

* we have not done much in the last 5 years; too many disappointing seasons

* sure, we have put OL and DL in the NFL; but when was last time we put a receiver, a RB, a QB in the NFL? its kind of a tough sell, for whatever reason
Bingo. Need to hire a fella like this.

Dumb post.

Dumb.

Dumb

Visits do not cost the same out of pocket for everybody. Tell that to a kid in the south who we want to take an unofficial visit to Iowa city on his own dime.
agree with you, Dawgs; DogBoyRy is clearly ignorant or he is trying to flame/get a reaction, but I won't bite.

The states of Ohio, Florida, and Texas are just 3 examples of states full of recruits. Its must easier for these kids/prospects to take unofficial visits to Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Texas, Texas Tech and Texas A&M because the prospects can drive; if Iowa asked these same prospects to visit, you suddenly are talking air fare, rental car (from the Cedar Rapids airport) and a much more costly trip. If these kids are thinking Iowa but not sure, they might never make the trip simply because of cost. So, as DogBoyRy stated, "recruits pay the same to visit every school?" I think not.

Marc Morehouse and Scott Dochterman of the Cedar Rapids Gazette are on the record stating that 2016 is not going to be a good year for D1 Iowa high school football prospects, but hey, lets not believe them and take DogBoy's word for it!
wink.r191677.gif

More dumb posts
Dumb more posts
Posts more dumb.

Please look at who we've had on campus the last few years for visits and our current talent level.
We'll have plenty of talent visit - we just won't close the deals.

We'll probably also end up with a half dozen Iowa kids. 2-3 MAC kids like last year where we offer late after whiffing on out of state talent.

More dumb posts
Dumb more posts
Posts more dumb.

Please look at who we've had on campus the last few years for visits and our current talent level.
We'll have plenty of talent visit - we just won't close the deals.

We'll probably also end up with a half dozen Iowa kids. 2-3 MAC kids like last year where we offer late after whiffing on out of state talent.
And whiffing being the kids picked higher profile schools than ours because rep, and not because Iowa didn't "sell them enough over said higher profile schools"..................Deal with it.

I think Dogboy is talking about official visits?? Unofficial obviously has different costs for distance, etc. I'm hoping Dogboyroy is talking about official.

Doesn't matter. With this 1980's coaching staff, we'll still be bringing on MAC level recruits. Mix the facilities with a coach who eats, sleeps and breathes recruiting, we could be a force. But with this out of touch, lazy staff, we're screwed.

Enough with the excuses! Get it done Kirk!

Cripes that P.J. Fleck guy is selling air conditioners to eskimos!

Speaking of dumb posts, I'm surprised DogBoyRy know how to use a computer.

What does the recently completed facilities have to do with the recruits we've had on campus the last few years?

How does it cost the same for a kid from Georgia to take an unofficial visit to Iowa as it would for that recruit to visit Ga Tech instead?

FWIW a recruit from Ohio might drive thru or very close to the following campuses just to get to Iowa City: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois and NW.

You can't expect this to impact recruiting overnight, or even in 1-2 years. We JUST got this facility. Patience, grasshopper.

Originally posted by Eyeowahawks:
You can't expect this to impact recruiting overnight, or even in 1-2 years. We JUST got this facility. Patience, grasshopper.
i think we learn a lot from the 2016 class in how much it helps

I guess I would say just the opposite. We should know in the next year or two at the most what effect the new facility is having on recruiting.

Originally posted by Mohawkeye:

I guess I would say just the opposite. We should know in the next year or two at the most what effect the new facility is having on recruiting.
I think what he is saying is that we will have to see some consistency before we can declare whether they were a success or not. At this point, there is no reason we shouldn't at least be middle of the pack B1G year in and year out.

A typical lapdog response. If this staff wasn't completely impotent as recruiters you could have solde this facility TWO years ago to recruits as our commitment to trying to compete at the highest levels and that they would spend 60% or 50% of their careers in it.

This idea that the thing had to be erected before you could sell it to anyone is the type of idiocy that has blanketed this program for years.

Why isn't the Hawkeye promotions department handling this with a first class video of what we have to offer? You have to bait the hook if you want to get some nibbles.

Originally posted by mpls_hawki:

A typical lapdog response. If this staff wasn't completely impotent as recruiters you could have solde this facility TWO years ago to recruits as our commitment to trying to compete at the highest levels and that they would spend 60% or 50% of their careers in it.

This idea that the thing had to be erected before you could sell it to anyone is the type of idiocy that has blanketed this program for years.
Apparently, guys in years 1 and 2 will be skeptical of the new facility. Recruits might buy in by year three that it is in fact, a real facility. Or maybe they would be concerned someone in the AD wouldn't make payments on it for 2 years, and Iowa's new facility would be repossessed.

Iowa's never been able to recruit the greatest talent in the country even going back to Hayden Fry. Granted Ferentz has left a lot to be desired in the last few yrs. but that maybe the lack of developing the recruits or finding the diamonds in the ruff like in his early yrs. Not sure how much new facilities is going help Ferentz until he puts a better product on the field. It may take a coaching change before anything changes.

With the way things are going, it'll be out of date in 3-4 years anyway...

You have to know how to use your clubs. Kirk and his staff remind me of a shitty golfer with a $600 driver. The driver isn't going to make a difference.

They have a $53 million dollar facility and their recruiting did not improve. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder people are no longer supporting Kirk.

The new Football Operations building is great. All of Iowa's venues are pretty damn good, and it all helps in recruiting. But, it's only part of the package. Kids want to play where they have real future prospects and can get some national recognition under a coaching staff that didn't reach it's "sell by" date about three years ago.

This post was edited on 4/14 11:02 PM by OldTownPepe

Originally posted by Herkmeister:
You have to know how to use your clubs. Kirk and his staff remind me of a shitty golfer with a $600 driver. The driver isn't going to make a difference.

They have a $53 million dollar facility and their recruiting did not improve. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder people are no longer supporting Kirk.
................and herkmeister reminds me of someone who tries to put a Ferrari kit body on a Fiero and paint the wheel wells then bitches that his brother can't sell it for 30K.

Damn rare are you going to find a kid willing to leave S. Cal etc. for Iowa. Chances are they'll stay local. We have 37 years of evidence, but damn your eyes. Iowa City is small change for many a kid. Realize it.

At some point those world-class facilities better start paying off on the recruting front. Hmm, let's see ... do I choose Toledo, Western Michigan, or Iowa? This program has everything it needs to win ... except for its coach. As long as Kirk is here nothing else matters because we will continue to see the same 'ol same 'ol.

Originally posted by OtayLake Hawkeye:

Damn rare are you going to find a kid willing to leave S. Cal etc. for Iowa. Chances are they'll stay local. We have 37 years of evidence, but damn your eyes. Iowa City is small change for many a kid. Realize it.
That's true for the very best kids in California, Texas, Florida, etc... but go get the second-best kids in these markets. They are still much better than some slow plodder that played Iowa 2A football and has offers from Buffalo, Central Michigan, and the Hawks.

Maybe sell the fact that Iowa plays its games on national television. Maybe sell the fact that (somehow) KF & Co have sent quite a few kids on to the NFL. Maybe get with the times and sell the fact that the program desperately needs talent and you can play early on? Well, maybe not since KF is out in public saying he thinks it would be a good idea for freshman to be ineligible.

The program just reeks of mediocrity, and most of us see it. If this post makes you think that I don't get it, please explain to me why schools like Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Kansas State can get kids to come there and Iowa can't?

Originally posted by Pepperman:
The program just reeks of mediocrity, and most of us see it. If this post makes you think that I don't get it, please explain to me why schools like Wisconsin, Nebraska, or Kansas State can get kids to come there and Iowa can't?
Maybe this is, in fact, your issue. Do you really think that Kansas State is routinely out-recruiting Iowa?

All from Rivals:
2015 - Iowa: 58, KSU: 45; KS had 2 more recruits total, both had 1 4*, KS had 1 more 3*. Iowa had a higher average ranking. (.01)
2014 - Iowa: 59, KSU: 47; KS had 1 more recruit total, both had 2 4*, KS had 1 more 3*.
2013 - Iowa: 53, KSU: 66; Iowa had 2 more recruit total, KSU had 2 more 4* but 8 less 3*, Iowa had a higher per average.

I won't even go back further, where Iowa consistently out-recruited KState.

Look, I'm not trying to convince anyone that Iowa's recruiting is up to snuff, it isn't, what I'm trying to educate on is the fact that Snyder is an amazing-mfing-coach, a hall of famer. Of course we all wish he was at Iowa, even at 75 years old. But Kansas State is not "getting kids to come" to Manhattan any more than Iowa is to Iowa City.

Yes, Wisconsin recruiting is beating Iowa, hell they've been in the Rose Bowl a lot recently, of course we are jealous, but they aren't recruiting to the point of, say, Ohio State, or even lesser SEC schools. Iowa outrecruited Wisconsin two years ago (per rivals ranking), three years ago, and four years ago.

Maybe sell the fact that Iowa plays its games on national television. Maybe sell the fact that (somehow) KF & Co have sent quite a few kids on to the NFL. Maybe get with the times and sell the fact that the program desperately needs talent and you can play early on?
If you think that they dont, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe it is IOWA that they don't want to come to.

Maybe sell the fact that Iowa plays its games on national television. Maybe sell the fact that (somehow) KF & Co have sent quite a few kids on to the NFL. Maybe get with the times and sell the fact that the program desperately needs talent and you can play early on?
If you think that they dont, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe it is IOWA that they don't want to come to.
You think they are selling that? From the results I've seen lately, looks like some pitching, but not much selling.

As far as the constant idea that players to not want to play in Iowa due to location, seems weird that Kirk was able to bring in a top 10 class during his tenure to poor little ol' Iowa. So my question is, did Iowa City, IA change after 2005, or did the perception of the program/coaches?

The brand new shiny shoe doesn't fit KFs stale and boring pitch anymore. We got the car, just not the driver.

I think it would be respectable for KF to step down and I think he does next year. Unfortunately we have the ace Barta replacing him.

IA football is starting to feel like a bad sitcom.

Originally posted by Edenprairiehawk:
We just completed the new facilities so of coarse they havn't helped yet. The recruits have to see them first.
Exactly, As we see with Fran in bb...new facilities can help but are no sure thing...

They are. Google. Check the BTN , they are.

Re: Facilities: "Not going to find better setup in the country."[/URL]HerkysDad posted on 4/14/2015...

Why isn't the Hawkeye promotions department handling this with a first class video of what we have to offer? You have to bait the hook if you want to get some nibbles.

Where do you think the 2nd best players from Cali go with UCLA, USC, Stanford

Re: Facilities: "Not going to find better setup in the country."[/URL]Pepperman posted on 4/17/2015...

That's true for the very best kids in California, Texas, Florida, etc... but go get the second-best kids in these markets. They are still much better than some slow plodder that played Iowa 2A football and has offers from Buffalo, Central Michigan, and the Hawks.

Maybe sell the fact that Iowa plays its games on national television. Maybe sell the fact that (somehow) KF & Co have sent quite a few kids on to the NFL. Maybe get with the times and sell the fact that the program desperately needs talent and you can play early on? Well, maybe not since KF is out in public saying he thinks it would be a good idea for freshman to be ineligible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT